Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

Just wanna make sure I get this right . I know I won't have 16 gallons of water because water sits below the pot . Im just estimating see if I am on the right track. So say I used 16 gallons per tote. Atm Im gonna start off 3 totes. For Smaller stage clone and lil bigger I would use half strength . Which would be 192 ml of the micro and 384 ml of the bloom . Then when bigger bump it up to 384 ml micro and 768 ml bloom throughout the whole grow. Flush between veg and flower and about a month into flowering. I seen you posted that to empty and refill the rez after the plant has used about the size of your rez. If I;m understanding correctly How often does this usually happen ? Tryin to figure out so I can buy nutes in bigger quantities.

there are two different ways to handle the nutes. since you are using 16 gallon totes, you will be able to fit about 10 gallons of water/nutes in there. so lets use 10 gallons for a number.

1) start with your original 10 gallons. as the plants drink and evaporation occurs, backfill with plain water to maintain the proper level. keep track of each gallon of clean water, and once you hit 10 gallons, refill the whole tote with fresh nutes/water. this method is "playing it safe and doing it on the cheap", and IMO its being too safe/too cheap.

2) i prefer this method. backfill with nute/water mixed at normal strength for your application and flush at the flip to 12/12 and about a month into 12/12. you will find that during the early stages of veg, you will backfill maybe a gallon a week. depends on your room temps, but regardless, you will not be using very much. obviously, once you hit flower, and the plants are larger, they will drink more.

as a guide, i will use a couple of the strains i run. the moby/haze plant usually ends up being one per tote because they get so big. she usually drinks a little over a gallon a day. no kidding. on the other hand, i have some WW that grows "up" and not "out" and therefore i can fit 2 per tote. i might add a gallon every 2 or 3 days for these 2 plants. they just dont drink that much. so it really depends on the strain and size of the plants.

as far as your purchasing habits, just remember that you are always using double the bloom than you are the micro. i go w/ a gallon of micro and 2 gallons of bloom every time. just under $150 and thats enough nutes for you to run probably 2 cycles.

as i said earlier, you will be using a little extra nutes/water than you "need", but with these nutes being so cheap, i wouldnt be too concerned. i started in 18 gallon totes myself.

I have been reading and watching the bubble thing. I like areo but I think I have found a way to use both. so I have been working on a new areo system and added bubbles via a 7.5 horse 80 gallon compressor. I did away with all the small tanks and pumps. Built a frame out of 2x4's and used 6mil plactic sheeting (pond liner would work). Works out to be around 100 gallons of water (could hold up to 600 gallons) . Added 80 foot of the black sweat line hose (for a bad azz air stone). Hooked up to the compressor. I can run 20 to 60 psi and shoot bubbles 18" high. Two water pumps (400 gph) on 1/2 line with 12 misters each. Top cover is Foam board with foil and plastic backing. I have also started to cut the bottoms off of all the net pots because plants grow so fast I get a bottle neck at the bottom of the cup. I am also switching over to 2" PVC reducers. They work well and no cutting. 10k CFM fans for exhaust, All incoming air is filtered. Two 1000 w cool tubes, Each ducted out side. And all the little bells that make it go. I will try to post some pics soon. Thanks for the bubbles. John

HOLY CRAP!! that's doing it WELL ;)

can't wait to see this!! my mind is wandering :)

HOLY CRAP!! that's doing it WELL ;)

can't wait to see this!! my mind is wandering :)

Well it seems to be doing good so far.I had to add a DH to remove the extra humidity. But tank temps are a thing of the past.lol

I have a 4 week old Utopia clone that is 3'x3' and still going like crazy.

oooooooooooh i like them trees :)

Yep she had to go on into flower as she was smothering her sisters and some indica 50. Next round will be pink floyd, super mutt and arjan haze 1#. Just took on 2 patients so soon I will be able to play with more strains. :D