We Have A New Pope

The media is broken. I wish would could go back to the days when people wrote facts and about stuff the had knowledge of. Now every media source is no more than a Jerry Springer show with twisted factoids and an understanding of the subject that equates to an elementary school age child. They write anything that sells and do not worry about confusing things with facts and the truth.

The media is broken. I wish would could go back to the days when people wrote facts and about stuff the had knowledge of. Now every media source is no more than a Jerry Springer show with twisted factoids and an understanding of the subject that equates to an elementary school age child. They write anything that sells and do not worry about confusing things with facts and the truth.

true back in 1963

Puff, Puff, Pass this vote so there's a Pope for Easter

P p & p lol

hale mary full of grace italians came in 2nd place lol! thats what we said to our connected friends when the polish pope got in. (but we didnt say italians)

Peace

Jim

Does anyone beside me remember the election and installation of John XXIII?

Im not sure, I remember a pope john and then the next pope taking the same name, john paul? I bet the pope john you speak of was italian, boy italians I knew were peed off when pope john paul the polish one got it, I beleive that was 2 or 3 popes ago, not that im counting, Ok im happy for the catholics you got your pope in time for easter and ash wed, ect, I wish the news would just move on now, pope frankie eh!

Peace

Jim

et cum spirit 22 oh!*** Wow You got me trippin now. Think I was starting the first grade at St Gemmas that year -'58. Wasn't allowed to go to 'PublicSchool', till they gave up on me and showed me da door. That woulda been Sacred Heart Seminary -W Grand Boulevard. Spent a lotta time on that Schoolcraft bus line.

Course Gemmas is gone now an many more too. So is the house I grew up in and over half the rest of the neighborhood. I donated it to the city back in the late '70s as the value of life itself had depreciated to such a point, it became apparent it was time to abandon ship. Thank you, hello Vietnam. Yeah good times back then. Really good never ever been that good since. Started going down that following year in '63. When they whacked JFK. That was the craziest thing that had happened in my young life at the time. Course at that moment we were mostley upset be cause that was all that was on TV [b&w] for weeks. No cartoons was also unbelievable and the first time ever. We were jonesing. Seriously though their were no limits, it seemed. 0 We had allredy been to the moon. Then poof . Fri Nov 23, 1963 just after lunch the principle came in with the news.

**** By the way "et cum spirit tu tuo" Latin xLates to " And with your Spirit " -google xlater

Thinking back, I do not distinctly remember John's election, but have vague remembrances, as I was little more than a toddler. But Vatican II was huge in my life. I too attended Catholic school, St. Patrick's in Littleton Colorado, then another St. Patrick's in Minturn, became an altar boy, and my family was very much into being good Catholics. I first learned the Mass in Latin, then Vatican II changed everything, the most obvious change being services in English. Some were resistant to the changes.

The Kennedy assassination was the beginning of the end for allegiance to higher institutions that required we keep the blinders on. The other political killings, the civil rights movement, and the war that took our families and friends for no good reason continued to reveal the evil that we live with, and that had prior been more a continuing undercurrent that many were reluctant to speak about. Misanthropes enjoyed their fun under the radar. I clearly remember Detroit and other major cities burning. The newly emerged technology of television put things out for clear viewing. The world could never be the same afterward. It was a watershed decade, rife with violence and people trying to make sense of of attitudes that obviously failed to deliver. I consider Vatican II an early precursor to the recognition of the need for change from calcified perspectives.

Edited by GregS

Hard to believe that was kinda the birth of Rock n Roll*, along with all the other flavors and variatons that evolved prior to that * . Music that is. I seem to remember that was another big change due to the ECII, besides the switch to English was the introduction of some modern instruments and upgrading the older traditional style with guitars, etc. in the Mass.

Possible that is an Ambrosian Chant v Gregorian, again on the case here, adj to some new meds, whew,... like I could tell the difference right now. or ever .hahaha

Music History

Edited by solabeirtan

Hard to believe that was kinda the birth of Rock n Roll*, along with all the other flavors and variatons that evolved prior to that * . Music that is. I seem to remember that was another big change due to the ECII, besides the switch to English was the introduction of some modern instruments and upgrading the older traditional style with guitars, etc. in the Mass.

Right you are. The Sacraments took other twists too. The effort was to diminish spiritual distance between the laity (congregants) and the church hierarchy. I always did like the mystical that was more readily apparent beforehand. I remember seminarians who gathered in rectories with something more approaching folk attitudes in their music, and enjoyed their company. Some of the change was, I think, reaction to existentialism, and was intended to open avenues for self discovery of the spiritual, rather than simply following dogma.

