Beyond Fundraising / Wednesday Rant

What happens to the people that are now being arrested due to the Carruthers C.O.A. decision?  There have been two arrests that I was made aware of in the last few weeks, in a county next to mine.  Will they wait to rule on these cases until the Carruthers case has been ruled on at the SC level?  Will they base their ruling on the COA decision already handed down and sentence these cases?

Sadly, one of the cases is a gentlemen that bought a few brownies at a local dispensary.   As far as I understood, the man did not know of the COA decision.  Several dispensaries in the area are still selling medibles/extractions, which is not my concern.  My concern is the patient walking out with a couple brownies or candies, unaware he is doing anything "wrong", only to be arrested when on his way home. 

The patients are suffering because some people are choosing to go outside the parameters of the law, drawing undue attention to themselves.  We are the ones being "punished" for their actions. 

I understand in the case of Carruthers, the COA decision affects us ALL.  I understand why we must fight it. 

I have been biting my tongue to keep waters calm.....BUT......  If he hadn't been drawing undue attention, had jars, binders and other various containers of marijuana with PRICE stickers all over them in his vehicle  (not to mention all the equipment they mention-vacuum sealer, containers, grinders, etc)  If he had not appeared to be a mobile dispensary, would they have left him alone?   

Now we all suffer.  Now we are all asked to give hard earned money to fight for him.  (yes I do understand WHY- we are fighting for all patients)  I make my money "the old fashioned" way.  I work outside the mmj "industry" and so many here do. (or are disabled)   The ones who have the least are often expected to give the most.  The dispensaries need to be "hit up" for some funds, not just the patients here at 3MA and RIU!!  

Patients here should be applauded for ALL their efforts and not slighted because "they didn't give over $100" or more than once.  $100 for some of the patients that I have seen giving means they don't get very many groceries this month.   It's not pig fodder. 

Most of these big court decisions that affect us all so much are handed down due to dispensary operations or those trying to operate like a dispensary.  Even now - the dispensaries locally that are still selling medibles are enabling LEO with a reason to arrest patients.  I know ignorance is no excuse in a court of law......But don't we hold the producer/seller of something "not permitted" to a standard???  They can sell it, but the patient can't possess it.  In what world is that just? 

This was not meant to be a dispensary rant.  I have nothing against dispensaries doing there thing, but some of their operations are bringing these rulings and undue attention to the rest of us.  We are fighting there fight because we are forced to.  :(  :(

I know I am not going to receive much applause for this post, will even receive some ridicule.   I honestly do not care.  I do my best to fight the good fight and stand up for patients, I suppose that doesn't always equal popularity amongst the ranks.

I am NOT Carruthers - Many of us ARE NOT Carruthers.  We are PATIENTS that want to be able to utilize our medication in extract/medible form.  We are forced to support this case because it effects us all. 

Edited by northerngal

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that Carruthers could take a Section 8 defense and probably win more quickly and less expensively than going the SC route.  Same goes for any patient caught with medibles.  I don't know anything about Carruthers; maybe he is a complete toad.  But he is making the decision to take the difficult path here to help others rather than the easier path.  Does it suck that other patients - those who don't look like they operate a dispensary - will get caught up in this?  Yes.  Are they more deserving than Carruthers at the individual level?  Maybe.  But how many of these others are willing to get bounced around the system for maybe a few years rather than go Section 8 or even take a non-felony plea.  Not many sick people have an appetite for extended legal battles.  Also, keep in mind that for a different patient to run this same legal battle instead of Carruthers, it would be an extra year or so to get them to the SC. 

Right now, Carruthers is the fastest and easiest route to change for the entire community, and that is why I choose to support him.

I choose to help Carruthers instead of a patient on SSDI who lives on $600/month.  Some people choose to help the SSDI patient.  Some people send money to Africa and feed a kid for 30 cents per day and pay for basic immunizations for just a few bucks.

There will always be individuals who are more deserving.  We can't fault ourselves for looking at the big picture. 

Edited by Highlander

I agree NG

it makes my head hurt when I try to justify his actions.

if he was working for or selling to a dispensary where are they? why are they not here flipping this bill?

i am not sure about those patients to which you speak of being arrested being sentenced and held to the COA decision as it stands... 

folks need to stop all this behavior that puts the rest of us at risk without being able to defend your actions to the end.

please.

