Cannabis Coalition Unifies State In Opposition To House Bills

I disagree that 4853 is as benign as most think. If all it does is codify existing law, then there is no reason to do anything. Admittedly, not understanding all of the implications, it would introduce, for the first time "sales" into code when referring to marijuana distribution. The main reason that P v McQueen was such a horrible ruling, is that it said that "sales" should be included in the definition of medical use, in order for participants of the program to have an exemption to the current laws. The problem is, while growing it, possessing it, getting and giving it are already illegal and exemptions needed (according to the COA perspective) for participants, "sales" are not mentioned at all. When someone is charged with "selling", they are actually charged with delivery or distribution because the act was illegal whether or not money was exchanged.

I understand when someone, including good lawyers, don't see an immediate issue. However, I still wonder what the real purpose for doing this is, if it really doesn't mean anything and is already the law.

If it passes, I believe that there could be some potential challenges.

Of course, we need be concerned with the bills in need of a super-majority vote that we can possibly do something about.

Malamute and others are correct. If 4853 gets a vote, it will likely pass.

Sec. 4(k) is what mentions "sells".

We passed that in our law. And if you notice, it directly states in 4853, this sentence corresponds with the the MMACT sec. 4(k). You may not like the short term used, but the short term means nothing. It is not creating any new law.

Adding the sentencing guideline recommended in the new Act is simply what gets done. They eventually add all felonies to the sentencing guidelines. From my understanding, this is simple codification of the law.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Malamute- I understand this. I remain skeptical for the reasons I stated.

I will not spend much time worrying about until or unless it passes. I think (admittedly conspiratorially) that there are alterior motives, otherwise there is no compelling reason to do this. There are also some changes in language, albeit subtle, potentially, significantly different depending on the ultimate definition of what the restrictions are on licensing.

As I said, I may revisit some things if passes, otherwise, let's stop 4834!

Maybe we should introduce a laundry list of those things we want after all. For instance, adding "sales" to the protections, clarifying that patients and caregivers can freely buy and sell to and from each other and require proof of intoxication at motor stops, and include a provision for measuring the quantity of cannabis in medibles rather than the whole thing. These people, after all, work for us. :bong7bp::lolu:

Edited by GregS

HB 4853 will take 51% to pass and does nothing to change the law.

It's a big shrug.

It simply puts this:

"(k) Any registered qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver who sells marihuana to someone who is not allowed to use marihuana for medical purposes under this act shall have his or her registry identification card revoked and is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both, in addition to any other penalties for the distribution of marihuana."

Known as " MCL 333.26424 (k) " because it is the michigan medical marihuana act Sec. 4 (k)

Here is my question on that one.. What if I sell marihuana to someone who IS allowed to use marihuana for medical purposes under this act? Kind of pointless to put this in there since it is illegal to sell to the "black-market" pre-MMMA, why add it now.. unless the COA was wrong in Mcqueen ..nooooo..

Edited by Morhawk

Wow Wringly. You sure have me pegged :rolleyes: It is all a grand conspiracy. I will admit now that I have millions of dollars, I fly Bill Schuette and the state reps to my house on the weekend, we have milk and cookies and talk about killing kittens. It is a riot.

I know I said I would try to not say anything too mean, but I sure am tempted...

Wow Wringly. You sure have me pegged :rolleyes: It is all a grand conspiracy. I will admit now that I have millions of dollars, I fly Bill Schuette and the state reps to my house on the weekend, we have milk and cookies and talk about killing kittens. It is a riot.

I know I said I would try to not say anything too mean, but I sure am tempted...

And I fly the Big Pharma corporate jet

There appears to be a little leftover thinking from the changing culture of this site.

Whether it is Wringly or anyone, having an actual point, then being able to rationally discuss it, or accept answers and different views, but remain coherent and civil, without inwardly pointing fingers, will offer a much more healthy and productive forum.

Because of the changes made here, so many more people who are actively involved and knowledgable of many of the scenarios contemplated here, have been participating and imparting very useful information.

For so long, a big part of the truth was missing from these discussions and replaced with false accusations and divisive intentions. The current state of things is quite remarkable and exciting in a lot of ways.

Let the detractors die off or learn how to be a part of things in this, more evolved, approach.

Much thanks to Michael and Chad and those coming back and feeling comfortable contributing the real, pertinent information we can all benefit from.

