Cannabis Study: Full-Spectrum Cannabis Extracts More Medically Effective Than Cbd Alone

Cannabidiol (CBD) has been the focus of many medical cannabis studies, and continues to prove itself as a powerful anti-inflammatory drug. What makes CBD even more desirable for some patients is that it does not cause the psychoactive effects associated with tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

An extremely interesting study (Overcoming the Bell-Shaped Dose-Response of Cannabidiol by using Cannabis Extract Enriched in Cannabidiol) was just published out of the Lautenberg Center for General and Tumor Immunology in Jerusalem. The study examines the effectiveness of administering isolated cannabinoid extracts (a CBD-only formula) versus whole plant extracts (which contain the full range of the plant’s cannabinoid content).

marijuana-and-israeli-flag-685x425.jpg

Cannabis Testing at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel (source)

The Hadassah Medical School at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem sought tocompare the effectiveness of a completely purified CBD extract versus a full-spectrum extract of cannabis flowers containing large quantities of CBD. The conclusion of the study was that the whole plant extract, which contained a large percentage of CBD but also contained traces of the other cannabinoids, proved far more effective than CBD-only solutions in alleviating inflammation and pain sensation. The study demonstrated that a whole plant extract, containing the entire range of cannabinoids present in raw cannabis, will continue to provide relief for inflammation as the dose is increased. When supplied as an isolated cannabinoid extract, CBD on its own yielded a bell-curve of effectiveness, which is not desirable for medical treatments seeking effective relief that corresponds with the dosage.

Materials Used: Plants, Animals, and Extracts

The purified CBD was acquired from THC Pharm. GmbH (Frankfurt, Germany) to act as the pharmaceutical grade isolated extract. For the whole plant extract, flowers from the clone 202 (proprietary strain: Avidekel) were supplied by the government-approved growers Tikun Olam Company. Bred to be rich in CBD, the raw flowers of this whole plant extract were ground up and cannabinoids were extracted using the solvent ethanol. The pure CBD extract and the full-spectrum extract were formulated for both injection and oral administration. The tests were performed on ethically-approved lab mice from Hadassah Medical School. In addition to a control group, the commercial drugs aspirin and tramadol were used on separate sets of mice to further compare the effectiveness of synthetic isolations versus whole plant extracts. The study was represented by 10-12 mice per treatment group, using known laboratory methods for measuring reductions in inflammation and pain sensation (described at length in the study). The results clearly show the medical benefit of extracting all the different compounds from the entirety of the raw cannabis flower, rather than extraction of a single cannabinoid.

o-LAB-MICE-facebook-1024x512.jpg

Cannabis Testing on Mice (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty)

Results Of CBD vs. Full-Spectrum on Inflammation and Pain

The data graphs below compare isolated cannabidiol (CBD) against a full-spectrum cannabis extract (from a CBD-rich strain). In all of the tests, the isolated CBD was ineffective both before and after a certain dosage, while the effectiveness of the full-spectrum solution continued to increase as higher doses were administered. The results all indicate that CBD is only effective against swelling and pain at a certain dose, and that cannabis solutions containing a full range of cannabinoids will continue to provide corresponding effects as the dosage is increased.

Injections: The isolated CBD injection was moderately effective at 5 mg/kg, but became less effective when the dose was higher. The shape of the graph resembles a bell-curve, indicating that the CBD-only formula lost effectiveness after a certain dose. The results from the cannabis flower extract showed that the synergy between the cannabinoids yielded greater relief as the dosage was increased, which is desirable in medicine.

Screen-Shot-2015-03-09-at-12.16.15-PM.pn

Injections of CBD and Clone 202 (Full-Spectrum) Extract (mg/kg) (source)

Oral Consumption: When the CBD and the full-spectrum extract where administered orally, the results were extremely similar to the injection test. Graph © shows CBD peaking at 25 mg/kg, and then losing any additional efficacy as the dose was increased. The whole plant extract provided more relief for inflammation and pain sensation as the dose was increased. It is important for the effects of the medication to reflect the dosage, as every patient is different and will require unique treatment based on aspects like tolerance.

Screen-Shot-2015-03-09-at-12.33.10-PM.pn

CBD and Clone 202 (Full-Spectrum) Extract Administered Orally (source)

Measuring Levels of TNFα: Production of TNFα (tumor necrosis factor alpha) in the body leads to swelling from fluid accumulation in body tissues. The figure below represents the effectiveness of CBD and whole plant extract in suppressing TNFα production and reducing swelling. CBD proved effective only at a specific dose (25 mg/kg), while again the full-spectrum extract (concentrated from CBD-rich flowers) continued to suppress TNFα production to extremely low levels as dosage was increased.

Screen-Shot-2015-03-09-at-12.47.54-PM.pn

Reduction in Levels of TNFα (source)

Comparing Cannabis and Commercial Drugs: The final graph shows the results of purified CBD and the full-spectrum extract when compared to the commercial drugs aspirin and tramadol. Aspirin had a moderate effect on tissue swelling, while tramadol had barely any effect. Both of the cannabis medicines prevented the swelling of the paw to a greater extent than either of the commercial drugs (a). Both of the commercial drugs did more for direct pain sensation (b), but CBD and the full-spectrum extract produced remarkable suppression of TNFα, while the commercial drugs did very little ©. Therefore, cannabis has medical properties not found in common inflammation drugs.