Wow!  I so want to say exactly what is on my mind, Im sure glad you started this thread n.g!  I wont speak my mind about how or why this coa ruling happened, You are so totaly right about the pts suffering for the people who break the law!  I dont have to make oil, or medibles, the budds do me just fine,  I have been making that stuff before any thing was legal and mostly for people who love the bang it gives you!

Now that im legal and Im a pt/cg with a c.g I am seeing how imortant it is to make edibles and oil, tinctures, etc, It is medicine and has been good for cancer pts as far back as well I  dont know, I just know a friend of mines mother was smoking it back in the early 80's at the advise of her cancer dr. it was not legal but she had us to get it for her! and a friend of mine who already used mj got a huge growth in his belly that was cancer, he was on chemo and all that goes with it every day for how ever long they do that treat ment, We used to take turns driving him from houghton lake to detroit for his treat ments, and the nurses there would ask him where his mj was today?  if he didnt bring his mj in with him, he was allowed to smoke it in henry fords main campus on grand blvd in detroit back in the 80's.

Yes I personaly like oil and love to watch legal people try it for their first time, it whacks ya lol!  But I dont need it, I dont have to make it and I could just turn my back on this and say phaq it, some one messed it up I can still have my buddz Im good to go, I could be selfish like the depsenses and people that are legal breaking the law!

I am so far from perfect, I believe a few people that met me last weekend know that!  I tried to explain the whole thing about saying loose lips sink ships, im hoping they understand it, do as I say not as I do kinda thing, and keep your lips zipped,  If I was to get caught breaking our law You would not hear me asking for any kind of help from any one but my partner and family, and I dont mean $$ morrel support will be just fine.

I do feel forced to help this person who got busted so our sick pt's who choose to not  or cant smoke mm can get their medicine back legaly!

N.G as far as the 2 folks you know that have gotten caught up in this coa ruling, im pretty sure they will go with the coa findings as im not even sure if it is known if carruthers is taking it to the s.c and even then I dont have a chrystal ball, but im betting it goes by the coa, but county by county is different and lets hope they are in a county that sees mm as mm no mater how it is broken down!

Thank You for the Thread and a chance to spew!

Peace

I would point out that Carruthers has been convicted of nothing in this case.  In the landmark US Sup Ct case of Gideon v Wainwright, that established the right to counsel, Clarence Gideon looked guilty on the surface too.  But does that mean you would not have supported his cause?  If he were a criminal should people have turned their backs on him? 

Gideon v. Wainwright involved a cause that people should have rallied around regardless of whether Gideon was a criminal.  It was the underlying issue that was important.  Similarly, here, the underlying issue is important.  Should we wait to support the cause until someone, "more deserving" comes along?  Maybe a 92 year old grandma possessing a few brownies?  Would we then feel better about ourselves in supporting the cause? 

You don't need to like the person, what they have done, what they wear, what music they like, what they have done in their past, or who they hang out with.  You just need to want to support the cause.  You can blame them for making bad law at the COA if you want.  You can despise the underlying actions that got them to the COA.  However, like HIghlander pointed out, who better to carry the mantle?  The 92 year old grandma or someone more capable with maybe a stronger constitution? 

This case involves an issue that affects many.  You can cut off your nose to spite your face and not support the cause or you can pony up in the hopes of making things better.  No amount of hating Carruthers is going to help here.

As for going after deep pockets to help support the cause, that has been talked about.  But it isn't going to happen by itself.  So maybe if everyone here and elsewhere approaches retail establishments that profit from med mj then we could get more money coming in.  You, Northerngal, could approach your local retailers about this.  Everyone here can do the same.  That is encouraged.  This is a grassroots effort and has to start somewhere.  It is starting here and hopefully progresses as everyone sees themselves as a soldier for the effort.

I would then also like to point out that a 92 year old grandma would have a much better chance in front of any jury then the guy selling the stuff to a dispensary.

he should not have been. 

most of us were smart enough to stop.

many still have not.

had he not been we would not be having this conversation.

I can, will and do support this as a "cause" but it is because I am forced to.

it is the way it is.

I for one feel like some things should not go unsaid. 

this is one of those things.

I would also like to add...

he may not have been convicted but due directly to his inappropriate actions the rest of us have been.  

