What Makes Marijuana Medical Grade?

trichcycler

growgoddess,

would you share your source for the Everclear190 in your gallery? pease

I got the 190 Everclear from Wine Chateau, the link Northern Labs posted.

I am going to try 192 proof polish vodka next. Here is a direct link to that. It is a bit more expensive from the Wine Chateau, but the other stores will not ship to MI. I have heard others say they prefer it over the 190 Everclear, soon I will make my own assessment of that. http://www.winechateau.com/sku1087157_POLMOS-VODKA-SPIRYTUS-192@-750ML

For some reason in my gallery here the picture does not go to full size and you cannot read the fine print on the polish vodka label.  Here is the polish vodka and the 190 Everclear.

Grain Alcohol Solvent 1 18 14 006

Northern Labs is correct, the liter is a little bit of a better deal, but it is a much better deal to order more than one bottle when it comes to the shipping fees.

I prefer to extract with 99% iso  then winterize with the grain alcohol.

I am vaping that right now and it is the best yet!

31BC9OjbFDL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg  I've used this for years for the task. A simple thermostat change out and voila.  A gallon of wine will produce a quart of clear 160, and four of those run again will make a perfect 198. takes about an hour per run. I was looking for a faster solution like the everclear. thanks for the link!! on it!

They have herbal extract stills that already have a different thermostat set for alcohol extraction.

Sorry, essential oil stills:

http://www.steamdistiller.com/servlet/the-304/Megahome-EasyStill-alcohol-distiller/Detail

Edited by Norby

Seems like different types of 190 all have their own unique taste/smell. Organic cane EtOH has a hint of banana aroma.

I have been told that too. People mention that they prefer the polish vodka vs. the Everclear. They said the vodka seemed to leave no solvent taste like the everclear did.

I did do one comparison and I compared iso extraction winterized with everclear compared to the initial oil and they tasted the same to me. The winterized product seemed a little cleaner. The initial iso oil was already clean, I was just doing an experiment. I was surprised, I thought there would be a noticeable taste from the everclear.

Maybe the taste is only noticeable when you do a full process and extract with the grain alcohol. I have done one full extraction with the 190 everclear but I did not get to compare it.

I got the 190 Everclear from Wine Chateau, the link Northern Labs posted.

I am going to try 192 proof polish vodka next. Here is a direct link to that. It is a bit more expensive from the Wine Chateau, but the other stores will not ship to MI. I have heard others say they prefer it over the 190 Everclear, soon I will make my own assessment of that. http://www.winechateau.com/sku1087157_POLMOS-VODKA-SPIRYTUS-192@-750ML

For some reason in my gallery here the picture does not go to full size and you cannot read the fine print on the polish vodka label.  Here is the polish vodka and the 190 Everclear.

Northern Labs is correct, the liter is a little bit of a better deal, but it is a much better deal to order more than one bottle when it comes to the shipping fees.

I prefer to extract with 99% iso  then winterize with the grain alcohol.

I am vaping that right now and it is the best yet!

ISO definitely strips better than ethanol, so I bet the extract using straight ethanol would be slightly different. Not better or worse, just different.

I think I'm going to try that polish vodka next. My cane alcohol is almost gone.

I have been told that too. People mention that they prefer the polish vodka vs. the Everclear. They said the vodka seemed to leave no solvent taste like the everclear did.

I did do one comparison and I compared iso extraction winterized with everclear compared to the initial oil and they tasted the same to me. The winterized product seemed a little cleaner. The initial iso oil was already clean, I was just doing an experiment. I was surprised, I thought there would be a noticeable taste from the everclear.

Maybe the taste is only noticeable when you do a full process and extract with the grain alcohol. I have done one full extraction with the 190 everclear but I did not get to compare it.

Distill it first and there will be no taste at all. Really, any taste from a solvent is a red flag. It should be gone.

Ha !! dad had one of those Iso towers when I was a toddler!  holy crap, still around.

I like me tami  for the closed loop, safety.Tami175-web-275x275.jpg

I don't know too much about distillers. I have done a little research, but not too much.

I am all for a still to purify the alcohol. I just wanted to get everything mastered first, then I will worry about waste. Many people have recommended distillers for making the oil over a rice cooker and coffee mug warmer for purging. I have not seen one that seemed worthy to buy. Everything I have seen so far I feel is unacceptable for my use.

After many times using the coffee mug warmer to do the final purge, I quickly noticed that the bottom oil was thicker than the top. In other words, it was starting to burn the oil. Think of it like spaghetti sauce. If you do not stir the pot while simmering the sauce, it will thicken and burn to the bottom of the pan. That is why I am still using a rice cooker and coffee mug warmer. Also, I want to be able to see the oil and stir it to see how thick it is. In my opinion, the oil is very delicate. I need to see it, I need to feel it, to determine when it is done.

