Can Police Use A ‘Borrowed’ Marijuana Card?

bobandtorey

are you now going to now advise people to deviate form state instructions?

because the "card is far from bulletproof protection" ?

cwazy. I'm done debating whether or not to advise people to

Grassmatch =follow state instructions

Resto=not necessary

grassmatch = will not read and is being silly

Restorium = reads well, understands what he reads and is a realist

There you go since you wanted to get all personal about it. Find a way to not go there and you will go further next time. 

I am serious. the state checked the doctors credentials, and I could easily assume they do in each case. Like the criminal background check, valid identification.

If a seller in court was defrauded by a dishonest patient aspiring to gain access to marijuana, and only the exchange of a written agreement was presented in lieu of the registration system in place do you think the Judge will favor the seller for his reluctance to use the already in place system of registration to grow and sell mj ?

ps-your paper has been published before I was a member here, and came with heated debate. I do not wish to debate the efficacy of the forms legal protections, as it most likely has not been tested yet in court. Since you brought it up though, I felt these were obvious issues, perhaps already remedied/considered by you. I'm sorry for the rehash if you have already considered these issues.

I think that those judges who practice reasonable jurisprudence will have to dismiss the charges if and when the three necessary prongs to a sec. 8 defense have been proved. The plain text of the law requires that. That there are irresponsible judges who fail in their obligation to the laws does not change those laws.

Again. We can hope to know better if the evidence those types of agreements and supporting documents can and/or must be permitted when evidentiary issues in Hartwick/Tuttle are decided. My hope and expectation is that they are found adequate and admissible in those cases where they support necessary facts and no other facts diminish the defense.

Even in the appeals court's opinion in People v Hartwick, it appears that something so basic as a letter could serve as evidence of the affirmative defense:

edit: somehow i doubt the coa will accept evidence that even it said would be useful.

Edited by t-pain

Even in the appeals court's opinion in People v Hartwick, it appears that something so basic as a letter could serve as evidence of the affirmative defense:

Were the trial court to address this element of § 8, it appears that a letter from a patient’s
physician to the caregiver, which details: (1) a bona-fide physician patient relationship, (2) the
patient’s medical condition, (3) how much marijuana is needed to alleviate the condition, and (4)
for how long a patient should take the drug, could serve as evidence that the marijuana supplied
by the caregiver is actually used for medical purposes under subsection 3.

The law does not require that a physician correspond with a caregiver, state to the caregiver a patient's medical condition, state how much a patient should take, or specify how long a patient should take the drug. The jurists in the cases pulled those requirements straight out of their azzes. That, I think, is an important point that needs to be addressed, and the Supreme Court should rule that the parties need not engage in those.

Edited by GregS

The law does not require that a physician correspond with a caregiver, state to the caregiver a patient's medical condition, or specify how long a patient should take the drug. The jurists in the cases pulled those requirements straight out of their azzes. That, I think, is an important point that needs to be addressed, and the Supreme Court should rule that the parties need not engage in those.

Let hope so because they way things are now are not good for cg/pt 

The law does not require that a physician correspond with a caregiver, state to the caregiver a patient's medical condition, or specify how long a patient should take the drug. The jurists in the cases pulled those requirements straight out of their azzes. That, I think, is an important point that needs to be addressed, and the Supreme Court should rule that the parties need not engage in those.

No it doesn't BUT I wouldn't mind having a letter like that anytime I went to court to prove medical use. It would make me feel like I had a little more solid ground to stand on. Then when the doctor testified in front of the judge it would show that everyone had been on the same page all along with what was medical use for the patient. 

Inasmuch as it is widely stated that

No it doesn't BUT I wouldn't mind having a letter like that anytime I went to court to prove medical use. It would make me feel like I had a little more solid ground to stand on. Then when the doctor testified in front of the judge it would show that everyone had been on the same page all along with what was medical use for the patient. 

Agreed. Properly executed written records can only help and may well work to keep the doctor from testifying; something that defense attorneys agree is not a good thing. Any agreement between the parties can and should be tailored to their interests. Maybe the SC will say something about that. These issues can and should be pointed up in the defense amicus briefs that are permitted.

