War Will Be Declared On The Sick

Better reinforce those doors

http://blog.norml.org/2010/11/18/obamas-dea-nominee-pledges-to-ignore-administrations-medical-marijuana-policy/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Obama%27s+DEA+Nominee+Pledges+To+Ignore+Administration%27s+Medical+Marijuana+Policy

Obama’s DEA Nominee Pledges To Ignore Administration’s Medical Marijuana Policy

November 18th, 2010 By: Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director

Share this Article

It was a little over a year ago when the United States Department of Justice announced that it would back away from pursuing cases against medical marijuana patients and providers who are acting in accordance with state and local laws.

“As a general matter, pursuit of [federal law enforcement] priorities should not focus federal resources … on individuals whose actions are in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana,” The DOJ announced on October 19, 2009. “For example, prosecution of individuals with cancer or other serious illnesses who use marijuana as part of a recommended treatment regimen consistent with applicable state law, or those caregivers in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state law who provide such individuals with marijuana, is unlikely to be an efficient use of limited federal resources.”

Apparently Michelle Leonhart, President Obama’s nominee to direct the United States Drug Enforcement Administration, didn’t get the memo.

Speaking yesterday before the Senate Judiciary Committee, on day one of her Senate confirmation process, Leonhart pledged to ignore the administration’s formal medical marijuana guidelines.

Michele Leonhart one step closer to officially heading up the DEA

via The Daily Caller

[excerpt] Acting director Michele Leonhart is that much closer to officially heading up the Drug Enforcement Agency after successfully navigating a hearing with the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday.

If confirmed to the position she’s already held for three years, Leonhart said she would expand the DEA’s anti-cartel operations in Mexico and continue to enforce federal drug laws in states where medical marijuana is legal.

… Perhaps due to the failure of Prop 19 in California (and despite the passage of medical marijuana in Arizona), Kohl, along with Democratic Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island and Al Franken of Minnesota, made no mention of medical marijuana. Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama, however, made it his prime focus.

“I’m a big fan of the DEA,” said Sessions, before asking Leonhart point blank if she would fight medical marijuana legalization.

“I have seen what marijuana use has done to young people, I have seen the abuse, I have seen what it’s done to families. It’s bad,” Leonhart said. “If confirmed as administrator, we would continue to enforce the federal drug laws.”

“These legalization efforts sound good to people,” Sessions quipped. “They say, ‘We could just end the problem of drugs if we could just make it legal.’ But any country that’s tried that, Alaska and other places have tried it, have failed. It does not work,” Sessions said.

“We need people who are willing to say that. Are you willing to say that?” Sessions asked Leonhart.

“Yes, I’ve said that, senator. You’re absolutely correct [about] the social costs from drug abuse, especially from marijuana,” Leonhart said. “Legalizers say it will help the Mexican cartel situation; it won’t. It will allow states to balance budgets; it won’t. No one is looking [at] the social costs of legalizing drugs.”

It is shocking to learn that not a single Senator who attended the hearing, in particular Democrat Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse from Rhode Island, had the courage to demand that Ms. Leonhart respect the laws of the 15 states that have legalized the use of marijuana as a medicine. In the case of Sen. Whitehouse, his own state is now in the process of licensing state-certified marijuana providers and distributors; yet he appears to have no problem with the idea of appointing a federal official who declares her intention to put his own constituents in federal prison.

It gets even more disturbing. In the days leading up to Wednesday’s initial confirmation hearing, a coalition of advocacy groups — including NORML, Americans for Safe Access, and others called on members of the Senate Judiciary to ask Ms. Leonhart tough questions regarding her public record, one that is incompatible with state laws, public opinion, and with the policies of this administration. Yet not a single Senator did so.

There is a growing divide between state and federal law concerning the use of marijuana for medical purposes, and it would only take members of the Senate — or Ms. Leonhart for that matter — a cursory scan of today’s google headlines to see it:

As we’ve written before, as Interim DEA director, Ms. Leonhart has overseen dozens of federal raids on medical marijuana providers, producers, and laboratory facilities that engage in the testing of cannabis potency and quality. Yesterday Ms. Leonhart pledged to continue these actions — actions that violate this administration’s own written policies, and more importantly, actions that target the civilians of fifteen states and the District of Columbia. These people are the constituents of 30 percent of the U.S. Senate; yet not even one of these elected officials appears willing to speak up for them. That is disgraceful.

Not one bit. go to NORML

http://bl144w.blu144...x?wa=wsignin1.0

and scroll to the action link. This will allow you to enter a bit of info and send a letter to the State Senators asking them to vote NO on the confirmation

Your link took me off to ??? ended up back at hotmail

http://www.norml.org/

The Norml Site , just like you said lower left corner, no problems ...Thanks Anyways ....

