Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

ok, what size container? and how much water per container?

the container is tapered and its 9"x9" at the top and 6"X6" at the bottom and 10" tall. i hand water them until they need watering more than once per day, then i connect them to a drip system and water them twice a day and increase as they need it to a max of every 2 hrs for 12mins.

When i hand water them, they usually take 1/4 to 1/2 gallon per plant depending on how much i let them dry out. i hope that is what you were looking for when asking how much water per container

I can't find the thread where people were posting the bubble bucket pics. i think it was in the tutorial threads but there are no comments in those threads now.

Anyway....

I wanted to put up some pics and say thanks to bubblegrower. I built my first buckets thanks to bubblegrower and his tutorial. followed it and exactly and so far its working well. THANK YOU!!

i peel the paper off and put them in a white plastic container. hydroton basically surrounding the cube on all sides. it gave me a much more robust root system like this instead of just using the cubes. the cubes are probably 4" above the bottom but there are lots of roots growing out the container. unfortunately this is something i changed recently and has not helped my problem at all :(

med_gallery_16726_270_512766.jpg

med_gallery_16726_270_261252.jpg

med_gallery_16726_270_131863.jpg

what the hell?? :)

dude, what you have happening here?? give me wide angle shots. :) i like pics :)

the container is tapered and its 9"x9" at the top and 6"X6" at the bottom and 10" tall. i hand water them until they need watering more than once per day, then i connect them to a drip system and water them twice a day and increase as they need it to a max of every 2 hrs for 12mins.

When i hand water them, they usually take 1/4 to 1/2 gallon per plant depending on how much i let them dry out. i hope that is what you were looking for when asking how much water per container

its late and i could be wrong..... but i think you are missing the boat if you are looking for DWC in bubbles :(

nothing you have there is exactly like anything i posted??

yours

i peel the paper off and put them in a white plastic container. hydroton basically surrounding the cube on all sides. it gave me a much more robust root system like this instead of just using the cubes. the cubes are probably 4" above the bottom but there are lots of roots growing out the container. unfortunately this is something i changed recently and has not helped my problem at all :(

med_gallery_16726_270_512766.jpg

med_gallery_16726_270_261252.jpg

med_gallery_16726_270_131863.jpg

mine:

med_gallery_13801_60_1211953.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_851569.jpg

I can't find the thread where people were posting the bubble bucket pics. i think it was in the tutorial threads but there are no comments in those threads now.

Anyway....

I wanted to put up some pics and say thanks to bubblegrower. I built my first buckets thanks to bubblegrower and his tutorial. followed it and exactly and so far its working well. THANK YOU!!

med_gallery_16726_270_75489.jpg

see 2 of my buckets here and the containers in the back?

and you can see the containers in this pic and 2 more buckets on the far left

med_gallery_16726_270_825449.jpg

sorry if i wasn't more clear. i have the buckets going and just did a few because i was not sure how they would turn out for me. i have been using the rockwool cubes for like 15yrs and wanted to try something different. i was going to try soil again but i saw your tutorial and decided to try some bubble buckets. so i am doing both the buckets and containers now for some side by side tests.

the bubble buckets seem to make the plant more sensitive for me on my first try compared to the cubes and one is already showing these signs so hopefully i can get this corrected once and for all.

Edited by michigan.mmma

ok, but in a bubblebucket, you have a good amount of aerated/bubbled nute/water that your roots just lay in all day. and its like at least 3-4 gallons of water per plant??

just trying to get ya figured out :) you said that you took my advice...... but im not seeing anything i would advise in there?? :)

yes i have that in the buckets - lucas formula, water topped of and leveled up with the correct ppm/ph. adding full strength each time in the buckets. they are pretty balanced.

med_gallery_16726_270_195183.jpg

whats even more frustrating is that i helped a friend get set up on his first grow. i basically set him up with the exact same setup as me with the 6" cubes and drip system - same nutes - everything.

major difference is that he uses well water and i use city/tap and recently RO. The only other difference could be my environment is a little more aggressive with the temps and co2 levels.

