12-12 From Seed?

Kingdiamond

I did 12/12 from seed. This is not an un-normal sunlight pattern at all for the plant. Near the equator, the sunlight hours vary less than 1 hour from 12/12 all year long. MJ came from regions that are more accustomed to 12/12 all the time. Sativa's take best to this, as they stretch longer and are more accustomed to this light.

Good luck! I did an indica 12/12 and it was one of my better grows. I would suggest using a known seed stock so you know what your getting into.

Let me first say that this is getting into the realm of information where my knowledge starts to get sparse. I believe that growing from seed on 12/12 may actually slow you down.

Here is why.

MJ plants are actually aware of their age. Thats what the pre-flowers are for; they are an indicator that the plant is sexually mature. A plant, even if its under 12/12 lights, will not flower until it reaches a certain biological age. Exposing it the plant early on to 12/12 makes it think that is has to hurry or it will never have a chance to pass on its genes because the grow season is ending. Some would argue that rushing a plant ends up hurting the over all potency and quality compared to if the grower had waited until the plant was sexually mature for flowering.

Giving it 18/6 hours of light a day will have it grow faster and bigger by the time it reaches maturity, compared to 12/12, this is why i think it will slow you down.

A little more information: this does not apply to clones. A clone inherits the parents age. Thats why clones can be stuck them right into 12/12. They usually won't yield very much, but they'll try. This is also why there is no point in cloning an auto-flowering variety, because by the time it takes root, half of its life will be over, and it will die at the same time that the mom does.

TFB

the clones i get go right into bloom and they work out great i let my clones go for about two weeks in veg on this grow and they are hitting the ceiling in a 7 foot high area never again i go from clone right into 12-12 from now on

If they are getting too tall you could cut the top off to encourage growth of branches. Even better is Low Stress Training. Simply tie the top down. I realize that ccpulsipher probably knows this, but it could help others that don't know.

I have one plant that I started from seed and moved it into the flower room when it was only about five inches tall. It has been 20 days now and no sign of sex. It is stretching out nicely, but I do think that it is slowing the process down. I think that I would have been better off leaving it in veg longer. I had another plant that was the same age and the seed was from the same bud. It was male and showed after about two weeks. Hopefully the plant first mentioned is female. *fingers crossed*

Fill me in, that sounds interesting...

I just might try that my first grow too! wink.gif

sea of green! short plants big buds pretty good yeild, alot quicker than 18/6 and than going into the 12/12, not as big of a yeild, but still very pleasing, I will let you know!

• 1 month later...

This is my first grow and hoping to run perpetual by cloning 4 tops of the plants that were germinated and poked through the soil (Foxfarms) on 5/11. I have run them 24/7 for the entire time. They are roughly 3 1/2 wks old and are almost a foot tall! 2 weeks under flouros (225 watts) and now 600 w MH for the past week. 2 White Widow, Himalayan Gold, and Super Silver Haze are all doing very well. I mixed a weak mixture of Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow A+B 3 days after transplant to 4 gal pots. I'll be switching to 18/6 soon. Just fed them again today to give them a boost this week! Probably after another week and I have a chance to clone them. I'm unsure about running the clones under the 600w 12/12 right after being visciously cut from the top of the beautiful plants! Maybe I should put them back into the clone / seedling cabinet until they root and can handle the dryer and warmer atmosphere of the flower room. Ive read so much on this siteabout growing, it's like sensory overload! Thanks to all you experienced growers here in Michigan and elsewhere for taking time out of your days, to help the newer growers and patients grow their own meds and be free from the bondage of the pharmaceutical companys. God Bless you all!

I have 2 from seed right now under 12/12, white and blue widow, the white is doing better than the blue, started 4/25 cant get the nak of uploading pics, white is a foot tall,blue is about 9 inches,both have big buds all over,12 buds on both.

Let me first say that this is getting into the realm of information where my knowledge starts to get sparse. I believe that growing from seed on 12/12 may actually slow you down.

Here is why.

MJ plants are actually aware of their age. Thats what the pre-flowers are for; they are an indicator that the plant is sexually mature. A plant, even if its under 12/12 lights, will not flower until it reaches a certain biological age. Exposing it the plant early on to 12/12 makes it think that is has to hurry or it will never have a chance to pass on its genes because the grow season is ending. Some would argue that rushing a plant ends up hurting the over all potency and quality compared to if the grower had waited until the plant was sexually mature for flowering.

Giving it 18/6 hours of light a day will have it grow faster and bigger by the time it reaches maturity, compared to 12/12, this is why i think it will slow you down.

A little more information: this does not apply to clones. A clone inherits the parents age. Thats why clones can be stuck them right into 12/12. They usually won't yield very much, but they'll try. This is also why there is no point in cloning an auto-flowering variety, because by the time it takes root, half of its life will be over, and it will die at the same time that the mom does.

TFB

I agree!

• 1 month later...

I have one plant that I started from seed and moved it into the flower room when it was only about five inches tall. It has been 20 days now and no sign of sex. It is stretching out nicely, but I do think that it is slowing the process down. I think that I would have been better off leaving it in veg longer. I had another plant that was the same age and the seed was from the same bud. It was male and showed after about two weeks. Hopefully the plant first mentioned is female. *fingers crossed*

Here is an update. She is looking great now after her final swell. She hit 100 days of flower and still has around a week left possibly more.

Here is a picture of her when she showed sex for me around day 28 of flower:

DSC00656.jpg

Here she is before her final swell...

SIMidFlowerhps.jpg

that is right she got even more plump as the leaves autumned off. I will post some more pics around harvest time. Hopefully that will be soon. I wonder if flowering her before she was sexually mature made her flower time longer? 100 days does seem long, but she also shows lots of sativa influence in her genetics. If she wasn't a bag seed plant I would be able to compare known flower times to what is happening in my garden, but alas she is a beautiful bag seed lady.

Archived