_______________ This is Un f. believable. Wish we could get more access to these Misrepresentatives. Right a lot of good it does to f vote in this country. They gonna do as they dam well please. Dont care about anything but their greedy little pittance they take for doing the will of the CORPORATION of America . We aren't even shareholders, even if you payoff your real-estate, pay your taxes, vote, you dont get nothing but a hard time, wtf. Another day older and deeeprer in debt. Something must be done if this continues.

How can they set there and lie like that? It just shows how unethical the leaders are. I sent my email using the NORML form. What kills me is ultra liberal Al Franken could not say anything? Normally he is pretty vocal about issues like this and has good questions. What is wrong with this country? I guess 50% of the people have below average intelligence.

- What kills me is ultra liberal Al Franken could not say anything? Normally he is pretty vocal about issues like this and has good questions. What is wrong with this country?

Franken introduced her and supports her nomination. Obviously a political trade-off as he barely unseated the conservative Frank Burns character in a close runoff. Cannabis needs a hero, now, more than ever.

I guess 50% of the people have below average intelligence.

Would that be the less than 50% that actually get out and vote, or the whole enchilada? The hope, the false hope and the hopeless. And hoping for a another hero to come along is starting to look a lot less hopeful thanks to Hopemaster B. Won't get fooled again, says the green Buddha.

It's commonly assumed that if all the wishes of eligible voters were counted, that government would be overwhelmingly Liberal - and I used to believe that - but not anymore, particularly. If you can sample a thousand likely voters and come up with a projected winner within a given point spread, then a national election should be a fair estimate of the "rest of us" vote, probably. And of course half of the "rest of us" vote can also be labeled insane, probably, as well.

I don't know that it's a lack of intelligence so much as the populous being led about by the nose, by the media, by the new world order behind the scenes pulling the strings.

The populous is under a spell and there's a bad moon on the rise.

Floridity Now

Floridity Now

A Government Is A Tyranny When:

It sets itself above the will and judgement of the people and refuses to comply with the wishes of the people.

It lies to the people to get what it wants.

The traditional rights of the people are treated as obstacles to the objectives of government.

It creates animosities among the people. It blames the people for not stopping it from acting against the wishes of the people.

obama - he's kinda like the black bush. i can't believe i voted for this swindling two-faced prick. no way in hell is this guy getting a second term.

I feel exactly as you do.

I voted for him - but, will NOT do so again.

Mizerman

p.s. I voted for Dennis Kucinich in the democratic primary in 2008

I feel exactly as you do.

I voted for him - but, will NOT do so again.

Mizerman

p.s. I voted for Dennis Kucinich in the democratic primary in 2008

Agreed, but I can't see voting for Palin, or whichever know-nothing the Repubs in 2012.

Dems wont run Obama anyway, guess I'll be voting for Clinton, Mrs. Clinton that is.

Agreed, but I can't see voting for Palin, or whichever know-nothing the Repubs in 2012.

Dems wont run Obama anyway, guess I'll be voting for Clinton, Mrs. Clinton that is.

I would have voted for her in the primary...in a heartbeat. But, remember the primary here? The whole issue with her name being on the ballot but not being on the ballot?

She should be president!

This guy is a clown and a corporate lackey and a huge LIAR!

And, he has no balls!

Mizerman

I don't know that it's a lack of intelligence so much as the populous being led about by the nose, by the media, by the new world order behind the scenes pulling the strings.

I think it is the inability to apply critical thinking and detect fallacies from fact. Maybe I incorrectly relate that to intelligence. You can be intelligent and not utilize critical thinking out of laziness However I don't believe that people who are lower on the intelligence scale can muster those cognitive skills.

My vote is for a Clinton/Clinton ticket. Yes Bill could be Vice President and that would be what is best for the Dems and the country. I think we will be getting Obama vs. someone who will be even worse. Palin? Doubtful. She quit her job as Governor to chase the all mighty dollar. I can't believe someone would vote for a person who put money over her obligations to the people who voted for her.

I think it is the inability to apply critical thinking and detect fallacies from fact. Maybe I incorrectly relate that to intelligence. You can be intelligent and not utilize critical thinking out of laziness However I don't believe that people who are lower on the intelligence scale can muster those cognitive skills.

My vote is for a Clinton/Clinton ticket. Yes Bill could be Vice President and that would be what is best for the Dems and the country. I think we will be getting Obama vs. someone who will be even worse. Palin? Doubtful. She quit her job as Governor to chase the all mighty dollar. I can't believe someone would vote for a person who put money over her obligations to the people who voted for her.

