Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

OK I have noticed (only after some one pointed it out to me) that this air pump is LOUD!!!! how do I quite her down? keep in mind its an ECOAIR #5 commercial grade pump....can I build a box for it? I need a suggestion, because it is very noticeable...

I'm having the same problem. I screwed in a piece of wood onto a bucket and then I screwed the pump into the wood.

The bucket still rattles and makes a bunch of noise....

OK I have noticed (only after some one pointed it out to me) that this air pump is LOUD!!!! how do I quite her down? keep in mind its an ECOAIR #5 commercial grade pump....can I build a box for it? I need a suggestion, because it is very noticeable...

I folded up a bath towel and put it under the pump. That made a big difference.

I have a few different kinds of airstones and air tubes, all on the same brand/model pumps...and for some reason, the cheaper, blue hydro airstones are louder, and in turn make the pump they are on louder.

The larger stones are quieter, and the adjustable air tubes are the quietest of them all, so I guess maybe surface area plays a part in how loud things are? More diffuse bubbles in the same order too. Hmm...

It is 9 degrees here in the north. Six mph winds make that feel like -2, and it really does! The humidity outside says 78%, but I'm working hard to keep it above 40%. WTF? How will this efect my veg?

I've got four new plants in veg. WW and G13 are in a tote together, and after 9 days they're looking like a good match. About six inches tall, and starting to reach the edges of a six inch net pot. Free Leonard and OGKush share a tote, but Leonard is busting some roots. Leonard is about 6X6 today, but OGK is only half as big. Is this a bad pairing? Is it too soon to tell?

It is 9 degrees here in the north. Six mph winds make that feel like -2, and it really does! The humidity outside says 78%, but I'm working hard to keep it above 40%. WTF? How will this efect my veg?

I've got four new plants in veg. WW and G13 are in a tote together, and after 9 days they're looking like a good match. About six inches tall, and starting to reach the edges of a six inch net pot. Free Leonard and OGKush share a tote, but Leonard is busting some roots. Leonard is about 6X6 today, but OGK is only half as big. Is this a bad pairing? Is it too soon to tell?

believe it or not...... its colder down here :( BRRRRRRR.

a cheap "warm-air humidifier" may be necessary..... they are like $25 and could help out a ton........ i like a LOT of humidity during early and middle veg...... the more the merrier. the tents stay between 85-90%. late veg doesnt really matter quite as much........... 40-60% works for that last week or 2 of veg...... it helps harden them off and gets them ready for flower.

if you have too much of a height difference in your plants, you may need to put them in 5 gallon buckets to finish vegging........ then you can raise one closer to the light if needed.

believe it or not...... its colder down here :( BRRRRRRR.

a cheap "warm-air humidifier" may be necessary..... they are like $25 and could help out a ton........ i like a LOT of humidity during early and middle veg...... the more the merrier. the tents stay between 85-90%. late veg doesnt really matter quite as much........... 40-60% works for that last week or 2 of veg...... it helps harden them off and gets them ready for flower.

if you have too much of a height difference in your plants, you may need to put them in 5 gallon buckets to finish vegging........ then you can raise one closer to the light if needed.

It is cold!!!:notfair: I picked up a warm air humidifier today. it brought the humidity up 10%, and the temp up two degrees.

A month in veg gets me into Feb. Two months in flower puts me into April. Maybe the temps will be better come April. It seems like big plants add to the humidity. I know when I took my last four plants down, the humidity plumetted.

Thanks again Bg for all you do!

oh very very true, the amount of vegetation/space is the #1 key in humidity..... humidifiers just add to it.

i gotta be honest ......... i have never had issues like this before so i can say for certain of the differences......... cali is FULL of humidity..... im used to letting my veg plants go, and pulling humidity out of the air in flower........

winter time in MI is another world............. i have learned more of the importance of humidity in veg in the last 8 months than i have in the last 15 years and thats no joke.

do whatever is needed to get that humidity up..... bowls or buckets of water will not work in this environment......... you need humidifiers in veg.

just needed to get this down so i can link to in from the table of contents:

