Tried To Hint To My Doc About Obtaining A Mmj Card, Got Shot Down.

-TJ-

Well that didn't go so great. I went to my doctor because i've had a lingering chest cold and also needed some of my prescriptions refilled. He asked me a series of questions, one of them " have you smoked pot and if so when was the last time ". I said yes. I tried to hint to him that I know this is a medical marijuana state and I was interested in taking a step into seeing if I was qualified for a card. He wanted none of that and quickly changed the subject.

So yeah......no meds for me so far.

Seems many docs are like that. My wife has just started giving me bunny muffin about MM. I am trying to stop using asthma meds and it is working. I may have to fire here if it does not stop but man marijuana works for asthma and I am sure many will tell you other things as well. Since I have smoked 3 times in the last 4 days I feel much better physically and mentally till the wife starts bitching to me about everything. So darn irritating it is driving me nuts. But yeah marijuana works just need to be around the right people. Everyone looks at you like your doing some hardcore drug or something it is totally crazy.

Seems many docs are like that. My wife has just started giving me bunny muffin about MM. I am trying to stop using asthma meds and it is working. I may have to fire here if it does not stop but man marijuana works for asthma and I am sure many will tell you other things as well. Since I have smoked 3 times in the last 4 days I feel much better physically and mentally till the wife starts bitching to me about everything. So darn irritating it is driving me nuts. But yeah marijuana works just need to be around the right people. Everyone looks at you like your doing some hardcore drug or something it is totally crazy.

Time to accidentally push someone out of the plane with no parachute. :skydive:

And that is why I always advise pts NOT to mention this subject to your Dr. I get a darn lecture everytime I see my Gastro Dr............and he is the one that brings it up! The guy can't remember what the hell is wrong with me,but always remembers the ONE conversation we had about MMJ.................Then he won't shut up about it. My $$, my time,dude. All 5 minutes of it.

You are right.

I simply would not bring up the matter to my primary doctor or my pain management physician. It's just not worth it to me to lose them as our doctors.

But, I am taking Captain Kirk's advice and leaving medical marijuana information in the various magazine racks - I've been doing this for quite some time.

Wait, wait, wait just one darned minute here! You folks are advising others not to mention something that definately has an impact on your health to your primary physician?

I am a HEPC patient, have been for nearly 20 years now and not one of my doctors is uninformed about my use of cannabis therapy. I may simply be lucky, but not one of those doctors (and many of them are part of the UofM system) has ever threatened to pull any medication or to treat me.

If we refuse to show these doctors how cannabis therapy is making our lives better, more liveable, then we are doing them a disservice. Not to speak of how we are defeating ourselves in the process.

I say, if your doctor won't even discuss this important issue with you, then you have the wrong doctor. Let him treat the 33% who didn't vote for our law, see one of the enlightened doctors who do understand. They really aren't that hard to find.

This really is an education issue and a human rights issue...Peace...j.b.

Wait, wait, wait just one darned minute here! You folks are advising others not to mention something that definately has an impact on your health to your primary physician?

I am a HEPC patient, have been for nearly 20 years now and not one of my doctors is uninformed about my use of cannabis therapy. I may simply be lucky, but not one of those doctors (and many of them are part of the UofM system) has ever threatened to pull any medication or to treat me.

If we refuse to show these doctors how cannabis therapy is making our lives better, more liveable, then we are doing them a disservice. Not to speak of how we are defeating ourselves in the process.

I say, if your doctor won't even discuss this important issue with you, then you have the wrong doctor. Let him treat the 33% who didn't vote for our law, see one of the enlightened doctors who do understand. They really aren't that hard to find.

Totally agree +rep

Well that didn't go so great. I went to my doctor because i've had a lingering chest cold and also needed some of my prescriptions refilled. He asked me a series of questions, one of them " have you smoked pot and if so when was the last time ". I said yes. I tried to hint to him that I know this is a medical marijuana state and I was interested in taking a step into seeing if I was qualified for a card. He wanted none of that and quickly changed the subject.

So yeah......no meds for me so far.

You do not need to approach your primary care doctor about MMJ. If you have a qualifying condition on your record, then all you need to do is go to a MMJ clinic with those records. Unless you are in a pain management program in which some cases you are contractually bound to not using anything except what they give you.

How's that for a scam?

Guest Marywanna

He has been my Gastro Dr for 22 years and I really could care less if he agrees with me or not. Every one of those years I was smoking MJ for nausea and vomiting. I told him many times. I guess then everybody that is going to a Pain Mgt Dr should tell them,huh? See if they will refill your pain meds after that. Drs control your medications. Great if you can find some almighty strain that fixes everything thats wrong with you. So far I haven't found it. So yes,I have to kiss his butt. And I don't like it. But thats the reality for me. I have to play the system by their rules. You don't know me,or my condition. So I don't need a lecture,I have been dealing with illness my whole life,and helping others deal with theirs. I didn't ask to be ill,I didn't do anything to cause it. I was born this way.