Screen-Shot-2015-03-09-at-1.06.01-PM.png

Comparing Commercial Drugs with CBD and Whole Plant Cannabis Extracts (source)

Conclusion: Cannabinoid Synergy More Effective Against Swelling

Cannabis studies continue to legitimize the medical relevance of the different cannabinoids. However, this study shows the importance of treating ailments using the full range of cannabinoids available. Gallily, Yekhtim, and Hanus, the authors of this study from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, conclude that cannabis extracts, specifically cannabidiol, can be more effective for anti-inflammation treatment than the familiar commercial drugs on pharmacy shelves.

green-party-politician-ian-driver-wants-

Cannabis Flowers Contain a Variety of Cannabinoids that Work Together (source)

This study is important because it confirms the importance of cannabis as both medication and a natural plant. Many pharmaceutical companies have been trying to create synthetic derivatives of the different cannabinoids, but it turns out that the entirety of the raw cannabis plant is more beneficial than a single isolated cannabinoid. The results of this study are extremely promising for the future of cannabis science and medicine.

https://www.smokereports.com/blog/2015/03/09/cannabis-study-full-spectrum-cannabis-extracts-more-medically-effective-than-cbd-alone/

sorry this happened to you. Upset stomach, nausea, sleeplessness, agitation, anxiety, restlessness, headache, gastro intestinal disturbances. A general feeling of dis-ease.

I likened it to the time I took wellbutrin to stop smoking. Within two weeks I was crazy, with bad feelings, and sickness. I stopped smoking after those two weeks and stopped taking the rx immediately against my docs advice. I did desire a cigarette for awhile after but didn't succumb to the temptation(who am I fooling, I smoke joint right...) The biggest reason I didn't start again was because I somehow knew, after years of trying to quit, I would have to take the wellbutrin again someday to stop, so I never started again.---in fear of the fluoridated state. 

Seems the people who may need high cbd's are the ones who benefit from them, while it may be an antagonist to those who don't. I know there was an rx in the past made with cbd in this country. It may have been a test, but some people flipped out with suicidal thoughts and strange behavior, very similar to bath salts, also utilizing the synthesized cannabis constituents , one at a time. It was quickly removed I  cant find any info on it now. maybe you are familiar?

While I do enjoy vaporizing most hybrids and land races I did not vaporize it. I bet it sucks just the same.

the greatest tools of the oppressor are the minds of the oppressed

Edited by grassmatch

The only natural "high" cbd plant I know of is the ditch weed/rope hemp. Its always been known to cause similar discomfort when smoked by some. Sticking it in a Punnets Square and making it taste better isn't going to rid of us the ditch weed effects. On the contrary I have read of workers in hemp fields using the balms to apply topically for anti-inflammatory/pain relief. they knew better than to smoke it, and preferred the private garden loot. Lots of history on separating cannabis constituents and none of the results sound good for consumption comparatively. Parents are now admitting that a whole plant including thc is better for their children suffering from epilepsy.  Many of the effects of smoking/vaporizing "autoflowering" cannabis report the same symptoms for me and mine. These are hybrid ruderalis plants, made to taste better.  My conclusions stand.

In fairness I know some people who get wheezy from using "normal" cannabis and describe similar symptoms. They avoid the herb mostly. Maybe my/our personal chemotype(s) just don't  play friendly with "high cbd" plants?  maybe "high cbd" will be found to be damaging somehow and they will revert to a whole plant approach, and get out of the hemp fields to do it?  Maybe awesome marketing was awesome ?  

Why would you smoke high CBD bud when you can make good edible oil out of it that could really help someone?

1)I've never met a person who's benefits outweighed the side effects of "high cbd"

2)I grow and smoke whole balanced plants, and their oil with zero negative effects. If I smoke another strain of

cannabis and it sucks for me and mine, no reason at all to bother making oil with it.

3)I'm not looking for a revamp of garden habits and choices. I'm really good at growing balanced cannabis plants that

provide awesome relief to my patients. Some of them would benefit from consuming more veggies too, and I don't grow those for them-lol

I grow only the strains that provide relief for ME. Then I locate patients who have similar chemotypes, enjoying my brand of relief. I DO NOT hunt strains for patients. If they're not 100% satisfied with the first two deliveries I consider my interview process flawed, and replace them with a patient who is satisfied. With the 5 at a time rule I'll stick to patients I KNOW I can help with great success, and leave those others to growers who specialize in the field of cbd production. I cannot do everything or please everyone.

peace

1)I've never met a person who's benefits outweighed the side effects of "high cbd"

2)I grow and smoke whole balanced plants, and their oil with zero negative effects. If I smoke another strain of

cannabis and it sucks for me and mine, no reason at all to bother making oil with it.