I really don't get why people think the Clintons are such great Democrats or liberals. They're both corporatists to the same degree, if not more so, than Obama. I mean, Clinton SIGNED NAAFTA for pete's sake. Sure it was a GOP brainchild to bust unions and drive down wages on behalf of their rich friends, but Clinton happily went along, telling us all that it would curb illegal immigration, and create jobs here as well. And the Clintons are STILL selling the lie of global "free" trade, without which the destruction of the American middle class would not be possible.

We need to come to the realization that we liberals have very few friends in the Democratic party. Hell, 50 years ago, half of them would be Republicans, that's how far to the right this country has been dragged by these global corporatists and their bought and paid for Congressmen, Senators, Governors, Presidents, Regualtory Agencies, etc.

clinton would be a swell choice <_< maybe people dont remember he holds the record for marijuana arrest while in office. We will never make a change thinking the dems or the cons will help us. they never have and they never will.

Both parties have helped us, but it's been generations since that happened. I agree they're both completely corrupt and utterly worthless.

I firmly believe that Dwight Eisenhower would be called a liberal today. Just go back and read his speeches. I think the Birchers called him a commie at the time. :lol:

Obama’s DEA Nominee Pledges To Ignore Administration’s Medical Marijuana Policy
November 18th, 2010 By: Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director

Share this Article

It was a little over a year ago when the United States Department of Justice announced that it would back away from pursuing cases against medical marijuana patients and providers who are acting in accordance with state and local laws.

“As a general matter, pursuit of [federal law enforcement] priorities should not focus federal resources … on individuals whose actions are in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana,” The DOJ announced on October 19, 2009. “For example, prosecution of individuals with cancer or other serious illnesses who use marijuana as part of a recommended treatment regimen consistent with applicable state law, or those caregivers in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state law who provide such individuals with marijuana, is unlikely to be an efficient use of limited federal resources.”

Apparently Michelle Leonhart, President Obama’s nominee to direct the United States Drug Enforcement Administration, didn’t get the memo.

Speaking yesterday before the Senate Judiciary Committee, on day one of her Senate confirmation process, Leonhart pledged to ignore the administration’s formal medical marijuana guidelines.

Michele Leonhart one step closer to officially heading up the DEA
via The Daily Caller

[excerpt] Acting director Michele Leonhart is that much closer to officially heading up the Drug Enforcement Agency after successfully navigating a hearing with the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday.

If confirmed to the position she’s already held for three years, Leonhart said she would expand the DEA’s anti-cartel operations in Mexico and continue to enforce federal drug laws in states where medical marijuana is legal.

… Perhaps due to the failure of Prop 19 in California (and despite the passage of medical marijuana in Arizona), Kohl, along with Democratic Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island and Al Franken of Minnesota, made no mention of medical marijuana. Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama, however, made it his prime focus.

“I’m a big fan of the DEA,” said Sessions, before asking Leonhart point blank if she would fight medical marijuana legalization.

“I have seen what marijuana use has done to young people, I have seen the abuse, I have seen what it’s done to families. It’s bad,” Leonhart said. “If confirmed as administrator, we would continue to enforce the federal drug laws.”

“These legalization efforts sound good to people,” Sessions quipped. “They say, ‘We could just end the problem of drugs if we could just make it legal.’ But any country that’s tried that, Alaska and other places have tried it, have failed. It does not work,” Sessions said.

“We need people who are willing to say that. Are you willing to say that?” Sessions asked Leonhart.

“Yes, I’ve said that, senator. You’re absolutely correct [about] the social costs from drug abuse, especially from marijuana,” Leonhart said. “Legalizers say it will help the Mexican cartel situation; it won’t. It will allow states to balance budgets; it won’t. No one is looking [at] the social costs of legalizing drugs.”

It is shocking to learn that not a single Senator who attended the hearing, in particular Democrat Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse from Rhode Island, had the courage to demand that Ms. Leonhart respect the laws of the 15 states that have legalized the use of marijuana as a medicine. In the case of Sen. Whitehouse, his own state is now in the process of licensing state-certified marijuana providers and distributors; yet he appears to have no problem with the idea of appointing a federal official who declares her intention to put his own constituents in federal prison.

It gets even more disturbing. In the days leading up to Wednesday’s initial confirmation hearing, a coalition of advocacy groups — including NORML, Americans for Safe Access, and others called on members of the Senate Judiciary to ask Ms. Leonhart tough questions regarding her public record, one that is incompatible with state laws, public opinion, and with the policies of this administration. Yet not a single Senator did so.

