The Michigan Medical Marihuana Provisioning Act Hb5580 (dispensary Bill)

You need to fix your local problems locally. This bill isn't going to help that. Focus on outlining what a legal transfer is. That's what is important. That's what will keep the doors open and keep good owners out of prison. And we need that to help any patients with a dispensary. The action has to be made legal. That is a mountain in itself. Solve that one, leave the local nitty gritty out of it.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even worse FF. When I asked Jamie, the dispensary person, about this, he denied the dispensary even wants to grow plants. He said it was for us. He said we can grow numerous 72 plant crops in his warehouse connected with the dispensary. He said it, I didn't. Now, how long will that baby stay open?

Some in A2 are already growing for themselves. everything in this bill is already being implemented don't get fooled again..

5580 is a local option bill. A given municipality can choose to embrace or not embrace commercial mmj activity.

If 5580 were to become law, it would be much easier to work with a council or commission or board to zone for mmj activity in non residential zoning. Even some local governments that have been restrictive, will be open to reconsidering with the state law behind them.

If a municipality remains defiant in allowing this activity in places where the citizens want it, those people, sitting on council,can be voted out in the following election and replaced with more like minded civil leaders.

The citizens, in some places, could also arrange to get the issue in front of the voters.

If a municipality chooses to allow a provisioning center, it would have discretion over a lot of the operational details, and the center would also be recognized on a state wide level.

With the municipality language the bill leaves the door wide open to barring most mmj activities. Just take a look at the recent movement by some cities. Their example is our warning sign.

as a general rule, zoning ordinances that place additional requirements, but do not conflict with the MMMA, are valid and enforceable.

Unless this bill changes the MMMA then the city and townships can work within that scope even without what the language of this bill has written in it?

Edited by restlesslegs

as a general rule, zoning ordinances that place additional requirements, but do not conflict with the MMMA, are valid and enforceable.

Unless this bill changes the MMMA then the city and townships can work within that scope even without what the language of this bill has written in it?

Patients do and should have more protections under law to grow within their homes and regulations that would deny that would be clearly shown to be against the MMMActs original intent . When it comes to caregivers who seek to profit that becomes commercial activity subject to regulation . Insurance guidelines follow the same treatment a caregiver may not be coverred under their home insurance policy where a patient may be unless again Federal Law is invoked to circumvent fair treatment . These are the areas the Legislators should be clearing up making sure insurance companies operating in the State do not pull shenanigans like that . It is very discriminatory at this point to still say cannabis has no known medical value when the FDA even makes a synthetic and dispenses it under schedule 3 that people have drove and could work legally on for decades .

Everyday it is the same issues posted here and fewer and fewer poeple seem to come around . The original intent of the MMMA as published was to be for patients , caregivers and education about the act . All activism was to be directed to Norml so as not to cause patient stress . However patients and caregivers were concerned , wanted to know what was going on or warn others of the dangers and to be active . However it just seems like there is never any peace and things just keep becoming worse instead of better . There is no law enforcement here to talk to us and bridge the gap of understanding between officers who are prevented from being hired or let go from working patrols if disabled and our community of " qualified " patients . We are patients there should be no us vs them mentality if this law is working right for patients acting in good faith .

Our law is not working properly when arrests are up and 62% of grow room inspections lead to felony arrests over technicalities or finepoints in practice not sales for profit to people outside our community . When any patients fear law enforcement and most do we have a problem and it has been 3 years now . Law Enforcement can't even give out a pamphlet on what they expect statewide like the DNR does for a fishing license .The head of Law Enforcement still denies medical cannabis even exists with over 50,000 patients depending on his support . People are being hurt severely , some well meaning patients , are being arrested and labeled criminals for life . Sure there are abusers but the whole point of this law was to stop punishing those who were not by giving patients the benefit of a doubt and to be reasonable . To see how removing criminality and fear may effect positive patient outcomes . 3 years now and one can't even go to a emergency room with a totally unrelated complaint and not have cannabis use brought up and blamed for what the medical system can't solve now as well as before the law . One cannot even find non discriminatory care .

