Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

hydro is fun, big, and very fast thats for certain :) glad you are enjoying yourself over there!!

got pics? i'm sure we can get ya straightened out :)

Hey BG,

Shot the photos tonight, I should have them on the way to you tomorrow sometime.

Thanks,

lilbuddy

I was wondering what people thought were the best finishing products... I was going to do beastie bloom and cha ching.. But I have heard good things about Humbolt Gravity and Kool Blooms. Just wanted to see what everyone else has used and tried!

hydro is fun, big, and very fast thats for certain :) glad you are enjoying yourself over there!!

got pics? i'm sure we can get ya straightened out :)

Hey BG.

I can't send it as an attachment, the pixels are too high.

Do you want to send me an e-mail privately, I have already added you as a contact list on msn.

Let me know

lilbuddy

Thanks again for your response.

lilbuddy

I was wondering what people thought were the best finishing products... I was going to do beastie bloom and cha ching.. But I have heard good things about Humbolt Gravity and Kool Blooms. Just wanted to see what everyone else has used and tried!

i currently do not use anything extra at all. i used to use koolbloom though. not bad........ but i didnt find it to be worth it in my application/with my strains

Hey BG.

I can't send it as an attachment, the pixels are too high.

Do you want to send me an e-mail privately, I have already added you as a contact list on msn.

Let me know

lilbuddy

Thanks again for your response.

lilbuddy

here's a little ditty i put together for uploading pics :)

http://www.michiganm...ting-on-mmma20/

Holy nice buds BG!!! Been a while since I've been around, busiest couple weeks of my life.

i hope you are busy in a good way :)

thanks bro!!

Hey BG, how come you don't add back? I thought you follow the Lucas formula?

i do add back??

not sure where you got the notion i dont. there are a couple different ways to backfill that lucas published. one is backfilling with straight water until you have filled the same amount as the rez, and then do a rez change............ or, backfill full strength (my choice) and rez change when your tds meter tells ya :)

normally, when i am helping a newer grower, who doesnt have a tds pen or anything of the sorts, i will recommend backfilling with clean water and rez changing every 2 weeks. better to be safer for newer folk :)

and, i dont always follow the lucas. once again....... helping newer growers, trying to keep their costs down..... just trying to gets a plant to finish.... ect :)

so i advertise the lucas...... but i dont use it on 100% of my plants.

the concept is that if you keep the EC close to original levels, say 2.0, you dont need to dump your res for the life of the crop

i dump once at the flip..... and that is for safety only...... and only because it is convenient for me in my setup as i move from veg to flower room.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO NEWER GROWERS.

with time comes experience, and i can go an entire cycle without changing the rez once................. but please.... do not try it unless you are 100% comfortable that you know how to deal with the possible problems involved with this.

------ yeah indie.... i think i have read every single page Lucas ever published. im always looking for more though :) if you have obscure stuff please send links :)

if anyone else wants to raise their intellect........ here's a good 40 pager from Lucas himself:

http://www.cannabis-...hread.php?t=892

The current Lucasized Formula with GH Flora is still 0-8-16 as you said. Other nutes, such as PBP can also be made to approximate similar NPKMg values, for example PBPBloom @ 15ml/gal plus 5ml/gal Cal Mag.., or 8ml/gal Flora Nova Bloom

Both with target TDS @.7 of about 1300ppm (use less FNB, like 6ml/gal if your TDS exceeds 1400 with 8ml)

The original reservoir strategy I learned from pH was to dump and replace as you described, once an equal volume of addback water has reached. IOW, when a 20 gallon res, got 20 gallons of top up water, the res was dumped and refilled at fresh 0-8-16. This was not with pH adjusted water, because it works best to allow the res pH to fluctuate within a range of 5.3 to 6.3

An alternate reservoir management strategy I now prefer, is to add nutes to the reservoir in the addback water. The goal is to bring the reservoir back up to 1300ppm. In this strategy, I feel a single res change at harvest is sufficient.

Despite the obvious concern that this non dumping approach allows toxins to build up, I never experienced toxin buildup. this surprised me and caused me to alter my thinking about plant metabolism. It seems they do not excrete toxins the way organisms with digestive tracts do.

How much nutes goes in the addback water varies by res to light ratio. For example, a 50 gallon res under a single 1k can be topped with 33% of 0-8-16, and the 1300 tds will be approximately achieved... Im not a stickler for that number, and am happy fluctuating anywhere between 1100 and 1500ppm over the course of a week, such that if one chooses to top only with water for a few days, the nuteing can be done in a single session each week.

If the same 50 gallon res is used under twice as much light, it will probably require twice as much nutes in the addback water.

The most primary concern is to achieve the TDS increase, while staying within pH range

adding nutes lowers pH, so sometimes one can avoid pH adjusting, by adding more or less nutes

adding water raises pH, so dont adjust a reservoir, until it is topped up with water and nutes

------Lucas

Hi. Ive just finished my room and Im waiting on clones. I live in a one bedroom apt (right below my landlord) so unusual noises at 3am could be an issue. The fan is inside my tent (5x5x7), Ive got a 400 cfm fan and a 400 cfm filter I pull through. I just picked up one of those fan speed controls and it seems to have done the trick and lowered the noise a few decibles. Will lowering the cfms of my fan a bit mess with the efficiency of the carbon filter much?