There is a growing divide between state and federal law concerning the use of marijuana for medical purposes, and it would only take members of the Senate — or Ms. Leonhart for that matter — a cursory scan of today’s google headlines to see it:

As we’ve written before, as Interim DEA director, Ms. Leonhart has overseen dozens of federal raids on medical marijuana providers, producers, and laboratory facilities that engage in the testing of cannabis potency and quality. Yesterday Ms. Leonhart pledged to continue these actions — actions that violate this administration’s own written policies, and more importantly, actions that target the civilians of fifteen states and the District of Columbia. These people are the constituents of 30 percent of the U.S. Senate; yet not even one of these elected officials appears willing to speak up for them. That is disgraceful.

Want to write or call your Senator about Ms. Leonhart’s nomination process? You can still do so here and here. Go to the source below .

http://blog.norml.org/2010/11/18/obamas-dea-nominee-pledges-to-ignore-administrations-medical-marijuana-policy/

The workingman in this country is far too busy working, as it were, to spend much time at the library. Reality is defined for the average American by television and info-tainment specifically created to push partisan buttons. Who was it that said "America is always creating new myths about itself." - Marshal McLuhan?

Edgar Allan Poe wrote: "The nose of a mob is it's imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led."

Then there's the P.T. Barnum effect. The Fox News and propaganda network is swelling as are listeners of a swollen Limbaugh.

Liberals don't ditto like that. We're political, but we don't particularly care to make a religion out of it. Air America was great, but it was a bust. There's not that need for external validation among liberals, comparatively.

And most people ARE incompetent, you're right about that. Analysis reveals this. TV's 'American Idol' continually illustrates the painful disparities between an inflated self image and reality. And millions of viewers fail to recognize the embarrassingly out of tune contestant hopefuls as mirror images of themselves.

I really don't get why people think the Clintons are such great Democrats or liberals. They're both corporatists to the same degree, if not more so, than Obama. I mean, Clinton SIGNED NAAFTA for pete's sake. Sure it was a GOP brainchild to bust unions and drive down wages on behalf of their rich friends, but Clinton happily went along, telling us all that it would curb illegal immigration, and create jobs here as well. And the Clintons are STILL selling the lie of global "free" trade, without which the destruction of the American middle class would not be possible.

We need to come to the realization that we liberals have very few friends in the Democratic party. Hell, 50 years ago, half of them would be Republicans, that's how far to the right this country has been dragged by these global corporatists and their bought and paid for Congressmen, Senators, Governors, Presidents, Regualtory Agencies, etc.

I didn't say who I would rather have for president. I suggested a Clinton/Clinton ticket would be best for the Democratic Party. What I meant by best for the country was best for the economic state of the country. Bill made a lot of compromises while he was president to get things done. One thing Bill did understand was fiscal responsibility. He knew if you are going to spend money you have to raise taxes to do it. And he did raise taxes on the rich. When he left he had the highest surplus ever.

I do agree with your comments. If I had a choice I would rather see a Ralph Nader or someone who understands that it is BS that money trickles down from the top. A rich person has never created a job and those who say so are either disingenuous or ignorant. What creates jobs is people buying goods an services. That is not the 1% of the population buying goods and services but the other 99% that make a difference in the economy. Give them the money and tax breaks and that 1% will make money. Money always trickles up from the bottom.

clinton would be a swell choice <_< maybe people dont remember he holds the record for marijuana arrest while in office. We will never make a change thinking the dems or the cons will help us. they never have and they never will.

Yes and no. Up until he was president that was true. Bush did even more. Clinton was no friend to cannabis reform to be sure. So far Obama has not been either. However I am sure anyone from the Republican side would be even less supportive (with the exception of Gary Johnson whom is getting a ton of positive press lately.)

I didn't say who I would rather have for president. I suggested a Clinton/Clinton ticket would be best for the Democratic Party. What I meant by best for the country was best for the economic state of the country. Bill made a lot of compromises while he was president to get things done. One thing Bill did understand was fiscal responsibility. He knew if you are going to spend money you have to raise taxes to do it. And he did raise taxes on the rich. When he left he had the highest surplus ever. Projected surplus, as none was ever realized.

I do agree with your comments. If I had a choice I would rather see a Ralph Nader or someone who understands that it is BS that money trickles down from the top. A rich person has never created a job and those who say so are either disingenuous or ignorant. What creates jobs is people buying goods an services. That is not the 1% of the population buying goods and services but the other 99% that make a difference in the economy. Give them the money and tax breaks and that 1% will make money. Money always trickles up from the bottom.

What do you define a rich person as? Some might argue that Sam Walton and Harry Cunningham created quite a few jobs... Or that small business owners (who are considered rich by the federal government according to their tax bracket) create quite a few jobs...

The only jobs created by higher taxes and more regulation are in the government agencies. Just my thoughts on the matter, and I am not a huge fan of the Laffer curve.

Archived