Anyone Vaporized Individual Terpenes?

trichcycler

option? Not sure what that means, but those "cannabis additives" are much less dangerous than a bud flavor enhancer. The point being thre is more fluffla here now over someone adding vanilla to their stem water than there ever has been when one mentions floraminte or egle 20 being added to their cannabis to enhance/support medicinal crops is all.

This community has widely accepted flavoring of cannabis oil with little negativity. These types of flavorings are sold in smoke shops everywhere. From peppermint to bubble gum, and even sold now under the dispensary glass, = pre flavored cannabis oil".

The issue here is that I have reported yet again one more subject That Resto believes is easy fodder to post his disdain for me/my avatar. The remainder of posters are enjoying the "ginning of the crowd" perhaps, not sure?

You can take my disdain for poisonous(and other) additives personal or not. If you take it personal then it leads one to believe you are defending your own choices. 

The message will stay the same through all your off topic and straw man arguments;

If you add these flavorings and scents to your cannabis make sure everyone who partakes knows you added something that didn't grow there.

Pretty simple.

No drama.

Message over.

I'm done until I see a place for another 'message'.

Here's a personal message for you grass; Go back over all the deeply personal cut downs you have typed about me and see that you are a very bad poster here in anyone's standards. How do you think that a long time poster here would like to be treated and how that person can 'move on' after deeply personal insults? There's no 'returning' from where you went. You really shouldn't have went there, ever. 

Edited by Restorium2

I am not complaining, only trying to show the few of you that I do not condone flavoring of cannabis, however many here do. Each time Bud Candy or the huge list of other cannabis flavor enhancers(now censored form my post??) is used to grow, there is little difference. Admin decided to delete my post asking for usage reviews of that product, and others, like Floralicious, with banana flavoring. Both are used throughout history of this forum with little concern, until now, when the scientific explanations come forth. Showing what was censored may have provided better clarity to you and others on this subject. Sweeping it under the rug, well, dunno what that's about.

My retorts are towards any implying that I flavor my cannabis, or would, to trick an "unsuspecting patient". I find it funny that those who use Bud Flavor Enhancers like mentioned in this forum do not believe anything to be flawed with the practice, until now.

It's not a right or wrong thing. its personal choice. some persons denounce the practice, some of the time, now that's funny!

I suspect this thread too will be censored, just about the time I've shown all the evidence of cannabis flavoring experiences our members actually DO have? it's your show, I'm just posting in it, so no worries.

peace

terpenes are just other medicines produced by MJ AND other plants.

well, terpentine is a mixture of terpenes from plants. i dont see anyone calling turpentine a medicine (anymore)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine#Medicinal_elixir

As an organic solvent, its vapour can irritate the skin and eyes, damage the lungs and respiratory system, as well as the central nervous system when inhaled, and cause renal failure when ingested, among other things. Being combustible, it also poses a fire hazard. Due to the fact that turpentine can cause spasms of the airways particularly in people with asthma and whooping cough, it can contribute to a worsening of breathing issues in persons with these diseases if inhaled.

terpenes can be good or bad, depending on the amount. the amount of terpenes in marijuana is low enough for humans to consume. much like other edible plants.

so let me put this another way, if you can tell me how many mangoes i would have to eat, to get that same amount of "5% terpene" oil, then some of us would even consider ingesting random distilled terpenes. of course, we would also like to know how they are extracted and concentrated and from what plant(s) they come from, just like we ask on all of the foods we eat.

we eat aspirin because we know where aspirin comes from. same with alcohol. now where do your terpene concentrations come from? what country? china?

I am not complaining, only trying to show the few of you that I do not condone flavoring of cannabis, however many here do. Each time Bud Candy or the huge list of other cannabis flavor enhancers(now censored form my post??) is used to grow, there is little difference. Admin decided to delete my post asking for usage reviews of that product, and others, like Floralicious, with banana flavoring. Both are used throughout history of this forum with little concern, until now, when the scientific explanations come forth. Showing what was censored may have provided better clarity to you and others on this subject. Sweeping it under the rug, well, dunno what that's about.

