Group Forms Spontaneous ‘Human Shield’ To Block Cops Arresting Man For Pot Read More At Http://thefreethoughtproject.com/group-Forms-Spontaneous-Human

bobandtorey

I see it as similar to herd immunity.  Or as shepards and sheep. 

If 1 in 4 sheep blew up and killed the wolf each time they were targetted, teh wolves would have to find other food or die out since the odds would have them all killed off.  In herd immunity the virus dies if it enters an animal because of the immune system.

As with sheep and virus' you can't have something there all teh time to protect the herd/flock.  But if the flock/herd kicked in a little or if you threw some llama's in with the sheep, the problem wouldn't be as big as it is.

The problem when you start having people fear guns or put in hinderances to owning a firearm and they only get associated with criminals, you have a much higher number of criminals with guns rather than law abiding citizens.  Personally, yes, I think it is/should be the duty of law abiding, able bodied American citizen's to protect themselves if there is no other deterrent.  It makes for a strong nation instead of a nation of vulnerable people easily targeted as victims.

I see it as similar to herd immunity.  Or as shepards and sheep. 

If 1 in 4 sheep blew up and killed the wolf each time they were targetted, teh wolves would have to find other food or die out since the odds would have them all killed off.  In herd immunity the virus dies if it enters an animal because of the immune system.

As with sheep and virus' you can't have something there all teh time to protect the herd/flock.  But if the flock/herd kicked in a little or if you threw some llama's in with the sheep, the problem wouldn't be as big as it is.

The problem when you start having people fear guns or put in hinderances to owning a firearm and they only get associated with criminals, you have a much higher number of criminals with guns rather than law abiding citizens.  Personally, yes, I think it is/should be the duty of law abiding, able bodied American citizen's to protect themselves if there is no other deterrent.  It makes for a strong nation instead of a nation of vulnerable people easily targeted as victims.

I think you have two points appearing as one here. Many people own firearms. Far fewer have CPL's and carry on a daily basis. I perceive the dangers of the world for me are less than the dangers from LEO if I have a gun.

Do you know what the percentage chance of being shot by a stranger of a different race with an assault rifle is? You have a better chance of winning the Lucky 8 drawing using "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8" as your numbers. That's not me trying to diminish your right to carry or deride your decision to carry. It is the equation I live with in my head to justify why I don't carry.

I hear people say "Oh it's so bad out there today compared to the past..." Yeah, you mean back when you needed sword, shield and armor to leave your house? Or when you might get hamstrung because you're an immigrant trying to find a job on the docks? We're a pretty good society with few daily threats. This of course changes based on locale. I'm not going unicorns and faeries for people living in some very crime-ridden areas where the challenge of day to day life is real and constant. Without guilt I will say that I am insulated from that struggle. I would love to change that situation but I don't think I can help by taking a firearm to the bad part of town.

It opens up another debate, are we best off avoiding those places or arming ourselves and trying to conduct business as usual? I'll admit - I avoid those parts of the city and try to keep people I care about out of them also. I live life by the motto of "The best way to prove a fool wrong is give them what they want." If the thugs and thieves want to harass people then don't be near them. The State or Federal government needs to examine these communities and provide amnesty options to offer a chance for people to get out if they want. Many inner-cities represent a humanitarian crisis that grows larger everyday. I'll stay out of those places as opposed to going and taking my gun with me. If I have firearms at home then I am very comfortable of the defense my neighbors and I would muster.

There have only been a few times in my life I would've really liked to have had a gun.  Once when 4 guys pulled up as i was getting things out of my pickup in the city.  They called me cracker and mumbled some other crap.  I grabbed my stuff just as if nothing was happening and paid no attention.  I would've felt more secure had I had a pistol.  Would've reacted the same, I'd rather not shoot anyone let alone 1 against 4 and they probably were armed.  It'd just have been nice since I'm non confrontational and I wouldn't have been shaking as much as I was.

One time someone was tresspassing on my property on opening day and this was the 3rd time I told him to stay clear.  I had him in my crosshairs because he was wearing brown and camo and no orange.  All I could see was brown and white in teh distance.  We argued politely for a couple minutes both with loaded shotguns in hand.  He left and I hadn't seen him since.

I wouldn't say it's anyone's responsibility because they have a gun, to get involved in anything.  If i did ever get involved in someone else's arguments the gun wouldn't come out till their was reason(beating, unfair advantage or life threatening situation, I don't see robbery without violence as a reason for a gun).