I think I recall Grassmatch mentioning a unit that spins or rotates? or maybe I was dreaming..... :P

Distill it first and there will be no taste at all. Really, any taste from a solvent is a red flag. It should be gone.

There was no solvent taste for me. I have yet to produce any oil where I could taste solvent. Hopefully never.

What I do get is super ganja taste! The whoop. With the right equipment, super, super smooth, however, it can be very expando.

There was no solvent taste for me. I have yet to produce any oil where I could taste solvent. Hopefully never.

What I do get is super ganja taste! The whoop. With the right equipment, super, super smooth, however, it can be very expando.

Rotovap. Pretty nice units, tight temp control, keeps product gently agitated, solvent recovery is good. Been dreaming of one myself.

Just can't figure out how you'd get the reduced extract cleanly and completely out of the boiling flask without solvent or heat.

The tabletop distilling units with their large opening seem to be better suited for scraping out reduced extract.

I don't know too much about distillers. I have done a little research, but not too much.

I am all for a still to purify the alcohol. I just wanted to get everything mastered first, then I will worry about waste. Many people have recommended distillers for making the oil over a rice cooker and coffee mug warmer for purging. I have not seen one that seemed worthy to buy. Everything I have seen so far I feel is unacceptable for my use.

After many times using the coffee mug warmer to do the final purge, I quickly noticed that the bottom oil was thicker than the top. In other words, it was starting to burn the oil. Think of it like spaghetti sauce. If you do not stir the pot while simmering the sauce, it will thicken and burn to the bottom of the pan. That is why I am still using a rice cooker and coffee mug warmer. Also, I want to be able to see the oil and stir it to see how thick it is. In my opinion, the oil is very delicate. I need to see it, I need to feel it, to determine when it is done.

I think I recall Grassmatch mentioning a unit that spins or rotates? or maybe I was dreaming..... :P

You still use the coffee warmer, you just use more alcohol and reclaim it till you get to a cup left, when it's still liquid but concentrated.  Then move on to the metal cup and coffee warmer for the final steps.

everclear  how much dissolved solids are in that stuff,?

I have no idea, but I can say this. When I did my comparison, I did the winterizing process with iso and a separate batch with everclear to compare each. More so to compare the polar non-polar issue. The everclear came out more clear and even though it sounds odd, there was less remains in the coffee filter when I winterized it. When I winterized the same oil with iso, the final product came out darker, there was more remains in the coffee filter, and yet the oil came out darker. Other than that, each final product tasted the same and the return was very close.

The only PITA with using the 190 everclear, for me at least, when comparing it to 99% isopropyl alcohol is when I make QWISO hash. I let it naturally air dry, the alcohol evaporates first and there is water remaining. It requires more time to evaporate the water, but what makes it a PITA is the oil has basically hardened up at that point and is very difficult to remove from the pan by the time the water has evaporated. When I use the 99% iso I did not run into that issue.

QWISO BBJ 190 12 12 13 011

I ended up diluting it with more everclear and poured it into my purge pan, put a coffee filter over it with a rubberband and let it evaporate for about a week. Warmed it up to make it fluid and sucked it up into a syringe.

QWISO BBJ 190 12 12 13 019

I have no idea, but I can say this. When I did my comparison, I did the winterizing process with iso and a separate batch with everclear to compare each. More so to compare the polar non-polar issue. The everclear came out more clear and even though it sounds odd, there was less remains in the coffee filter when I winterized it. When I winterized the same oil with iso, the final product came out darker, there was more remains in the coffee filter, and yet the oil came out darker. Other than that, each final product tasted the same and the return was very close.

The only PITA with using the 190 everclear, for me at least, when comparing it to 99% isopropyl alcohol is when I make QWISO hash. I let it naturally air dry, the alcohol evaporates first and there is water remaining. It requires more time to evaporate the water, but what makes it a PITA is the oil has basically hardened up at that point and is very difficult to remove from the pan by the time the water has evaporated. When I use the 99% iso I did not run into that issue.

I ended up diluting it with more everclear and poured it into my purge pan, put a coffee filter over it with a rubberband and let it evaporate for about a week. Warmed it up to make it fluid and sucked it up into a syringe.

The ISO is better at stripping plant lipids and waxes. That's why you have more material in your filter when you winterized the ISO extract with ethanol than you did using ethanol as a first wash.

Water does get in the way of extracting, so the 4-5% water content in 190 can make a difference. Distilling your ethanol to near 200 proof pre-quick wash may get you better returns.

Funny thing about ethanol, a little water actually lowers the boiling point, so evaporating under heat and vac is somewhat easier using 190 than it is using 200 proof.

You still use the coffee warmer, you just use more alcohol and reclaim it till you get to a cup left, when it's still liquid but concentrated.  Then move on to the metal cup and coffee warmer for the final steps.

Good point, but I still am not comfortable with not being able to see it. In the rice cooker stage, I still need to see it and rotate it. If I did not rotate it, the oil would become damaged in my opinion.

