Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

I posted this elsewhere, but someone recommended that i repost the question in this thread:

I have heard people say that some vegetables and/or herbs are very good to grow along with your cannabis. Not necessarily in the same pots, but in the same room. Has anyone ever done this and found that there are vegetables or fruits or herbs whose very presence (and gaseous output, presumably) benefit the growth of cannabis?

Has anyone known of particular things NOT to grow in the same room as cannabis? are there things that have been shown to be bad to grow alongside the cannabis?

Thanks in advance for all of your great advice!

I posted this elsewhere, but someone recommended that i repost the question in this thread:

I have heard people say that some vegetables and/or herbs are very good to grow along with your cannabis. Not necessarily in the same pots, but in the same room. Has anyone ever done this and found that there are vegetables or fruits or herbs whose very presence (and gaseous output, presumably) benefit the growth of cannabis?

Has anyone known of particular things NOT to grow in the same room as cannabis? are there things that have been shown to be bad to grow alongside the cannabis?

to my knowledge this applies mostly to outdoor growing, and refers to plants that attract benefical insects and the like

Does anyone know where to find a guide for grow times or maturation schedules for differemt strains. the site I ordered my doesn't really say. The strains I am growing are Himalayan Gold, Super Silver Haze, and White widow. If anybody knows please let me knw so I can plan the flush. Thanks Check my gallery for pics. (sorry cant put them on pages)

There are a few 'Strain Guides' here that may shed some light:

http://www.thcfarmer.com/forums/strains/

https://www.icmag.com/modules/ICStrainguide/

Himalayan Gold: (Indoors: 8 to 9 weeks )

http://www.thcfarmer.com/forums/strains/report-252/

White Widow: (flowering period: 8 weeks)

http://www.thcfarmer.com/forums/strains/report-302/

I haven't grown it, but I think I remember reading that the various SSH phenotypes had flowering times from 10 weeks up to much longer, 16+ weeks.

I use a small handheld 30x microscope to check the trichomes for maturity, something like this:

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3035001

30350-01.eps.jpg

I just use that to check trichomes near harvest time, though. I imagine it's more difficult to use it to see if you're 2-3 weeks away from harvest.

somewhat agree with absolute on this one.... well, fully agree, but there's more to it:

to my knowledge this applies mostly to outdoor growing, and refers to plants that attract benefical insects and the like

this is one reason why some outdoor growers add different species of plants to their cannabis gardens. another reason is because of the nutrients that some other plants take/leave in the soil.

the bottom line is that when growing indoors, having other plants in your room is only asking for trouble..... no to mention wasting precious light, space, and nutrients as well. indoors you do not want any added risk of bugs so other plants and pets are normally prohibited.

There are a few 'Strain Guides' here that may shed some light:

http://www.thcfarmer...forums/strains/

https://www.icmag.co.../ICStrainguide/

Himalayan Gold: (Indoors: 8 to 9 weeks )

http://www.thcfarmer...ins/report-252/

White Widow: (flowering period: 8 weeks)

http://www.thcfarmer...ins/report-302/

I haven't grown it, but I think I remember reading that the various SSH phenotypes had flowering times from 10 weeks up to much longer, 16+ weeks.

I use a small handheld 30x microscope to check the trichomes for maturity, something like this:

http://scientificson..._Q_pn_E_3035001

30350-01.eps.jpg

I just use that to check trichomes near harvest time, though. I imagine it's more difficult to use it to see if you're 2-3 weeks away from harvest.

good answer man :)

thanks for taking the time to help out!!

i was curious about making oil with methanol 99.85% pure. I have made it with iso a long time ago before I read it is bad. I have several gallons of it for use in a remote controlled nitro buggy! I am thinking of trying the butane method using a length of coppper tubing and 2 caps. Methanol?

i was curious about making oil with methanol 99.85% pure. I have made it with iso a long time ago before I read it is bad. I have several gallons of it for use in a remote controlled nitro buggy! I am thinking of trying the butane method using a length of coppper tubing and 2 caps. Methanol?

out of my realm of knowledge :)

hydro jack may be the guy to answer this one. he doesnt log on very often, but as far as i know he is one of the BHO guru's around here :)

indica jones would probably have an educated answer as well.

i use iso. sometimes i smoke it like that, and sometimes i give it away as-is to patients that like to cook.

