Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

epsom salts will work, but i have never used it before.

they do make straight powdered mag. i had a friend back in cali who was a "diy nute guy" who literally hand-made his nutes from scratch. i bought a 5 pound bag of it from him and thats enough to last awhile :) i use maybe 1/8 teaspoon per gallon.............. and with this strain i only use it for 2-4 weeks.

so everyone knows the deduction process......... i first saw the deficiency....... figured cal.

added cal/mag and experienced mild lock-out i thought.

by then the plants had almost finished so i had to wait until next cycle to play more. i added cal only to some and mag only to some after the def. reappeared.................

guess what the problem was :)

and i been fixing it ever since :)

That is extremely odd...

Are you 100% sure on this Bubble?

Because I've never ever seen a Magnesium deficiency where the Stomata died off BEFORE the Chloraphyll failed and the leaves begin to yellow. Usually in the presence of a Magnesium deficiency the leaves will yellow first starting at the outer most portions moving in, which is a sign of Chloraphyll failure/break down (interveinal chlorosis), then the Stomata begin dieing off and the leaves become spotty. This process is called Interveinal chlorosis and is ALWAYS present during a Magnesium deficiency... I don't see any chlorosis at all in that picture. Highly unlikely it's a Magnesium deficiency...

With a Calcium deficiency the Stomata die off much faster. They die before the Chloraphyll fails so the leaves get spotty and total break down begins to occur. Interveinal chlorosis is never present during a Calcium deficiency.

Yes it's true that the Calcium deficiencies will affect the newer vegetation and growth first. But this is a generalization and isn't ALWAYS true. Calcium deficiencies affect the whole entire plant and visible signs of the issue can become present anywhere on the plant...

In my experience, a lot of times when you notice the symptoms of a Calcium deficiency on the older leaves instead of the younger, newer growth, it's a sign of too much Calcium.

Having too much Calcium in the mix will result in the same symptoms as a deficiency but it will begin to show these symptoms in areas of the plant where you don't normally have or notice the issue, such as the older leaves...

Having too much Calcium present is something that can easily be over looked and definitely diagnosed as something completely different because of it's odd symptoms.

In my opinion, what's happening with your situation and why it seems to work, is this -

You may have too much Calcium in your solution or that particular strain is more sensitive to Calcium levels. This is causing Calcium build ups in the older vegetation. Which is why you're experiencing these symptoms on older vegetation.

(Obviously when you first noticed it and treated it as a deficiency by adding more Calcium, the issue got worse. It probably got so bad that it stunted the growth of the plant severely.)

By you adding Magnesium alone, more likely than not you're also depriving the plant of Calcium. This is because higher Magnesium concentrations tend to "buffer" Calcium intake. Doing this good though becaue it helps the plant stabilize it's Calcium intake when too much Calcium is present. So somehow the amount of magnesium you have been mixing in has been stabilizing the Calcium intake. This is rare but is more likely than not what is going on...

Just me educated guess though... I could be wrong. Who knows...

Have you tried simply reducing the amount of Calcium in your solution?

obvious, but helpful:

2-liter bottles filled 2/3 of the way with water and frozen make great rez chillers. make a tandem of 2 bottles. one freezing and one in the rez. they will last for a couple/few hours, and bob up and down in there just nicely.

one reason i like 2 liter bottles is they are easier to clean than milk jugs. milk jugs have those paper labels that are a PIA to remove. most 2 liters just have that nylon label that you can just cut off with scissors.

also, 2 liter bottles can withstand the expand/contract of freezing water better than milk jugs.

bleach the outside real quick, fill, freeze, and you have a free rez chiller system.

That is extremely odd...

Are you 100% sure on this Bubble?

Because I've never ever seen a Magnesium deficiency where the Stomata died off BEFORE the Chloraphyll failed and the leaves begin to yellow. Usually in the presence of a Magnesium deficiency the leaves will yellow first starting at the outer most portions moving in, which is a sign of Chloraphyll failure/break down (interveinal chlorosis), then the Stomata begin dieing off and the leaves become spotty. This process is called Interveinal chlorosis and is ALWAYS present during a Magnesium deficiency... I don't see any chlorosis at all in that picture. Highly unlikely it's a Magnesium deficiency...

With a Calcium deficiency the Stomata die off much faster. They die before the Chloraphyll fails so the leaves get spotty and total break down begins to occur. Interveinal chlorosis is never present during a Calcium deficiency.

Yes it's true that the Calcium deficiencies will affect the newer vegetation and growth first. But this is a generalization and isn't ALWAYS true. Calcium deficiencies affect the whole entire plant and visible signs of the issue can become present anywhere on the plant...

In my experience, a lot of times when you notice the symptoms of a Calcium deficiency on the older leaves instead of the younger, newer growth, it's a sign of too much Calcium.

Having too much Calcium in the mix will result in the same symptoms as a deficiency but it will begin to show these symptoms in areas of the plant where you don't normally have or notice the issue, such as the older leaves...

Having too much Calcium present is something that can easily be over looked and definitely diagnosed as something completely different because of it's odd symptoms.