My retorts are towards any implying that I flavor my cannabis, or would, to trick an "unsuspecting patient". I find it funny that those who use Bud Flavor Enhancers like mentioned in this forum do not believe anything to be flawed with the practice, until now.

It's not a right or wrong thing. its personal choice. some persons denounce the practice, some of the time, now that's funny!

I suspect this thread too will be censored, just about the time I've shown all the evidence of cannabis flavoring experiences our members actually DO have? it's your show, I'm just posting in it, so no worries.

peace

No one cares what you do grass. Never was about you being right or wrong or what YOU do. That's where you went off track and got all personal insulty. This was NEVER about you at all. Now you just want to be right and 'to heck' with everything else.

straight from Cali? http://marijuanadrops.com/

vitamin A is a Terpene, currently

Steroids, for example, are derivatives of the triterpene squalene today.

Terpenes form the basis of some antiseptics, expectorants, gastrointestinal drugs, and pain relievers used commonly today.

The two most common terpenes studied include camphor and turpentine, but medicinal oils also appear in eucalyptus, lavender, thyme, mint, and hundreds of other plants. They appear in the leaves, bark, roots, and flowers of these plants. This chemical naturally wards off insects and herbivores, and aids in pollination.

well, terpentine is a mixture of terpenes from plants. i dont see anyone calling turpentine a medicine (anymore)...

As an organic solvent, its vapour can irritate the skin and eyes, damage the lungs and respiratory system, as well as the central nervous system when inhaled, and cause renal failure when ingested, among other things. Being combustible, it also poses a fire hazard. Due to the fact that turpentine can cause spasms of the airways particularly in people with asthma and whooping cough, it can contribute to a worsening of breathing issues in persons with these diseases if inhaled.

terpenes can be good or bad, depending on the amount. the amount of terpenes in marijuana is low enough for humans to consume. much like other edible plants.

so let me put this another way, if you can tell me how many mangoes i would have to eat, to get that same amount of "5% terpene" oil, then some of us would even consider ingesting random distilled terpenes. of course, we would also like to know how they are extracted and concentrated and from what plant(s) they come from, just like we ask on all of the foods we eat.

we eat aspirin because we know where aspirin comes from. same with alcohol. now where do your terpene concentrations come from? what country? china?

Turpentine oil is made from the resin of certain pine trees. It is used as medicine.

Don’t confuse turpentine oil with gum turpentine, which is the resin.

Turpentine oil is applied to the skin for joint pain, muscle pain, nerve pain, and toothaches.

People sometimes breathe in (inhale) the vapors of turpentine oil to reduce the chest congestion that goes along with some lung diseases.

In foods and beverages, distilled turpentine oil is used as a flavoring.

In manufacturing, turpentine oil is used in soap and cosmetics and also as a paint solvent.

I have this cool book; Reference Guide for Essential Oils by Connie and Alan Higley.

It's a great book to have around for non cannabis type oils and what you can do with their flavors and scents. Not cannabis related though. They don't even mention cannabis. There's a lot of good stuff going on with oils other than cannabis oil, no doubt about it. No cannabis at all and not really comparable to cannabis effects at all. Cannabis, and it's effects are much different than these other things. That's why real cannabis is sought after through the ages. And a lot of folks would just love to find a substitute but I don't think it's going to happen. They try all the time like wild dogs with no avail. Real cannabis is KING!

interesting bit

Terpenoids and terpenes are aromatic compounds that are found in thousands of plant species, and are responsible for the various flavours and fragrances of cannabis. We have known about their presence in cannabis for decades, but it is only recently that awareness of their potential therapeutic properties has begun to expand.

Don't fear the reefer terpenes!

Terpenes are a large class of naturally-occurring organic compounds; they are also known as isoprenes, as their structure is based on repeating isoprene (C₅H₈) units. Terpenes are major constituents of plant resin and essential oils extracted from such plants.

Terpenes are basic hydrocarbons, whereas terpenoids contain extra functional groups that could be comprised of a range of chemical elements. However, it is common for the term ‘terpene’ to also include terpenoids in many existing writings. Terpenoids, also known as isoprenoids, are the largest group of organic compounds found thus far, comprising at least 20,000 distinct molecules.