2 things i thought of to post for the folks that are trying out new bubbletote systems. especially for those who are linking them all together and keeping things stirred up with a small water pump.

MAKE SURE to keep an eye on things when you first set everything up and plug that water pump in. gravity works slow, and if you are pumping water into the first tote at a pace that is faster than it can feed into the next tote, you will eventually overflow and have problems.

also, and this is a big one.............. BE VERY VERY VERY VERY EXTRA CAREFUL to not let a single hydroton pebble fall into any totes. if a clay pebble becomes lodged in one of your tubes and it blocks water flow you will no doubt end up pumping nute water out onto the floor.

What does it mean when leaves fish hook? Right along side a plant that has most of her leaves curled under. Same nutes and stuff? wth is going on 7weeks of flower and theyre doing fairly well, except the lime green color instead of nice dark green. Maybe some nute lockout because of highh temps. 85* IDK can u help so I can do better next time? Thanks Buds aerent really dense either. 600w HPS 6x6 room 3 plants in FFOF 4gal pots.????

What does it mean when leaves fish hook? Right along side a plant that has most of her leaves curled under. Same nutes and stuff? wth is going on 7weeks of flower and theyre doing fairly well, except the lime green color instead of nice dark green. Maybe some nute lockout because of highh temps. 85* IDK can u help so I can do better next time? Thanks Buds aerent really dense either. 600w HPS 6x6 room 3 plants in FFOF 4gal pots.????

Any pictures?

This is a complicated situation. It could be a number of things. It could be too much nitrogen in your soil or it could be lacking nitrogen. However I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar that it's a nitrogen issue. More than likely a lack thereof considering the stage of growth you're at.

Usually when too much nitrogen is present the older leaves will be very dark green in color, the newer growth will be a bright green, almost yellow in color and the tips of the leaves may yellow or appear burnt and the leave tips will curl under.

Lack of nitrogen expresses the same symptoms however the entire plant will exhibit a very light green, almost yellow, coloring.

Growth will become stunted in both situations. However a severe lack of nitrogen will undoubtedly exhibit a much more severe growth stunt and unfortunately will also diminish the yield significantly if a severe lack of nitrogen is present during mid-late bloom. In both instances the leaf curling is dubbed the "nitro claw" or "clawing".

My thoughts are that, the plants exhibiting these symptoms, have used up what little nitrogen is left in the soil and are beginning thier break down final bloom process. But it's too difficult to speculate without images or more information on your feeding/watering schedule....

The main stem leaves are pale green , and and some of the leaves are curled up and brown and crispy looking. The plant beside her has alot of the small leaves curling under with the same feedings and water. All 3 have alot of lower leaves yellowing and falling off which is fairly normal from what I've read. I think the nitrogen deficiency thing sounds about right, because of the leaves having a really pale color, even leaves from the buds on tops are a pale. If you could go to my gallery at

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/gallery/image/2215-2010-08-07-100130-1jpg/

and take a look at the pic 8-7-10 10.01.30 , on the right lower side of pic (zoomed) you will see the fish hooked up leaves. The left side top of the pic shows another plant that has the curled under entire leaves. IDKWTF to change to correct either problem! No complaints from super silver haze with exactly the same treatment. Go figure??? I now see why people find a strain they like and stick with it - so you dont have to try to figure out the growing characteristict of every dang plant out there, or at least 3 at once!!!

BTW thanks for the help everyone! I mean it bigtime! I am very pleased with the progress of my plants as you can see from my last upload of pics into my gallery I gave them one more final shot of Humboldt Nutrients "Big Up" powder on Sunday and I'm hoping they respond positively, and I know they will! Thanks again for helping me grow some awesome looking buds in my modest 6x9 closet medical grow room!

