Jobs In The Michigan Medical Marijuana Industry

I have had a number of patients and caregivers ask me where to find jobs in the industry in the past, and I didn't have an answer for them.

Now with the economy continuing to struggle and my non-MMJ business that I have owned and ran for the last 15 years failing I am in need of additional income to support my kids, wife, and dogs and pay the mortgage... Being a website designer, server administrator, and network engineer the jobs I am experienced and qualified for are flooded with people with 8 year college degrees every time a single opening is available, making it very hard to find employment.

Me and my wife are both caregivers, however we are providing free meds to most of our patients, and don't even cover our utility and nutrient costs some months, it's hardly something we could turn into an additional income without dropping patients that desperately need our services.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them! Thanks. :)

Overages, transfer to other qualifying patients for compensation for your time,effort and electric.. isn't that how most caregivers supply free meds to patients..?

I could use meds for my patients and myself.. my opp has had some serious issues and well, 5mo of failure.. :thumbsd:

There are plenty of patients in need..

Did ya give your other bussiness away too ?? There is no such thing as free meds to anyone. Even if grown themselfs they'll still have to pay grow costs, so why are ya giving you stuff away for free ???????? Do they get pills for free from say Walmart ?? Duh,,, no they dont. At 200 per oz it's still giving it to them for free as your time spent making sure they have there meds and dont run out is worth more then a thanks pal.... Did ya go to work at a company for free???? Well then way would you work for yourself and give your labor away for free.

All I can say is if ya cant run a caregiver bussiness and make money at it then ya need to go back to biz school,lol.....If your patients say the cant afford to pay then find some that can and they can grow there own. They'll soon see it's not free that way either and stop trying to scam caregivers for free MJ.Theres plenty and I MEAN PLENTY of paying patients out there and sounds like to me your being scammed...... Next time ya pump gas,,,, ask if ya can have that for free and see where that gets ya....lmao...................................................................

Did ya give your other bussiness away too ?? There is no such thing as free meds to anyone. Even if grown themselfs they'll still have to pay grow costs, so why are ya giving you stuff away for free ???????? Do they get pills for free from say Walmart ?? Duh,,, no they dont. At 200 per oz it's still giving it to them for free as your time spent making sure they have there meds and dont run out is worth more then a thanks pal.... Did ya go to work at a company for free???? Well then way would you work for yourself and give your labor away for free.

All I can say is if ya cant run a caregiver bussiness and make money at it then ya need to go back to biz school,lol.....If your patients say the cant afford to pay then find some that can and they can grow there own. They'll soon see it's not free that way either and stop trying to scam caregivers for free MJ.Theres plenty and I MEAN PLENTY of paying patients out there and sounds like to me your being scammed...... Next time ya pump gas,,,, ask if ya can have that for free and see where that gets ya....lmao...................................................................

First of all I did not become a caregiver to make money when we started it was simply to help others, my business was doing well at the time and we didn't need any additional income. Several of my patients are good friends or family members suffering from debilitating diseases which we are treating and/or trying to cure with Simpson oil which requires large quantities of cannabis. Some of our other patients are unemployed without access to medical insurance and suffering from serious diseases or medical conditions. Do you recommend I tell these people that I care about they are now out of luck because I want to make a living from being a caregiver?

To come in here and without knowing me or my patients start criticize me for not overcharging my patients is pretty telling of you as a person. I never said I couldn't make a profit being a caregiver, but it's my choice to want to help people I care about. The law was passed to help people, not for caregivers to make a living from sick and dying patients.

We cover our costs most months, and that's good enough for me.

And I do see how if I started charging all my patients what the meds I produce are worth on the market I would have lots of overages to sell, but then I wouldn't be helping people that I set out to help when I decided to become a caregiver.

I figured there would be plenty of positions in the medical marijuana industry for people who are skilled and knowledgeable growers with a considerable amount of knowledge of the law and a background in website design / implementation and network design / administration that would allow me to make a living without having to stiff my patients that depend on me, and I hope if I continue looking I will find something.

