Medical Marijuana Backers Protest Proposed Michigan Legislation

I can establish a Pure Michigan Compasion Center in the Heart of this Great State.

We can Lead our Community to be acknowledge, respected and appreciated

Big Rapids is the place to start.

be our bud Big Rapids is a good spot..We could also do one at same time in MT.Pleasant..Get the college kids envolved.. With 2 going on same time..Would get some press..Be kind of nice to see what the 2 different press has to say about the samething..just my opion.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are good leaders here, what we are in short supply of is folks willing to listen.

i dont see any leaders here..just a bunch of conflict over who can tinkle the farthest.dr bob you keep opening your mouth about what is right its time for you to put up or shut up everything out of your mouth is negative.why dont you do certs for a month and donate the money .theres a whole lot of talk on this site and no action.its clear to see who on this site wants these bills to pass its all about the money

i dont see any leaders here..just a bunch of conflict over who can tinkle the farthest.dr bob you keep opening your mouth about what is right its time for you to put up or shut up everything out of your mouth is negative.why dont you do certs for a month and donate the money .theres a whole lot of talk on this site and no action.its clear to see who on this site wants these bills to pass its all about the money

well first i don't want any change to the MMMA

but on the MMMA radio show it was said that one of the Bills if passed you would be able to use your card in court so i do want that one to pass

Please, don't feed the trolls.

Less than 33 post, most just babbles, obviously can't answer Dr. Bob's questions, please don't feed the trolls.

please also consider that 33 post can be a pt in need of help. as captain obvious made it so obvious hes being a troll with hundreds of post....I wont look thru them all but there's a least a few that are just babble.imagine someone didn't answer dr bob....maybe you dont know about dr bob, maybe your unaware that a great many people consider him to be something less than a troll. this site would seem so much more valid if you guys didnt all fawn over the "doctor" as if he knows what hes saying....hes not a pt hes not a cg, im not real sure he is a doctor....hes got some interesting opinions....but so does that guy sleeping in the gutter that thinks hes Jesus. just stop basing your reality on what"doctor" bob says.....better yet stop talking down to well meaning people for the sake of "dr" bob.

please also consider that 33 post can be a pt in need of help. as captain obvious made it so obvious hes being a troll with hundreds of post....I wont look thru them all but there's a least a few that are just babble.imagine someone didn't answer dr bob....maybe you dont know about dr bob, maybe your unaware that a great many people consider him to be something less than a troll. this site would seem so much more valid if you guys didnt all fawn over the "doctor" as if he knows what hes saying....hes not a pt hes not a cg, im not real sure he is a doctor....hes got some interesting opinions....but so does that guy sleeping in the gutter that thinks hes Jesus. just stop basing your reality on what"doctor" bob says.....better yet stop talking down to well meaning people for the sake of "dr" bob.

The fact that he isn't a pt or a cg is all the more reason why people should be glad he is here. How many professionals do you know that have gone to bat in public for this movement? He regularly contributes interviews and editorials to the media. He has done selfless work on behalf of this movement.

Before you jump on the "he's in it for the money" train maybe you should consider that an internist like himself could be doing very well for themselves if they settled down in a stuffy office and took average patients. What he charges for certs is right in line with a typical office visit. Michigan has a shortage of docs and he would have no trouble making just as much, if not more, money if he settled down. Plus it would cut down on his travel hours. My 11 year old just went to the doctor a month ago for a yearly check up. They did the usual vitals, hemoglobin finger prick, height/weight, 2 vaccines, etc. I just got the bill a few days ago and it was almost $500 for about a 15 minute visit with a nurse practitioner, not even the doctor! Luckily for me insurance picked most of that up but the point is I'm tired of the same old cain-style rubbish about people "getting rich off patients." Exercise some sensibilities...

Lastly, I would point out that Dr Bob has come out in favor of legalization. How is it that a Dr would come out in favor of that if he needs pt money to "get rich?" If the legalization push wins then, guess what, Dr Bob will get $0 from pts. Your same old cain-style nonsense doesn't work here anymore because that man's death grip can no longer control content on this site.

If you don't like it here you really should go hang out with your man on whatever site he is stealing or destroying or stinking up at the moment. While you're at it ask him where the secret "michiganrepresentative" went! :lolu:

Edited by CaveatLector

I wouldn't take the "advice" of too many on this board. It is hard to decide who actually is just expressing an opinion or who really knows squat. Most of what someone writes has so much BS mixed in or they are telling someone off that the message is totally lost. If they were level headed without the nonsense thrown in it might be worth the read and people might take it seriously.

well first i don't want any change to the MMMA

but on the MMMA radio show it was said that one of the Bills if passed you would be able to use your card in court so i do want that one to pass

The majority agreed with the defendants that “the MMMA provides two ways in which to show legal use of marijuana for medical purposes in accordance with the act. Individuals may either register and obtain a registry identification card under § 4 or remain unregistered and, if facing criminal prosecution, be forced to assert the affirmative defense in § 8.” Id. at 10. It declined to address the prosecution’s argument that a section 8 defense was not available because the marijuana was not kept in an “enclosed, locked facility” because defendants had not raised the issue on

Normally I wouldn't bother responding to a post like that, but it came up. So here goes.