He has been my Gastro Dr for 22 years and I really could care less if he agrees with me or not. Every one of those years I was smoking MJ for nausea and vomiting. I told him many times. I guess then everybody that is going to a Pain Mgt Dr should tell them,huh? See if they will refill your pain meds after that. Drs control your medications. Great if you can find some almighty strain that fixes everything thats wrong with you. So far I haven't found it. So yes,I have to kiss his butt. And I don't like it. But thats the reality for me. I have to play the system by their rules. You don't know me,or my condition. So I don't need a lecture,I have been dealing with illness my whole life,and helping others deal with theirs. I didn't ask to be ill,I didn't do anything to cause it. I was born this way.

Bingo.

I will NOT jeopardize a 10-plus year relationship with my doctor either!

Mizerman

p.s. Marywanna, sorry we disagree politically -

I have no successfully stopped taking two medications. And decreased the dosage of another one by 50%.

When I am able to completely stop having to take opiate medications, I will then present the facts to my doctor.

I "ALMOST" managed to do just this, but our latest caregiver and his wife chose to not honor our agreement :growl: and it caused both of us to start all over with opiate therapy :devil: for our spinal cord pain issues.

Mizerman

p.s. Karma is a "b-i-o-t-c-h"

i always liked my doc until i tried to talk to him about marijuana. i was so insulted! he'll be happy to be a shill for big pharma and fill me full of opiates, but won't even read the little amount of very good research on marijuana as a therapeutic substance? i would make my MM doc my primary doc if my insurance company would pay him what he is worth!

Guest Marywanna

Yeah and he didn't even buy me dinner,lol. To tell you the truth,I am so tired of Drs and Dr visits,I don't have the energy to start all over again. I really am so sick of all of them. To go thru 20 years of treatments and eventually the surgeries,I just don't bounce back like I used to. Just being able to get around and not be trapped in the house is okay with me. And you are right,atheist,the guy looks at buttholes all day long :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

my wifes neurologist flat out told her no even though she has been dealing with MS since she was 16 diagnosed at 17 now it is 20 years later and her doctor tells her there are no studies that prove it helps. When it comes to doctors she is a wuss and didn't tell him off. I tried to talk to him but she would not let me. For god sakes she has a lesion on her brain the size of a 50 cent piece!

No MM he would rather pump her full of steroids and call it good. Well doc ever had to carry the woman you love from your upstairs and out to the car in the middle of the night because she is having an attack. Then spend 6 hours waiting for them to start pumping 5000ml of steroids in her just so she can feel her body again. Ever had to deal with her being so nausious she can't stop throwing up?

I HAVE AND I WILL FIGHT FOR HER RIGHT WHATEVER MEDICINE WILL HELP HER. I WILL NOT STOP THE ONLY WAY TO STOP ME IS TO BURY ME! I LOVE MY WIFE AND I WILL BE BY HER SIDE ALWAYS!

It is a well established fact that American doctors are for the most part insurance company tools and increasingly tools of DEA and FBI investigations. Our medical records are now more easily accessed by the government than by you thanks in no small part to HIPPA. It is critical that you find a doctor you can trust and who takes cash.

It is a well established fact that American doctors are for the most part insurance company tools and increasingly tools of DEA and FBI investigations. Our medical records are now more easily accessed by the government than by you thanks in no small part to HIPPA. It is critical that you find a doctor you can trust and who takes cash.

This is so true. You should see what doctors used to get in terms of free meals, tickets to games/concerts, all sorts of things from the pharmacutical companies. Some of that changed with some recent legislative actions but it still goes on all the time. No way would a doctor bite the hand that feeds them. It's the same way with the insurance companies. The insurance companies are what dictates your care, not your doctor.

I won't even begin to rant on about HIPPA and the government. That would take me all evening to put down all my issues with that mess.

As far as the OP I would say do what I did and go to a doctor that is cannabis friendly, such as a clinic. My neurologist was ademently against cannabis for treatment of my migraines even though we have done just about everything we can to treat them. He will consider all sorts of "off label" medications for treatment but won't even begin to consider cannabis. If your wife can find some relief with cannabis then I say give it try! Whatever it takes to find some relief.

Peace

That's my thinking, as well, but then "liberty don't always work so well in practice as it does in speeches."

In Seinfeldian Buddhist teachings, when Lainey attempts to question her doctors authority, she soon discovers the extent of power that all doctors wield. She gets strange, harassing phone calls late at night, and attempts at doctor shopping using an alias all fail as she can't escape the stranglehold of medical record-keeping and the medical profession conspiratorial "network," as it were. Bizarro World, yes, but the story wouldn't be funny if not for the truths revealed in it's telling.

Perhaps someday there will be television commercials that promote having that special talk with your doctor about the possible benefits of medical marijuana. Until then, however, patient options necessarily remain guarded and dependent on individual circumstance. Telling your doctor you are additionally treating with cannabis while under their care may result in your not getting a liver transplant, for example.

You want to talk about "death panels," baby we got 'em. If you use cannabis, then - NO TRANSPLANT FOR YOU! Marijuana users are sinners and don't deserve to live. That's some whack job conservative government we got representing us, don't ya think?

Archived