Well said Jamieuke :D

wow, you are right in there with the community ASP. Just one of the guys.

Now answer to why you fought to have certification documents declared not to be medical records, and the planting stories under false names to take a shot a MMJ advocates in the middle of a fight with Schuette. You have been exposed and it is time you account for yourself or leave.

Dr. Bob

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/39332-question-for-patients/page__fromsearch__1 There is the post you hung around all day, and all the questions you need to answer about your actions. Don't walk in here like you have the interests of the community at heart, or want to be part of the solution. You are the problem and it is high time folks know what you stand for, they are asking the questions you don't want to answer in that thread, not here.

Any 'certification clinic event' company that would argue that certification documents are NOT medical records to protect their own financial interests, especially one that set precedence that Bill Schuette and company will use to support their call for opening of the registry- they aren't medical records or subjected to the same privacy. Hope it was worth it to you. You should be ashamed of yourself. You were called out by the community and failed to explain yourself. Go back and do it now.

Dr. Bob

I am glad to see so many that are now working together. After the Last May Rally I became so disenchanted that I even though I still read the Boards I was unhappy where the MMMA was at and the direction they were going. I sent an email to JC to explain where I was at. A lot of the concerns I see now, were my concerns last summer. We seemed to have no real plan of attack and had no recognizable person to front our cause. I am appalled at 250 showing up for a Rally and we consider that a sucess, Rallies hurts when you can't get at least thousands. When there is nothing they can see but people, then a Rally has a chance for some positive publicity otherwise with weed smoking and people dressing like the sixties is

that is not not going to help our cause. Dressing like professionals, acting professional in all of our actions, and treating our opponent with respect will go a long way to help our cause.

I for one am glad that we have many lobbying for us. Yes I would like to know more of what is happening behind closed doors, but will have to trust someone to do that in a responsible way.

I will tell Anyone they first time I saw a card I was shocked there was no picture on it. I have lived i near some major metro areas and I am pretty sure I could have a fake copy made with-in a very short time. Why would I want a Photo card? For My protection, Like I insinuated I have lived in Gang infested areas and have met many grow into the Gangs as they went to school with My older child. By knowing them since grade school they leave us alone, but I am well aware of the different ways they make money. Drug Sales, Robberies, Forgeries, and any other way to make quick cash. My worst nightmare would be someone with a similar life steal My card then use it to buy MMJ at every possible source and then just discard it leaving me with a mess to clean up.

That scenario may sound farfetched to many, but I live in area where I see similar scams on a consistent basis.

As for a locked facility for Transportation, although I don't like the double standard concerning MMJ and other Prescription Drugs I have no problem supporting a way to insure that the Driver and passengers have no access to something that is Illegal to consume in Public. I already do the same for alcohol just to lessen my chance for problems with the Police. Somethings just don't make sense and fighting to keep something that has no apparent advantage other than being close enough to smoke Illegally. Yes I understand that not everyone has a trunk so I would suggest using what ever they have on the books for alcohol transportation.

We need to show the State that we need our medicine and that we will use it it a way that is legal and not show any situation which could be seen possible seen in a negative way. For example why would you medically need to have your medicine anywhere else but the trunk while in transit knowing that any use while in the vehicle would be Illegal. Now I will say there have been times while on the Road that the need for my meds has occurred and I didn't have a non-public place to go, What are we to do in those situations? I think any Non-Driver that has a Current Legal MMJ Card should be able to medicate in their vehicle in the most safest and non evasive place to the public that they can find. Either that or we are going to need places all over the State where MMJ Patients can medicate in a safe environment or not be able to travel.

Dispensaries not for me, but a needed entity. I have a Rel who decided against their own grow because they liked the feeling of being in a store environment. Made it feel more legit.

Me I will cultivate until I vegetate. I Will never support giving up Patients right to Grow.

CPU A site I found last winter and checked out occasionally. I never saw where they had evil interest's or personal gain aspirations. What I saw was that they got a seat at the Table and the MMMA did not and when JC spoke, He rambled a bunch of unintelligible Stats that did not seem to have any rhyme or reason, From that day on I paid a lot more attention to CPU as I saw someone doing more than making noise. I was extremely happy when I saw the List of Our United Fighters for this cause of Ours, Now let's take it to them in a positive way.

P.S. My only Dog in this Fight is Patients Rights such as the right to Grow, and to be able to acquire if needed for whatever reason.

Edited by HE Warmke