Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

well, believe me, the diameter of an eight foot tall cannabis plant is more than the diameter of a 20 gallon tote :) i realize that you are thinking about floor space, and thats good. but once these plants are full size, you wont have the containers touching each other unless you are growing a real lanky sativa strain.

a 20 gallon tote is about 18" x 24" x 18" deep.

Guest Wayne

Thanks gives me some idea of what I'm up against. Also considering a 18/6, 12/12 type grow utilizing sunlight when available and MH/HPS to fill out the rest. Can I cheat on wattage during non sunlight hours to keep the cycle going without risking undue stretching. Just trying to keep things cheap as possible and utilize availabe sunlight especially during summer. Someone gifted me a plant that was approx 10 wks along on 18/6, about 3' tall grown under a 1000 watt HPS. The difference in growth and fullness after two weeks in the sun is amazing.

oh most definitely. sunlight is amazing stuff.

are you planning to flower under the sun as well?

if it were me, and i planned to flower under the natural sun, i wouldnt skimp on the lighting now. the sun will be getting REAL close to a natural 12/12 cycle in about 2 months. since you can put them in the sun for 12-13 hours or more now, you only have to use artificial lighting for about 6 hours a day to maintain a good veg period. 6 hours a day for 60 days really isnt that much $$ on the bill.

but it's totally up to you. you could just go 100% natural if you wish. i would go natural before i used fluorescent lights on her though. i wouldnt want my stems stretching to reach that weak light and becoming too thin to hold up the buds.

every time you need to be completely dumping out the old and refill with new.

so every single week you want me to flush all the resiviours? so sorry i am asking the same questions over and over I am just not understanding

what I hear you say is dump all the water every week not just every other week and put the nuts in per week....

Ok, so WTF just happenend between Bubblegrower and C2thewater???

C2 you understand I found mites (had them before you posted BTW) but not problematic amounts of them???

So what if BG didnt mention mites off the bat? It didnt really express itself as a mite issue???

Not sure what the deal IS exactally, But i don't see a ''C2thewater'' sticky thread helping hundreds, if not thousands of people...

So please, if it suits you... Crawl back under your rock...

Buck Naked,

Yes, he is suggesting dumping and filling each week.. yes, its a lot and it gets expensive... I personally can't folow the factory recomended schedule, its just too much product for me (expense wise) But i also have a PH and EC meter to keep mine in check....

are you using RO water or tap?

I found that 5ml (1tsp) FF Grow Big in RO water to give ~500ppm and about 4.7ph its very acidic... The bloom is worse...

I switched back to Ionic recently and founnd that the recomended doasage set me very close to target PH without a lot of adjustment...

But really man, go get a PH tester.. its not THAT expensive and what it CAN save you is worth EVERY penny...

yup, 2.5-5 sounds good. ph around 5.7 will do them well. i wouldnt mess with anything else right now as you will be doubling the nutes in just a couple days. they will be fine. for future reference, what kind of water did you start with again?

I have tap water that I have been running in the tote for a couple of days. I figured I would give the clone roots a jump start in the bubble cloner while the chlorine evaporates. I was thinking of using air conditioner run off. The pH is really low though (5.9-6.1). I like to use dehydrator water to mix up my flower nutes for soil. pH on the water is about 7.2-7.3 and ends up right around 6.8ph with GH nutes added. I simply don't have enough dehydrator water to fill my bubble tote. I was thinking about using Ionic Bloom for hard water. I picked up gallons of it at an auction, and it would be great if I could use it for a bubble application. Would I use it with micro? Would the quantities be the same? Can I do the Lucas method with Ionic Bloom for Hard water?

Thanks,

Blake

At $0.12 / kw-hr, about the rate I'm paying:

rate * power load in kw * hours per month

for the light: $0.12 / kw-hr * 1kw * 12 hours / day * 30 days per month = $43 / month if the light is on 12/12 cycle, or $86 / month if 24 hours a day.

for the Air conditioner: start at that $43 / month, then move it up or down depending on the size and duty cycle of the AC. Kind of a guessing game without knowing the unit's power consumption, or how much it will run in the setup.