CAN carbon filters come with both max and min airflow ratings, but I also wondered about that minimum rating.  Wouldn't slower airflow filter better?  

Anyway, my $0.02 worth of recent experience tells me you won't have a problem.  I have a 5 x 8 foot room (really a panda poly tent within a room) with 6 good-sized stinky plants in it, 4 weeks into flower.  A CAN 33 filter with a 6" vortex fan on a speed controller exhausts the room.  I have the speed controller turned down pretty low, so I don't lose too much cool air out of the room.  Smell is almost completely non-existent outside of the grow tent.  This setup controls smell much better than  the previous setup with the same carbon filter.  Previously the filter recirculated inside the grow room, which was poorly sealed.  That was a bad idea.

Are you recirculating inside the tent or exhausting to the outside of the tent through the carbon filter?

Im pulling air through the carbon filter (inside the tent)and Im venting the filtered air outside. My intake is passive and the ducting extends outside the bedroom and into the hall where it picks up air conditioned air. I wonder if my filter also has a minimum CFM, Ill check it out. Thanks for the info. :thumbsu:

well, that kinda interrupts the whole concept of the formula. the purpose of lucas' studies was in part to prove just the opposite of what you want to do.

he showed that things can be simple.

i used to add koolbloom. decided that with my strains it was a waste of money and only caused problems.........

if you have used the lucas formula on a strain before, and have the strain cloned and want to add stuff to the formula to compare results......... then by all means..... grow on. good luck.

if you havent....... then why would you want to screw with a PROVEN method?? why not find out what you are GUARANTEED to have before you tinker with anything?

im not poking at you specifically taj ........ believe that for sure..........

but for everyone else......... especially newer growers.......... trust me, these weird ideas you all come up with to change stuff that is already proven to work is just asking for trouble. adding some crazy item to an already existing nute plan is going to give you problems WAY MORE OFTEN than it is going to miraculously increase your trichome production and bud yield.

not telling anyone how to grow.............. but i always found it better to grow my "control" crop first. AND THEN experiment.

Well...I did ask the question, Thanks for being honest :thumbsu:

Certainly needed to be said.

Wise advice.

The tinker's curse is that not much gets done.

All Good. and I agree with this message.

Thanks BG!

Taj

well, that kinda interrupts the whole concept of the formula. the purpose of lucas' studies was in part to prove just the opposite of what you want to do.

i used to add koolbloom. decided that with my strains it was a waste of money and only caused problems.........

if you have used the lucas formula on a strain before, and have the strain cloned and want to add stuff to the formula to compare results......... then by all means..... grow on. good luck.

if you havent....... then why would you want to screw with a PROVEN method?? why not find out what you are GUARANTEED to have before you tinker with anything?

im not poking at you specifically taj ........ believe that for sure..........

but for everyone else......... especially newer growers.......... trust me, these weird ideas you all come up with to change stuff that is already proven to work is just asking for trouble. adding some crazy item to an already existing nute plan is going to give you problems WAY MORE OFTEN than it is going to miraculously increase your trichome production and bud yield.

not telling anyone how to grow.............. but i always found it better to grow my "control" crop first. AND THEN experiment.

Guest Mr_smith

Have you ever had a problem with the weight of the plant pushing the net pot through the hole?

The reason I ask is because the net pots I boought seem to have a very small lip on the top so I'm worried that one day I will come home to find my retarded huge plant on its a$s..

Well...I did ask the question, Thanks for being honest :thumbsu:

Certainly needed to be said.

Wise advice.

The tinker's curse is that not much gets done.

All Good. and I agree with this message.

Thanks BG!

Taj

just trying to help :)

Have you ever had a problem with the weight of the plant pushing the net pot through the hole?

The reason I ask is because the net pots I boought seem to have a very small lip on the top so I'm worried that one day I will come home to find my retarded huge plant on its a$s..

nope. never had that problem....... and as you can see i have grown some pretty heavy plants. the biggest problem is having them fall over once they get SO big, but no i have never had one fall through before. my net pots also have small lips.......... maybe 1/8" at best??

Got a question... Can you turn a METAL wardrobe cabinet into a grow cabinet? The it's about 5 1/2 feet tall, 3' wide.. maybe 18" deep? I'm also concerned its metal will that get to hot?

sure, its been done many-a-time :)

i would spend the extra $10 and wrap the entire inside with panda film or mylar though. this will help in SO MANY WAYS.

it will help seal light in/out. it will help reduce heat. light reflection. no worries about rust............ ect.....

I'm not poking at you specifically taj ........ believe that for sure..........

thanks for you post i don't post much here on this thread but you are so right i tell people that all the time i say get your Meds first and once you do that then you can tinker i use the K.I.S.S. KEEP IT SIMPLE Stupid