Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

First, let me say... What a fantastic responce to my questions.... You painted an excellent picture for us to follow!

I have not exactly pinpointed the exact problem('s), but I have been able to move past it by making several modifications to the environment. One of the major concerns is... each 600w light is covering a 2'x 4' @ 75w/ft2. I would try to bring both of those trays together and eliminate 1 light alltogether. You will still be @ 37.5w/ft2, and it will also help to bring the temp down a bit, which I do think is a contributing factor, and/or find another way to reduce the heat. You have also fell into the Lucas Veg Trap I did. Lucas does not have a veg formula. Go back to using PBP veg formula through the 2nd week of 12/12, then don't change the res, just top off with Lucas Formula 0-8-16ml w/tap, or add 5 ml/g CalMag w/RO. If you start getting the leaf discoloration again, switch to Lucas Formula @ 0-10-20 ml. I have also kept ph between 5.3 and 6.1 (avg 5.7). If is drifts within this range.. let it. Your humidity is in a good range, so by making those other modifications, I believe you can move past "the Crispies" too. Yeah, it sucked for a while, so I named it!

Good Luck!

BTW - I have reasons for each modification and did not elaborate too much, If you dont understand why any of the modifications were recommended, just ask. I wanted to get my responce back to you as quick as possible, and didn't want to write a book.

Thanks for the help! it is very appreciated!

I will try that and see how it works out. i actually was only using one of the 600s until recently. i thought light/heat was a problem so i moved the plants farther from the light and just used one 600 and one t5 in that room which brought the temp to about 78-80. i was surprised to see the crispies at this temperature.

im not sure if light saturation/bleaching could be a factor because i see damage so low on the plant, but i have brand new bulbs in both 600s. in the past as just a hobby grower, i was never that concerned with replacing the bulbs as often as was recommended as long as things were growing well. So maybe i am not used to these lights being so intense and that is part of the problem. i assumed light saturation was not the problem because the damage is on older leaves first and leaves at the top and bottom of the plant - not just the top. Is that still possible to get damage lower on the plants or would problems from lights just be on the top of the plant?

Also i forgot to mention another symptom of this condition - the branches become very weak and droop. i have been LST this strain and everything is even at the top, then at about 4 weeks into 12/12 with only small buds on the branches, they all start to droop and sag.

thanks again for the help. i will give this a try and see how it works out. let me know if you have any other ideas.

I need HELP...

I'm starring at my 3rd complete failure in a ROW..

I... CAN NOT... SUCK ...THIS BAD..

First 2 rounds where in Aero/NFT.. Both failed at the 2-3 week mark

Third round I'm in "Just Right" soil less... https://ssl.cgicafe.com/clients/hmoonhydro.com/just_right_xtra.html

I'm in my 2-3rd week and failing..

I'm showing the signs of PH fluctuation, just like the last 2 times..

Everything in the room looks more like this (borrowed from Ganja Guerrilla)

What I don't get is that the Just Right says it's PH buffered and every time I've checked run-off PH it's a SOLID 7.0.. PPM of run off has been coming down but started at 1400-1600ppm and is now at 1200-1400ppm..

Temp - never above 80 at ANY point..

Humidity - light on: 40%, light off: 40-70%

Co2 - 1500ppm (light on)

Thank you.. :(

(spent time crafting this post and i CANT use the IMG code..?? WTF)

I need HELP...

Third round I'm in "Just Right" soil less... https://ssl.cgicafe.com/clients/hmoonhydro.com/just_right_xtra.html

What I don't get is that the Just Right says it's PH buffered and every time I've checked run-off PH it's a SOLID 7.0.. PPM of run off has been coming down but started at 1400-1600ppm and is now at 1200-1400ppm..

Co2 - 1500ppm (light on)

Which way is ph going?

I have pics of whats going on in my gallery, i dont know why but neither the boards IMG tag wouldnt work, nore the ones i typed in myself... trying to link the pics in my gallery

(been workin teh forumz for yearz)

Everything is gone yellow, some leaves dry up and fall off, while others look bleached and are leathery(not dry) when they look brittle???

(sorry back home and on my phone again)

I was wondering if one of you more distinguished members might be willing to take a personal look?

I'd pay for gas and provide lunch/dinner?

As it is, this round is done-for... :o( But maybe there is something glareing that i'm missing???

I don't understand, I'm a scientist by trade (well was, before the lay-off/unemployment) and have quite the ''lab'' to work in... I have accounted for everything I can think of, enviroment wise...???

I JUST DON'T GET IT...

