Medical Marijuana Backers Protest Proposed Michigan Legislation

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rumor has it there talk of a course on MM at a local college in BR

that might be news

Also an old school CC is opening here...of course any and all support is welcome.

yall can keep beating those dead hoarses or come help blaze some new territory in the most conservative part of the state.

be our bud

Edited by beourbud

just because it not the center of your world dont mean it aint home to us patients.

like i said the press come to where the news is

lets make some news

Detroit isn't the center of my world either but turnout would be better. It isn't about my world it is about what is effective. Effectiveness is partly a function of turnout. This is common sense stuff.

Detroit isn't the center of my world either but turnout would be better. It isn't about my world it is about what is effective. Effectiveness is partly a function of turnout. This is common sense stuff.

effectiveness is measured with results.....thus far there is little evidence of results over 3.5 years

The CCCC has the right idea, they are good people with good intentions. You have to respect that.

it is easy to armchair quarterback.......start leading

lets get a rally in BR.

Edited by beourbud

It was your LEADER that F-ed it up. Pure and simple. The MESSAGE was important and it didn't get through. That was your leaders job and it was bungled. It had nothing to do with anything happening here. Don't try to pass the buck.

We had NO leaders there..I didnt see anyone from MMMA there..Didnt see hardly anyone there..Everyone one wants to Point fingers at what people DIDNT do..better questions is..What did you do to help the protest?

Party?

wow...lots of neg vibe already...no wonder we right where we started 3.5 years ago

You want to have a rally. Great.

1. What SPECIFIC ISSUES are you going to address from the bills?

2. What speakers and on what subjects will you have, where will you put them up, what are their schedules like.

3. What is your time line, who specifically are you trying to get the message to, and WHY is it important to get that message to them on that date?

4. What types of messages do you want on the signs, and what type of messages DON'T you want on them.

5. What news media will be involved? Do you have contacts with those agencies, can you make arrangements for them to cover your event?

6. How are you going to publicise the event, what is your advertising strategy and budget?

7. What kind of resources can you bring to bear to help you- compassion clubs for manpower to make signs? Who will put out the fliers, etc.

8. What other groups will be involved to show it is a community effort? What do they want on the program for the protest, how do those issues mesh with what you want to put out?

9. Can you condense your message to a few well worded soundbites? What are your prepared quotes, and who will issue statements?

10. Logistics for the rally- Pa system, podium, bottled water for speakers, backgrouds (banners, etc)- what does the speaker platform look like for news photos, etc.

These are just a FEW of the details of a well organized rally. You ready to do them? or do we all just show up and do whatever comes to mind at the moment like a typical rally?

Dr. Bob

Beo, there is a start, that list. Come up with an organized plan and present it to the community, I'll bet you will get support and help. Rather than have a rally in a college town in God's Country, why don't you look at a presentation to the communtiy? Becca did something like that in Lansing and it was well attended. Educate local leaders, doctors, introduce the community to your organization. There are MANY things you can do rather than just having a protest to improve the image of MMJ. And launch a community resource center in the process.

Dr. Bob

where is the support for the community

Help us In Big Rapids

Lets show them what an asset a TRUE Compasion Center can be to a community.

A rally isn't going to prove a compassion center's importance to a community. That will happen on a case by case basis. Get your center to do tons of volunteer work there. Sign up to clean a highway and get one of those signs with your center's name on it. Read to, and play cards with, seniors. Offer tutoring for kids at a public library. Collect food for your local pantry. Etc.

I was thinking more in lines with a perpetual opp working with advocates at large to speak.

A monthly meeting to grow and nurture solidarity

The only unified issue is advocating for the protection and advance of our MM Law.

Education in terms of regs, grows etc is crucial to overall acceptance of MM

We can do it

Big Rapids is the place

A rally isn't going to prove a compassion center's importance to a community. That will happen on a case by case basis. Get your center to do tons of volunteer work there. Sign up to clean a highway and get one of those signs with your center's name on it. Read to, and play cards with, seniors. Offer tutoring for kids at a public library. Collect food for your local pantry. Etc.

<p>Agreed.. But to be clear.. 5000 ppl in a small town that is having issues with MM in their community would be a great

blaming the protesters is just more of the "do nothing line".... we all kn ow full well that we dont even need to be present and the media will say what they like. If anyone's to blame its those who tried to keep others from attending.

d) There shall be a presumption that a qualifying patient or primary caregiver is engaged in the medical use of marihuana in accordance with this act if the qualifying patient or primary caregiver: (medical use means) (e) "Medical use" means the acquisition, possession, cultivation, manufacture, use, internal possession, delivery, transfer, or transportation of marihuana or paraphernalia relating to the administration of marihuana to treat or alleviate a registered qualifying patient's debilitating medical condition or symptoms associated with the debilitating medical condition. (g) A person shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for providing a registered qualifying patient or a registered primary caregiver with marihuana paraphernalia for purposes of a qualifying patient's medical use of marihuana (i) A person shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, solely for being in the presence or vicinity of the medical use of marihuana in accordance with this act, or for assisting a registered qualifying patient with using or administering marihuana. here it says you cant sell to UNlicensed people..so as long as they are PaTIENTS YOU CAN.. (k) Any registered qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver who sells marihuana to someone who is not allowed to use marihuana for medical purposes under this act shall have his or her registry identification card revoked and is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both, in addition to any other penalties for the distribution of marihuana. With all that been said, GW..I see it has as long as you are ASSISTING A PATIENT . You are covered..Rather patient/caregiver/ or who ever..