How do we keep you guys from continuing to beat a dead horse...let's get past this, shall we?...Bubblegrower has proven his point! You're the man, bubblegrowwer...now, can we get back to business as usual?...I've been listening to this critisizm for days...DEAD HORSE...DEAD HORSE...DEAD HORSE!!! Can we please stop beating this dog-gone "waste of time" dead animal, AND MOVE ON!

Bubblegrower, you got most of these guys stirred up with your posts...how about calling off your dogs, and just staying with the program! I'm tired of this...you've said you're tired of it, and I'm sure the rest of the community is tired of hearing this garbage between us and your cronies...let's put this to bed! C2thewater

post-1739-081534400 1277914778_thumb.jpg

wow guys..... i had 2 hours worth of work to do in the veg room and the help thread exploded :)

give me 15 minutes and i will read through it all.

in the meantime, i see that sublime and a couple of you pitched in to help while i stepped out.......... thanks a ton folks :)

believe it or not, i do get busy with my own "stuff" every now and then too :)

and finally............. i don't wanna call you folks dogs............... but........................ HEEL :)

let it go. i appreciate the help in trying to make c2thewater "see the light", but i'm pretty the 20,000 watts i dropped on him yesterday was enough.

simple misunderstanding......... it's over.

give me 5 to make some coffee and medicate real quick............ brb to answer any open questions :sword:

Buck Naked,

Yes, he is suggesting dumping and filling each week.. yes, its a lot and it gets expensive... I personally can't folow the factory recomended schedule, its just too much product for me (expense wise) But i also have a PH and EC meter to keep mine in check....

I found that 5ml (1tsp) FF Grow Big in RO water to give ~500ppm and about 4.7ph its very acidic... The bloom is worse...

I switched back to Ionic recently and founnd that the recomended doasage set me very close to target PH without a lot of adjustment...

But really man, go get a PH tester.. its not THAT expensive and what it CAN save you is worth EVERY penny...

I have the pH tester just dont have one for everything else i am supost to be testing for... and just cant afford to buy an meter that checks for the other stuff atm

oh I am useing tap water from my well... i have to lower the ph so am glad I have the pH meter

I was going to try Ionic at first but was advised to go foxfarm

here's a decent judgment pic for you.

the tote is only 10 gallons, but a 20 gallon tote is just a few inches wider/longer/deeper. and this plant is only 5ft tall or so.

so the tote would be just a touch bigger, and depending on strain, your plant will be considerably bigger/wider.

med_gallery_13801_60_1517540.jpg

Nice Plant!!! Oh, and nice legs!!! :thumbsu:

so every single week you want me to flush all the resiviours? so sorry i am asking the same questions over and over I am just not understanding

what I hear you say is dump all the water every week not just every other week and put the nuts in per week....

if sublime's answer didnt do it for ya let us know and we'll try again :) somethings are just hard to explain/understand.......... but we WILL get ya there ;)

Buck Naked,

good answer. thanks.

yes. it does/can get expensive. i use my old nute water to water my house plants, but other than that, it gets dumped.

Can I do the Lucas method with Ionic Bloom for Hard water?

Thanks,

Blake

when i dont know, i dont know. BUT, i do know approx. where some info on this subject is located in one of Lucas' archived threads. my first inclination is to tell you yes, you will be fine, but you will have either a cal or mag problem........... but i do remember he posted the numbers/solution for it. if you are going to give it a shot, let me know and i will dig it up.

if you have never read/heard about Lucas' findings, they are something. page after page of just rambling numbers. his threads weren't like ours :) he would just log on and type and type and type to nobody, for no reason. and his eloquent speech and extreme terminology dang near require a dictionary to get through. but in the end, the dude is the Einstein of nutes and had the fundage to experiment with anything he pleased. amazing stuff.

i have a question about the light bill how much does it run per month for a 100 watt run at 18/6 with a window air conditoner thanx

electrical cost finder. grow light cost per watt.

http://www.hydroponi...amp_op_cost.asp

if sublime's answer didnt do it for ya let us know and we'll try again :) somethings are just hard to explain/understand.......... but we WILL get ya there ;)

good answer. thanks.

yes. it does/can get expensive. i use my old nute water to water my house plants, but other than that, it gets dumped.