The isoprene rule

Limonene, which is comprised of two linked isoprene units, can be expressed as (C₅H₈)₂, which equates to C₁₀H₁₆. Several other terpenes also have this structure, but the two isoprene units are arranged differently; collectively, they are known as monoterpenes (the mono- prefix refers to the number of complete terpene units; i.e. one terpene unit equals two isoprene units).

Terpenoids with three linked isoprene units are known as sesquiterpenes (sesqui- meaning 1.5), and those with four are diterpenes, and so on. The formula (C₅H₈)n, where n is the number of linked isoprene units, is known as the isoprene rule, and is one of nature’s most common building blocks.

The cannabis plant produces cannabinoids through a convoluted series of chemical reactions that is thought to involve terpenes as ‘building blocks’. Cannabinoids are known as terpenophenolic compounds, as they are comprised of terpene blocks attached to phenol (C₆H₆O) groups; as terpenes are precursors to cannabinoids, abundance of terpenes is usually a sign of high cannabinoid levels.

It is thought that cannabis contains over 120 terpenes, although many of these are found in trace amounts and may have negligible, if any, effect.

The primary terpenes and terpenoids that have been identified in cannabis are limonene, myrcene, pinene, linalool, eucalyptol, γ-terpinene, β-caryophyllene, caryophyllene oxide, nerolidol and phytol.

These compounds, unlike cannabinoids, are not unique to cannabis (although there are now indications that other plant species do contain some phytocannabinoids) and many are in fact very familiar to us.

Terpenes are volatile compounds produced by many plants, as well as some insects. Plants that produce terpenes often possess smells and flavors we find pleasing and are known as aromatic herbs. These aromatic plants have been used by cultures around the world, not only for perfumery and cooking, but also as medicine. The distinctive flavor and smell of each aromatic plant is caused by its unique blend of terpenes. 120 distinct terpenes are produced by the genus Cannabis, with the relative concentrations of the individual terpenes varying greatly among the 700 distinct strains currently in cultivation. Aside from taste and smell differences between varieties, this helps contribute to the broad diversity of potential medical applications of Cannabis. Laboratory experiments have shown that the full range of psychoactive and medical effects of Cannabis resin cannot be re-created simply with the use of pure cannabinoid type drugs like THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). Marinol and Dronabinol, two drugs containing synthetic THC that have demonstrated limited medical benefits when compared with the use of Cannabis material containing the full range of cannabinoids and terpenes. These observations indicate that in addition to the psychoactive properties present in Cannabis resin, secondary components including terpenes are either psychoactive themselves, or are able to modulate or potentiate the affect of the cannabinoids when ingested in combination. GW Pharmaceuticals has invested extensive research into Cannabis based medicines, concluding that terpenes played a significant role in the effectiveness of the medication. GW is now manufacturing the most widely used medical marijuana product in the world an oral spray called Sativex, which contains a standardized mixture of Cannabis terpenes in addition to a mix of THC and CBD (Canabidiol).

From a chemical standpoint, terpenes are a large and varied class of hydrocarbons that make up a majority of plant resins and saps. The name “terpene” comes from turpentine, a terpene-based solvent distilled from pinesap. Essential oils, composed primarily of terpenes, have a long history of topical and internal medicinal use. Cannabinoids like THC are chemically classified as terpenoids, meaning they are derived from terpenes themselves. This explains the common practice among marijuana users of judging the quality of dried cannabis or hashish based largely on the quality and intensity of the smell. In high-THC cultivars, because the THC is made from terpenes, their content is usually correlated with psycho activity.

The resinous trichromes of the cannabis plant contain both the cannabinoids as well as the terpenes, which are constantly being replaced as they evaporate from the resin. The resin of high THC cannabis contains approximately 20 percent terpenes, and 50 percent cannabinoids by weight. The essential oil has traditionally been used as a treatment for skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis, as a topical antibiotic agent, and to increase circulation. In addition to these topical uses, it is now known that terpenes present in Cannabis do possess neurological effects, altering the production of the neurotransmitters seratonin and dopamine, as well as acting as type 2 cannabinoid receptor agonists. Another significant action when used in combination with cannabinoids is their ability to alter the permeability of both cell membranes and the blood/brain barrier, causing THC and other active cannabinoids to have a faster onset and more thorough absorption. Myrcene and several other terpenes are known to act as mixed agonist/antagonists of cannabinoid receptors, modulating the effects of THC in a similar fashion to CBD (cannabidiol).