This is about MM not collecting food, not cleaning a highway

This is about getting our true message out that we are a compassionate community helping to educate others.

I have been working as an advocate locally for our community for 3.5 years

the greedy drug dealers really set us back but now it is time to Be what we claim to be.

Help us in Big Rapids

Edited by beourbud

where is the support for the community

Help us In Big Rapids

Lets show them what an asset a TRUE Compasion Center can be to THE community.

I can establish a Pure Michigan Compasion Center in the Heart of this Great State.

We can Lead our Community to be acknowledge, respected and appreciated

Big Rapids is the place to start.

be our bud

Edited by beourbud

This is about getting our true message out that we are a compasionate community helping to educate others.

Man you have a lot to learn about influencing people and earning their attention to your message. There is a lot of raising money for a fire truck, cleaning a highway, and handing out food in the medical marijuana community. One way to overcome stereotypes, like they are lazy, care only about their next buzz, etc. It is a powerful message to see a true patient with a walker picking up paper on the side of the highway. Thousands of true messages an hour, to people all over the state.

Tell you what, why don't you chat with Annie, differing politics aside, they put 15 people together for a last second rally in lansing and hold a well attended meeting every two weeks. She will give you good guidance.

Dr. Bob

This is about getting our true message out that we are a compasionate community helping to educate others.

I have been woking as an advocate for our commmunity for 3.5 years

the greedy drug dealers really set us back but now it is time to Be what we claim to be.

Help us in Big Rapids

You realize you're just babbling now don't you?

You said, "Lets show them what an asset a TRUE Compasion Center can be to a community." A rally in your community isn't going to show the community that your compassion center is an asset. That can only be proved over time with hard work and dedication.

Furthermore, the reality of the situation is that you aren't going to get 5000 people to show up in a small town that is hours from the nearest large population center. What was the most that ever converged on the capitol for a mm rally? Maybe 1000 if you count liberally? Lansing is centrally located to the major population centers in Michigan. An hour from Flint, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor. Maybe 90 minutes from Saginaw and the Detroit Metro area.

Imagine the impact that it would have if one half of the state's pts and cgs converged on Lansing. Pretty big impact huh? Yes, but it isn't reality. So let's work in reality. If you want a lot of people to show up in Big Rapids you better have a goal of what you want to accomplish and a very organized means to reach that goal.

Give people a reason to go there. Start planning it with your locals. Follow the guidelines Dr Bob set out above. Then get everyone else invovled.

why in the world would you think i was from joe? lol...now that is unreal

i am offering an opportunity to showcase a Pure Mich CC

Lets raise our banner and show support in the most conservative part of the state.

Lets make a stand...Lets be seen and heard.

This is the time...

Big Rapids can be the Michigan Spring

Be our bud

Lets unify to show the State we are ready to Lead the Nation in MM

Edited by beourbud

Well I think the lack of concern for the messaging logistics is what is the problem here. You could have had ALL patients speaking and that isn't what conveys the message. I would bet that NO reporter stuck around to hear all of the patients speak and I would further bet that any members of the general public didn't either. I think saying that all who spoke were patients is tantamount to saying, "we all held 3x5 index cards professing our protests to the senate vote." The point is that the message that is taken from the protest isn't all in what the speakers say. Think about it, 99% of the messaging that comes out of a protest is all done by the media.

Knowing that the media will be covering the protest one must then think like a reporter. What does a reporter do? They use their 5 senses to gather info on a story. They walk up, see the signs and whatever the attendance count is that day. They get a photo of what they see. That photo conveys what message? Well here it showed people advocating legalization. Then they probably take a listen for a few minutes and jot some notes down of some significant points. Doing so they come up with a few complaints. In this case it was the physician panel and the pictures on cards.

Then they interview the protest organizer. It is at that point that the organizer should have prepared talking points. You stick to those talking points to get your message across. Just like the media says, the presidential candidates don't answer the questions they are asked at debates, rather they answer the question that they wanted asked. That's what the leader should have done here. Simple stuff and what I would call protest planning 101. The leader should have been prepared with bullet points and highlight the most compelling reasons the senate shouldn't vote yes.

Instead there was a meandering path taken down the "we're mad at the COA for the MCQueen ruling" road. Why? How does that help the protest? How does that convince the reader that the senate shouldn't vote yes? It doesn't. It sounds more like an uncontrolled complain session than a leader trying to get his protest's message across. It gives the reporter too much inane content to choose from when picking a quote for his story. As a leader in that position you have a goal, right? the goal of your protest is to make the public see an injustice that will occur if the senate votes yes. So you tailor your content in such a manner that the reporter has only significant issue quotes to choose from. Keep the interview SHORT and get your key message across then stfu. The leader didn't do that apparently. Why? Because he is incompetent. That incompetence is the exact reason why people didn't want to attend. They knew the protest would do more harm than good and that published article proves them correct.

Lastly, you asked how I am telling people the seante isn't doing us any favors. Well, for starters, I'm not engaging in a protest that does more harm than good once readers read the article and see the legalization signs.

As always Cav, succinct and spot on...

I have nothing more to add....