My Friend Got His Card Confiscated By Police

Okay, I need somebody to clarify this for me because this actually really scares me.

I live in Oakland County, the worst place to get busted for anything in this state. Plus sheriff Douche-hard has no respect for patients. Anyways, my friend was driving in Auburn Hills a couple days ago. Him and his buddy, who both have cards, got pulled over by an Oakland County deputy because my friend's left tail light was out. Both of them were traveling with 2 ounces each in their names. The cop could smell their meds and they showed their cards right away. The deputy then asked them to show him their meds. They take them out of their backpacks and let the officer observed them. They each had their stuff in a ziplock bags. The cop confiscated their cards from them because he claimed they violated the law by not having their meds in a jar or container with a lock/latch. He also said that because there wasn't a label on their bags that said "Use in Compliance with the Medical Marihuana Act" it gives the impression to authorities that they bought that off the street, which mean patient or not it's still a drug deal.

They didn't get charged with possession, but they lost their cards and their meds for violating the law. They are both trying to fight it, but they probably won't win because it's tough fighting the law. I guess there are more gray areas in the law than I thought there were.

Was this cop in the right for what he did? Yes I agree what he did was messed up. But my question is was he right in the legal sense? Do patients like myself have to keep our meds in a jar or container with a locking latch?

Some time back i read something here in our forums that they wanted caregivers to secure their patients meds in the trunk area of the vehicle but I'm not sure it will stand it court but seeing that its Oakland county they might be screwed they were the first to start this all out assault on the sick and dying.

Okay, I need somebody to clarify this for me because this actually really scares me.

I live in Oakland County, the worst place to get busted for anything in this state. Plus sheriff Douche-hard has no respect for patients. Anyways, my friend was driving in Auburn Hills a couple days ago. Him and his buddy, who both have cards, got pulled over by an Oakland County deputy because my friend's left tail light was out. Both of them were traveling with 2 ounces each in their names. The cop could smell their meds and they showed their cards right away. The deputy then asked them to show him their meds. They take them out of their backpacks and let the officer observed them. They each had their stuff in a ziplock bags. The cop confiscated their cards from them because he claimed they violated the law by not having their meds in a jar or container with a lock/latch. He also said that because there wasn't a label on their bags that said "Use in Compliance with the Medical Marihuana Act" it gives the impression to authorities that they bought that off the street, which mean patient or not it's still a drug deal.

They didn't get charged with possession, but they lost their cards and their meds for violating the law. They are both trying to fight it, but they probably won't win because it's tough fighting the law. I guess there are more gray areas in the law than I thought there were.

Was this cop in the right for what he did? Yes I agree what he did was messed up. But my question is was he right in the legal sense? Do patients like myself have to keep our meds in a jar or container with a locking latch?

well am sorry about what happen to your friends and it sure sounds like they were in the right i would keep fighting for their rights

No the cop is full of shet period.Hire a lawyer and sue them till they dont have a fire truck left in the city. Does not have to be in a jar, does not have to be labeled and he had no right at all taking your medicine period. Hire a lawyer and sue the crap out of them. Contact the P/A and turn the cop in for robbing you or them and robbing you while being armed. Then file a written complaint with the dept for being robbed by the stupid cop cuz thats just what that pig did was rob ya or them :growl: :growl: :growl: :growl:

No the cop is full of shet period.Hire a lawyer and sue them till they dont have a fire truck left in the city. Does not have to be in a jar, does not have to be labeled and he had no right at all taking your medicine period. Hire a lawyer and sue the crap out of them. Contact the P/A and turn the cop in for robbing you or them and robbing you while being armed. Then file a written complaint with the dept for being robbed by the stupid cop cuz thats just what that pig did was rob ya or them :growl: :growl: :growl: :growl:

Problem is that it can cost lots of time and $$$ to "sue the crap out of them". But certainly file formal complaints to begin with. I'd also contact your local congress people. Newspapers? (How private does this person need to be?)

z

hire a Lawyer. call ACLU on it...

yes it will be money, but Oakland and meds is a bad combo on any level... i would expect a visit now that they dont have cards.

