Legal Question

In two years, after I finish school, I will be applying for a clinical license as social worker through the state of Michigan.  I am a former medical cardholder, however I have not renewed my card in fear that I could be denied a license if they knew my association with cannabis.  Maybe I'm being paranoid.  I'm weighing my options and wanted to get some opinions on if anyone has ran into this issue. 

In two years, after I finish school, I will be applying for a clinical license as social worker through the state of Michigan.  I am a former medical cardholder, however I have not renewed my card in fear that I could be denied a license if they knew my association with cannabis.  Maybe I'm being paranoid.  I'm weighing my options and wanted to get some opinions on if anyone has ran into this issue. 

IMO you are better off using cannabis with a card and being a licensed medical professional instead of using cannabis without a card and being a licensed medical professional.  Your employer is more likely to find out about your use (drug screens as a condition of employment, drug screen if injured on the job) than they are to find out you have a card.

currently there is no way for them to find out you have a card unless you tell them yourself.

the MMMA law says you cannot be denied a med license or fired for having a card.

the MMMA says your medical license cannot be revoked due to having an mmj card.

unfortunately, the fed courts have decided you can be fired for testing positive on a drugtest.

the next problem is that in michigan, if you are convicted of a drug crime, you will lose your medical license forever in michigan.

there was a pharmacist who was growing without a card, because he feared the licensing would cancel his pharmacy license.

then he was busted.

now his license is revoked forever.

so. if you are still using marijuana without a card... well .

make sure you have a good doctors recommendation (or even 2nd doctors reccomendation)

to ensure you qualify for sec8 defense.

i highly recommend getting a card.

but like bob says, anything could change overnight.

my advice, in order of importance.

1. get a new doc reccomendation every year.

2. get a card

In an MLive article, Jeannie Vogel, spokeswoman for the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, reinforced that there would be no reason for Buckley to worry about the Department cross-referencing the pharmacy and MMP registration databases. ”…the identity of a person with a medical marijuana card is confidential, so we would not know if they have a card when they apply for licensure,” Vogel was quoted as saying.

http://thecompassionchronicles.com/2013/07/04/pharmacist-71-with-glaucoma-loses-license-over-marijuana-misdemeanor/

please please please get a card if you are still using mmj.

So on December 4th you had an expired card, then 6 days later while deciding what to do,  you already have a new card ?

How did you accomplish this ?  fishay

Wrong choice in words.  I was APPROVED by a physician and mailed the paperwork to the State.  I still have the wait.

Edited by Italiangirlgr34