Yes, I am a doctor, an internist, and you can easily look up my license on the state website (Robert Townsend, DO, Mt. Pleasant). No complaints or history with the board, or any other board for that matter. I am a Suboxone physician. I'm trained and active in endoscopy, echocardiography and by experience am a small town internist that does everything from icu care to office to ER coverage. I'm a former paramedic, never had a malpractice case in 20 years of practice. I'm in this field because of my interest in narcotic addiction and suboxone. MMJ was a great adjunctive therapy. I am considered an expert in certifications and the bona fide dr/pt relationship by cities, lawyers, and the legislatures, not to mention some of the more active organizations in the state.

My income as an internist, due to the number of procedures I am trained to do and my work ethic, was in the top 5% of ALL internists within 2 years of graduation of residency. I've done well and now, in the second half of my career, I can do what I WANT rather than what I have to do. This is what I want to be doing, because it is developing a new field of medicine. Accordingly, I've been pretty active in the field. I spend hundreds of hours driving to and speaking at compassion clubs, I practice solid certifications (no through the mail or no doctor clinics) which will defend my patients. I could take the 'no record, no problem' approach and make more money, but then I'd be part of the problem, not the solution.

As for free certs, I give plenty, I've never turned down a deserving patient, and I collect my money after it is done, not as soon as you walk in the door like the places that are in it for a buck. I have a special 1/2 price clinic in Clare every two weeks (next week) just for those that have trouble paying for the cert. I donate money, QUIETLY, to folks in the community that are in need, and some of them might surprise you if you knew who they were.

So if you don't think it is worth your time, or that I have ulterior motives, or that I am not qualified in your opinion, don't listen. Guess what sunshine, I don't really care and wont lose any sleep over it. With your approval or not, I'll continue to fight for this community, because I've made your cause mine as well. And folks do listen to me when they want good information or have to make decisions. Or defend their client. So have yourself a great day.

Dr. Bob

Thank you Dr. Bob. I know I appreciate your dedication and long hard travels to help us all make medical marijuana be considered a viable alternative to pharmacy products.

I guess driving 2500 miles a week counts for something. But there will always be those that think it isn't enough, or simply isn't good enough. They can seek an alternative solution.

Dr. Bob

I praise all physicians in the State who are willing to help their patients as needed by recommending medical cannabis to them while maintaining a proper bona fide relationship. I fight to protect them exactly how i fight to protect patients and caregivers.

I have worked and/or spoken with many many physicians in the State who either are or are considering recommending cannabis. I'm not here to toot a horn for Dr Bob, but i will state a few facts with my experiences with Dr. Bob.

First off, no other physician has serviced the ENTIRE Upper Peninsula as thoroughly as Dr. Townsend. From one corner to the other. Even driving through a blizzard from Mt Pleasant to the west side of the Upper Peninsula just to make sure a very sick elderly lady could get her recommendation legitimately with a proper in person bona fide recommendation as quickly as possible. I assume he made no money during this likely 12+ hour journey through a blizzard. Awesome.

He does clinics in areas of the Upper Peninsula no other physicians are willing to do in person appointments at. Driving several extra hours to help 3 people who are not able to drive 4 hours roundtrip themselves. Most of the clinics in the U.P are in the major population centers(haha, "major") and are done by several very fine physicians. I do not recommend one physician over the other one as long as they are doing in person/live recommendations and maintaining a bona fide relationship. I thank each and every single physician in the entire state that does so. Dr Kenewell does clinics in the Upper Peninsula and i thank him equally for his work. Several others as well. But, noone physically goes to the furthest reaches as Dr Townsend does.

Dr. Townsend has done free certifications for several people i personally know or have helped through my compassion club. Dr Townsend has donated time and effort to speak at our club. ANd remember, we are 8 hours away from Lansing. It is a pain in the arse to get all the way up here. :-)

Dr Townsend has attempted to further the legitimization of medical cannabis as a treatment that has palliative benefits for patients. He has helped encourage more physicians to write recommendations. He has stood up for patients rights in our government and in public. He protested the horrible language the Legislature tried to pass concerning physicians and bona fide relationships. He signed on to the unity letter opposing the House bills.