Edited by mibrains

I would point out that Carruthers has been convicted of nothing in this case.  In the landmark US Sup Ct case of Gideon v Wainwright, that established the right to counsel, Clarence Gideon looked guilty on the surface too.  But does that mean you would not have supported his cause?  If he were a criminal should people have turned their backs on him? 

Gideon v. Wainwright involved a cause that people should have rallied around regardless of whether Gideon was a criminal.  It was the underlying issue that was important.  Similarly, here, the underlying issue is important.  Should we wait to support the cause until someone, "more deserving" comes along?  Maybe a 92 year old grandma possessing a few brownies?  Would we then feel better about ourselves in supporting the cause? 

You don't need to like the person, what they have done, what they wear, what music they like, what they have done in their past, or who they hang out with.  You just need to want to support the cause.  You can blame them for making bad law at the COA if you want.  You can despise the underlying actions that got them to the COA.  However, like HIghlander pointed out, who better to carry the mantle?  The 92 year old grandma or someone more capable with maybe a stronger constitution? 

This case involves an issue that affects many.  You can cut off your nose to spite your face and not support the cause or you can pony up in the hopes of making things better.  No amount of hating Carruthers is going to help here.

As for going after deep pockets to help support the cause, that has been talked about.  But it isn't going to happen by itself.  So maybe if everyone here and elsewhere approaches retail establishments that profit from med mj then we could get more money coming in.  You, Northerngal, could approach your local retailers about this.  Everyone here can do the same.  That is encouraged.  This is a grassroots effort and has to start somewhere.  It is starting here and hopefully progresses as everyone sees themselves as a soldier for the effort.

I agree that the cause needs to be supported.  I never indicated that a "more deserving" patient may come along.  I do not hate Carruthers, I try not to let "hate" corrupt my existence. 

We have all been dealt the cards, we shall play them.  Whether we like it or not.

YOU seem to be part of the issue I speak of Caveat.  Don't get me wrong, I commend you stepping up to help get this done.  Volunteering your time and energy, not to mention your bank account to help see this through is very compassionate.

BUT...... 

Have you ever heard the saying "You get more bee's with honey" - You come off as a pompous "donkey butt" sometimes and try to make others feel inferior!   Although I do not always agree with you, I have always respected you.  Telling someone to do something/that they should do something....not really the way to get things done.  Making them aware and allowing them/asking them to help, gets MUCH farther. 

The way you have presented this here......makes someone like me NOT want to help. You make it sound like people aren't doing enough/should be doing more/have to do this.  Most of us feel obligated to help as this hurts US and the people we care about.  (PATIENTS)

Attitude goes far in this community.

As for

"You can cut off your nose to spite your face and not support the cause or you can pony up in the hopes of making things better."

I received 2 calls from dispensary owners yesterday and brought the issue up with each.  I was asked to provide information so they could help guide people on how to donate.  I will follow up with them with flyers guiding them to the Paypal fund.   My personal pockets are already stretched beyond the max at the moment, I spent more out of my own pocket on the "no agenda's get together" than what has been raised in this case thus far.  I also have a club building that is in need of some very necessary repairs, if we are to keep our CC functioning.  Those are the ways I contribute to this community.  If that isn't enough, I do not know what to tell you.   I allowed for funds to be gathered at our event and I will do my part in the ways I mentioned above.  

I do believe in "innocent until proven guilty"- But some facts are OBVIOUS! 

Noted again:  I DO support taking this case to the S.C., whether I support Mr. Carruther's actions or not.  - it impacts many people. 

Edited by northerngal

I would then also like to point out that a 92 year old grandma would have a much better chance in front of any jury then the guy selling the stuff to a dispensary.

he may not have been convicted but due directly to his inappropriate actions the rest of us have been.  

What does the jury have to do with the price of tea in China?  Presumably the grandma would take it to the supreme court as well because then she gets 2 shots at winning.  Whether a jury would convict Carruthers isn't an issue in this case.

Secondly, it is naïve to suggest that, but for the Carruthers case, things would have remained static in this area.  The issue of weight in regard to edibles has always been discussed here and elsewhere.  It was only a matter of time before someone stepped up and challenged. 

