Second Medical Marijuana Grow Facility Slated To Open In Ypsilanti

Ypsilanti will soon have a second medical marijuana grow facility, after a new owner revived plans that were previously submitted by a different proprietor.

City Planner Teresa Gillotti said the project, at 834 Railroad St. east of Leforge, first came before the planning commission in December 2012, where it was tabled due to sidewalk, landscaping, and parking deficiencies, as well as to allow time to pursue a conservation easement at the rear of the property.

The co-owner of Ann Arbor's People's Choice Alternative Medicine dispensary,Daryl Mynes, submitted the initial site plan last year.

The project was then approved by the commission in early 2013, but the applicant was unable to fulfill the required conditions, and withdrew the application prior to final approval.

The city now has a new applicant, Mo Chammout, for the same use at the same address.

One “bay” of a three-bay industrial building would be used, which currently houses other businesses. Chammout would be leasing a portion of the 0.9 acre property.

According to city records, the building is owned by TMS Properties, KKC. The property is valued at $72,500, with a market value nearly double that.

The site plan and special use approval is only be part of a larger process, Chammout must go through to open a growth facility.

Chammout has to obtain a medical marijuana license and has to acquire that before he opens the facility.

If the facility were to open, it would be the second in the city.

Green Vitality Remedies, at 576 S. Mansfield, recently was approved in July by the commission to expand into a previously unused portion of the building. Green's initial special use permit and site plan approval were granted in August of 2011. Green added 3,600 square feet to its facility.

In August, the city approved a cap on medical marijuana grow facilities and dispensaries. The cap will only allow for one more grow facility to open within city limits.

What really amazes me about these "agreements" between a city and a MM grower is that they are worth zilch when it comes to federal involvement. It is almost like the city is saying "We don't care if you do this, but the Federal Government does and they will likely show their disapproval by putting you away for a long stretch".

People who take on this responsibility are either really brave or really ignorant. It has to be bravery because everyone is aware of the potential consequences of poking the Feds in the eye.

Whether they are brave or foolish seems clear given the recent history of the Michigan MMA related court cases.

There is one unknowable still to be played out however.

To this point juries have sided with the arrest and punishment industry prohibitionists.

But the demographics are changing rapidly and finding twelve citizens willing to convict brave or foolish cannabis entrepreneurs in locales like Washtenaw County may prove more elusive in the future.

In the end it will be changing public perceptions that will effect changes politicians of both parties seem reluctant to embrace.

Or the high cost of continuing a failed war on a plant.

.....and lawyers line up to help start up the biz, then defend the biz, then defend the biz owners,  then close the biz. Many gain approval from city officials, the local police, sheriffs, yet, when its bust time, all those same people are right there serving warrants, and assisting in the raids.

Seems like a racket to me, to weed out the ones who actually have the wherewithal to open up an illegal operation in the first place. The same officials sit around and drink martinis with the judges and lawyers, all the while maybe chuckling at the recent shut down they were part of.   If you think about it, the places become a mecca of information that proves to be very useful in busts. IRS is usually able to levy big fines and taxes immediately, and all will now know exactly where the cannabis is coming from, who is growing it, and who is selling it to the dispensary, often ending in multiple visits at multiple addresses.

"Sure, go ahead and break the laws, heres a good attorney to convince you its ok, and even a good idea. We wont raid you, until we decide to."

spelling edit-form-from-typographical dyslexia?

What really amazes me about these "agreements" between a city and a MM grower is that they are worth zilch when it comes to federal involvement. It is almost like the city is saying "We don't care if you do this, but the Federal Government does and they will likely show their disapproval by putting you away for a long stretch".

People who take on this responsibility are either really brave or really ignorant. It has to be bravery because everyone is aware of the potential consequences of poking the Feds in the eye.

Edited by grassmatch

It has been said that at least 14 other states will 'legalize MJ for recreational and medical purposes' within the next 5 years.

The federal government is going to have to change its position on the uses of cannabis'... they will no other choice.

But until the feds do change the law at the national level it will still be a risky situation even though the DOJ has said they will let states enact MJ laws that protect children and so on.

It ain't over yet folks!

The federal government has participated in the most recent dispensary shut downs. What are we to think of this ?  I understand the feds say they'll leave us alone if we're following our state laws. Dispensaries clearly do not follow state law in MI. I believe the Feds will continue their attack, right to the midnight hour.

