The Future Looks Bleak?

So every day I read more and more about dispensaries, and government this and that.. LEOs hate this law due to lack of funding stemming from Marijuana arrests..

I was theorizing this morning with a buddy of mine..

I can see it now, the Government run dispensaries will cancel out our rights to grow our own, which in turn will put a halt to the "legal home grow" That will satisfy LEO cause they will now be able to raid each suspected home that has a grow and seize all the equipment and still get to charge you with a cannabis related charge. seems to be looking up for the big guys imo..

They get to corner the MM market, and seeing as it wont be legal to grow your own anymore they know 40-60% of people have involvement in growing they have a huge new group of Marijuana users to target to hit their quota.. I'm not excited about the future at all

All this belly aching about your precious dispensaries is going to ruin everything for alot of people that just want to get by and not have to go through another fiasco run by the government the same people that have no idea wtf is good or bad.. its all about the money $$

Is it REALLLLLLY that hard to find some herb, the stuff thats been around since the beginning of freaking time?? Can't they setup a web based program that makes it easy like a click of the button kind of stuff for the real square/newbie. Kinda like buying insurance you have a site setup with CG's the new pt goes through finds your ad that fits what your looking for and move along????

Sorry my rant is out of frustration, I just have this nasty feeling that the police and suits will get their way.. and Marijuana arrests will be here to stay.. legal or not.

Look what is going on in Washington.  The new retailers for recreational MJ are recognizing that, due to taxes, their product will be much more expensive than medical.  So they have now gotten a bill introduced to the state legislature to tax medical MJ to bring its price up to that of recreational.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/apr/08/rivers-bill-would-tax-medical-pot/

So every day I read more and more about dispensaries, and government this and that.. LEOs hate this law due to lack of funding stemming from Marijuana arrests..

I was theorizing this morning with a buddy of mine..

I can see it now, the Government run dispensaries will cancel out our rights to grow our own, which in turn will put a halt to the "legal home grow" That will satisfy LEO cause they will now be able to raid each suspected home that has a grow and seize all the equipment and still get to charge you with a cannabis related charge. seems to be looking up for the big guys imo..

They get to corner the MM market, and seeing as it wont be legal to grow your own anymore they know 40-60% of people have involvement in growing they have a huge new group of Marijuana users to target to hit their quota.. I'm not excited about the future at all

All this belly aching about your precious dispensaries is going to ruin everything for alot of people that just want to get by and not have to go through another fiasco run by the government the same people that have no idea wtf is good or bad.. its all about the money $$

Is it REALLLLLLY that hard to find some herb, the stuff thats been around since the beginning of freaking time?? Can't they setup a web based program that makes it easy like a click of the button kind of stuff for the real square/newbie. Kinda like buying insurance you have a site setup with CG's the new pt goes through finds your ad that fits what your looking for and move along????

Sorry my rant is out of frustration, I just have this nasty feeling that the police and suits will get their way.. and Marijuana arrests will be here to stay.. legal or not.

I dont know what you did before the law, but I did alot more than im doing now, since the mm law came into effect I was one of them people who thought this is a good thing, I had been growing any how, I didnt have a plant count or a weight count I had to go by and I realy wasnt worried about leo, when you do something for most of your life, indoors and out doors you tend not to worry as much, just quit talking on these sites,and dont renew anything any longer, dont be a pt or a c.g, than you dont have any thing to worry about accept for who your big mouth tells what you are doing!!

I was way more at peace w/o leo knowing I was growing or a pt! why dont we all quit paying for the renewells or the certs and see what happens, if you were a c.g registered to the state dont grow for a while, if you were a pt dont smoke where others may smell it, just go back to how you were underground, for those pt's that never used mm before it became legal, you keep getting legal, Im willing to bet the percentage is not that high! and now you can get it from anywhere, it is the person your getting it from that needs to worry!

It realy is as easy as that, just quit renewing, quit throwing you $$$ at something that is not keeping pt or c.g's out of jail!