Please PM me if willing..

Thank You

I need HELP...

Co2 - 1500ppm (light on)

I have never used Just Right Soilless Mix, but I have grown with coco and soil before. Soil as you allready know likes ph near 7.0. I had great results running the ph in Coco at 5.8. I noticed that the Just Right Mix is made with Coco and buffered at 7.0, so I would guess that the plants are not responding well to the higher ph? I would probably take 1 plant aside and try feeding it with water/nutes at about 5.0 to see if you can average the ph in the mix below 6.0. If it works, I would flush the containters a few times with the lower ph to remove most of the buffers/nutes in the mix. Allthough, repotting with a known mix would be ideal.

I have never used Just Right Soilless Mix, but I have grown with coco and soil before. Soil as you allready know likes ph near 7.0. I had great results running the ph in Coco at 5.8. I noticed that the Just Right Mix is made with Coco and buffered at 7.0, so I would guess that the plants are not responding well to the higher ph? I would probably take 1 plant aside and try feeding it with water/nutes at about 5.0 to see if you can average the ph in the mix below 6.0. If it works, I would flush the containters a few times with the lower ph to remove most of the buffers/nutes in the mix. Allthough, repotting with a known mix would be ideal.

Thanks man, I'll try, I just don't get it.. It almost seems environmental, but I can't see WHAT.. I mean 3 tries all ending the same way? 2 different mediums?

My set-up can be seen in the gallery..

Thanks for the help! it is very appreciated!

I will try that and see how it works out. i actually was only using one of the 600s until recently. i thought light/heat was a problem so i moved the plants farther from the light and just used one 600 and one t5 in that room which brought the temp to about 78-80. i was surprised to see the crispies at this temperature.

im not sure if light saturation/bleaching could be a factor because i see damage so low on the plant, but i have brand new bulbs in both 600s. in the past as just a hobby grower, i was never that concerned with replacing the bulbs as often as was recommended as long as things were growing well. So maybe i am not used to these lights being so intense and that is part of the problem. i assumed light saturation was not the problem because the damage is on older leaves first and leaves at the top and bottom of the plant - not just the top. Is that still possible to get damage lower on the plants or would problems from lights just be on the top of the plant?

Also i forgot to mention another symptom of this condition - the branches become very weak and droop. i have been LST this strain and everything is even at the top, then at about 4 weeks into 12/12 with only small buds on the branches, they all start to droop and sag.

thanks again for the help. i will give this a try and see how it works out. let me know if you have any other ideas.

I also tryed changing everything to rid "the Crispies". Paying close attn to ph, ppm, humidity...etc. Then I noticed the parts of the plant that were shaded and/or grew above the hood's light were still green as can be, it seemed to affect the plant from bottom to top when in the light. As far as the droop and sag, could be another prob alltogether. I recently lost a plant to sag and droop in the middle of an Aero table, and all the other plants were unaffected. During the autopsy, I discovered the stem slid down through the neoprene and developed Stem Rot probably from staying too wet. I did clip a couple clones from her, and they perked right up and are rooting. Check the droopy plants for stem rot and/or overwatering (low D.O.). Do you have a fan blowing over the canopy to increase the strength of the stems?

Good Luck!

I also tryed changing everything to rid "the Crispies". Paying close attn to ph, ppm, humidity...etc. Then I noticed the parts of the plant that were shaded and/or grew above the hood's light were still green as can be, it seemed to affect the plant from bottom to top when in the light. As far as the droop and sag, could be another prob alltogether. I recently lost a plant to sag and droop in the middle of an Aero table, and all the other plants were unaffected. During the autopsy, I discovered the stem slid down through the neoprene and developed Stem Rot probably from staying too wet. I did clip a couple clones from her, and they perked right up and are rooting. Check the droopy plants for stem rot and/or overwatering (low D.O.). Do you have a fan blowing over the canopy to increase the strength of the stems?

Good Luck!

Yes i have a couple of fans in the room and one blows over the canopy.

I was hoping this was something to do with my setup and me changing over to bubble buckets would hopefully solve this problem but.....

my bubble buckets are starting to do the same thing. here are some pics showing the damage and like you said, it is starting from the bottom and working its way up. these are leaves from the plants in bubble buckets that starting flowering on 8/23.

med_gallery_16726_270_613331.jpg

med_gallery_16726_270_76765.jpg

med_gallery_16726_270_1368414.jpg

med_gallery_16726_270_285322.jpg

this is what things will look like in a few weeks:

med_gallery_16726_270_838139.jpg

the top of the plant looks fine for now but that is how the problem starts.

med_gallery_16726_270_759981.jpg

these plants were under a t5 8 bulb - not even put under the hps yet and no damage at the top of the plants yet.

anyone with ideas please let me know. i feel like i've tried everything and run out of ideas. bubble grower what do you think? these are in RO water with lucas formula. when i first saw this problem i thought it was Mg deficiency but adding Mg to the nutes or foliar feeding did not seem to make a difference.................. :(

So i'm flushing...