FINAL PRUNING BG STYLE

i have been asked how i get my "trees" so uppity and top-heavy........... and how i keep the riff-raff lower buds/shrubbery away.

here we go:

this plant is a hybrid. about 70/30-65/35 indica dominant. she grows tall, but grows HUGE/dense buds as well. when i flipped the lights to 12/12 on her, she was about 19-20" tall. that was on 9-17. like 10 days ago. she is standing about 32" now. the stretch has been on, but there is still a bit more before we are done.

this is a PERFECT time to do a "final pruning" on your trees.

here she is:

med_gallery_13801_60_1361238.jpg?t=1723862

med_gallery_13801_60_1894026.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_160546.jpg

ok, looking a little shabby along the bottom. i have not taken any clones from this plant. this plant is in a system with a bunch of others..... therefore, it can kind of get forgotten about from time to time as far as cleaning goes. anything that has come off the bottom up to this point was totally dead, brown, and actually fell off on its own.

this will be the first time that i am really getting in with some clean scissors and doing some damage.

i took the bottom 4-5 branches off. at this point in life, its pretty easy to tell what branches have grown/strectched up far enough to produce anything. all others must go. i also stripped the remaining branches of any old fan leaves or new shoots. there is just no sense in your plant wasting time/energy making growth way down here. this "scrub" is not taking in light..... therefore its not helping.

here's some after pics:

med_gallery_13801_60_1588290.jpg?t=75082056

med_gallery_13801_60_993775.jpg

and here is what was actually taken off the plant. its quite a bit..................

med_gallery_13801_60_1678031.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_72000.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_909698.jpg

from this point, until harvest day, the only leaves that i will be plucking will be more than 50% dead and already dying.

before and after:

med_gallery_13801_60_1361238.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_1588290.jpg

oh very very true, the amount of vegetation/space is the #1 key in humidity..... humidifiers just add to it.

i gotta be honest ......... i have never had issues like this before so i can say for certain of the differences......... cali is FULL of humidity..... im used to letting my veg plants go, and pulling humidity out of the air in flower........

winter time in MI is another world............. i have learned more of the importance of humidity in veg in the last 8 months than i have in the last 15 years and thats no joke.

do whatever is needed to get that humidity up..... bowls or buckets of water will not work in this environment......... you need humidifiers in veg.

Hey! I've got a concrete floor. I actually poured water on the floor for the past two nights to bring the humidity up. This warm air humidifier is the cats behind. It sure is a balancing act right now.

Yeah mine are a little different, not overly that loud either until I mount them to a stud :lol: I don't know why I didn't think of that though :D I knew I kept you around for something! :D

yeah im like that nasty cousin that you hate to be around............ but occasionally i can get you out of the family reunion and get you high so ya kinda gotta stay cool with me :)

hang the commercial pumps from the ceiling via bungee cord.

:thumbsu: Just hung both of mine up and it's nice and quiet now!!

Thanks!

yeah im like that nasty cousin that you hate to be around............ but occasionally i can get you out of the family reunion and get you high so ya kinda gotta stay cool with me :)

Now that you mention it.... :D

hey BG a few questions....

1) what size tube is that on the intake of the #5 air pump? (its the same pump I have, since you suggested it...lol, and I hung it from bungee's and still it has a very distinct sound...bbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

2) I take cuttings into root riot cubes (since my DIY aero cloner just does not seem to work for me) and I am wondering how low in the net pot will have to put these? I am using your connected bubble bucket system if that matters....

hey BG a few questions....

1) what size tube is that on the intake of the #5 air pump? (its the same pump I have, since you suggested it...lol, and I hung it from bungee's and still it has a very distinct sound...bbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

2) I take cuttings into root riot cubes (since my DIY aero cloner just does not seem to work for me) and I am wondering how low in the net pot will have to put these? I am using your connected bubble bucket system if that matters....

thats actually just a piece of 1/2" tube hanging off that intake. the same size as what i connect the buckets together with. you may want to secure it with a ziptie....... i just popped it on there for picture purposes.... i have no real need to dampen noise all that much.

i prefer to plant DEEP........ all the way to the first set of leaves. the deeper the better IMO