I know I could go right back to where I was before it became legal and can make a buck or 2.  being registered dont seem to be working to well for a few of us eh?

Just say no lmao!

Peace

Marijuana arrests should be there for those that aren't in medical need (well no one should be arrested for marijuana, but for now if your not "legal"then it is what it is).. I see even those with medical needs getting the shaft down the road even harder than we do at the present time..

How many thousands of people have devoted countless dollars and time setting up their home grows?

Now pass a bill that says you cannot grow anymore, due to the fact that there are government ran dispensaries in existence. you really think that they aren't going to bust your door down for defying the law regardless of the cost of equipment and etc..

Just looking into my crystal ball and seeing the future, and the home grows will dwindle away, those that continue regardless of new laws will spend time fighting felonies in court.. just my opinion is all..

We understand and share your frustration Trix. Right now is the time to get our thoughts to Lansing. FWIW, this is my draft in progress. It has to be submitted by noon tomorrow to ensure it will be in the committee's hands by the start of the hearing. If anyone else wants to submit written testimony it can be emailed to the Committee Clerk Angie Lake at alake@house.mi.gov

Honorable Representatives,

These are my written comments regarding the bills at issue in the House Judiciary Hearings scheduled December 5th, 2012, to wit, SB 0660, Pharmaceutical Grade Cannabis, HB 4271, Provisioning Center Act, and HB 5104, Amendments to the MMMA. I am a patient who uses the herb and have acted as caregiver for severely debilitated individuals. Many acquaintances derive substantial relief with its use that is often as efficacious as, and sometimes more so than, front line pharmaceuticals. I consider it, along with the multitude of patients, as a benign garden herb with medicinal benefit more akin to aloe than cocaine, and certainly safer than most pharmaceuticals. The literature that establishes its benign character is extensive. Harm is negligible.

On their face, the bills are largely superfluous and without arguments than cannot be readily refuted. For instance we can look at the provision in SB 0660 that would require wiz bang gamma irradiation to sterilize the stuff. Heat and fire are the best sanitizers around and are the de facto means of ingestion, either by smoking, vaporizing with heat, cooking into foodstuffs, or preparing for oral administration. We have every means to keep it safe not much differently than as I cook broccoli, and just as effectively. I will ask that the legislature be required to show past harm in not subjecting the herb to gamma irradiation or in any other matter where harm is described as a consideration. It is pretty obvious that these bills intend to more seriously restrict use by the patient community the law provides for.

Something that should be addressed is the recalcitrant abuse of the law in a failure to protect authorized users and their caregivers. Rulings adverse to medical use by the Court of Appeals have been overturned by the Supreme Court with explicit instruction to get it right. Despite that those judges continue. Reactionary commentary on the part of the bench can be found in Judge O'Connel's thirty page unsolicited take on the law in the wider view (www.annarbor.com/20100914_C295809_45_295809C.OPN.pdf). We consider that to be irresponsible and nothing at all resembling responsible jurisprudence. There are several cases that reflect the same. The legislature has authority to censure judges. I ask that you please. Attorney General Schuette has steadfastly refused to instruct law enforcement departments in the State to train personnel to recognize and enforce the law as written. His agenda, which is clearly indicated in his commentary, is transparent in that he works to rid the State of cannabis altogether, neglecting the 63% electorate that approved it for use in simple terms. For that I ask that the legislature do whatever necessary to compel him to perform his sworn duty.

We find little use for central distribution by agents of the government or in regulated commerce. The patient/caregiver model presently affords the best potential means to provide excellent quality cannabis that is safe for use. The most cursory look at any cannabis website reveals an almost obsessive degree of attention to quality and safety. Books and other extant media provide a huge volume of information regarding this. Any of us will argue that our methods and results are equal, and even superior, to those of any commercial operation, and safer in that we can avoid toxic chemicals in production of the herb.