Whether they are brave or foolish seems clear given the recent history of the Michigan MMA related court cases.

There is one unknowable still to be played out however.

To this point juries have sided with the arrest and punishment industry prohibitionists.

But the demographics are changing rapidly and finding twelve citizens willing to convict brave or foolish cannabis entrepreneurs in locales like Washtenaw County may prove more elusive in the future.

In the end it will be changing public perceptions that will effect changes politicians of both parties seem reluctant to embrace.

Or the high cost of continuing a failed war on a plant.

I am sorry but i can't seam to find any Court case where twelve Jurors have been able to here a Cannabis Court case here in Michigan

if you know of one please post a link

Thank you

The federal government has participated in the most recent dispensary shut downs. What are we to think of this ?  I understand the feds say they'll leave us alone if we're following our state laws. Dispensaries clearly do not follow state law in MI. I believe the Feds will continue their attack, right to the midnight hour.

I agree

But the Feds know where they are growing  and selling Cannabis because the city and the Lawyers have given them the OK to do so 

that's is exactly my point, glad you agree. the feds are not in the dark, these are the same people that enacted laws to give a marijuana grower the death penalty !  like a capital crime!  they are zealous in their terroristic approach in this climate, and its scary. One must wonder of the secrets that cannabis and its prohibition keep.

I agree

But the Feds know where they are growing  and selling Cannabis because the city and the Lawyers have given them the OK to do so 

I've seen juries totally duped by the court order of "must find them guilty if you believe the evidence presented" ruse.  I'm sure, with juries made up of people form all walks, while following the directions of the court, will easily find guilt in their trials.

Can someone show me an mmmp compliant patient/caregiver denied a jury trial in our state ?

I've seen juries totally duped by the court order of "must find them guilty if you believe the evidence presented" ruse.  I'm sure, with juries made up of people form all walks, while following the directions of the court, will easily find guilt in their trials.

Can someone show me an mmmp compliant patient/caregiver denied a jury trial in our state ?

I can say it's a hard Question to answer 

IMHO our case

I read a bit of your arrest and believe nobody should be arrested for growing a couple dozen plants or using cannabis privately. I remember "pre planting" also, as do many of us. "my buddy" who also pre planted did so on the sly, knowing he was definitely breaking the law, but wanted a jump start on the grow for silly reasons, and definitely was not trying to "define new laws" for us.   no judgments here man, and I empathize, but I just don't know the details, except for the one mentioned.

when soaking your seeds, doc note or not in hand, did you intend to go to court and define laws, or just weighed the risks, and proceeded to continue growing without a mailed application? I sorry for beating a dead horse in the forum I suspect, but clarification is good.

How did anybody know of your garden, its location, or your marijuana use in the first place?

Did you have copies of your application and doc note in the home for the raiders ?

I hate that you and yours had to go through this, but I'm trying to establish "compliancy" with your facts, excuse me if I seem accusatory, I am not intending that.

I've personally seen the dtf  rubbing their billy club between the naked butt cheeks of a man during a 17 grams of marijuana raid, that they thought would yield much more evidently. It was my butt, and I was sleeping over at a chicks house, jumped out of bed when they were coming up the stairs, had no idea of who it was. there was another naked couple in the downstairs bedroom and they laid us all on the floor together, and made lewd comments about sexual activity involving my butt for some reason. the girls were not allowed to put clothes on for over 2 hours like us, as they laughed and stared breaking every breakable item in the house. all for a small cigar box with stems and seeds left over..... she was all out, but we had lots of beer....it was about midnite when this happened, in the eighties.  talk about embarrassing !

I can say it's a hard Question to answer 

IMHO our case

How did anybody know of your garden, its location, or your marijuana use in the first place? they did a trash pull but we never saw any cannabis from the pull even after almost 5 years

Did you have copies of your application and doc note in the home for the raiders ? yes we both did

a couple dozen plants ? less then that

IMHO we where set-up the police even called the place  where  we got citified to make sure we had our Rec;

Fricken garbage pickers !! I wonder why they would target YOU and your household?  I've seen them picking trash, but they don't pick everyone's on the block....well, some blocks I suppose.

I think maybe someone you know may have done the set up, and the garbage picking was the evidence they needed to corroborate the report. scary stuff man, I'm glad you're a survivor. Your case was ultimately dismissed right? on what grounds?