3)I'm not looking for a revamp of garden habits and choices. I'm really good at growing balanced cannabis plants that

provide awesome relief to my patients. Some of them would benefit from consuming more veggies too, and I don't grow those for them-lol

I grow only the strains that provide relief for ME. Then I locate patients who have similar chemotypes, enjoying my brand of relief. I DO NOT hunt strains for patients. If they're not 100% satisfied with the first two deliveries I consider my interview process flawed, and replace them with a patient who is satisfied. With the 5 at a time rule I'll stick to patients I KNOW I can help with great success, and leave those others to growers who specialize in the field of cbd production. I cannot do everything or please everyone.

peace

I think when it comes to high CBD concentrates ingestion gives more benefit then smoking or vaping.  I suspect there is a CBD metabolite analogous to 11-NOR-THC that is responsible.  I could be wrong.  I have not heard of CBD side effects but then again I haven't heard much about people smoking high-CBD/low THC meds.  What ratio CBD:THC are you talking?

I've smoked high cbd oil with out negative effects. 

Perhaps my body needs more cbd for balance.

I have had instances especially 'back in the day'

whereas I did not care for how I felt after smoking

cannabis even to the point of wishing I had not.

@GregRx the more I learn I realize how little I know also :)

What a fascinating plant.

I think when it comes to high CBD concentrates ingestion gives more benefit then smoking or vaping.  I suspect there is a CBD metabolite analogous to 11-NOR-THC that is responsible.  I could be wrong.  I have not heard of CBD side effects but then again I haven't heard much about people smoking high-CBD/low THC meds.  What ratio CBD:THC are you talking?

I agree.

I didn't bother sending the harlequin or cannatonic plants to the lab, so really no idea of the ratio's.

smoking high cbd plants and suffering neg side effects is discussed in detail on google, in forums, weedblogs, etc.

I'd like to know why I/we feel the same after smoking ruderalis plants as we do high cbd plants, but not plants with greater thc>cbd's. This is the main reason some do not enjoy autoflowering plants, for the headache, unease...

I agree.

I didn't bother sending the harlequin or cannatonic plants to the lab, so really no idea of the ratio's.

smoking high cbd plants and suffering neg side effects is discussed in detail on google, in forums, weedblogs, etc.

I'd like to know why I/we feel the same after smoking ruderalis plants as we do high cbd plants, but not plants with greater thc>cbd's. This is the main reason some do not enjoy autoflowering plants, for the headache, unease...

I found one thread on smoking Harlequin and feeling bad the next day.  That's about it so far.  The consensus seems to be it wakes you up and that is about the only side effect.  Not discounting your personal experience and if you have some good threads let me know.  I have encountered "ditchweed" in my day that was headachey and wonder what the cannabinoid profile of those were. 

https://www.google.com/#q=cbd+negative+side+effect

I found one thread on smoking Harlequin and feeling bad the next day.  That's about it so far.  The consensus seems to be it wakes you up and that is about the only side effect.  Not discounting your personal experience and if you have some good threads let me know.  I have encountered "ditchweed" in my day that was headachey and wonder what the cannabinoid profile of those were. 

https://www.google.com/#q=cbd+negative+side+effect

not attesting to how good they are...but some others reporting bad side effects.

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana-usage-applications/831954-negative-side-effects-high-cbd-meds.html <same linky?

a quote I found

"CBD is not a cure-all miracle, singular action is extremely limited in comprison with whole plant extract. THC is not a "bad" cannabinoid, it is extremely beneficial when consumed appropriately. Trying to force cannabinoids into the "Big Pharma" model destroys the synergy, or entourage effect of whole plant extracts. Until research reveals more information about the other plant compounds in cannabis and the interactions between those compounds and the human ECS, isolation of singular cannabinoids will be no more efficacious than the 3 FDA approved synthetic cannabinoids already available and seldom used. Pharma-corps have been trying over 40 years to duplicate the therapeutic benefits of phytocannabinoids with zero success. The high THC varieties commonly associated with "recreational" users are extremely efficacious in treating chronic pain and other conditions. GW Pharma's Sativex is a 1:1 THC:CBD extract in alcohol tincture with propylene glycol added. It is less safe and less effective than whole plant extract. Don't be deceived by the current media attention on CBD - it is only one part of what Judge Francis Young called one of the most therapeutically beneficial plants known to mankind."

"In one study, the researchers surveyed parents in Colorado whose children had epilepsy and were treated with marijuana. Parents who had moved to the state because it is legal there to use pot recreationally were three times more likely to report that cannabis helped their children, compared with families who already lived in the state. [11 Surprising Facts About Placebos] "

http://www.livescience.com/49048-cannabis-marijuana-epilepsy.html

makes a ton of sense to me. some people(maybe lacking receptors?) are intolerant to cannabis, and they report different reasons. Some times half a bud will feel different today than it does tomorrow. we're not really sure yet why this happens. maybe it the thc, maybe the cbd, or maybe one of the dozens of other constituents causing the discomfort. someday, when its too late, we'll get to the truth.

Edited by grassmatch