I hope someone explains to legislators why the Farmers Markets comply better with Federal Laws more then dispensaries with sales agents unrelated to small grows cuasing conspiracy to deliver over plant count issues ? That the regulation is causing the excessive costs . Under FDA rules morphine is dispensed for under $15 a month for patients in many cases . Of course on the Street the same amount would sell for thousands of dollars . Patients should not be paying street black market prices for their legal cannabis nor should cost and taxation be the way to regulate patient use like the latest Judiciary committee members discussed and seemed to approve of . Who is standing up for patients ? It seems that they are left in the wake of those concerned with profiting in someway through sales , regulation or political gain constantly .

Edited by Croppled1

Patients do and should have more protections under law to grow within their homes and regulations that would deny that would be clearly shown to be against the MMMActs original intent . When it comes to caregivers who seek to profit that becomes commercial activity subject to regulation . Insurance guidelines follow the same treatment a caregiver may not be coverred under their home insurance policy where a patient may be unless again Federal Law is invoked to circumvent fair treatment . These are the areas the Legislators should be clearing up making sure insurance companies do not pull shenanigans like that .

:gym: Preach on !

Patients do and should have more protections under law to grow within their homes and regulations that would deny that would be clearly shown to be against the MMMActs original intent . When it comes to caregivers who seek to profit that becomes commercial activity subject to regulation . Insurance guidelines follow the same treatment a caregiver may not be coverred under their home insurance policy where a patient may be unless again Federal Law is invoked to circumvent fair treatment . These are the areas the Legislators should be clearing up making sure insurance companies do not pull shenanigans like that .

That is deep thinking and one that I was not even aware of. That is an issue that might arise with this bill.

This bill is favored by the committee that passed the other four bills. Make no mistake about if the other bills pass this one will to. We do need to make an amendment, I am working on one, and it will be taken apart by them for sure that is a given. If we can make changes that they can agree to and protect ourselves we have a much better chance of getting an amendment taken seriously and hopefully see some changes in this bills language.

IMO WE have zero chance to change anything about it. That's why it was so important to submit the right language in the first place. Now we are stuck with this. It will not help a single patient. The best thing that could happen is that it doesn't get voted up. But if you put a hammer in the hand of a monkey, it(they) will break something with it.

People should listen to last night's Planet Green Trees broadcast. The discussion was predominantly on 5580 and the last hour was spent interviewing the sponsor of the bill- Rep. Callton.

Some amendments would be good, and he is open to hearing them. Some people will be sharing their ideas with me and/or Zap. This is not necessary, the requested changes can go to Callton or another Rep, but we will help with framing the issue and presenting to him.

So far, removing or better defining the cultivation language, adding language to clearly separate 5580 from having anything to do with residences, and perhaps defining the ability of the providing caregiver to engage in direct distribution with patients to emulate the Farmer's market model.

With the exception of removing the cultivation language, the rest of it is already inheritly included, but should be more clearly defined according to some.

Callton discussed all of these things last night. Last nifht's show is a must listen for those participating in this discussion, on and off the forum.

People should listen to last night's Planet Green Trees broadcast. The discussion was predominantly on 5580 and the last hour was spent interviewing the sponsor of the bill- Rep. Callton.

Some amendments would be good, and he is open to hearing them. Some people will be sharing their ideas with me and/or Zap. This is not necessary, the requested changes can go to Callton or another Rep, but we will help with framing the issue and presenting to him.

So far, removing or better defining the cultivation language, adding language to clearly separate 5580 from having anything to do with residences, and perhaps defining the ability of the providing caregiver to engage in direct distribution with patients to emulate the Farmer's market model.

With the exception of removing the cultivation language, the rest of it is already inheritly included, but should be more clearly defined according to some.

Callton discussed all of these things last night. Last nifht's show is a must listen for those participating in this discussion, on and off the forum.