The single simplest, and I argue effective, change in the law that would responsibly enhance access to patients is to explicitly permit any patient or caregiver to transfer cannabis to or from each other. Why the limited authorized population is prohibited from freely sharing among ourselves mystifies. Rhode Island, which law most closely resembles our own, added legislation to do that. Another option is to strike the language, “The presumption may be rebutted by evidence that conduct related to marihuana was not for the purpose of alleviating the qualifying patient's debilitating medical condition or symptoms associated with the debilitating medical condition, in accordance with this act.”, from §4(d)(2) of the MMMA. It is that text the Supreme Court keyed on to inform their decision to prohibit said transfer. I ask that you amend the act by any appropriate means to maximize our access to the herb at reasonable cost to us without that present restriction among ourselves. Moves to tax in commerce and the additional business cost necessary to operate dispensaries, provisioning centers, or pharmacies approximately double the cost. By definition we are debilitated individuals, many or most of us with serious conditions that make it difficult or impossible to work and earn. And again I ask that the legislature determine the harm, which I argue does not rise to the level of substances that require a recoupment of the cost of harm to the people or of the overblown oversight we are presently subject to. It is just not there.

I find it laughable that the legislature recently opted to give the $3.5M in the LARA program fund balance, which was overpaid by patients and caregivers to the agency in application fees, to law enforcement. That money would have been far better used used to study the issues. That study should become a high priority with the state and would provide protection for the people. We do not understand why Lansing would expect us to fund police forces to kick our doors in because they have not been properly instructed in their duty.

Edited by GregS

They get to corner the MM market, and seeing as it wont be legal to grow your own anymore they know 40-60% of people have involvement in growing they have a huge new group of Marijuana users to target to hit their quota.

Now thou art experiencing the Radiance of the Clear Light of Pure Reality.

- The Tibetan Book of the Dead

I dont know what you did before the law, but I did alot more than im doing now, since the mm law came into effect I was one of them people who thought this is a good thing, I had been growing any how, I didnt have a plant count or a weight count I had to go by and I realy wasnt worried about leo, when you do something for most of your life, indoors and out doors you tend not to worry as much, just quit talking on these sites,and dont renew anything any longer, dont be a pt or a c.g, than you dont have any thing to worry about accept for who your big mouth tells what you are doing!!

I was way more at peace w/o leo knowing I was growing or a pt! why dont we all quit paying for the renewells or the certs and see what happens, if you were a c.g registered to the state dont grow for a while, if you were a pt dont smoke where others may smell it, just go back to how you were underground, for those pt's that never used mm before it became legal, you keep getting legal, Im willing to bet the percentage is not that high! and now you can get it from anywhere, it is the person your getting it from that needs to worry!

It realy is as easy as that, just quit renewing, quit throwing you $$$ at something that is not keeping pt or c.g's out of jail!

I know I could go right back to where I was before it became legal and can make a buck or 2.  being registered dont seem to be working to well for a few of us eh?

Just say no lmao!

Peace

I can see what you'll saying Jim but they do have most people's address in the system  and the card is still better then nothing 'sometimes'

Marijuana arrests should be there for those that aren't in medical need (well no one should be arrested for marijuana, but for now if your not "legal"then it is what it is).. I see even those with medical needs getting the shaft down the road even harder than we do at the present time..

How many thousands of people have devoted countless dollars and time setting up their home grows?

Now pass a bill that says you cannot grow anymore, due to the fact that there are government ran dispensaries in existence. you really think that they aren't going to bust your door down for defying the law regardless of the cost of equipment and etc..

Just looking into my crystal ball and seeing the future, and the home grows will dwindle away, those that continue regardless of new laws will spend time fighting felonies in court.. just my opinion is all..

And it also won't be far be hided  that if you are caught growing it won't be just probation any  longer it will go back to the way it was Patients and caregivers will be doing Time in jail

Trix I cant tell ya how many times I wish I wasnt legal, but I can tell you of at least 4 times when I was glad I was, at this time I just totaly act like it is ilegal, I dont drive with it. If I dont have to lol!  I dont do it in front of people that are not doing it them selves, We are In a pretty messed up situation with this law right now, and I pretty much think the same as you, when big brother starts selling it and taxing it our home grows will be done!

Peace