In my opinion, what's happening with your situation and why it seems to work, is this -

You may have too much Calcium in your solution or that particular strain is more sensitive to Calcium levels. This is causing Calcium build ups in the older vegetation. Which is why you're experiencing these symptoms on older vegetation.

(Obviously when you first noticed it and treated it as a deficiency by adding more Calcium, the issue got worse. It probably got so bad that it stunted the growth of the plant severely.)

By you adding Magnesium alone, more likely than not you're also depriving the plant of Calcium. This is because higher Magnesium concentrations tend to "buffer" Calcium intake. Doing this good though becaue it helps the plant stabilize it's Calcium intake when too much Calcium is present. So somehow the amount of magnesium you have been mixing in has been stabilizing the Calcium intake. This is rare but is more likely than not what is going on...

Just me educated guess though... I could be wrong. Who knows...

Have you tried simply reducing the amount of Calcium in your solution?

this info deserves plus rep from the whole community. this is proper, "normal" and PERFECT info.

hello - long time.

Q: 6 1/2 weeks flower- top canopy about 12 inches under the light- buds are starting to feel dry to the touch instead of crazy sticky- thinking of harvesting the dryer top buds early and letting the rest go the full 8 weeks- im wondering if i let them go would they just dry up under the light and be worthless- i have no more room to raisr the lamp-

any thoughts would be appreciated- thank you

woah, time out.

dont cut anything yet.

what wattage you have ......... and what strain??

harvesting by "touch" is not a good plan really.

hi bg,

600hps air-cooled - pure power plant

tri's are mostly cloudy- some amber - calyx are swollen like crazy

i dont have much room to move them away from the lamp anymore- i just dont want them to get burned beyond medicinal value

hi bg,

i dont have much room to move them away from the lamp anymore- i just dont want them to get burned beyond medicinal value

You could always bend them over gently, wrap a long string around the main stalk and tie it to the pot/bucket/grow bag... Make-shift LST...

Got any photos?

perfect answer for ya :)

yeah if you have amber, you are almost there. bend them over, out of the way.

hi bg,

I am having the same exact problem with the same exact strain =( Was thinking about harvesting early to but glad I got on a read =)

another random, but good point.

if you are using bubbletotes and do not have them linked together with a water pump constantly pumping to keep your nutes mixed up good, you should try to go in at least once a day and shake the tote around a little. no tsunami stuff.............. just keeping things mixed up and yummy :)

it happens to the best of us :(

160 gallons of nute water................. pumped all over the floor.

major disaster :(

THANK GOD all my electrical wires were above floor level. bad bad bad bad bad night.

there were a couple closets/hallways in the grow house that still had carpeting.............. not anymore :)

and in the clean-up fiasco i bumped and broke the central air thermostat while trying to carry 20 gallons. can it get worse?

i have major repairs to accomplish so my time today will be sparse on here.

THANK GOD all my electrical wires were above floor level. bad bad bad bad bad night.

there were a couple closets/hallways in the grow house that still had carpeting.............. not anymore :)

and in the clean-up fiasco i bumped and broke the central air thermostat while trying to carry 20 gallons. can it get worse?

sorry to hear that. this is my first indoor grow and i am 4wks into the flowering stage. i have all females in my room of coarse but yesterday i noticed 2 seeds in one of the flowers. i do not see any male flowers on it and it doesnt look like a hermie. i have checked the rest of my plants and none of them have any thank goodness. should i get that plant out of the room? any explanations as to why that would happen.thank you.

sorry to hear that. this is my first indoor grow and i am 4wks into the flowering stage. i have all females in my room of coarse but yesterday i noticed 2 seeds in one of the flowers. i do not see any male flowers on it and it doesnt look like a hermie. i have checked the rest of my plants and none of them have any thank goodness. should i get that plant out of the room? any explanations as to why that would happen.thank you.

no offense to human females :)

but cannabis is a lot alike. all it wants to do is reproduce. and cannabis plants can do some pretty cool things to make that happen. of course i cant say for sure, but since this is your first grow, it is probable that these are "clone seeds", or feminized beans from that plant. cannabis, if not pollinated by a certain time, will sometimes force itself to grow seeds in order to keep the lineage going. if its only a couple beans im nearly positive this is what is going on. nope, i wouldnt remove the plant unless you see many many more, but without spotting a male anywhere, i doubt that you will see more................

BUT........... now that i re-read your post, 4 weeks may be a little early to be forming clone beans.,........... but that depends on strain i suppose. i have a 45 day third dimension strain that pops clone beans around 4 weeks, but most strains wait much longer.

If it would be any help, I have some 10 foot wide rubber roofing membrane for this purpose. I built a room for a clinet upstairs and was worried about a leak. So what I did was run 1 solid peice of rubber wall to wall and up each wall by 4 inches. This catches any of hers spills (we all have them, mine was years ago and I checked the grow every few days, well when I found them needless to say they were dry enough to smoke, but not good enough). The only problem it caused was it covered the heat duct, caused a trip hazzard in the door way, and we cant open the closet door. But this is an upstair room. Better save than sorry. Unless you want me to bid on a drywall repair job.