I know distillers are the better way to go, especially to save on the expense of solvents. I have just not come across a distiller that meets my needs. I don't want to risk 10 ounces of my best buds to accidentally over heat and ruin a batch of oil. Maybe I am just overcautious, just don't have the nads to try something new, really, I don't! :D

I am kind of a person that when something works, and is satisfactory, it is hard to get me to change methods without 100% confidence.

Good point, but I still am not comfortable with not being able to see it. In the rice cooker stage, I still need to see it and rotate it. If I did not rotate it, the oil would become damaged in my opinion.

I know distillers are the better way to go, especially to save on the expense of solvents. I have just not come across a distiller that meets my needs. I don't want to risk 10 ounces of my best buds to accidentally over heat and ruin a batch of oil. Maybe I am just overcautious, just don't have the nads to try something new, really, I don't! :D

I am kind of a person that when something works, and is satisfactory, it is hard to get me to change methods without 100% confidence.

good to know.  I haven't even done a batch yet or bought the distiller.  Just going by the video I saw online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZUr5q_c4vI

yep, but my water distiller was a garage sale 5 dollar item, I couldn't resist to tinker. Used to be fun.

They have herbal extract stills that already have a different thermostat set for alcohol extraction.

Sorry, essential oil stills:

http://www.steamdistiller.com/servlet/the-304/Megahome-EasyStill-alcohol-distiller/Detail

tamisium uses 2 ounces at a time, or less. with the smaller model pictured. no heat is necessary, but 109f turns the process into a few minutes to reclaim 100% of the solvent instead of hours.

The distiller I use is only used to make the solvent  for later use.

I use a percolator often with cannabis. I used it like a soxhlet distiller for  awhile, now just teas and bhang.

Thanks for posting the video Norby, pretty cool and worthy to try. I would recommend using a rice cooker first until you get used to making oil. I like how they show you can pop the lid and check on the progress to make sure that the oil is not being damaged. I am almost to the point of reclaiming. There are a couple steps in the video that I don't agree with. Like pressing down on the bud material. There should not be a need to if they are bone dry. The buds should just crumble with one exception. Some strains buds are so dense they will not crumble, like Quish. I don't completely agree with their filtering. The only I see need for a paper coffee filter is in the winterizing process. Gravity does better filtering that what was shown in the video. For instance, being patient and letting the "sediment" settle to the bottom of your jar or pan, then pouring off the solvent, careful not to pour out the sediment. Otherwise, in the video it shows they have the process down pretty well.

Hey Grassmatch, that is pretty cool that the tamisium can do it with little to no heat. There is a big difference between decarbed and non decarbed oil when it comes to vaping. There is a lot more to it than this but, one example is an oil not being decarbed, like QWISO. It can be used in vaporizers like the Eclipse Vape with great results. If it were a decarbed oil the vaping process becomes more heat sensitive. With e-cannabis oil, the heat can be dialed in precise to the oil to where you can vape decarbed oil just as well as non decarbed oil. There is a difference in the buzz though even when using the same strains to make each oil. Non decarbed oil reminds me of a sativa buzz and the decarbed oil is more like an indica buzz.

Thanks for sharing!

decarbing can be done while the oil is still under vacuum, with all solvent removed, with a digital/lab heat plate to precise temps, all inside a no smell no leak safe environment, and nothing escapes !  every check is done with an included laser thermo, a postal digi scale, and a hot plate. a pressure gage is included, but needed for me only a couple times. after standard procedure is settled on, nothing changes. Decarbing can also be done in the surgical stainless steel herb container. the thing weighs near 5 pounds, just the herb part in the middle alone ! this can be put in an oven at set temp all closed up and heated, without the solvent part connected. A great option to keeping oven decarbing smells down.  Recapture is seen in real time as a tare weighted solvent container(top part) is disconnected from the unit, and placed on a scale. when the scale returns to the original amount used its done. 100% recovery, and guaranteed. When it comes out, that's my final step. I have refined it, but patients choice, left alone with all of the preserved terpenes. about 5 grams/oz, if curious. just buds, not crushed or ground, but compressed hard into place.

What you do so that you don't scorch the oil is to just use the distiller until the batch is down to what you can fit in a small baby food jar. You finish that off slowly in the oven. You only run a couple ounces at a time so there's no chance you will lose 10 ounces of your best buds. I've scorched a few batches and it's still fine. You just lose what gets stuck to the pan or jar. Actually, scorching is a method to remove some of the plant sugars you don't need. Another method to remove the sugars is to get them to the soft ball stage and then swish a toothpick around in the oil. The sugars stick to the pick. Sometimes the best breakthoughs are from 'making mistakes' with a new process. Edited by Restorium2

I wouldnt want to try anything new if I was using 10 zips of budd either, if it isnt broke dont fix it!

Peace

edit= I apreciate what you do for pt's keep up the good you do!

Edited by phaquetoo