Now, you can not like Dr Townsend on a personal level. Personality conflicts, different beliefs, or something of that nature. But to defame him as not being a physician or his intent to help sick people throughout the state find relief to their maladies is simply out of line.

You can not like how he posts or most of his ideas, but to say he does not want to protect patients and create a bona fide relationship that is defensible in court is a mistake.

One thing i have noticed, is yes, Dr Bob comes up with alot of ideas. He purposefully posts these ideas to get feedback before he engages in any idea. If you simply explain why it is a bad idea SENSIBLY, Dr Townsend will move on and try to come up with other ideas that may help the community.

So, there ya go.

I thank all the physicians for their hard work and believing in a generally unaccepted medical treatment that most main stream medical experts unfortunately still don't support.

Edited by Malamute

That's what I was wondering. Is that an admission that the FM is illegal?

Regardless, it doesn't paint a good picture in the closing lines of the article to say people are "forced" to do something illegal because obviously they are not forced. I think a better speaker would have said people cannot get their marijuana rather than saying they CAN get it but are doing it illegally.

And, yes, why is the dispensary issue even mentioned? I thought this was about what was currently in the Senate?

is it illegal to sell MM out of a dispensary? is it illegal to buy from a dispensary?

Excuse me but I removed your wall of text and just included your ever so modest opinion/propaganda regarding the idea of protest. Pretty heavy handed opinion for someone who isn't even a member of MM.. Heavens forbide that 150,000 caregivers and patients upset your personal friends down at the capital. We will hold every politician accountable that votes against patient rights. Trying to sway people far away from a rally or protest makes you so effective I can hardly stand it. Way to go Hayduke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Abbey,

So sorry for writing too many words, so you could not understand my point. Maybe Joe Cain can help you get your points across more clearly, because all I see is hate and frustration. The people I work with at the Capitol are not my friends or even co workers. I lobby them to have an impact on their often corrosive policies. If you could not see that I was expressing their viewpoint, well my friend, I do apologize for gearing my writing to someone with at least a seventh grade reading ability.

As for being a member, as someone else suggested I was not, let's clear that mistake up right now. I have been a paying member here since mid 2009. Have you ever paid any dues?

I am not going to start using fewer words to make my points. Probably if anything, I should use more words. You are more than willing to disagree and have a different point of view. Why don't you lay out what you have done for medical marijuana? I am sure your resume must be quite amazing considering how dismissive you are towards people like me.

Additionally I am a paying member of Cannabis Patients United.

And by the way, the Supreme Court just ruled in favor of Tim King and Alexander Kolanek... how's that for good news?

Edited by Hayduke

My favorite blurb from the Suprems on page 14

Our consideration of the availability of the affirmative defense in § 8 and the

immunity conferred under §4 is guided by the traditional principles of statutory construction. However, because the MMMA was the result of a voter initiative, our goal is to ascertain and give effect to the intent of the electorate, rather than the Legislature, as reflected in the language of the law itself.31 We must give the words of the MMMA their ordinary and plain meaning as would have been understood by the electorate.32

Central Michigan Compassion Club is a good, legit club in Mt. Pleasant. Meeting tonight at 313 W. Michigan Street, Mt. Pleasant

7:00 PM until 8:30 ish. We love involvement from all of the public. Come on in!

:skydive:

Edited by Beans

Dear Abbey,

So sorry for writing too many words, so you could not understand my point. Maybe Joe Cain can help you get your points across more clearly, because all I see is hate and frustration. The people I work with at the Capitol are not my friends or even co workers. I lobby them to have an impact on their often corrosive policies. If you could not see that I was expressing their viewpoint, well my friend, I do apologize for gearing my writing to someone with at least a seventh grade reading ability.

HeyDude-

Self Importance is a terrible thing to waste. Perhaps I can better help present more opportunities for you to shine in all your gory.

Why so defensive? Big Hug..

Beans, in this thread folks were talking about constructive ways to promote the goals of this community. Compassion clubs were discussed and one member was recommended to start one. I'm glad to hear about the one in MP.

Dr. Bob

I apologize if that was the intent

previous concern edited

Thanks

Dear Abbey,

Please speak in clear terms, and state your case. As for self importance and glory I have no idea to what you refer...

As to defensive, well since our lobbying effort has been on defense since the onset, perhaps that is an area I am skilled. If you wish to be hostile, be hostile, and I will respond in kind. If you wish to be information seeking, maybe I can assist. If you wish to be jovial, I will too.

Get it?

But when you are just a rude person, I am well skilled in those tactics as well. So the call on this is yours.

I still ask what have you done for the cause?

And you still have yet to answer....

Hay-

It is rather apparent that Abe and some of these others really have no idea with whom they are dealing. It is easy to be suspicious or dismissive of the unknown. Perhaps before they comment they might want to hold their fingers still and listen to what is being said, to get an idea of where it is coming from, before they just blindly type and assume everyone is as uninformed as they are.

