Mi law regarding caregivers requirements

Ghastly83

Mi law  and caregiver requirements.  Interpretation : If I have been a Michigan resident for over two years,  and never been in any legal trouble in Michigan . I could become my wife's caregiver?  As she has recently requested of me.   State law is in reference specifically to which state it is in place correct? Unless as in business liscence makes the specifications of any legal trouble in Any state.? Would appreciate input on this issue. 

On 2/4/2018 at 7:44 AM, Ghastly83 said:

Mi law  and caregiver requirements.  Interpretation : If I have been a Michigan resident for over two years,  and never been in any legal trouble in Michigan . I could become my wife's caregiver?  As she has recently requested of me.   State law is in reference specifically to which state it is in place correct? Unless as in business liscence makes the specifications of any legal trouble in Any state.? Would appreciate input on this issue. 

your question sounds like you were convicted of a crime in another state?

you can always apply for a caregiver license. LARA then does a background check on you, and then either approves or denies you.

if you are bored you can do your own ichat (michigan state only) background check, just to see whats on your record. ichat specifically says they do not do federal records or other state felonies.

https://apps.michigan.gov/ichat/home.aspx

to answer your other question, if a felony in another state counts as a felony here... no idea. maybe yes maybe no. depends on what kind of other background checks that LARA runs. the quick answer is just apply to be a caregiver and see what they decide.

unless you have an active warrant in another state....

I just do not want any legal grief.  I am dealing with enough with my wife's recent diagnosis of cancer.  Her caregiver basically rode on his patients backs until he applied for a commercial liscence. He never even grew her requested strains.  So she is fed up and knows what my true intentions are. Her survival not my profit. Sometimes people just make bad choices.  Those situations do not show true personality necessarily.  But my interpretation of the law is that it's a state by state issue currently.  Until federal government decriminalization. I've tried to contact a lawyer with the simple question of interpretation with no response from them yet.  I am going to give it a go.  She needs a reliable source of unadulterated  medicine for the treatment she will be undergoing. 

if the state denies your caregiver status, consider becoming a patient to grow your own plants. if you have a qualifying condition of course.

then, within the privacy of your own home, you could transfer your marijuana to your wife. your wife could be your caregiver, and then this transfer would be 100% legal.

good luck, and if you have more questions please ask.

Edited by bax

12 hours ago, AmishRnot4ganja said:

Get your wife's status changed so that she can possess plants. 

If you aren't a caregiver or a patient you cannot have anything to do with her cannabis. However, who is ever going to know what you do in the privacy of your own home if you keep quiet about it?

There was a court case where they proved a sticky note in the plant room was placed there by a defendant. The problem is that a lot of folks don't even know they have to keep their stories straight. Things get complicated. 

17 minutes ago, Restorium2 said:

There was a court case where they proved a sticky note in the plant room was placed there by a defendant. The problem is that a lot of folks don't even know they have to keep their stories straight. Things get complicated. 

I was at the MSC when this case was heard.  The attorney was able to demonstrate that while the wife had indeed written out the labels in their kitchen, her involvement was no different than if she had gone to the store and picked up some flower pots for her husband.   

Interesting sidenote, the attorney that won the case was a court appointed attorney.  He was/is a one man shop with his wife working as his assistant.  He previously had no experience with cannabis.  

On 2/6/2018 at 5:43 AM, Ghastly83 said:

I just do not want any legal grief.  I am dealing with enough with my wife's recent diagnosis of cancer.  

I forgot to answer this... LARA wont give you any grief if they deny you. It is a simple letter they send you saying if you were approved or denied.

If you have a qualifying condition and submit paperwork to be a patient, LARA does not do background checks on patients.

Hopefully this helps in some way, good luck.