My bud taste like LEAF/HAY??

hero4u

Just harvested my first plant.  Was a seemango.  Looks good and smells great, BUT, it tastes like leaf/hay?  Last time i grew, i had the same problem.  everything i was growing looked and smelled wonderful, but ALWAYS tasted like hay and/or leaf?  Im ALL about taste.  What am i doing wrong? 

How are you drying your buds?

I clip each bud off the branch and then hang dry mine in a mesh hanger then once they feel firm and a little crispy I then put the buds into a  brown grocery bag which pulls the inner moisture of the  bud  out through it  stabilizing the bud 3-5 days later into jars mine almost always taste like hash ..

I think you dried it out too fast take the buds place them in a Tupperware or other container with a lid add in some fan leaves from a vegging plant  to re hydrate your bud .

Just to clarify, did the bud smell like grass/hay when dried? Or did it smell good dried but taste like hay when smoked?

Hay or grass smell is usually due to chlorophyll retention. Chlorophyll will break down and be undetectable by the human palate when cannabis is dried properly.

Hay or grass smell is one or more of these issues: poor genetics (not all to likely but worth a mention in case your growing shwag bag seed lol, jk), harvested before peak maturity, dried too fast (under 50%RH), dried to slow (over 70%RH), fluctuation in humidity levels in excess of 10% during the dry process, or mold/other contamination. There is many ways to dry a plant but 50-60%RH and 55-60*F for 10-14 days has been the terpene preserving sweet spot in my experience.

Light deficiency will not cause a grass smell... Excess light could however evaporate some of the more volatile terpenes and cause a reduction in trichome production along with other issues. None the less, even excess light will not cause a grass smell, just a reduction in quality.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:56 AM, Easy E said:

I completely disagree.

I could take any of my buds and dry them however and they will be sticky, stinky, and not like hay in any way. 

Obviously it's better if you do a great job drying but it's never going to taste like hay.

Edited by Restorium2

On 3/13/2019 at 9:18 AM, Easy E said:

Just to clarify, did the bud smell like grass/hay when dried? Or did it smell good dried but taste like hay when smoked?

Hay or grass smell is usually due to chlorophyll retention. Chlorophyll will break down and be undetectable by the human palate when cannabis is dried properly.

Hay or grass smell is one or more of these issues: poor genetics (not all to likely but worth a mention in case your growing shwag bag seed lol, jk), harvested before peak maturity, dried too fast (under 50%RH), dried to slow (over 70%RH), fluctuation in humidity levels in excess of 10% during the dry process, or mold/other contamination. There is many ways to dry a plant but 50-60%RH and 55-60*F for 10-14 days has been the terpene preserving sweet spot in my experience.

Light deficiency will not cause a grass smell... Excess light could however evaporate some of the more volatile terpenes and cause a reduction in trichome production along with other issues. None the less, even excess light will not cause a grass smell, just a reduction in quality.

As it turns out there is a light deficiency. Figured it out in another thread. 

47 minutes ago, hero4u said:

i am flowering in a 4x4 grow tent.   Will this 1500 watt light be too warm for this tent?

Always make sure you circulate enough air to keep the temp between 65-80 F.  You can venture out of that range occasionally but try to stay in it for most of the time(like outdoors). 

4 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

Around 18" seems to be working good for veg and bloom. One switch on for veg and both on for bloom. You could go a little closer or further. 

18 to 24 inches would work. Tent is 7' tall and other lights are 6' up. Putting this light in center of other two lights set at 6' would be great as plants get 4 to 4 1/2' tall.

Normally veg in another area for 8 weeks then into flower tent. I would be using for flowering only.

Use 6 bulb 4' long T8 fluorescent for veg and then work well.

Thanks for info.