Personally, I'm glad you put the time and effort you did into this community. Part of your problem is that you don't talk about what you do, so very few know about it. Those that are familiar with the workings of Lansing either know you, or can see from what you talk about that you are very intimate with the decision process. Those that do not have that understanding don't know what to look for, and thus simply don't see it.

Dr. Bob

HeyDude-

Just trying to get to know you better pale.

Go ahead and discount me because I don't place my resume on line at your behest. I've never had much direct concern regarding you until I read how far you were willing to go to covey the legislators point of view regarding public demonstration. IMO It appeared imposing!! Almost like you were working for them, but obviously I read too far into that one. I STAND CORRECTED. I think that we shall be friends afterall. maybe I can buy you lunch and you can feed me information and insults. see you soon dear duke of democracy!

hb 5681, the new Callton, Walsh bill that reschedules to 2, and sets the stage for large UP mine like grows to get a serious foothold.

33 some posts and beourbud is so knowledgable it is surprising. Shall we say welcome back...lol... Take a deep breath if you can. We are sorta all trying to do that right now. Seems that much changes and much remains the same. But keeping fighting and beeatching about that same old same old, and you will end up being well informed bystanders. I work hard every day to try and hold back the vote. Like a few here, it just is more important to me to continue to do quiet back room work, than to come to the Forums of Discontent. It is not Zap's job to make it work, though many would suggest that it is. Sorry, he is a volunteer too, and he get's to make that personal call regarding time. Agree with him or not, that is fair. But to try and just brow beat for the sake of it, is really not interesting to me or fun to watch or participate in.

Time is nigh and the wolves are inside the doors.

A rally is not going to work in regard to the current bills. Sorry. I spend long hours up there and can honestly say they are counterproductive in the eyes of staff and the Reps and Sens. It should not be that way. But it is. it is not about anyones personal opinion on whether I am right. I am telling you what I have heard weekly since the first rally. It is the opinion at the Capitol that these rallies are dumb for all groups. Like Cav mentioned, the MEA had huge rallies, 10,000 or more it seemed the day I was there. Everyone is on point, dressed appropriately. Now lets talk about that, okay? That means there is Sunday go to meeting clothes, or nice casual clothes. Bluejeans fine. Tie Die, forget about it. I wear them myself and honor their long tradition, but, it makes us look like "stoners" in the negative sense when that is the dress wear at the Capitol. Additionally, signs need to be basically approved or removed, to avoid a stupid mixed message getting through. Now is that nice? NO IT SUCKS. But guess what, it doesn't matter. And...we need to make sure the reporter doesn't see folks smoking on the steps, putting up a sign about legalization or anything off point on Medical Marijuana. Like it or not, these things matter in the press and in the eyes of the public. And the damage from earlier rallies have made the Capitol employees and staff and Reps and Sens look very very negatively on them. Sorry, it does, but it does.

It is not what ya'll perceive, it is what others perceive. If there is not basic agreement on this, well, there will never be an agreement to do anything among the groups.

CPU remains opposed to all of the bills in both the House and Senate. We are happy nothing has passed both chambers. If they ran out of time, it would be fine by us. In politics it is always best to live to fight another day (metaphorically that is), because guess what? The next session begins in January 2012 and a whole new set of people will come in and a bunch go out. That means the work is constant and we need to be able to stay on point and educate and attempt to sway legislators into viewing our favorite law as a good one, not one that needs to be gutted in favor of Large Scale Production, or anything else that would ruin it for the people in the program.

Remember Irv Rosenfeld? He is the fellow who the US govt provides cannabis to. It is ground up seeds, leaf and bud, and has low potency and is stale. Yes it works for him. But is that the way people want to go? The people from Canada who are proposing the mine grow, want to grow one strain, and control the thc levels by adding more leaf, in order to lower the thc levels. And I believe they lost their support in Canada for their project so now they have come to da UP. Seems like a very very bad deal to me personally.

So that is my take today. Let's try and be nice here. Let's see more folks volunteer to HELP on projects that are proposed by MMMA. 'cause if you're not leading or following, you really need to start...

HeyDude-

Just trying to get to know you better pale.

Go ahead and discount me because I don't place my resume on line at your behest. I've never had much direct concern regarding you until I read how far you were willing to go to covey the legislators point of view regarding public demonstration. IMO It appeared imposing!! Almost like you were working for them, but obviously I read too far into that one. I STAND CORRECTED. I think that we shall be friends afterall. maybe I can buy you lunch and you can feed me information and insults. see you soon dear duke of democracy!

So much for listening to advice about being diplomatic.

Dr. Bob