Tomorrow, i would also be calling LARA to file a formal Complaint, as well as one with the City/County, but be doing it thru the Lawyer.

I would honestly expect this to be the start of it. not to be an alarmist, but a realist of Oakland County. I'd tell them to get a lawyer asap.

I can't quote the law but I believe that it reads something like this: that as a patient, we are allowed to obtain our medicine from any means possible within our legal limits. To me - that means that I can obtain from ANY SOURCE including all illegal dealer/growers available to me as long as I only obtained my legal amount. Maybe I'm medicating to much and have imagined that....now to dig up what I think I know...

Kruztydj is 100% correct, the cop is a criminal and commited armed robbery. If all the details you gave are correct you did nothing to violate the act. The laws he quoted just do not exist. (yet)

Press charges and follow through, your civil rights were violated as well as a felony was commited by the officer. If you don't have the money for a lawyer, I'm betting under the circumstances you can find someone to represent you at a low cost. Even in Oakland county armed robbery is illegal. Confiscating you meds and cards under false pretenses was also a crime. I hope you follow through on this, if I were in the situation you are in I would sell my house in order to see justice done. Not only for myself, but for every patient in the state.

once again the cops don't know the law,marchdosn there to

borrow and demand the cards back.they are breaking the law.gosh I wish it were me,I know my rights. Educate your friends and quickly.

If the story is as you say then the police had no right what so ever to take the meds or the cards. Those that got their meds and cards taken should be marching right down there and be demanding back the cards and meds. I would be willing to bet that they could find a lawyer to take this pro bono for a lawsuit. The police had absolutely no right to take either.

im not sure if this bll passed or not but

HB 4856 (Glardon-R) – Provides certain limitations for the transportation of

marijuana by vehicle

- The bill would prohibit the transportation of marijuana by vehicle unless it is enclosed

in a case, carried in the trunk, or otherwise inaccessible from the passenger compartment.

A violation would be a misdemeanor subject to a fine of up to $100 or imprisonment of

up to 90 days.

POSITION: MPP understands the need for some restrictions on transportation of

marijuana and takes no position regarding this legislation.

im not sure if this bll passed or not but

HB 4856 (Glardon-R) – Provides certain limitations for the transportation of

marijuana by vehicle

- The bill would prohibit the transportation of marijuana by vehicle unless it is enclosed

in a case, carried in the trunk, or otherwise inaccessible from the passenger compartment.

A violation would be a misdemeanor subject to a fine of up to $100 or imprisonment of

up to 90 days.

POSITION: MPP understands the need for some restrictions on transportation of

marijuana and takes no position regarding this legislation.

There have NOT been ANY bills passed pertaining to the MMJ Act of 08. Zero.

Do patients like myself have to keep our meds in a jar or container with a locking latch?

This is not part of the act but only part of one of the bills they are trying to pass to amend the act. Sounds like the cop does not have any of his facts straight.

He also said that because there wasn't a label on their bags that said "Use in Compliance with the Medical Marihuana Act" it gives the impression to authorities that they bought that off the street, which mean patient or not it's still a drug deal."Use in Compliance with the Medical Marihuana Act" No~ The cop needs to read the act and the laws.

I would fight this and I am in horror of the court system.

Like I said they got ROBBED. File a formal complaint with the police dept and contact the prosecutor and demand they file armed robbery charges as the pig stole your or there meds AND CARD while being armed. Contact the news station and go the hell off. :growl: :growl: :growl: :growl: :growl:

Like I said they got ROBBED. File a formal complaint with the police dept and contact the prosecutor and demand they file armed robbery charges as the pig stole your or there meds AND CARD while being armed. Contact the news station and go the hell off. :growl: :growl: :growl: :growl: :growl:

100%

I know its not right and it sucks for your friends but next time just keep the meds labeled, and in the truck or a locked box. Print out some simple labels on the computer and get a check cash box or something. Thats what I am gonna do just to be safe :0 I would file a complaint though if possible.

