Sb783 Would Make It A Crime For Pt To Possess On Private Property

its over

Senate TV though

I got to see Denise Pollicella(sp.), Brandi Zink, Tom Lavigne and Tim Beck.

Denise did a nice job.

Brandi was fine but not specific enough on the possession issue, Tom Lavigne came across as crazy(typical).

Tim Beck came out in support of the bill and requested further restrictions on smoking to always include tobacco and marijuana so as not to discriminate between.

Obviously I didn't get to see the first 25ish minutes of the hearing.

Bill reported out of committee.

tim beck has turned on us!

the senate tv links are at the senate website

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/default.html

click the video link, it looks like this "Video / Audio / Agenda"

or you can copy and paste this into your media player:

mms://streamer.senate.michigan.gov/encodera-av

Edited by t-pain

tim beck has turned on us!

the senate tv links are at the senate website

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/default.html

click the video link, it looks like this "Video / Audio / Agenda"

or you can copy and paste this into your media player:

mms://streamer.senate.michigan.gov/encodera-av

Kudos to You T

Quite an asset to the community

Dont know who you work for but I do know they are getting their moneys worth , and then some

Keep up the Good Work

CPU is not testifying directly at this point.  We are seeking changes/opposition elsewhere than the current hearing.  -_-

i'd like it if more orgs would oppose these bad bills at every turn.

thanks for trying to get it on senatetv anyways.

does the committee put written testimony online after a couple days? i forgot if all committees do that or just a couple.

PORT HURON — A proposal in the Michigan Senate would allow landlords to prohibit tenants from smoking or growing medical marijuana, even if the tenants have a prescription for the drug.

Senate Bill 783 was introduced by Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge. The bill could affect many of the more than 155,000 medical marijuana patients across Michigan.

“We do have a problem from time to time,” Port Huron Area Landlord Association president Mike Bodeis said. “In multi-unit apartments, I’m very against people abusing

medical marijuana. It affects the whole building.”

Bodeis owns more than 40 rental properties in the Port Huron area. He said any law that provides landlords more authority to take care of their properties is generally welcome.

He doesn’t draw a hard line with medical marijuana, though, he said.

“I do have a couple of renters who have their (medical marijuana) cards, but they don’t abuse it,” Bodeis said.

He said he has a good relationship with those renters and, if the bill becomes law, he wouldn’t evict them as long as they continue to follow state law.

He said the bill would give him options. He said he doesn’t ask about medical marijuana use on rental applications, but it might be something he would consider in the future.

He said he currently would use federal law to deal with an issue involving medical marijuana.

Debbie Amsdill owns Blue Water Compassion, a medical marijuana center in Kimball Township. She said the people she works with have different opinions about the bill and

how it could affect them.

“Some people understand the landlords’ view and other people are saying, ‘Now wait a minute,’” she said. “I can see both sides, especially if someone is a caregiver and is growing in the home. There are a lot of variables.”

According to Michigan law, patients with a prescription can grow up to 12 plants for personal use. Caregivers, people who have legal permission to grow marijuana for patients,

can grow up to five plants per person in a locked facility on property they either own or rent.

“There could be nutrients, fans, humidifiers, lights ..., it can add up to a landlord,” she said.

Amsdill said one of the main concerns is a lack of caregivers for people who can’t grow the plant. She said the bill, if adopted, could cause a big decline in caregivers, and

patients would have trouble getting their medicine.

“The issue I can see is if caregivers are hindered by the law, patients will be, too,” she said.

Amsdill said another proposal, House Bill 5104, would allow patients to use marijuana-infused products, such as brownies, tea and pills.

“Those ways are really more beneficial healthwise,” Amsdill said.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20140218/NEWS01/302180018

Edited by bobandtorey

Someone here made the astute observation that the Americans With Disabilities Act might play in this instance: http://www.ada.gov/

There is also the Fair Housing Act: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/disabilities/inhousing

Both are federal laws, and then there is state law: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28ywgvyv55agcyqcidqnzwmj55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-37-1506a&highlight=persons%20with%20disabilities

The long and short of it is that we are protected from discrimination due to disability.  Both government and any private individual who provides housing are further required to afford reasonable accommodation for those with disabilities. There is no argument that many of us do not qualify as disabled. That we treat those disabilities with cannabis, which is a legal substance in our treatment, is a medical necessity. I think we can thump Jones pretty hard with this.

Is it time to air this discussion?

Edited by GregS

no, marijuana is still illegal in the state of michigan. dont matter how disabled you are. its still not legal and its still not a medicine recognized by LARA , FDA, etc.

as you can see, all we have is the MMMA. we dont get other laws to help us.

Are we not disabled? It cannabis legal for us to treat medically with as disabled individuals under the Act?

Edited by GregS

Consequently, changing state law will have the practical effect of protecting from arrest the vast majority of seriously ill people who have a medical need to use marihuana.

MMMA just protects from arrest.

its still a schedule 1 here in michigan.

the sooner we understand that, the sooner we can fix things.

And our protection from arrest when sitting in our homes would evaporate.

what an excellent debate !

I think these guys are trying to make using marijuana without a landlord approval into a criminal act. that's hogwash, and cant fly. I believe we're confusing that issue with the right of a property owner to disallow any activity agreed on the lease.

Someone here made the astute observation that the Americans With Disabilities Act might play in this instance: http://www.ada.gov/

There is also the Fair Housing Act: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/disabilities/inhousing

Both are federal laws, and then there is state law: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28ywgvyv55agcyqcidqnzwmj55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-37-1506a&highlight=persons%20with%20disabilities

The long and short of it is that we are protected from discrimination due to disability.  Both government and any private individual who provides housing are further required to afford reasonable accommodation for those with disabilities. There is no argument that many of us do not qualify as disabled. That we treat those disabilities with cannabis, which is a legal substance in our treatment, is a medical necessity. I think we can thump Jones pretty hard with this.

Is it time to air this discussion?

what an excellent debate !

I think these guys are trying to make using marijuana without a landlord approval into a criminal act. that's hogwash, and cant fly. I believe we're confusing that issue with the right of a property owner to disallow any activity agreed on the lease.

Right on. It is not a stretch to expect the ACLU to chime in. It is civil rights law. It might be better if a trained attorney were to testify in House hearings,  but I will if need be.

Edited by GregS

A reasonable accommodation is a change in rules, policies, practices, or services so that a person with a disability will have an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling unit or common space. A housing provider should do everything s/he can to assist, but s/he is not required to make changes that would fundamentally alter the program or create an undue financial and administrative burden. Reasonable accommodations may be necessary at all stages of the housing process, including application, tenancy, or to prevent eviction.

It could be argued that the smell is a public nuisance. In that event air filtration might be the reasonable accommodation allowed. Are there any other situations a property owner might lawfully object to?

Consequently, changing state law will have the practical effect of protecting from arrest the vast majority of seriously ill people who have a medical need to use marihuana.

MMMA just protects from arrest.

its still a schedule 1 here in michigan.

the sooner we understand that, the sooner we can fix things.

And i can add inn limited  amounts  to   your list

It simply doesn't apply Gregs.

Not that it shouldn't apply,... but those Federal laws do not apply in these cases.

Did you overlook the state law? 

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28ywgvyv55agcyqcidqnzwmj55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-37-1506a&highlight=persons%20with%20disabilities

I think I'll get with Korobkin.