ok what I think I am gonna try is just adding the extra nuts the second week to my already exsisting water resivoirs and see if it does ok.. if not ill compleatly redo the water and nuts weekly but I dont have money to buy the extra pH down chems atm so ill cut corners this week till I can afford the pH down next week then start doing weekly resiviour changes

med_gallery_13801_60_14860.jpg

we are going to play this on the "safe side" since you do not have a TDS meter and what-not.

ok, for the very first line on the chart (seedlings and cuttings) use nutes as directed and then totally dump everything after a week. that week is now over and the seedlings are rooted, your bucket/tote is empty, and we are ready to start week #1.

ok. lets say i am using a 10 gallon tote to grow in. a 10 gallon tote with a 6" net pot in the lid will take up the top 6" of the rez, so in total, our rez will hold 6 gallons of water.

6 gallons fills the bucket/tote to the bottom of the net pot.

lets start at the week #1 line on the feed chart above.

our tote is empty. we need 6 fresh gallons to get us going. the week #1 line on the chart calls for 2tsp/gal Grow Big and 1tbl/gal Big Bloom. so we fill the tote with 6 gallons of water first. next we add 12 teaspoons of Grow Big.

2 teaspoons per gallon, and we have 6 gallons of water.

so, 12 tsp Grow Big and then 6tbl Big Bloom goes in next. mix this all up real good, put an air stone in it, get it bubbling, and let it set for an hour. check the ph. add phUP/DOWN to get to your desired ph level. now we have a "fresh rez". remember "fresh rez" because you gonna see it quite a few times :)

ok, week one is going along....... at this time, the plants arent going to be drinking more than a few drops because they are so little. you may not have to backfill any water at all. in some rooms, depending on conditions and bucket/tote construction, you may have some evaporation. at any rate, if you need to add water to the rez during the first week, mix up a gallon (milk jug or whatever) of water and 2tsp/gal Grow Big and 1tbl/gal Big Bloom, add phUP/DOWN to get to your desired ph level, and dump in as much as you need to maintain the correct water level for your system.

ok, week one is over and now we start week #2. nothing changes in week #2. everything stays the same. if you need to backfill any water because the plants drank some, or because of evaportaion, continue to mix up a gallon (milk jug or whatever) of water and 2tsp/gal Grow Big and 1tbl/gal Big Bloom, add phUP/DOWN to get to your desired ph level, and dump in as much as you need to maintain the correct water level for your system.

congrats :) we made it through 2 weeks. time for a "rez change". a rez change is COMPLETELY DUMPING EVERYTHING out of the tote and starting with a "fresh rez" (remember that one :) )

ok, empty tote, because its rez change time. now we need a fresh rez. on the chart, week #3 calls for 3tsp/gal Grow Big and 2 drops per gallon of Rinse. so we mix another fresh rez. 6 gallons of water, 18 teaspoons of Grow Big and 12 drops of Rinse.... bubble it for an hour.... check ph..... add UP/DOWN to reach your desired level and put your plants back in. now week #3 can begin. if during week #3 you need to backfill any water because the plants drank some, or because of evaporation, continue to mix up a gallon (milk jug or whatever) of water and 3tsp/gal Grow Big and 2 drops of rinse, add phUP/DOWN to get to your desired ph level, and dump in as much as you need to maintain the correct water level for your system.

week #3 is over and we begin week #4. the nutes have changed for week #4 as you can see. if during week #4 you need to backfill any water, mix a gallon using the numbers for week #4 and dump it in. the start of week #5 calls for another rez change. dump the bucket/tote completely and make a fresh rez using the nutes on the chart for week #5.

-------------ok, i think this should do it as far as explaining it for ya :) the only thing we havent got to is the "nutrient flush" at the end of week #6. a "flush" is completely dumping the tote and filling with 6 gallons of fresh water ONLY for 24 hours or so. then dump that water completely out and make a fresh rez using week #7 nutes and begin week #7 of growth........ and so on. :)

one thing i notice isnt on this chart that really MUST be done is a final flush. depending on your strain and when you want to harvest it, you need to figure out a good time to start your final flush. it is "accepted" to flush for 3-5 days. most people flush for the final 7-10 days of the plants life . this final flush is just clean water at your desired ph level. some people choose to add "cleaners" at this time but i normally do not myself. 10 days is enough :)

this should help man :)

if it doesnt, p.m. me and i am driving to your house!!! hahahaha