The Major Terpenes of Cannabis Resin and Their Effects

Borneol – Borneol is a major component of cannabis resin that can also be found in cinnamon and wormwood (Artemesia spp). In Chinese medicine herbs containing borneol are recommended for fatigue and overstress. Borneal is mentioned to be a calming sedative.

Corryphyllene – Corryphyllene is a major component of cannabis resin that can also be found in black pepper and cloves. It is a fairly weak agonist of the type 2 cannabinoid receptors (cb2). As a constituent of a salve or lotion corphyllene is an effective anti- inflammatory and analgesic. Drug dogs are trained to specifically sniff out corphyllene epoxide, a similar compound produced only by cannabis.

Cineole/eucalyptol – Cineole/eucalyptol content is quite variable across varieties of Cannabis, but is often a major component of the essential oil. It is also found in rosemary and eucalyptus and is used to increase circulation, and reduce pain and swelling when applied topically. It readily crosses the blood/brain barrier, possibly helping cannabinoids to cross more readily as well. The effects of cineole, when combined with oral or smoked Cannabis, are reported as being very uplifting, noticeably increasing mental and physical energy. This terpene, or others like it, may be responsible for the reported difference in effect between indica and sativa strains with a similar cannabinoid profile.

Limonene – Found in cannabis resin as well as tropical fruit rinds, limonene is an anti-bacterial, anti fungal and anti cancer agent. Currently undergoing trials for use as an anti depressant, it is also known to increase the absorption of other terpenes by making cell membranes more permeable. The presence of this anti fungal agent may be helpful in protecting against Aspergillus infection in those with compromised immunity when using spoiled or poorly cured marijuana. Limonene is currently in trials to study its ability to prevent breast cancer formation.

Delta-3-Carene – A component of cannabis, rosemary, pine, and cedar resin. Aromatherapy oils that contain high levels of delta3carene are used to dry excess fluids from the eyes, nose, or mouth. It is thought to be at least partially responsible for the dry mouth and eye problems that are common side effects of the use of cannabis.

Linalool – This major component of cannabis and lavender oils is believed to possess anti anxiety and sedative properties. Strains that are high in linalool and similar compounds may be particularly beneficial for patients who experience insomnia when consuming Cannabis.

Myrcene – Significant concentrations of myrcene are present in cannabis resin. It is also found in mango, hops, lemon grass, East Indian bay tree, and verbena. Because of its appealing fragrance, myrcene is used in the perfume industry. It has a similar modulating effect on the binding of Cannabinoid agonist drugs as Cannabidiol, possibly reducing effects of Cannabis resin that are found to be unpleasant for some medical users. It has anti microbial, anti septic, analgesic, anti oxidant, anti carcinogen and anti-inflammatory properties. It has shown some promise when used as an anti depressant, or as an additive to other anti depressant drugs and is also used in massage therapy as a muscle relaxer.

Terpineol – Minor component of Cannabis resin, used extensively in the perfume industry. Interestingly this terpene decreases motility of lab rats by 45 percent, this observation coupled with the fact that this is a terpene produced primarily in Cannabis indica plants indicates terpineol could play a role in decreased motility sometimes referred to as “couch lock”.

To get the greatest possible benefits from medical Cannabis products, its important to be aware of the common methods being used to produce this medication, and how this will affect the terpene content of the finished product. When Cannabis is exposed to heat the volatile terpenes quickly evaporate, causing the majority of hash oils currently produced for medication to be nearly devoid of terpenes. When purchasing hash oil products it is important to ask if the terpenes have been retained during processing. Ask your dispensary staff if they are aware of the manufacturing processes used in their products, and the properties of the finished medicines.