For me it's the feeling of a security blanket.  I have a wife now and she's my responsibility.  I don't know the Flint or Detroit area and I'm a skinny(130-35lb) geeky white guy with glasses and have ended up in places I shouldn't have been.

Thank you

I hope you are not growing Cannabis because that gun could get someone 2 years in jail i've seen that

I might be in the minority.  I gave my guns away to friends years ago.  I had an awesome Matsui (sp?) semi-automatic shotgun and also a pistol-grip 12-guage that my friends referred to as a "room sweeper."    If someone breaks into my house, I'd far rather use my aluminum baseball bat to flatten him.  There is plenty of information that suggests that trying to shoot someone with a pistol from more than 10 feet away is more or less a crap shoot unless you are a well-trained user (think military training with lots of practice).  And in close combat, the assailant is just about as likely to take your gun and use it against you as you are to use your gun to stop him.  Very few people can accurately fire a pistol.  So a pistol becomes a false sense of security to a lot of folks.  Picture a 60 y/o woman with a CPL trying to defend herself against a thug.  I don't like those odds.

If a thug tries to climb through my window, I'll pull out my baseball bat and make spaghetti out of his brains. 

Thank you

I hope you are not growing Cannabis because that gun could get someone 2 years in jail i've seen that

It could, but I'm not in violation of the law and the feds don't have the money to enforce fed ban.  Has anyone got brought in/charged strictly because they had a gun and grew mj, while completely compliant otherwise?  While the guns were locked away nowhere near the grow, not loaded, etc.?

Not that I'm worried.  With all the interpretations and laws etc., at some point you just have to go by right and wrong and hope for the best.  We never really know what's "legal" till they come and look at your stuff and tell you.

I might be in the minority.  I gave my guns away to friends years ago.  I had an awesome Matsui (sp?) semi-automatic shotgun and also a pistol-grip 12-guage that my friends referred to as a "room sweeper."    If someone breaks into my house, I'd far rather use my aluminum baseball bat to flatten him.  There is plenty of information that suggests that trying to shoot someone with a pistol from more than 10 feet away is more or less a crap shoot unless you are a well-trained user (think military training with lots of practice).  And in close combat, the assailant is just about as likely to take your gun and use it against you as you are to use your gun to stop him.  Very few people can accurately fire a pistol.  So a pistol becomes a false sense of security to a lot of folks.  Picture a 60 y/o woman with a CPL trying to defend herself against a thug.  I don't like those odds.

If a thug tries to climb through my window, I'll pull out my baseball bat and make spaghetti out of his brains. 

Ya, I'm 130lbs and one hell of a shot.  I'd be better off with the gun.

As long as people can protect themselves I couldn't care less if it's a bat, alarm system, dog, gun, knife, machete, pepper spray, tazer, martial arts, credit card, razor blade, hat pin, etc.

Would you go after a 60 y. o. lady with a gun pointed at you? :)

Guns are great home protection IF they are loaded, IF they are easily accessible, IF you have time to get it, IF you're sure who you're shooting at, IF you really intend to use it and IF you intend to kill your target.

Any other scenario and you'd be better off with a bat.

Once someone walks into my house without permission most of those decisions were made already and quite easy.  I can grab a loaded clip and load one in the chamber as quick as I could grab a bat and my gun has a light and red dot laser and better range.  Although I agree wholeheartedly.

^^^ just an aside, but japan basically has no guns, and compared to here (or any other country iv been) that society is the most polite & publicly pleasant place I can imagine. Yes it isnt perfect, but outwardly as a visitor there, cant think of a safer/more pleasant place to be. It's rooted culturally. Now im an american, but here we are highly selfish, very little consideration to those around us... very much grounded in individualism if you will, which has consequence to our public behavior.

they had a bomb or 2 dropped on their arses of course they are pleasent to be around!  they dont want that again would you lol!

Peace

Fear, fear, and fear. If more people feared it would be a better. Fear fear fear.

Heh.

I have always felt pity for those with your mindset. It must be a horrible way to exist.

I'm eternally grateful that I own no guns. There have been times of anger, when having one would have left me with a wasted life.

That said, I think that if our right to own guns is ever stripped it should be taken from LEO as well. England has a great system, and at least 80% of officers there agree.