Jamie I have been working on an amendment type change and strike out of the bill. I can not submit anything without either you or Zap (Chad?) because you would need to look at it, edit it so Callton would take it seriously. I have been taking what everyone has said into consideration and studying up on local laws, how the committee feels about this bill, and I will listen to the broadcast to get a better feel about what is important to Callton. I am trying to make the most pertinent changes without any drastic changes you and Zap have said are the most important parts of the bill. I do not think it would be wasted effort. I firmly believe we must to this in the correct manner to have any chance of Callton willing to look at it and hopefully make amendments to the bill. I do hope you are still willing to use this and to represent it to him. I do not think he would be receptive to me representing it to him since I am not in his district. This needs to come from someone who knows him and/or is in his district.

OK I am impressed with Mike Callton, he is nothing like I perceived him as being. I think everyone should listen to the show from last night also who has an interest in this bill, skip through to I think it is around 70, to hear him. He is on our side and is trying to make it better for us. It was so refreshing to hear from a representative who does not dog us. Wow and I am listening and he say there will be amendments! This guy is pretty cool.

This bill was set forth by dispensary owners that want to grow their own and those that have a war going with their local municipalities. I don't support either being sanctioned by a state law. That's the raw truth and nothing you say will change the truth. You can call telling the truth 'spewing'. Fine. I'm paying attention more than any of you. You let it look like Joe Cain is sponsoring the radio show. You left it for weeks. Nuff said...

Thank you Chad it is important we all work together. I am really glad I listened, still listening right now your voice fits you well, it has gave me such a better understanding of what this bill is actually trying to do. As Callton said it is not written in stone, he wants it to help us not hinder us. Very good show!

I wasted enough of my time. Next you will be putting false motives on me again. You guys play with the wording you created. It's been your baby all along. That has become all too clear. It's like talking to a wall.

I have to add, it is nice to finally see some candor about who submitted the language. Last you posted here about that, you were playing cute, asking me why I assumed MACC submitted it. I was a step ahead of you. You knew all along I was right and would not admit it.

Edited by Restorium2

You are holding the bar a little high for a fella that doesn't have a radio show, a compassion club, and a website to administrate, aren't ya?

If I were, it would not say, on the front page, that Joe Cain was my boss. LOL Not that I hate Joe, I hate getting BS ed about things more than anything.

Again with this. I can tell you 100% that I have had nothing to do with the wording on this bill yet, period.

It is funny how little tolerance you have for even an error pertaining to Joe Cain, and yet you have no qualms with acting just like him in a public forum.

OK, my man. We will talk.

OK I am impressed with Mike Callton, he is nothing like I perceived him as being. I think everyone should listen to the show from last night also who has an interest in this bill, skip through to I think it is around 70, to hear him. He is on our side and is trying to make it better for us. It was so refreshing to hear from a representative who does not dog us. Wow and I am listening and he say there will be amendments! This guy is pretty cool.

I agree, he said a lot of good things. I especially liked his thoughts on the profit factor and how prescription narcotics are the true gateway drug.

I have to medicate badly, rest and get my thought process back up to par but wanted to let you all know I spent about an hour on the phone just now with Nick, a nice young gentleman who works in the office of Mike Callton. It was very interesting but the hour flew by so quickly and I have so much more to discuss. He took notes and will be giving them to "his boss" to look over. Some wording was made cleared to me and others I had more issues with after we talked. It was a very good conversation over all and I will be sending him an email on what we touched on and further things we did not get a chance to discuss,.

Rest, give it a rest. I am sure Zap will fix the broadcast, and we need to stop worrying about who wrote something and start worrying about what is in the bill. There have been some very good suggestions, but this isn't my field and I'd rather discuss ideas than authors.

Dr. Bob

PS I am learning a lot about distribution, but it is only a hobby for me. My only interests is seeing that my patients have access to meds. As a side concern, I really like the 'mom and pop' nature of the caregiver system and will defend that.

Edited by Dr. Bob