Cannabis-based salves or lotions have become a popular treatment for skin conditions, and terpenes play a major role in the effectiveness of these at treating a range of skin problems. When purchasing these types of products you should talk to your dispensary about the terpene content of the different products available as well as the cannabinoid content. When topically applied, cannabis terpenes are very effective for treating a range of skin problems. If you are a medical marijuana user who prefers to smoke or vaporize cannabis, you can increase the effect of the terpenes in you’re bud by slowly breaking it up and inhaling the aromas prior to smoking. Some concentrates that have become popular retain very little of the original terpenes. This is true of most hash oils that are extracted or dried with heat, as well as bubble hash that have lost much of the original terpenes to the water used in processing. The most concentrated terpenes are found in freshly dried buds, as well as high quality dry sift hash or kief.

It is now understood that the psychoactive and medicinal effects of the cannabis plant can’t be explained by THC and other cannabinoids alone. In order to develop a more thorough understanding of the range of medical conditions alleviated with Cannabis use, terpenes, flavonoids and alkaloids that are produced by different strains of cannabis will need to be studied to determine how they interact with cannabinoids to produce the unique healing properties of organic Cannabis resin. The importance of terpenes in medicinal cannabis is becoming more evident as the research progresses. They are responsible for many of the subtle differences between strains and in how they perform medically. As patients become more aware of the complexities of the various compounds in cannabis, they will become more discerning when choosing their medicines. Hopefully, as patients become more aware of the full potential of Cannabis preparations, it will help increase the quality of available medications, and the quality of information. Educated patients can be the driving force for further research into the almost limitless potential for the medical uses of this amazing plant.

http://cannabishealthnewsmagazine.com/news/1238/importance-of-terpenes/

Terpenes are volatile compounds produced by many plants, as well as some insects. Plants that produce terpenes often possess smells and flavors we find pleasing and are known as aromatic herbs. These aromatic plants have been used by cultures around the world, not only for perfumery and cooking, but also as medicine. The distinctive flavor and smell of each aromatic plant is caused by its unique blend of terpenes. 120 distinct terpenes are produced by the genus Cannabis, with the relative concentrations of the individual terpenes varying greatly among the 700 distinct strains currently in cultivation. Aside from taste and smell differences between varieties, this helps contribute to the broad diversity of potential medical applications of Cannabis. Laboratory experiments have shown that the full range of psychoactive and medical effects of Cannabis resin cannot be re-created simply with the use of pure cannabinoid type drugs like THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). Marinol and Dronabinol, two drugs containing synthetic THC that have demonstrated limited medical benefits when compared with the use of Cannabis material containing the full range of cannabinoids and terpenes. These observations indicate that in addition to the psychoactive properties present in Cannabis resin, secondary components including terpenes are either psychoactive themselves, or are able to modulate or potentiate the affect of the cannabinoids when ingested in combination. GW Pharmaceuticals has invested extensive research into Cannabis based medicines, concluding that terpenes played a significant role in the effectiveness of the medication. GW is now manufacturing the most widely used medical marijuana product in the world an oral spray called Sativex, which contains a standardized mixture of Cannabis terpenes in addition to a mix of THC and CBD (Canabidiol).

From a chemical standpoint, terpenes are a large and varied class of hydrocarbons that make up a majority of plant resins and saps. The name “terpene” comes from turpentine, a terpene-based solvent distilled from pinesap. Essential oils, composed primarily of terpenes, have a long history of topical and internal medicinal use. Cannabinoids like THC are chemically classified as terpenoids, meaning they are derived from terpenes themselves. This explains the common practice among marijuana users of judging the quality of dried cannabis or hashish based largely on the quality and intensity of the smell. In high-THC cultivars, because the THC is made from terpenes, their content is usually correlated with psycho activity.

The resinous trichromes of the cannabis plant contain both the cannabinoids as well as the terpenes, which are constantly being replaced as they evaporate from the resin. The resin of high THC cannabis contains approximately 20 percent terpenes, and 50 percent cannabinoids by weight. The essential oil has traditionally been used as a treatment for skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis, as a topical antibiotic agent, and to increase circulation. In addition to these topical uses, it is now known that terpenes present in Cannabis do possess neurological effects, altering the production of the neurotransmitters seratonin and dopamine, as well as acting as type 2 cannabinoid receptor agonists. Another significant action when used in combination with cannabinoids is their ability to alter the permeability of both cell membranes and the blood/brain barrier, causing THC and other active cannabinoids to have a faster onset and more thorough absorption. Myrcene and several other terpenes are known to act as mixed agonist/antagonists of cannabinoid receptors, modulating the effects of THC in a similar fashion to CBD (cannabidiol).