Starting run-off PPM is 1200-1400..

Ending PPM after 3gal of 3.0PH'ed RO (only 10-15 drops in 3gal of RO) (given 1 quart at a time) is 600ppm and 7.0-7.2 PH...

The PH won't change.. ??

At least the PPM is coming down (hopefully just right IS amended)

thanks

Under recommendation, I removed 5 from the Just Right Extra, rinsed them out in RO, and placed them BACK into 1 test section of my aero/NFT system..

There are in 300ppm of my bloom mix at 5.8 PH

the bloom mix is mixed in a gallon jug starting with a quart of RO, then it gets..(all Botanicare)

540ml Pure Blend Pro Bloom

180ml Liquid Karma

150ml Sweet

126ml Cal-Mag

Then topped with RO and shaken well...

I simply PPM the rez to desired level.. I got the recipe from the HighTimes article Harvest a Pound Every Three Weeks, Aero/NFT system, can't remember the month/year.. within the last 2yrs..

. bubble grower what do you think? these are in RO water with lucas formula. when i first saw this problem i thought it was Mg deficiency but adding Mg to the nutes or foliar feeding did not seem to make a difference.................. :(

ok im just getting back from a weird weekend........ these are like 2 weeks into flower right? maybe a bit more?

what i see seems to be occurring at the bottoms of the plants........ this is normal. these lower fan leaves are being expended MUCH quicker than in soil. the oxygen to the roots is much greater and therefore the rate of growth is as well.

now i know you had some probs that actually looked like probs before, and we gonna get em settled in the bubbles this time around :)

its strain specific, im 99% sure........ your numbers have always been good.......... but for giggles, you wanna spend the time and run me down the current ones?

all the numbers you have.

Borrowed from here for troubleshooting http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688Scroll

HYDROPONICS/Aero Ponics/Coco/Soiless/

How long has this problem been going on? Started showing in veg slightly, really got bad as soon as flower started

Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents) No, converted bedroom, can be seen in my gallery in grow rooms

What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...) First 2 failures where in Aero/NFT (DIY) the last in soilless "Just Right Extra"

What STRAIN are you growing? GreenHouse Lemon Skunk, WhiteWidow and DynaFem Power Kush

What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?) started with seed, made mothers, propagate with clones

What is the age of your plants? 8 weeks from cutting (10-20'ish days in cloner, 2-3 weeks in veg, 2 weeks in bloom

How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..) 4 weeks

How tall are the plants? 6-18"

What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? flower (more like death)

What Technique are you using? Cue?

What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.) Soilless (Just Right Extra http://www.planetnatural.com/site/just-right-soil.html )

What is the Water temperature? Room temp, unless filling

What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy? roots in the Aero/NFT system, bright white, in the soilless, brown, not slimey

What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless) botanicare Pure Blend Pro, Liquid Karma, Sweet, Cal-Mag

How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful* Bloom mix in 1gal container starting with 32oz of RO water, then

540ml Pure Blend Pro Bloom

180ml Liquid Karma

150ml Sweet

126ml Cal-Mag

Topped off with RO and shaken

Actual "amount" is whatever is needed to achieve desired PPM

How often are you feeding? (If using soiless) Continus in the aero/NFT system, fed once in the soiless mix

How often are you giving nutrients? (If using soiless) Same as above?

If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients? 4th-5th day of flower?

What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect) RO - Bloom - Karma - Sweet - Cal-Mag

What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using in the Aero/NFT system 600ppm, the one soilless feeding was 1200ppm

What is the pH of the "Tank"? 5.8 for the aero/NFT, can't change PH of the soilless mix? It's buffered to 7.0.. 3.0 PH'ed flush RO comes out 7.0-7.2

How often are you testing your pH/PPM/EC/TDS? In aero/NFT started with once a day, have backed off and test about every 3-4 days

Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equipment? yes, I calibrate weekly

When was your last watering? Flushed last night, prior watering was 3 days ago

What is your water temps? in the aero/NFT system, room temp (controlled to 75*)

When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional)been a month or better, switched to Botanicare from Ionic