But we aren't talking about who looks better in front of a jury.  There is no jury at the supreme court. We are talking about who has the strength to get through a 4+ year court battle.  Smart money is on the "tough guy" and not a weak grandma.

Honey didn't help King or Redden.  Those were two good chances to affect case law that this community failed on.  We failed King and Redden by not stepping up and supporting them.  I don't recall anyone beating a fundraising drum for those guys.  So maybe it takes a different approach than what didn't work before? 

The way you have presented this here......makes someone like me NOT want to help. You make it sound like people aren't doing enough/should be doing more/have to do this.  Most of us feel obligated to help as this hurts US and the people we care about.  (PATIENTS)

Attitude goes far in this community.

I didn't bring up the grandma originally..

and cav

for years you have been yelling about stay legal and not advocated for dispensaries now when someone gets popped supplying one you seem to be changing your stance?

if people were following the act as we have been preaching so adamantly here we would NOT be in this position.

if folks stuck to supplying there own 5 patients only.

and yes

I agree

I also assumed medibles would eventually end up in the COA over weight not because of its existence.

Edited by mibrains

Honey didn't help King or Redden.  Those were two good chances to affect case law that this community failed on.  We failed King and Redden by not stepping up and supporting them.  I don't recall anyone beating a fundraising drum for those guys.  So maybe it takes a different approach than what didn't work before? 

Now the blame for those cases lies on the community?? 

WE AS A COMMUNITY FAILED????? 

Entitlement runs rampant around these parts I suppose....SIGH!

Have you ever heard the saying "You get more bee's with honey" - You come off as a pompous "donkey butt" sometimes and try to make others feel inferior!   Although I do not always agree with you, I have always respected you.  Telling someone to do something/that they should do something....not really the way to get things done.  Making them aware and allowing them/asking them to help, gets MUCH farther. 

Try to make others feel inferior?  So now you are in my head ay?  If others feel inferior it is due to their own self esteem issues as I never TRY to make others feel inferior.

Secondly, how have I presented this that puts it in a negative light?  I make people think they aren't doing enough?  How is that?  Maybe you should specifically point that out so I can change that.  I don't, however, see me as doing that.  I ask and beg people to help.  I encourage it.  I ask people to give what they can.  If you can only give $1 then good for you.  If you can only give a bump of the thread then good for you.  I have NOT insinuated that anyone is not doing enough.  When I ask for help I am not speaking to one single person.  I think you need to read the posts in the spirit in which they are intended and not as if they are directed only to you or to some singular person.

Thirdly, you should peruse my posts on this site.  I have ALWAYS encouraged a conservative approach to this law.  If Carruthers were in circuit court I would probably be the one saying that he pushed the envelope too far.  However, the issue is much larger now and my berating him will not help.  So I support him.

Lastly, the only reason I took the initiative to tackle this issue is because no one else stepped up and it needs to be done.  If I am too brash for you, or some, and if you think that hurts the cause then I will gladly pass the baton to you or someone else.  Just say the word.  I will step aside and someone else can manage the fund.  I have ZERO problem with that.  So if someone wants to come forward I will transition this.  Any sweet talkers in the crowd with finesse?  Step right up.

and cav

for years you have been yelling about stay legal and not advocated for dispensaries now when someone gets popped supplying one you seem to be changing your stance?

if people were following the act as we have been preaching so adamantly here we would NOT be in this position.

Thirdly, you should peruse my posts on this site.  I have ALWAYS encouraged a conservative approach to this law.  If Carruthers were in circuit court I would probably be the one saying that he pushed the envelope too far.  However, the issue is much larger now and my berating him will not help.  So I support him.

You need to stop confusing the issues Mibrains.  If this case were not in appeals then it could not affect the rest of Michigan.  In that case I would maybe bang the, "you're an idiot for pushing the envelope" drum.  My opinion of the underlying actions is not being allowed to cloud my judgment on the issue at hand.  Apparently it IS clouding yours. 

Separate this in your mind Mibrains.  Should I stand idly by and let an issue that affects tons of people just run its course since I don't agree with what got the defendant to this point?  I do not get that line of thinking.  It is illogical.

Similarly, should I say Gideon got what he deserved since he was popped for burglary?  Does that mean he had no right to counsel?  The fact that I think Gideon has a right to counsel has nothing to do with the underlying facts that got him to the point where he needed counsel.  Does it mean I support burglary since I support Gideon's right to counsel?  Give me a freaking break Mibrains.