BUT- he is not having any of the problems on the leaves that i am. thats when i started using the RO water thinking that was my problem but i had the same issue. i thought i had a lockout of some kind because they shouldn't have that kind of def on the lucas formula right? or maybe just a deficiency because my room is setup different and i am not adding enough of some element??? i have no idea......

couple things.......... first, lets concentrate on this plant:

more pics? what strain? lets focus on this one beauty right here. we will get this one to finish large and you can take the necessary notes along the way :)

2nd............ where did this 6" rockwool idea come from?? im not getting it? 6" rockwool cubes are for ebb-n-flow or aero systems?? big rockwool=big water in a bubblebucket/tote.... and thats bad.

3rd............. CO2? for real? dump it. figure out your plants before you figure out how to calibrate a co2 system. trust me.

4th......... you said you now have r.o. water?? is the plant pictured above in r.o. water now?

couple things.......... first, lets concentrate on this plant:

more pics? what strain? lets focus on this one beauty right here. we will get this one to finish large and you can take the necessary notes along the way :)

ok. this strain i am not exactly sure what it is. i got cuts from someone i met on this board who said it was apollo. thats all i know about it so it could be anything really. at the time it was all i had access to. i recently obtained some genetics from reputable seed companies but it will take a few weeks before any of that is integrated. for what its worth, i have another strain in the same room with the same symptoms. there are also more pics in my gallery but i will add some more

2nd............ where did this 6" rockwool idea come from?? im not getting it? 6" rockwool cubes are for ebb-n-flow or aero systems?? big rockwool=big water in a bubblebucket/tote.... and thats bad.

rockwool cubes are what i have used for 15+ years and had good results. i have a side by side you can see in some of those pics. the larger plants i have in the bubble buckets - there are 2 - and there are two in the white containers right next to them. they all look about the same right now but i hope the bubble buckets take off and blow the cubes away - then i can just switch to the bubble buckets. i want to see if the bubble bucket plants can survive the heat of this flowering room.(i have two flowering rooms , one with a natural gas co2 generator that is very hot but larger and one with a co2 tank and regulator that is much cooler but smaller) i did use the rockwool cubes in an ebb&flow system in the 2'X4' trays with a 20 gallon reservoir for each and it worked great. i had everything dialed in really nice....... until about a year ago LEO came to my home and borrowed all my equipment. They have not returned any of it yet so i have to make due with what i can get my hands on. they also gave me a nice felony so i can only do 12 now :(

i only put 2 plants in each 2X4 tray because thats all i can really do with the numbers i am working with. i used to grow more small plants, now i am just doing less but making them larger. theres no way i can fill the huge reservoirs for the small plant numbers now especially for only two in a tray so i made much smaller reservoirs, located them outside the room and hooked them up to a recirculating drip system. the cops left the trays so i am still using them for now. that is why i am looking at new methods like soil or the bubble buckets. i had to take the only clones i could get and use the equipment i had and could afford because they took all of me to less than zero in every way imaginable. i was desperate and took what i could get and now i am trying to make due with what i have. i used to be a nice person so i loaned a lot of equipment to people that needed it and when i lost everything, they returned it and that is how i have some equipment to work with.

3rd............. CO2? for real? dump it. figure out your plants before you figure out how to calibrate a co2 system. trust me.

i have used it for years with no problems but i can easily switch it off. No problemo :) i have each unit on a monitor/controller and also the warmer room has an environmental controller to keep everything in check.

4th......... you said you now have r.o. water?? is the plant pictured above in r.o. water now?