Yea... Just as I figured.

Here's what I think is going on. It appears to me that the majority of your plants are undoubtedly Sativa dominant. Because of this you'll notice two things. One is the bud structure will inherently be less dense and more sparse than more Indica dominant strains. That is a Sativa trait and really the only way to get high yields on Sativas is to grow them huge and be very patient to let them finish blooming... Also what you'll notice is how they don't look anywhere near finished even at 7 weeks. This is because they are more than likely going to bloom for a good 10-12 weeks, possibly even longer...

Now for the color of the leaves and the "clawing", what I see going on, and it makes even more sense now seeing the genetics of the plant, is because of them being so Sativa dominant they may have required some more nitrogen for a couple weeks into the bloom phase metabolic switch. Sativas tend to feed on less nitrogen than Indica dominant plants but they require a much steadier supply of it throughout the growth cycle. So they are definitely starving for nitrogen

At this point what I would recommend is get a light mixture of something high in nitrogen, such as FoxFarms Grow Big, and water in steady with every other watering. I would use a very very light solution at something like 1-3mL per Gallon. That should help the plant finish up blooming. But at this point, any damage done because of the lack of nitrogen is pretty much irreversible.

I thought I had a nitro deficiency problem over 3 weeks ago so I had some high nitro concentrate lawn food. 36-6-6 I gave a light dose to them once but didn't get any response, and was afraid of screwing up the flavor of the bud, or burning them since they were flowering. Should I give them a bit more, or what should I do?I was unsure about that but I thought I remembered something about nitrogen making more chlorophyll and causing a harsh flavor in the final product. I have been using Humboldt big up powder as a suppliment to Sensi Bloom A & B . Thanks for your reply

Per bubblegrowers advice (thanx again) I am supplementing my girls light with some indoor light. My room isn't finished so I've had them outside. So I hav them under 1 35watt and 1 40 watt cool white florecemt.

But room they r in is very well insulated and warm.. At 215pm it was 82 in there, 5 minutes ago it read 88 degrees in there.. I have 2 fans in there to try and circulate some air and cool it down... How much can it hurt my plants if it wants to stay at say 80-90 degrees in there? It will only be from around 7pm-midnight they are in there but I'm curious.. Any advice??

since they are only under fluoro and not HID lighting, IMO if you keep the air flowing you should be fine for that short amount of time. ;)

plants as small as yours, under HID lamps with those temps may be too much stress, but i think you'll be fine. we have cooler days coming soon too :)

JUST GET THAT ROOM FINISHED :sword:

:)

I was just thinking of taking that light out and rigging it up in the house somewhere so it will be cooler, I was thinking about using a tote actually lol.. That's my project for the night when I get home... It makes me uncomfortable having them in that kind of heat being so small lol

I thought I had a nitro deficiency problem over 3 weeks ago so I had some high nitro concentrate lawn food. 36-6-6 I gave a light dose to them once but didn't get any response, and was afraid of screwing up the flavor of the bud, or burning them since they were flowering. Should I give them a bit more, or what should I do?I was unsure about that but I thought I remembered something about nitrogen making more chlorophyll and causing a harsh flavor in the final product. I have been using Humboldt big up powder as a suppliment to Sensi Bloom A & B . Thanks for your reply

?

hi kgb.

to be 100% honest, i missed your first post, and then THCfarmer stepped in. i saw that he was responding pretty heavy so i stayed out of it.

ive never used lawn food on my plants man :) sorry i cant be help there.

i would say what he said :)

"At this point what I would recommend is get a light mixture of something high in nitrogen, such as FoxFarms Grow Big, and water in steady with every other watering. I would use a very very light solution at something like 1-3mL per Gallon. That should help the plant finish up blooming. But at this point, any damage done because of the lack of nitrogen is pretty much irreversible"