Royal Oak To Lay Off 2/3Rd's Of Their Police Force!

Just saw this on Channel 2 - Fox 2 Detroit.

Royal Oak has to lay off 2/3rd's of their police force due to budgetary constraints.

So, what does their city council do? They hassle medical marijuana patients and approve liquor licenses.

LMAO!

Serves the city well!

Mizerman

Just saw this on Channel 2 - Fox 2 Detroit.

Royal Oak has to lay off 2/3rd's of their police force due to budgetary constraints.

So, what does their city council do? They hassle medical marijuana patients and approve liquor licenses.

LMAO!

Serves the city well!

Mizerman

I hope that entire county goes belly up and financially collapses. I don't use the word 'hate' but I hate Oakland County!

I have absolutely no respect for their law enforcement or county leaders.

i was at the city meeting and heard all the Lawyer tell them that they were going to get sued if they were going to stop people from growing in their homes

we may move their just to be on that list we could use a little money from them

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing as soon as our lease is up.

i was at the city meeting and heard all the Lawyer tell them that they were going to get sued if they were going to stop people from growing in their homes

What an awesome idea :bow:!!! Move 70,000+ medical marijuana patients into Royal Oak. OMFG!!!!

Man I'll rent a room from ya all!

Why not be the pioneering community that royal oak has been famous for? Being on the cutting edge, i grew up 4 blocks from downtown on lincoln during the 80's and early 90's.

I have to say, im baffled as to why they wont embrace this as they did the noir scene or the G/L scene, those were cutting edge issues at the time, and the city now benefits from the example they set. Why not devise the business model they would require, implement a reasonable tax, fee, etc... and keep those officers on the force? Seems like poor leadership to me. I even spent every day at the BG club (it was 6 blocks down) for almost 3 years, i knew the staff back then quite well....

Why not be the pioneering community that royal oak has been famous for? Being on the cutting edge, i grew up 4 blocks from downtown on lincoln during the 80's and early 90's.

I have to say, im baffled as to why they wont embrace this as they did the noir scene or the G/L scene, those were cutting edge issues at the time, and the city now benefits from the example they set. Why not devise the business model they would require, implement a reasonable tax, fee, etc... and keep those officers on the force? Seems like poor leadership to me. I even spent every day at the BG club (it was 6 blocks down) for almost 3 years, i knew the staff back then quite well....

I agree. The law is here to stay and so is medical marijuana.

One would think that a forward thinking community such as Royal (Joke) Oak would devise a plan for them to make money off of medical marijuana.

Hell, the taxes and fees that could be charged to 15-20 dispensaries in their town could bring back a whole lot of those officers that are about to lose their jobs.

I hope they like being part-time Walmart greeters....

Mizerman

Here's an article from The Oakland Press -

Royal Oak may lay off 22 police officers

Published: Thursday, January 27, 2011

By Catherine Kavanaugh

For The Oakland Press

The thin blue line could be getting a lot thinner in Royal Oak.

The number of men and women who stand between criminals and law-abiding citizens is scheduled to decrease by 22 police officers in the fiscal year starting July 1.

However, city officials continue to look for ways to soften the blow to public safety. A "strategic financial planning" meeting is set for Feb. 19.

"The City Commission is very reluctant to lay off cops," City Manager Donald Johnson said.

Last year, 21 police officers got pink-slipped, but after several budget maneuvers only 12 were laid off. Then, six were called back temporarily when commissioners learned they could afford the $375,000 expense through June because tax-generating property values were projected to drop 4 percent instead of 9 percent.

Concerns about the thinning ranks of the Royal Oak Police Department were raised several times this week, starting with elected officials who tried to make a case Monday for a ban on Christmas Day liquor sales.

"Come July 1 we're queued up to lay off 16 police officers," city Commissioner Michael Andrzejak said, referring to the two-year budget approved last spring. "We can't continue to add a burden to the police department when we go in the other direction with staffing."

However, Johnson said Wednesday the pending 16 layoffs didn't include the six police officers called back temporarily in December, bringing the number of police jobs on the line to 22. Johnson also reiterated that the administration and commission are working on other options.

In the meantime, police Chief Christopher Jahnke said he is preparing to make a presentation next month about how the department would operate if it is taken from 69 officers today to 47 in five months. Royal Oak had 103 police officers about six years ago.

"Because we're the biggest department you're seeing the biggest loss," Jahnke said. "Unfortunately, we're also the department that bolsters public safety — the No. 1 priority on everyone's mind. Right now with 69 officers we're in a semi-crisis mode. We respond to calls, but we don't investigate all crimes. It's not just road patrol that's affected."

The chief said his presentation also will address how the department would look if voters passed a public safety millage, which elected officials said they won't put on the ballot unless police and fire unions make concessions.

"Of course I want to go for a millage," said Jahnke, adding he wouldn't comment on contract givebacks.

This gives me a little bit of sadistic glee on a cold, wintery, Friday afternoon 20 minutes "after" 4:20 p.m.

:jig::jig:

Mizerman

:jig::jig:

I'd hate to see more taxpayer dollars going to leo because so many are so corrupt. It's bad enough our money is paying for the miserable politicians' wars, including the war on drugs, especially cannabis, tax dollars hard at work raiding sick people, throwing them to the ground, busting up their homes, killing pets, terrorizing families. We're all paying for that??? Some world we live in.

Sb

i have been bent over and screwed by royal oak for so many stupid tickets, im glad, they dont need nearly as many cops as they have for the size of that city. if you have a ticket in their system be sure to fight it.

:goodjob:

Great point! The cop may be laid off, so they won't make the court date. :D

Royal Oak should give up entirely and join Wayne County :D

So should Southfield and Farmington :thumbsu:

The nazi party in Oakland County is wasting tons of tax money. Those funds could be going towards our children's futures but instead is being flushed down the toilet trying to figure out how they can find a loop hole in the act in order to prosecute us all..

I am happy to see this news. I just imagine how those unemployed Nazis will find a way to feed there kids, there booze fund, with nothing but unemployement to live on.. gee wonder if they get the idea what its like to be on ssid, no work, no medical insurance to speak of. God works in mysterious ways. Thank Lord!!

Buy a house there in Gf,s name..Then we can live here and she can sue them.

I am happy to see this news. I just imagine how those unemployed Nazis will find a way to feed there kids, there booze fund, with nothing but unemployement to live on.. gee wonder if they get the idea what its like to be on ssid, no work, no medical insurance to speak of. God works in mysterious ways. Thank Lord!!

Bet they will say screw it and go get a Patient card and or Caregivers card. Bet!!!

Screw Royal Oak!!! I Know for a FACT that some of the members who voted NO, smoke!! it was a 4 to 3 vote to not make it legal to grow, darn hypocrites! And they act like Royal oak is progressive and an artist community. it is a corrupt community that is trying to screw its people and benefit those in power... whats new?

Archived