Majority Of Mich. Voters Oppose Legalizing Recreational Marijuana Use, Poll Finds From The Detroit News: Http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140528/

A majority of Michigan voters oppose legalizing marijuana for recreational use, according to a new Detroit News/WDIV-TV poll, a result that runs counter to the trend of

cities legalizing possession of small amounts.

The poll of 600 likely voters was conducted May 20-22 by Glengariff Group of Chicago. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

“There is a sharp difference in attitudes on marijuana legalization among voters under and over the age of 40,” said pollster Richard Czuba of the Glengariff Group Inc.

“And while Democratic voters support legalization of marijuana, independents and Republican voters strongly oppose legalization.”

In the poll, 52.1 percent of Michigan voters opposed legalizing small amounts of marijuana for recreational use while 41.8 percent support it.

The poll found a “sharp difference in attitudes on marijuana legalization among voters under and over the age of 40.”

■Those who said they were “Strong Democratic” supported legalization by 53.1 percent versus 39.4 percent.

■Those who “Lean Democratic” supported the idea 50 percent versus 41.7 percent who opposed.

■“Independent” respondents supported legalization 46.3 percent to 48.2 percent

■“Lean Republican” voters supported it 40.8 percent to 53.2 percent

■Likely voters who identified as “Strong Republican” supported legalization 25.5 percent versus 70.6 percent who opposed the idea.

The strongest support was found among the age group 18-29, with 59.8 percent, while 31 percent opposed. Among those 65 and older, 28.1 percent supported the idea

while 64.5 percent opposed.

Earlier this month, a national Fairleigh Dickinson University PublicMind poll found 50 percent of Americans favor legalizing marijuana for recreational use. In 2012, an

EPIC-MRA poll indicated 65 percent of Michiganians believed personal use of marijuana should be treated as a civil infraction, the equivalent of a traffic ticket.

Medical marijuana use was approved by Michigan voters in 2008. Marijuana activists told The Detroit News in April they plan to put ballot proposals to decriminalize

casual marijuana use before voters in at least 11 Michigan cities and one county in this year's August primary or general elections.

Organizers are circulating petitions to relax penalties for casual use in Hazel Park, Oak Park, Utica, Port Huron, Lapeer, Saginaw, Mount Pleasant, East Lansing, Clare,

Onaway and Harrison. The Benzie County Commission also is being petitioned to put the issue on countywide ballots.

If the efforts are successful, prosecution for the recreational use of small amounts of marijuana on private property by people who are 21 or older would face penalties of

$25 to $50, rather than criminal penalities.

Glengariff Group conducted the poll of likely general election voters with a live operator telephone survey, with 75 percent of those surveyed interviewed by land line and

25 percent polled by cell phone.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140528/POLITICS02/305280145#ixzz336ZmPhW1

Was only fifty years ago that the then Surgeon General reported to us that it caused cancer and probably heart disease. And it wasn't the FDA or the CIA not the BBB nor the FBI.

Apparently I didn't hear him. I was only 12 then, but went on to become a smoker for over 30 yrs. Only with the aid of the patch was I able to cut them lose about 10 or 15 yrs ago. 

Here's a very interesting History of the Teabacco Industry. After reading this it becomes easy to understand how these same interests would have had a good reason for supporting anti Mj Laws.

Edited by solabeirtan

The poll of 600 likely voters was conducted May 20-22 by Glengariff Group of Chicago.

Glengariff Group conducted the poll of likely general election voters with a live operator telephone survey, with 75 percent of those surveyed interviewed by land line and 25 percent polled by cell phone.

Not a very big sampling.

Well,... it looks like a pretty conservative poll on this one.  Also, many people will not say on the phone to a stranger they support legalization etc.  We almost always gain a couple points at the polls.  Inside polls in 2008 had us at 58% for medical marijuana and we came in at 62.7% I do believe.

Also, on most polls I have seen across the board,... those who are considered "strongly republican" or "tea Party" affiliated come in at around 32-34% typically and this poll had that at 25%.  I suspect that is where the deviation is occurring in this poll. Also,.. I usually see "strong democrat" at a higher percentage. So.... Yea..

Without even looking at the full methodology, I can see where there are some non-typical areas there.  It is one poll. I suspect you could take one tomorrow and see it at 52% etc.

Well,... it looks like a pretty conservative poll on this one.  Also, many people will not say on the phone to a stranger they support legalization etc.  We almost always gain a couple points at the polls.  Inside polls in 2008 had us at 58% for medical marijuana and we came in at 62.7% I do believe.

i cant believe it won in every county. i mean, not even one loss ?

.Organizers are circulating petitions to relax penalties for casual use in Hazel Park, Oak Park, Utica, Port Huron, Lapeer, Saginaw, Mount Pleasant, East Lansing, Clare,

Onaway and Harrison. The Benzie County Commission also is being petitioned to put the issue on countywide ballots.

If the efforts are successful, prosecution for the recreational use of small amounts of marijuana on private property by people who are 21 or older would face penalties of $25 to $50, rather than criminal penalities.

This passed in Ferndale but the Chief of Police refuses to accept it and says they will enforce the state law and not the local one.

So let's bring it to the polls already and see what happens...

Why hasn't a dispensary bill gone through referendum as of yet? I would think a local rule would go a long way & people would welcome it, at least more so than a few of the politicians opposing any such effort. If it doesn't move out of the Senate committee this session (which I personally do not see), then the ballot would seem the only feasible way.

Don't feel we (the people of Michigan) have an experience base to judge a full all out legalization syste; people would have a tough time understanding what that would look like. With medical dispensaries up & running for a few years (where the sky doesn't fall & the kids turn out just fine), going full legal is much easier to wrap one's head around.