Try to make others feel inferior?  So now you are in my head ay?  If others feel inferior it is due to their own self esteem issues as I never TRY to make others feel inferior.

Secondly, how have I presented this that puts it in a negative light?  I make people think they aren't doing enough?  How is that?  Maybe you should specifically point that out so I can change that.  I don't, however, see me as doing that.  I ask and beg people to help.  I encourage it.  I ask people to give what they can.  If you can only give $1 then good for you.  If you can only give a bump of the thread then good for you.  I have NOT insinuated that anyone is not doing enough.  When I ask for help I am not speaking to one single person.  I think you need to read the posts in the spirit in which they are intended and not as if they are directed only to you or to some singular person.

Lastly, the only reason I took the initiative to tackle this issue is because no one else stepped up and it needs to be done.  If I am too brash for you, or some, and if you think that hurts the cause then I will gladly pass the baton to you or someone else.  Just say the word.  I will step aside and someone else can manage the fund.  I have ZERO problem with that.  So if someone wants to come forward I will transition this.  Any sweet talkers in the crowd with finesse?  Step right up.

I commended you for "taking the baton" - I was not criticizing you for that AT ALL.  I would have never picked up the baton nor accepted it, if it were passed.  That is not my "arena", nor do I beg well.  I couldn't pitch a sale if it were handed to me.  As you have done, I step up and get things done myself.  I have to have the fire/passion for something to do it properly though.  This situation doesn't hold that spark for me.   

Thank you for doing this, I really do appreciate it, we all do.  I apologize if I misconstrued your posts and you weren't talking down to people.  You are a very hard person to read, perhaps you are misunderstood more often than naught?   

Edited by northerngal

You are a very hard person to read, perhaps you are misunderstood more often than naught?  I am not the only one to have discussed this though, so to attempt to turn it all on me and suggest I feel like I am not doing enough is completely off base.  I am simply a patient, I have battled auto immune disease all my life, I have worked for everything I have, I am proud of what I have accomplished in my short time here on earth.   I am far from ashamed of my compassion in this community or anywhere in my life.  I must be a hard person to understand as well.

I am not turning anything around on you at all.  I am defending myself.  I never once indicated that you are not doing enough.  Where are you getting that???   Seriously, where???

As for the fundraising, this is not my forte either.  But sometimes you have to pick up the baton and run with it if no one else does.  I am quite sure that someone else would do a much better job.  Maybe they would have fancy posters and mugs and shirts, etc.  They would recruit an army to hit up every retail establishment.  They would attend every related even in the state.  Someone would do better than I am.  But they aren't.  So I did what I could.  But I still welcome anyone else to come forward and take the reigns.

Edited by CaveatLector

Now the blame for those cases lies on the community?? 

WE AS A COMMUNITY FAILED????? 

Entitlement runs rampant around these parts I suppose....SIGH!

Yes.  We failed.  Was it our OBLIGATION to deal with these cases? - NO.

But it would have been to our benefit.  And we didn't make it happen.  We allowed under-represented MMJ folks to run through the system.  Underrepresented cases result in crappy case law.  Direct the blame and obligation where you like, but there is no dispute that a well-funded appeal is MORE likely to get us where we need to be than a patient doing his best on his own.

So we failed to seize the opportunity to make case law in our favor.

This isn't about Carruthers.  This is about case law.  Carruthers is just along for the ride.  Maybe he kicks puppies and doesn't deserve a break.  But that isn't the point.  If he wins, we all win.  If he fails, we all take a blow.  Love him or hate him, those are the facts.  It is up to you to decide which side of this issue you fall on.

Edited by Highlander

I am not turning anything around on you at all.  I am defending myself.  I never once indicated that you are not doing enough.  Where are you getting that???   Seriously, where???

As for the fundraising, this is not my forte either.  But sometimes you have to pick up the baton and run with it if no one else does.  I am quite sure that someone else would do a much better job.  Maybe they would have fancy posters and mugs and shirts, etc.  They would recruit an army to hit up every retail establishment.  They would attend every related even in the state.  Someone would do better than I am.  But they aren't.  So I did what I could.  But I still welcome anyone else to come forward and take the reigns.

Done.  I got it.  Understood. 