How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients? 3-4 weeks

What size bulb are you using?1000w HPS

How old is the bulbs you are using? 6mo maybe of 12/12 if that

What is the distance to the canopy? currently 2ft, but can go MUCH closer (water cooled bulb)

What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)? 40-50 (day), sometimes hits 80% at night when the A/C can't pull humidity when temps get below 60 (using A/C only for humidity control ATM)

What is the canopy temperature? 70-75*

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)~15*

What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) Sealed room, 4 small fans running 24/7 to move air/Co2 in room)

Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running? See above

Is the fan blowing directly at plants?yes

Is your water HARD or SOFT? House water VERY hard, turns everything brown

What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?RO

If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap? For "hard" water, it rarely sets my PPM meter off at 200ppm, smells like eggs though, turns everything browh, well water, shallow well.. :(

If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives? Meter doesn't read below 200ppm, below that..

Are you using water from a water softener?No...RO

Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched Some yes, small lower branches clipped to propagate

Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When?Yes, Organocide and Aza-Max and some Serenity for fungal.. Every few weeks to control mites

Are plant's infected with pest'sI have some mite issues, but not anything near an infestation..

Hope this helps somehow..

Borrowed from here for troubleshooting http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688Scroll

HYDROPONICS/Aero Ponics/Coco/Soiless/

What is the pH of the "Tank"? 5.8 for the aero/NFT, can't change PH of the soilless mix? It's buffered to 7.0.. 3.0 PH'ed flush RO comes out 7.0-7.2

I am confident that things will be salvagable now that you can control the ph in the Aero/NFT. Other plants may like a ph of 7.0 in a soilless mix, but MMJ does not. For the next couple days, I would run less than full strength Lucas Formula @ 5.8 ph, and raise the light a little higher than normal until they recover. Looking over the old pics from the Aero/NFT, and comparing them to your current problem in the "Just Right Mix". I believe they were 2 totally different problems. You are on the right track now! And you are amongst Friends that can help.

Good Luck!

Guest drcanna-pest

I need HELP...

Co2 - 1500ppm (light on)

have you ever thought of saying "flower the hydro im going with soil?" there is an all in one soil on the market in michigan...ironically called 'just for michigan medical marijiana' - www.jfmmm.com

check them out...this stuff works very well and you don't need to add any nutes from start to finish!

Dr canna-pet... that is exactaly what i thought i was doing, going with the Just Right Xtra...

MedSci... You've seen the pics, i have a better idea of what i was doing wrong with the Aero/NFT system (going OCD on checking/adjusting the PH) now, so perhaps you are right, I certinly hope so..can't go on like this, ready to throw in the towel and start taking pills (took my first antibiotic in 10yrs back in the spring, never usually take pain meds, though i'm sure i should some days..)

Dr canna-pet... that is exactaly what i thought i was doing, going with the Just Right Xtra...

MedSci... You've seen the pics, i have a better idea of what i was doing wrong with the Aero/NFT system (going OCD on checking/adjusting the PH) now, so perhaps you are right, I certinly hope so..can't go on like this, ready to throw in the towel and start taking pills (took my first antibiotic in 10yrs back in the spring, never usually take pain meds, though i'm sure i should some days..)

I thought the same thing when readin Dr canna-pet's responce.. hehehe.. Thats what started this... but hey, everything happens for a reason, right? But now that you have alot of friends here at MMMA, and people like BG, you are almost guarenteed success with any form of Hydro. Your Aero/NFT area can and will be everything you were going for when you put all that time and $$$ into it (its awesome). Worst case scenerio, you start new plants and get a fresh start in there... matter of fact, if your numbers allow, take some new cuttings, we can always add later for a Perpetual Garden. Your fine craftsmanship proves you have what it takes to get the job done. Did I mention how AWESOME your room looks?

Thanks Medsci,

If i could only grow as good as i can build...lol

I'm basically looking at starting over, i have 9 in Veg right now that can take over. They are coming back from my crazy PH'ing OCD...

I guess being unemployed and having this CAN be a bad thing... lol...

I have to try and laugh, because this shiz ain't funny...

Say, Is there any validity in saying the some ferts should/shouldn't be airated?

And some should/shouldn't be circulated??

I know i read somewhere about a guy using and air stone in his ferts to raise/lower PH...???

Am I smoking too much? Or has anyone else read anything along those lines??

I have 6 ceramic stones in my cloner and 2 in my vegger on an Eco8 and my cloner always seems to run lower PH than everything else..

Thoughts? Am I crazy?