MI Compassion,

It would have helped people to know not to suggest to you the obvious course if you had said you will never turn your marijuana growing into a business i.e, 'don't even dare to suggest it as I am determined to always carry it into the future the way it's been in the past, as a charitable enterprise and contribution.'

Being that in your original post you asked for suggestions, and doing caregiving strictly for charity is a personal orientation very few growers are able to afford, to most of us hearing you were in a financial pinch, 'make it into a business' was the most evident course.

Two caregivers in one family as in your situation with a succcessful grow or grows totaling 120 plants, plus posssibly an additional 24 for your also being patients makes for a very good living--unless your orientation is against it, and from your OP we didn't realize yours was.

It was not so apparent to readers as it was to you that all you were seeking was a job, just a job. There is a classified category on this site as well as on other similar boards. Have you posted your Job Wanted ad on them?

Well ya made me re-read your post incase I missed something, but no when I read it again it still seems to me that your complaining that you cant turn your caregiving into a income and my reply was stop giving your skills away. You sounded as though you where not happy with your current set-up and wanted sugestion. Mine was stop giving it away. If ya want to give it away then more power to ya. Sounds like a great idea to me as it's your time and grow. I'm not the one looking for ideas as You stated you could hardly turn this into a income.

Reason for that

As YOU said'' " My patients get it for free" .

My response: Stop giving it away.

When I re-read the post it still dont seem to me your looking for another type job besides caregiving as ya stated your field is flooded with folks looking for work.

Guess I reading it wrong

Well ya made me re-read your post incase I missed something, but no when I read it again it still seems to me that your complaining that you cant turn your caregiving into a income and my reply was stop giving your skills away. You sounded as though you where not happy with your current set-up and wanted sugestion. Mine was stop giving it away. If ya want to give it away then more power to ya. Sounds like a great idea to me as it's your time and grow. I'm not the one looking for ideas as You stated you could hardly turn this into a income.

Reason for that

When I re-read the post it still dont seem to me your looking for another type job besides caregiving as ya stated your field is flooded with folks looking for work.

Guess I reading it wrong

I think there are opportunities to do more than just be a caregiver. But most of them are in the gray areas. I am in the exact same boat as him, i'm an unemployed software developer and I see more ads for clones/meds on craigslist than I see IT jobs in my area on craigslist and monster combined.

PM me if you would like to pool our efforts. I have a few unique ideas that would provide modest income and empower patients to stop getting ripped off.

1. Hospice Services with Medical Marijuana

2. Grow Room Consultant

3. P2P with overages

4. Find a patient that pays

5. Own a Clubhouse for cardholders

6. Work in grow shop

7. Own Grow shop

8. Medical Marijuana Business Consult

9. "head shop" glassware, vapes, other gear for MM

10. create glassware, vapes, other gear for MM

I feel that you wanted other choices than moving meds, so there are services you could do. If you were a tax accountant, you would pick up MM clients by studing the laws for filing CGs as "farmers', etc. If you were an electrican - there is plenty of work checking and building growrooms. If you built houses, build grow rooms.

If you are into sales - sell grow gear or MM supplies.

This is an emerging economy for michigan - so many ways this can help employ people.

-DN

Overages, transfer to other qualifying patients for compensation for your time,effort and electric.. isn't that how most caregivers supply free meds to patients..?

I could use meds for my patients and myself.. my opp has had some serious issues and well, 5mo of failure.. :thumbsd:

There are plenty of patients in need..

I'll re-quote this, as it seems to have been overlooked...

YOUR patients don't NEED to pay anything, if patients OTHER than yours are providing compensation... dig...

Maybe that is the point kruztydj is trying to make... who knows...

A LOT of people are faced with low income patients and there are plenty of decent income patient in need as well..

It's like a celibate Hooker, She can sell-a-bit and give the rest away... :lol:

2. Grow Room Consultant

3. P2P with overages

6. Work in grow shop

7. Own Grow shop

I feel that you wanted other choices than moving meds, so there are services you could do. If you were a tax accountant, you would pick up MM clients by studing the laws for filing CGs as "farmers', etc. If you were an electrican - there is plenty of work checking and building growrooms. If you built houses, build grow rooms.