Possible that is an Ambrosian Chant v Gregorian, again on the case here, adj to some new meds, whew,... like I could tell the difference right now. or ever .hahaha

Music History

There are several varieties of chant, the details which are interesting, but arguably unimportant to anyone but those who perform. It is more in the listening that the power and beauty resides. I frequently play parts of a ten hour youtube piece of Gregorian Chant, mellow out with some cannabis, relax and let my mind wander, or not.

I wonder if the new Pope will do anything regarding the liberation theology that is a matter of importance in South America, and the Jesuit Order that he has been a member of, but has been put down by conservatives in the Church.

What Are Jesuits? What About Liberation Theology? A Papal Explainer.

By Abby Ohlheiser

|

Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013, at 4:05 PM

facebook-share-button.jpg

mySlateLogoBubble.png

163682857.jpg.CROP.article568-large.jpg

Pope Francis, Argentina's Jorge Mario Bergoglio, leading a mass at the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican on March 14, 2013 a day after his election

Photo by -/AFP/Getty Images

What's in store for Catholics under Pope Francis?

As Michael B. Dougherty expertly explained yesterday, the Catholic church just placed at its head a man who's previously avoided the spotlight, with no strong associations with any particular theological vision. So all those pieces going up on the first full day of Pope Francis's reign confidently speculating on what his papacy will (or won't) accomplish are relying on a few breadcrumbs to make their point.

Among those are the new pontiff's "big firsts:" he's the first Jesuit pope, and the first from Latin America, where liberation theology wields a big influence. The big question, it seems, is how either will influence his papacy. Given that Pope Francis has previously distanced himself from the more liberal associations both groups carry, the answer is: probably not very radically. But Pope Francis's verbal commitment to fighting poverty and his very PR-friendly bus love have, at least to some, sold the idea that his approach to Catholic governance will draw heavily on both. (Salon even asked today whether Francis is the "Pope of the 99 percent"). So here's a quick overview on the two terms, which will no doubt keep appearing in the pope analysis down the road.

Jesuits: The Jesuits, or the Society of Jesus, are an order of (male) priests condoned by the Vatican that tend to take a missionary and scholarly approach to Catholicism. Founded by St. Ignatius in 1534, they're now best known as the administrators of several universities (Georgetown is probably the most famous one in the United States). The Jesuits take vows of chastity, poverty, and obedience to both St. Ignatius and the pope. The Daily Beast has a pretty good explainer up on the Jesuits, which you can peruse for more details. But there's one important moment to flag in the context of Pope Francis's election.

The order ruffled the feathers of Pope John Paul II for their involvement in liberation theology in Latin America (we're getting to that). Partially because of their involvement in the liberally-associated movement, Jesuits have a reputation for being more progressive than the Catholic church's other clergy.

Liberation Theology: First off, the "liberation theology" we're talking about when we refer to South American Catholicism is distinct from the American "black liberation theology." They trace their roots back to two different commonly-cited foundational texts: James H. Cone's A Black Theology of Liberation, and Gustavo Gutiérrez's A Theology of Liberation, both written in the early '70s. The two theologies definitely share some significant similarities, namely a reading of scripture that puts the emphasis of the Christian concern with sin on social problems, rather than individual ones. In other words, Christians adhering to a liberation theology should orient themselves toward action against oppression. More symbolically, liberation theology argues that God identifies with the oppressed, and that Christianity should take upon itself the lens of the poor. Both theologies are also often derided as "Marxist" by conservatives (remember Rev. Wright?)

On the surface, this theology would seem to fit with Pope Francis. Here's the New Yorker, summing up his approach to poverty as a Catholic:

"He has made some sharp remarks about the vanity, self-infatuation, careerism, and pursuit of promotions in the Roman Curia. As Archbishop of Buenos Aires, he apparently preferred to be called Father Jorge, and was known for his preoccupation with the city’s poorest, reportedly washing and kissing the feet of patients suffering from AIDS."

But Francis has opposed liberation theology in Argentina. According to the National Catholic Reporter, this seems to have to do more with keeping Jesuits from becoming politically active or working directly in community groups—which would be a departure from the more traditional role of the order—than it does with rejecting an interpretation of Catholicism that places an emphasis on the poor. So while the emphasis on poverty could very well become a part of Francis's reign (and looks bound to), we know very little of what, if any, reforms he'd want to implement to make the church more effective at alleviating suffering from poverty. Despite his "firsts," there's little evidence so far that the new Pope has radical change in mind for the church.

So does Pope Francis still have to answer to the Superior General, or is he no longer a member of the Jesuits?

EDIT: Can the pope be in an "Order"? Not sure how that works.

That I do not know, but would be interested to find out. My gut tells me he answers to no man.