The "turning this around"  was in response to a sentence I read incorrectly.  My apologies.  I will correct that in my post. 

This post was never about you Caveat, nor was it meant to be.  I am sorry if I misunderstood your "begging" and encouragement.  I can admit when I am wrong.   I do read your posts quite often and know the views you put forth here.  I respect your position and often agree.  I do find you very bitter at times and straightforward to the point of being rude, so I often look for that in your posts....I think I applied it this time and may have misunderstood your approach.  Again, My apologies.

Your win Counselor! 

I will say this........ I have had it with people blaming the patients and caregivers for the system making ridiculous and unjust rulings against our law....... BLAME the court, leo and prosecutors for not honoring the law. Blame them for making sheit up and leaving out the parts of our law that does not fit their agenda. So many times I have seen someone arrested and people around here saying stuff like they should have stayed underground or they should have not drawn attention to themselves and that by doing so they are hurting us all.... Blah Blah Blah.......   Maybe some people look at you and say what you do are hurting us Blah Blah Blah.....The fact is they system and politicians do not like us. They do not like marijuana. It has very little to do with things they are seeing and more to do with the way they have ALWAYS felt about us. News flash THEY DO NO LIKE THIS LAW OR US........... They are using excuses. I know I know well we shouldnt be giving them excuses but the fact of the matter is they will make an excuse out of even the most compliant situation if they have to.  This blaming the people who are getting these twisted unjust ruling against them has to stop. WE MUST STAND TOGETHER.......

I will say this........ I have had it with people blaming the patients and caregivers for the system making ridiculous and unjust rulings against our law....... BLAME the court, leo and prosecutors for not honoring the law. Blame them for making sheit up and leaving out the parts of our law that does not fit their agenda. So many times I have seen someone arrested and people around here saying stuff like they should have stayed underground or they should have not drawn attention to themselves and that by doing so they are hurting us all.... Blah Blah Blah.......   Maybe some people look at you and say what you do are hurting us Blah Blah Blah.....The fact is they system and politicians do not like us. They do not like marijuana. It has very little to do with things they are seeing and more to do with the way they have ALWAYS felt about us. News flash THEY DO NO LIKE THIS LAW OR US........... They are using excuses. I know I know well we shouldnt be giving them excuses but the fact of the matter is they will make an excuse out of even the most compliant situation if they have to.  This blaming the people who are getting these twisted unjust ruling against them has to stop. WE MUST STAND TOGETHER.......

Do you honestly think that THIS is what the voters intended??  SERIOUSLY? 

I do not know every voters intentions, but I guarantee they didn't intend for everyone to do as they see fit?  To interpret the medical law to mean full legalization.  They didn't intend for this to be a three ring free for all.   I also believe they didn't intend for patients following the law to be arrested.

Most voters are still confused on what they voted on.  :(  :(

Edited by northerngal

.  I respect your position and often agree.  I do find you very bitter at times and straightforward to the point of being rude, so I often look for that in your posts....I think I applied it this time and may have misunderstood your approach.  Again, My apologies.

Your win Counselor! 

Bitter?  No.  Nothing to be bitter about.  Brash?  Guilty!  I suppose that is my personality.  I suppose I do not sugarcoat things.  I tell it like it is and sometimes that comes off as rude. 

As for winning--no, I don't want to win.  So YOU win!!!!  ;)

There are two types of cases that really need to be supported.

One is the case of the poster child for MMJ in this state that did everything right but under the current interpretation of the law was wronged.

The other is the principle case where a clear, and uncalled for restriction was ruled and must be appealed.

Too often the case that makes the law is very marginal.  The Koon case comes to mind.  This guy was NOT the one we really wanted leading the charge for patients or to hold up as a 'typical' marijuana patient, but the principle was important to fight for and we won.

But this is a two edge sword.  Sometimes cases are brought based on the interest of one individual at the expense of the community at large.  There are some questions that really shouldn't be asked because if they are ruled against us, we lose too much.  We had a good COA decision in Green- patients could help each other, but the issue was forced in another case in the SC, and in the course of ruling against it, we lost Green.  We need to know when to quit while we are ahead.

Dr. Bob

One final bit.  Sometimes the keys to freedom are found in the dirtiest of hands.  Think about that.

Edited by Dr. Bob