This is an emerging economy for michigan - so many ways this can help employ people.

-DN

DITO

I agree, its nice to give some free, but all of it? if your not growing your full potential bump up the plant counts, get rid of overages to dispenses and do patient to patient transfrers! and get compensated!

Peace

Good Luck To You!

FTW

Jim

p.s i want you as a c.g, just give me 4 of my plants every crop time and do what you want with the other 8!

2. Grow Room Consultant

3. P2P with overages

6. Work in grow shop

7. Own Grow shop

This is an emerging economy for Michigan - so many ways this can help employ people.

-DN

Nice job!

thinking out of the box...

a bit of brainstorming and theres many ideas for the motivated person.

everything has multiple layers of risk. do an assessment of your core values and skills and then just listen to the universe. rolleyes.gif

i am sure a solution will present itself.

G

I agree, its nice to give some free, but all of it? if your not growing your full potential bump up the plant counts, get rid of overages to dispenses and do patient to patient transfrers! and get compensated!

Peace

Good Luck To You!

FTW

Jim

p.s i want you as a c.g, just give me 4 of my plants every crop time and do what you want with the other 8!

Jim, Do not understand your request. you want 4 of your plants every crop, do what you want with the rest of the 8!? well here's how it really is!

4 plants will always be in the seed/clone stage, 4 will always be in veggie stage, and 4 will be in flowering stage. That is the best and only way for patients to have an uninterrupted supply. how would this work for the caregiver? you would get all the medicine every crop time of 4 plants?

If you receive 4 plants worth of medicine at a time then you would be over the legal limit? correct?

Also: On suggesting caregivers to get rid of overages to dispensaries and do patient to patient transfers.... many do not want to be test cases in your suggested scenarios.

Also consider, if a patient only needs an ounce per month then a good caregiver doesn't need to grow all 12 plants, creating overages. the cycle could be 1-2 plants in seed/clone stage, 2 in veggie stage and 2 in flowering stage. with the patient compensating the caregiver for an ounce from the 2 flowering plants.(the rest in storage by caregiver for the next month supply of an ounce.

I am also of the opinion that no $$$ should ever be in the hands of someone that did not grow the medicine.

thank you for your time.

LOL, maybe I should have been a bit more clear with my initial post to avoid confusion, I am looking for opportunities that do not involve overcharging patients for meds or dropping the current patients I have now. Be that a new business opportunity with someone who could make use of my skills and knowledge or working with a business that's already established but need someone like myself to setup a website, instruct people on how to grow simply and affordably, help setup and maintain gardens, etc. I have plenty of ideas already on profitable business ideas, my issue is no capital to get started with as I've been living off of savings for over a year now as my other business have been failing right along with economy.

The local dispensary only does so much business and is only able to buy up so many overages, and we are already supplying them with overages in order to cover our costs of growing however being in a relatively low population area means the dispensary here only is able to buy so much. Not wanting to be a test case and hearing the horror stories of cops in Ferndale using fake MDCH cards I have been very apprehensive of doing Patient to Patient transfers with people whom I do not personally know. I was not asking how to make money being a caregiver... that's pretty obvious... but I do not care to take risks involved with doing P2P transfers to people whom I don't know.

Thank you to those that gave constructive ideas!

Reason for that

Guess I reading it wrong

Do you know what they say about making assumptions?

My issue wasn't with the content of your reply as much as it was the condescension and assuming that I could not choose to make caregiving profitable if I choose to, because I certainly could but that would mean leaving my friends and family members without the medicine they need. With my patients, their needs, and my resources I am not in a position to drop patients to make room for paying patients, and I don't have the money to expand my grow to take on additional patients, so I am really not in a position to turn my caregiving into a profitable venture unless I drop patients who desperately need our services.