The Major Terpenes of Cannabis Resin and Their Effects

Borneol – Borneol is a major component of cannabis resin that can also be found in cinnamon and wormwood (Artemesia spp). In Chinese medicine herbs containing borneol are recommended for fatigue and overstress. Borneal is mentioned to be a calming sedative.

Corryphyllene – Corryphyllene is a major component of cannabis resin that can also be found in black pepper and cloves. It is a fairly weak agonist of the type 2 cannabinoid receptors (cb2). As a constituent of a salve or lotion corphyllene is an effective anti- inflammatory and analgesic. Drug dogs are trained to specifically sniff out corphyllene epoxide, a similar compound produced only by cannabis.

Cineole/eucalyptol – Cineole/eucalyptol content is quite variable across varieties of Cannabis, but is often a major component of the essential oil. It is also found in rosemary and eucalyptus and is used to increase circulation, and reduce pain and swelling when applied topically. It readily crosses the blood/brain barrier, possibly helping cannabinoids to cross more readily as well. The effects of cineole, when combined with oral or smoked Cannabis, are reported as being very uplifting, noticeably increasing mental and physical energy. This terpene, or others like it, may be responsible for the reported difference in effect between indica and sativa strains with a similar cannabinoid profile.

Limonene – Found in cannabis resin as well as tropical fruit rinds, limonene is an anti-bacterial, anti fungal and anti cancer agent. Currently undergoing trials for use as an anti depressant, it is also known to increase the absorption of other terpenes by making cell membranes more permeable. The presence of this anti fungal agent may be helpful in protecting against Aspergillus infection in those with compromised immunity when using spoiled or poorly cured marijuana. Limonene is currently in trials to study its ability to prevent breast cancer formation.

Delta-3-Carene – A component of cannabis, rosemary, pine, and cedar resin. Aromatherapy oils that contain high levels of delta3carene are used to dry excess fluids from the eyes, nose, or mouth. It is thought to be at least partially responsible for the dry mouth and eye problems that are common side effects of the use of cannabis.

Linalool – This major component of cannabis and lavender oils is believed to possess anti anxiety and sedative properties. Strains that are high in linalool and similar compounds may be particularly beneficial for patients who experience insomnia when consuming Cannabis.

Myrcene – Significant concentrations of myrcene are present in cannabis resin. It is also found in mango, hops, lemon grass, East Indian bay tree, and verbena. Because of its appealing fragrance, myrcene is used in the perfume industry. It has a similar modulating effect on the binding of Cannabinoid agonist drugs as Cannabidiol, possibly reducing effects of Cannabis resin that are found to be unpleasant for some medical users. It has anti microbial, anti septic, analgesic, anti oxidant, anti carcinogen and anti-inflammatory properties. It has shown some promise when used as an anti depressant, or as an additive to other anti depressant drugs and is also used in massage therapy as a muscle relaxer.

Terpineol – Minor component of Cannabis resin, used extensively in the perfume industry. Interestingly this terpene decreases motility of lab rats by 45 percent, this observation coupled with the fact that this is a terpene produced primarily in Cannabis indica plants indicates terpineol could play a role in decreased motility sometimes referred to as “couch lock”.

To get the greatest possible benefits from medical Cannabis products, its important to be aware of the common methods being used to produce this medication, and how this will affect the terpene content of the finished product. When Cannabis is exposed to heat the volatile terpenes quickly evaporate, causing the majority of hash oils currently produced for medication to be nearly devoid of terpenes. When purchasing hash oil products it is important to ask if the terpenes have been retained during processing. Ask your dispensary staff if they are aware of the manufacturing processes used in their products, and the properties of the finished medicines.

