White House Response To The Ny Times Editorial Board's Call For Federal Marijuana Legalization

cheapshades

Ritalin has been shown to stunt growth in children but who cares?  I mean you can care but pointing to the downside of some treatments isn't a good way to somehow gain approval for marijuana use.  Furthermore marijuana has been shown to meddle with intellectual development as Indigro indicates.  But who cares?  No one is advocating for marijuana use among those with developing brains. You can't get distracted by arguments that are useless.  Legalizing marijuana for adults doesn't mean we are advocating its use for kids.

You have to focus on the primary argument which is that marijuana is relatively safe and relatively harmless. It shouldn't be outlawed because the state wants to play big brother.

Frank,

No one has used science to prove that. There is no scientific study that was done scientifically that shows this. We can win all the real science minds on this one. Why did you write that hogwash?

I'm not writing it as fact I am saying that if you take their arguments at face value they are still not a reason to outlaw marijuana.  They are collateral arguments that have no bearing on the real issue.

Huffing paint fumes is more damaging that marijuana yet I don't see an age requirement to buy a can of rustoleum like we now require for cold medicine.  So that is something more dangerous than marijuana that kids do.  But it's collateral.  We can stand on the merits of our case it what I am saying.  TNT is dangerous and you need a permit to buy it and we don't allow kids to buy it or possess it and we still keep it legal.  When the good outweighs the bad you accept the bad and regulate it.  That's all I am saying.

Children get treated with medical cannabis for seizures, and other things. I wouldn't want to say they are going to be mentally impaired by it unless it is proven, which it is not.

There's a lot going on in a developing brain. Introducing practically any chemical will have some effect. How much & what kind... granted, we have no scientific studies. But it stands to reason that there will be some effect. Heck, it may be positive & say make people more empathetic.

Public health problems my arse! :butt2:

If any become apparent, which I insist will be far less than those of alcohol and tobacco, if at all. Colorado is key. Watching its rates of treatment will reveal loads. I think we will see little if any change in the case of minors, but adult treatment will be seriously diminished. Without the courts sending us to rehab for possession that myth will be exploded.