My only intention with posting this thread is to get some ideas, and possibly peak the interest of someone who already has a business established or has the capital to get one started but needs someone knowledgeable to help get that business off the ground.

Phaquetoo,

Compassion that is real runs both ways, from caregiver to patient and from patient to caregiver. Both have something to give and to receive. Given your grow massive expertise and experience, you have a lot to give a nubie grower/wud be caregiver, and at the same time help yourself and your wife with your needs for affordable meds. I think if you 'put yourself into the grow' you'll get ease, satisfaction, TRUST and rewards out of the relationship that has obviously been missing in your previous attempts to get the right caregiver. In the absence of cash you may need to become willing to give what you have, yourself, to get the c.g. relationship you're searching for. When you have cash you can get away with giving only that. The rub is when you don't have it, how do you make up for it? You give something else of value, which is of no value to someone like, say Bubblegrower or 1TokeOverTheLine or Krudzydj, but it is valuable to a nubie. Peace.

Guest Happy Guy

Jobs In The Michigan Medical Marijuana Industry......

The major limiting factor is that all the money for these jobs originates in the pockets of ill patients. Most have scraped up all their extra spending money for the doctor, state and maybe some growing supplies. Any business model needs to start with what patients have to pay. There is no other source of money for these jobs.

how about setting up your current patients as growers and helping them with their grow or finding family members who can share the deed of keeping their grow going at their home if they cant physically handle watering the plants.

this opens up slots for you and your wife to get paying patients. if you think $200 a oz is overcharging people then bunny muffin you're on the wrong forum asking for ideas on ways to make money you need to just be here to talk about compassion. i'd recommend you go to entrepreneur sites for ideas on increasing income. hell kruzty charges less then i do! kruzty is a friend of mine a REALLY good guy VERY compassionate bunny muffin he gave me and a friend he had NEVER met our first plants and got us connected to other caregivers in our area closer to make it easier for us to get new genetics from the local mmj scene and more i wont go into detail about. he's a advocate but he also realizes what i realize our time is worth money and many people out there can and will gladly pay for your time, find those patients and be happy.

nothing at all wrong with charging someone who is physically capable but has decided they would rather pay someone who is passionate about growing and wiling to invest more time in it they they are. this is a cognizant decision from a able bodied person who can afford the luxury of hiring someone for a service no different then not doing your own oil change. if i come across someone who was ill and could not afford meds i would help them but i wont make it my calling and not make money in the process. i have one patient now that gets free meds and i don't make her grow her own even though she is physically capable and that's because she is my mother! I've helped lots of people and usually it's just genetics, knowledge or equipment deals. maybe i run in different circles but i just don't run into people with cards that could not water a plant every few days or get someone in their family or a friend to do it. regardless like what kruzty said or not you cant feed anyone from a empty plate...

Jobs In The Michigan Medical Marijuana Industry......

The major limiting factor is that all the money for these jobs originates in the pockets of ill patients. Most have scraped up all their extra spending money for the doctor, state and maybe some growing supplies. Any business model needs to start with what patients have to pay. There is no other source of money for these jobs.

Patients have to pay for home care aides, why can't it be another MMMP patient instead? MMMP growers need to buy grow supplies, why can't the sales person be a MMMP patient or CG? I am not trying to advocate ways to 'milk' patients for their dimes and nickles - I am saying that we should take over services that they ALREADY USE - and use MMMP people instead of hiring some outside worker from a home care agency who might not advocate MM use. I am saying, if they are going to buy grow supplies, why can't it be a patient or CG working out of his home?

The money is there - patients have a need for products and services, they are patients. Lets not have them spend money with people that do not support the MMMP.

-DN

I'll re-quote this, as it seems to have been overlooked...

YOUR patients don't NEED to pay anything, if patients OTHER than yours are providing compensation... dig...

Maybe that is the point kruztydj is trying to make... who knows...

A LOT of people are faced with low income patients and there are plenty of decent income patient in need as well..

It's like a celibate Hooker, She can sell-a-bit and give the rest away... :lol:

Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm, I'm done talking to this wall..

Archived