Cannabis-based salves or lotions have become a popular treatment for skin conditions, and terpenes play a major role in the effectiveness of these at treating a range of skin problems. When purchasing these types of products you should talk to your dispensary about the terpene content of the different products available as well as the cannabinoid content. When topically applied, cannabis terpenes are very effective for treating a range of skin problems. If you are a medical marijuana user who prefers to smoke or vaporize cannabis, you can increase the effect of the terpenes in you’re bud by slowly breaking it up and inhaling the aromas prior to smoking. Some concentrates that have become popular retain very little of the original terpenes. This is true of most hash oils that are extracted or dried with heat, as well as bubble hash that have lost much of the original terpenes to the water used in processing. The most concentrated terpenes are found in freshly dried buds, as well as high quality dry sift hash or kief.

It is now understood that the psychoactive and medicinal effects of the cannabis plant can’t be explained by THC and other cannabinoids alone. In order to develop a more thorough understanding of the range of medical conditions alleviated with Cannabis use, terpenes, flavonoids and alkaloids that are produced by different strains of cannabis will need to be studied to determine how they interact with cannabinoids to produce the unique healing properties of organic Cannabis resin. The importance of terpenes in medicinal cannabis is becoming more evident as the research progresses. They are responsible for many of the subtle differences between strains and in how they perform medically. As patients become more aware of the complexities of the various compounds in cannabis, they will become more discerning when choosing their medicines. Hopefully, as patients become more aware of the full potential of Cannabis preparations, it will help increase the quality of available medications, and the quality of information. Educated patients can be the driving force for further research into the almost limitless potential for the medical uses of this amazing plant.

http://cannabishealthnewsmagazine.com/news/1238/importance-of-terpenes/

Like I said, knowledge is power.  I said what is wrong with adding terpenes found in your mj back to the levels before you decarbed it, while extracting it from the same cannabis without heat.  This way you can remove the terpenes and THC from the cannabis, separate them, decarb the THC and add the terpenes back to the oil?  As I said, I don't know why anyone would get up in arms about that.

I only wanted the synthetic terpenes to match scents.  I already said I'd never add synthetic terpenes to something to be smoked/ingested and only talked about replacing what was lost by decarbing for medibles with terpenes at the levels found before decarb.

Yet I remember a thread about smoking peppercorns to reduce anxiety associated with hi THC levels?  Didn't someone recommend or do that recently?

Edited by Norby

You could decarb in a sealed system, reclaim your terpenes boiled off during decarb, and add them back to the extract afterward.

Natural terpenes, produced by the very plant they were extracted from...

Ah, much better than using terpenes from other plants. No one can say that terpenes from other plants are the same, or they act the same, as cannabis terpenes. No one has ever come close to proving that and anecdotal evidence points to there being no substitute for real cannabis terpenes.

In an attempt to decide the usefulness of this theory;

What is the minimum temp you need to attain to decarb? What temp do you need to attain to boil off the terpenes? 

When I use minimum temps I don't think I'm boiling off anything medically useful to me. Nothing to 'add back'.

Edited by Restorium2

I usually place a beaker of raw extract on a hot plate at 300 degrees.

I place a temp probe in the extract. You can watch the lighter components boil off one at a time as the temp rises. Depending on batch size, decarbing usually takes approximately 30 minutes, while holding the extract above 250 and below 290 for at least 20 minutes, or until I see the tiny co2 bubbles slow or stop.

There are terps with higher bp's than cannabinoids, so those are left behind.

GM, I would suggest capturing them all at once, instead of individually, at least at first.

I usually place a beaker of raw extract on a hot plate at 300 degrees.

I place a temp probe in the extract. You can watch the lighter components boil off one at a time as the temp rises. Depending on batch size, decarbing usually takes approximately 30 minutes, while holding the extract above 250 and below 290 for at least 20 minutes, or until I see the tiny co2 bubbles slow or stop.

There are terps with higher bp's than cannabinoids, so those are left behind.

GM, I would suggest capturing them all at once, instead of individually, at least at first.

excellent! ty. I already do capture them all at once. now I want to know the proper equipment and procedures for isolation of individuals. I know it is being done. I've "captured" and bottled my butt off here, but no way to label/quantify the solutions. I do have some better fun with distilling some of these. But then hydrosols start to confuse me, then I light up again. you know how that goes....