Yes this plant in the pic is in RO water now. on the meter it tested 0 to start with. My bubble buckets do not have any problems yet but they have only been in 12/12 since 8/23 - it usually starts about the 2nd week into flowering. with these two buckets i am testing one with RO and one with my tap water and the one with tap water looks like its starting to go that route. i will keep a close eye on them. to make it easy, we can just work with the one bubble bucket only with the RO and forget the cubes and everything else. I forgot to mention the bubble buckets only have a 1.5" cube in the basket and not a large cube.

the more i type this the more complicated it sounds. i have other strains that i have used this new method of drip instead of the flood and drain and didnt have these problems. i just like this strain very much because it makes great BHO and i wanted to try to get it dialed in. i have just acquired some new strains - new york city diesel, super lemon haze, burmese kush, and jack herer all from amsterdam so maybe i should wait to bother you for help once i get those going so we know for sure what strains we are dealing with. Hopefully those won't have any problems.

ok i may have spoken a bit soon :)

i couldnt understand ya for the life of me...... but im getting the picture now :)

i was thinking that you were shoving 6" rockwool cubes into netpots and filling in the edges with hydroton. i was saying that there's no reason for such a big cube in a little bubblebucket :) as a matter of fact, a 2" cube is much better. less chance of root rot with a smaller cube.

and as far as the CO2, turn it back on if you wish :) i was under the impression that you were a fairly newer grower trying to handle way too many things at one time. i see now that you arent a newer grower, just a grower trying a few methods at the same time.

i think you will find the best results with the bubblebuckets.

So here is my problem. All through vegetative phase everything is fine. 1st week of flowering is good but in the second week some interveinal chlorosis starts on the lower older leaves. This progresses and gets worse everyday until the plants are fried and growth comes to a halt. i have been having this problem for the last few months and have been trying many different things to fix this.I thought it was something in my water so did some side by side tests with RO water and had the same problem. I tried ionic, botanicare, and GH Lucas formula and got the same problem. i have tried moving them away from the lights, trying them under T-5 8 bulb instead of 600W HPS with the same problem. I've tried different strengths of each nutrient. I've tried adding Mg because i thought for a long time it was a Mg deficiency. I did side by side tests adding no Mg, Cal-Mag but no Mg, CalMag with Mg, foliar apply Mg, and different levels up to 1 tsp per gallon in the reservoir. (maybe i needed more but the ppms go up so high when adding it.) i thought it was heat issues then light burn issues and every variable i change, they react the same way. its frustrating because i work my tail off in the veg stage and get them going good then when i flower them they go downhill and its a waste. i grow them up in veg then experiment, the same thing happens, then do it all over again.i am using 6'rockwool cubes in tubs surrounded by hydroton and just started a couple bubble buckets. 2 600W aircooled HPS w/Magnum XXXL hoods and a T5 8 bulb in flowering, co2 generator, mid to high 80's and 50-60% humidity. i am currently using the GH lucas formula for nutes to keep it simple and its supposed to have plenty of Mg so i figured i'd give that a shot. after a few weeks on lucas formula, they are still having problems so i am trying a tsp/gal pk boost because some of the pics look to me like a K or P deficiency. pics in my gallery show the symptoms on the leaves as they progress through flowering. it starts at the bottom larger older leaves then the large leaves at the top of the plant are affected. It starts to yellow from the outside in, getting very thin and papery feeling. you can see the progression in the pics if you look close and it ends up drying out totally.i appreciate any help i can get on this. i am about out of ideas to try here. Thanks

michigan.mmma.... Not sure if you figured this out yet? I have seen this before, and have a few questions... First, what is your nute/res situation at the onset on 12/12? i.e. Do you switch to flower nutes when you switch the timer to 12/12? What do YOU consider proper pH? Do you get crazy pH swings below 5.0 and/or above 6.0? Have you calibrated your pH pen? Where in the room are you taking your temp and humidity readings? i.e. on wall, near fan, near the tops of plants? How close is your light? What wattage and coverage area are you running in this area? Do you have a pic of your Light and Exhaust system?

