Ocean Forest

Zerocool

ok i would like to know when i go to repot is this a good soil and would like to add some bone meal to it and would like to know how much lime for a mix for one gal of water as i would like to use lime for ever other week water and a good bloom mix for at 4 weeks or any help would do as for tips thank you and have a great day every one

ok i would like to know when i go to repot is this a good soil and would like to add some bone meal to it and would like to know how much lime for a mix for one gal of water as i would like to use lime for ever other week water and a good bloom mix for at 4 weeks or any help would do as for tips thank you and have a great day every one

Hi Troy,

I used to use Ocean forest and I loved it. The only reason I quit was because it was too expensive. I used it for repotting and didnt add anything for at least a month other than lemon juice to lower the ph of the water.

Once I start adding nutrients the nutes themselves seem to lower the ph but I dont know if thats true for all product lines. Seems like some products lower the ph more than others.

• 1 month later...

The biggest problem with ffof is that it has become in such demand that they sometimes ship it out before it has even finished cooking. I have been to the grow supply and was invited back to check out a pallet of ffof. The bags in the middle of the pallet were still hot to the touch and still composting.

The thing to do is buy it way before you plan to use it so it has time to finish composting....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

ive heard alot of peole saying to add lime to OF. ? i guess i'm confused i've used OF since day one and haven't had any issues with it can i ask what the reason for adding lime (dolimit lime)What dose that do or what benys is there to doing it?? just wans learn more about it any input would be great.... :thumbsu:

ive heard alot of peole saying to add lime to OF. ? i guess i'm confused i've used OF since day one and haven't had any issues with it can i ask what the reason for adding lime (dolimit lime)What dose that do or what benys is there to doing it?? just wans learn more about it any input would be great.... :thumbsu:

As Kruztydj said. It is because it is a peat based soil. Peat has a natural ph between 3.5 and 4.5, so the soil tends to drift to that PH. Coco based soils, like roots, are much more stable. Coco has a ph around 5.7-6.7, which is much more desirable for soil.

As Kruztydj said. It is because it is a peat based soil. Peat has a natural ph between 3.5 and 4.5, so the soil tends to drift to that PH. Coco based soils, like roots, are much more stable. Coco has a ph around 5.7-6.7, which is much more desirable for soil.

Ok i think i miss understood.. yes i have had slight PH Drops but i guess i just blames that on hitting girls hard with nuts later in bloom twords the 6th week im pounding nuts at 2000 ppm.. so i just assumed that was why i was droping PH levels so low ...

Ok i think i miss understood.. yes i have had slight PH Drops but i guess i just blames that on hitting girls hard with nuts later in bloom twords the 6th week im pounding nuts at 2000 ppm.. so i just assumed that was why i was droping PH levels so low ...

Lime stabilizes the ph, that is why they add it.

In organic growing, we use dolomite lime for a good source of calcium and magnesium, but that won't work if you are "pounding nuts."

Ok so im using Ionic and with that said you think i shouldn't even need to use lime? ive thought about switching nuts but i don't know what to use i tryed bontanicare nuts and seemed to not get as good of results in an allaround way... is that just cause Ionic has all the stuff in it you need or am i just way off on that..

and the 2000 ppm's is usualy what im at before i start flushing!!!

Lime only does the pH thing the way you are feeding. It is needed if the medium starts dropping early like they say. I just wanted to emphasize that it has a dual purpose in organic growing which is defeated by using high concentrations of salt based fertilizers. The other part still works though.

I have never used soil for top feeding fertilizers. It seemed to me that coco made a lot of these problems go away if I didn't need the nutrients in the soil anyway, so I used that instead. It worked very well but I have gone back to organic. It is just easier and produces better medicine, no flushing, cheaper, easier, etc. The plant is in control.

Hopefully i don't soud like a complet retard But here goes ... so you grow in only COCO..???

ive wanted to get away from growing in soil but the only other option i alway thought way hydro and i don't want to grow that way cause the smoke is just not the same? if you don't mind me asking what kind of coco mix do you use and with that what Nuts do you use with COCO..i would like to switch mediums but i don't know what to use other than soil..

Yes. I only water my plants with water and microbial tea now. Cheap and easy. All the fertilizer is in the soil or top dressed going into flower.

so the coco that u use comes with nuts all in it?

and when u say top dressed you mean the soil u put on top of the coco?

what kind of tea do you use?

If im asking to much i understand just trying to learn...

I use Pro-Mix BX for all my soil grows. I recently bought a bag of oceans forest just to transfer some clones to cups. While reading thru these posts i got curious about the Ph of Oceans Forest. I went downstairs and put my soil probe right into the bag and it came out 5.5. I dont think its the soil itself that causes random Ph movement. I think its the uptake of the plant. This is why. Yesterday morning i changed my hydro rez and set the Ph to 5.8. this morning (24 hours later) it was at 5.47. While I was checking the soil, i checked my rez again ( 12 more hours) my Ph is at 5.61. I set it back to 5.8 this morning and its dropping. This is in water. Well water. As the plants take what they need, its gonna adjust the Ph. Im not so sure if a brand of soil will make much difference. Just my thoughts. Medcnman.

I agree. A good brand does make a difference but the Ph will fluxuate no matter what soil you use. Maybe one more than another but it will change. Medcnman.

Very true, especially with soil mixes that already have ingrediants in them, more so then say sunshine mix4 or coco..With mixes like those I think it more come downs to the grower and how hes doing his water, IE what ph the waters going into the soil...Consistency is my best friend there.

Very true, especially with soil mixes that already have ingrediants in them, more so then say sunshine mix4 or coco..With mixes like those I think it more come downs to the grower and how hes doing his water, IE what ph the waters going into the soil...Consistency is my best friend there.

Archived