But will a Judge let something like that into Court ? they still won't let a Jury see a card as i know of

Michigan Rules of Evidence

General Provisions

101 - Scope of Rules

- Rules govern proceedings in cts of MI w/ exceptions of Rule 1101. Statutes concerning evidence that do not conflict w/ these or other SCt rules are effective unless superseded by rule or decision of SCt.

> Rules do not preclude objections to the validity of a rule

> Rules apply to civil & criminal, jury & bench trials

> If statute or case law conflicts, MRE takes precedence

> Arbitration does not use MRE unless specified

Fed Rule 101 - Fed Rules govern all cts of US & magistrates & subject to applicability of FRE 1101. 2d sentence of MRE 101 not present.

102 - Purpose

- Rules intended to secure fairness in administration, elimination of unjustifiable expense & delay, & promotion of growth & development of the law of evidence to the end that the truth may be ascertained & proceedings justly determined.

The rest of the rules are here:

General Provisions

101 - Scope of Rules

- Rules govern proceedings in cts of MI w/ exceptions of Rule 1101. Statutes concerning evidence that do not conflict w/ these or other SCt rules are effective unless superseded by rule or decision of SCt (emphasis mine).

> Rules do not preclude objections to the validity of a rule

> Rules apply to civil & criminal, jury & bench trials

> If statute or case law conflicts, MRE takes precedence

> Arbitration does not use MRE unless specified

Fed Rule 101 - Fed Rules govern all cts of US & magistrates & subject to applicability of FRE 1101. 2d sentence of MRE 101 not present.

102 - Purpose

- Rules intended to secure fairness in administration, elimination of unjustifiable expense & delay, & promotion of growth & development of the law of evidence to the end that the truth may be ascertained & proceedings justly determined.

The rest of the rules, annotated, are here: http://www.legalnut.com/Law_School_Outlines/Evidence/Evidence_Rules_%28Michigan%29/. See especially rules 801 through 903, and consider that there are many permissions throughout that should compel judges to admit them.

Edited by GregS

since we're talking about what evidence is allowed in a court, heres a wonderful quote from oakland county asst prosecutor shannon o'brien in people v hartwick transcript from oakland county court (2012):

MS. O'BRIEN: And the People object to that

11 exhibit, Judge. because it's hearsay, a statement from

12 a physician

MR. MILLER: Judge, it is the document

14 provided by the physician. It's the only document he

15 has. He also provides it to the state of Michigan.

16 That's what he's required to have.

see , its bunny muffin like this, where the prosecutor blocks admission of the dr rec into the record, then the COA says 'hey, the defendant didnt provide evidence to show prong 1 of section 8a3'.

since we're talking about what evidence is allowed in a court, heres a wonderful quote from oakland county asst prosecutor shannon o'brien in people v hartwick transcript from oakland county court (2012):

12 a physician

see , its bunny muffin like this, where the prosecutor blocks admission of the dr rec into the record, then the COA says 'hey, the defendant didnt provide evidence to show prong 1 of section 8a3'.

Did the judge sustain or over rule the objection?

but then when the court (judge) denied sec4, they moved into sec8, where the lawyer said he already provided the cards could be used in sec8...

but then the judge said this

18 The Court did not hear any testimony of a

19 bona fide physician-patient relationship or a

20 likelihood of receiving therapeutic or palliative

21 benefit from the medical use of marijuana.

because the dr rec was not administered 30 minutes ago during the sec4 hearing...

i guess a dr rec paper is heresay, and it needs to be notarized in the drs office.

i'll ask my doc about that. good idea gregs for notarization.

12 a physician

Thank you 

Its the way to trick people while in court so to stress you out even more things like this will do it to anyone 

but then when the court (judge) denied sec4, they moved into sec8, where the lawyer said he already provided the cards could be used in sec8...

but then the judge said this

18 The Court did not hear any testimony of a

19 bona fide physician-patient relationship or a

20 likelihood of receiving therapeutic or palliative

21 benefit from the medical use of marijuana.

because the dr rec was not administered 30 minutes ago during the sec4 hearing...

i guess a dr rec paper is heresay, and it needs to be notarized in the drs office.

i'll ask my doc about that. good idea gregs for notarization.

I think the judge was outa line. Was it argued that the card is prima facie evidence that the bona fide relationship with the necessary caveats exists and has met all the necessary requirements of sec. 8?

Edited by GregS