I know its not right and it sucks for your friends but next time just keep the meds labeled, and in the truck or a locked box. Print out some simple labels on the computer and get a check cash box or something. Thats what I am gonna do just to be safe :0 I would file a complaint though if possible.

I also agree with that. Everyone should take precautions as the police clearly do not know or do not care what the law says.

But def. go after them for this outrage. Even though we should take our own precautions it is NOT written into this law.

No you do not have to print some stupid label or put it in some stupid box. The cop would have robbed them anyways. They did what they needed to do and that was they got there cards and was in the limit of the ACT. No they did what they needed to do and it's leo that has to do THEIR JOB. That being following a 3 year old law. No that cop knew what was up and he flat robbed them period. This is a outrage period and they should be going the hell off and demanding the cops job and freedom.

FILE THE CHARGES AND COMPLAINTS..

DON'T JUST BEND OVER AND TAKE IT, FIGHT BACK........................ ............ :growl: :growl: :growl: :growl: :growl:

Now if you just let it go,let the cop smoke your bud, keep your card so he can scam some caregivers.brag to his buddies that he got one over on you.

Or you can just go off on that arse .complain,complain,file charges,make a lot of noise,a letter from a lawyer doesn't cost much if anything.did he even log in that he stole your meds and cards.

If you ignore what happened, who knows there might be a warrant for your arrest floating out there somewhere since you didn't try to get back your legal meds and state cards, you must be a criminal.

If there is no record of the 4 oz or your cards the cop is the criminal.

But beware they will probably will use the line " we don't prosacute our own " :growl:

yeah the police can be intimidating, but we already know what lengths they would stoop too. know your rights and stand up for yourself. these over-zealous thugs are going to push around and rip-off more patients today because they've gotten away w their actions yesterday.

This situation is absurd. I'll guess your friends are just relieved that they didn't get charged w anything (like they even could have) and it was that exact fear the cop played on. This is a case of a Thug Going Way Over The Line.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Next time your people really should better know their rights. Not going after them Now, Full-Measure, is something that the entire community ends up paying for. Cops are just people, some good some bad. Never, Never let anyone push you around... One day your life may count on it.

Problem is that it can cost lots of time and $$$ to "sue the crap out of them". But certainly file formal complaints to begin with. I'd also contact your local congress people. Newspapers? (How private does this person need to be?)

z

He has already made a complaint with LARA and the Oakland County Sheriff's office. They both have a lawyer and are fighting this thing tooth and nail. He has contacted his congressmen. As far as the media, they would prefer no to go on record because my buddy had a really high up job and his employer doesn't know about his card. If it was me, I would have called the local Detroit news in a heart beat.

I will keep this thread updated.

z

lets take up a collection for legal fund. that donkey needs to be suied.

Now if you just let it go,let the cop smoke your bud, keep your card so he can scam some caregivers.brag to his buddies that he got one over on you.

Or you can just go off on that arse .complain,complain,file charges,make a lot of noise,a letter from a lawyer doesn't cost much if anything.did he even log in that he stole your meds and cards.

If you ignore what happened, who knows there might be a warrant for your arrest floating out there somewhere since you didn't try to get back your legal meds and state cards, you must be a criminal.

If there is no record of the 4 oz or your cards the cop is the criminal.

But beware they will probably will use the line " we don't prosacute our own " :growl:

this is one of the reasons I need to be medicated so idiots don't make me kick their butts. and now we see who gives cops a bad name. can't we send in state authorities to raise heck and file charges for that county not abiding by the law? crooked cops are much worse than criminals of any kind! hope they are reading this then they can see what normal people think of them. we have the law on our side that makes them the criminals. and the rest of what I need to say would just get filtered out. they come to my home I will declare war!

Archived