If you have figured it out, please elaborate for the next guy... I searched like a Med Scientist trying to figure this out (lol), and the only thing I ever found online was "pH related Nute Lockout", which I think was only part of the problem!

Good Luck!

Not sure if you figured this out yet? I have seen this before, and have a few questions... First, what is your nute/res situation at the onset on 12/12? i.e. Do you switch to flower nutes when you switch the timer to 12/12?

I have not figured this out yet unfortunately. At the onset of 12/12 for the past few attempts at this strain, i had a transition nutrient mix which was 50/50- veg/bloom of Pure Blend Pro then after that just bloom nutes. I am using the lucas formula now to makes things as simple as possible so when i change to 12/12 its the same nutrients.

What do YOU consider proper pH? Do you get crazy pH swings below 5.0 and/or above 6.0? Have you calibrated your pH pen?

I consider proper pH b/t 5.5-6.0 in hydro. lately when i mix the nutes they are very stable and i have not been getting any crazy swings high or low. I usually mix nutes and its about 5.7-5.8 and i leave it. I calibrate/check the pen a couple times a week. it hardly ever needs adjusting. i also have a back up i compare readings with and a friend brought a meter over and it checks out fine.

Where in the room are you taking your temp and humidity readings? i.e. on wall, near fan, near the tops of plants?

I have an environmental controller that has a sensor that is near the tops of the plants in the middle of the room. i also have two other thermometer/hygrometers in the room - one about 1 1/2 feet lower and one near a wall. Temps are mid to high 80's and humidity 55-60%.

How close is your light? What wattage and coverage area are you running in this area? Do you have a pic of your Light and Exhaust system?

I have two 600W HPS air-cooled magnum XXXLs that each cover a 2'X4' tray. both are on a light rail and currently about 8" from the tops. i usually put them closer but these i thought may be sensitive to so much light so raised it a bit. when i switch them to 12/12 they are under a T5 8 bulb(6500K) in the same room then move under the HPS to try to keep from stretching.

med_gallery_16726_270_478511.jpg

If you have figured it out, please elaborate for the next guy... I searched like a Med Scientist trying to figure this out (lol), and the only thing I ever found online was "pH related Nute Lockout", which I think was only part of the problem! Good Luck!

i know what you mean - i have been trying to figure it out for a while now and have seen many others online with the same type of problem. i have tried and changed so many variables(nutes, ph, temperature, light intensity, etc) and get the same results at the end. it does seem like nutrient lockout because i have added individual elements trying to see what/if it was a deficiency and did not see a change with anything i added.

let me know if you have any ideas from all the searching you have done!

First, let me say... What a fantastic responce to my questions.... You painted an excellent picture for us to follow!

I have not exactly pinpointed the exact problem('s), but I have been able to move past it by making several modifications to the environment. One of the major concerns is... each 600w light is covering a 2'x 4' @ 75w/ft2. I would try to bring both of those trays together and eliminate 1 light alltogether. You will still be @ 37.5w/ft2, and it will also help to bring the temp down a bit, which I do think is a contributing factor, and/or find another way to reduce the heat. You have also fell into the Lucas Veg Trap I did. Lucas does not have a veg formula. Go back to using PBP veg formula through the 2nd week of 12/12, then don't change the res, just top off with Lucas Formula 0-8-16ml w/tap, or add 5 ml/g CalMag w/RO. If you start getting the leaf discoloration again, switch to Lucas Formula @ 0-10-20 ml. I have also kept ph between 5.3 and 6.1 (avg 5.7). If is drifts within this range.. let it. Your humidity is in a good range, so by making those other modifications, I believe you can move past "the Crispies" too. Yeah, it sucked for a while, so I named it!

Good Luck!

BTW - I have reasons for each modification and did not elaborate too much, If you dont understand why any of the modifications were recommended, just ask. I wanted to get my responce back to you as quick as possible, and didn't want to write a book.