Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

what's next??

any ideas or suggestions???? :)

Well... since you asked, how about something on low stress training? The really tall plant looped over and over again so that ten feet of plant never exceeds a few feet in height. Some growers are faced with limited grow space and unable to grow tall plants. It would be interesting to see the yield on a single plants grown with this method.

I have a question. My G13 bends at every node. It looks like a stairway, hopefully to heaven. Is that typical?

Well... since you asked, how about something on low stress training? The really tall plant looped over and over again so that ten feet of plant never exceeds a few feet in height. Some growers are faced with limited grow space and unable to grow tall plants. It would be interesting to see the yield on a single plants grown with this method.

I have a question. My G13 bends at every node. It looks like a stairway, hopefully to heaven. Is that typical?

i can always appease..... but glaucoma1 has a pretty good tutorial located here: http://michiganmedic...tress-training/

and you can also see the scrog journal in my signature. :thumbsu:

i havent popped my g13's yet but im not sure what you mean "bends at every node"? gotta pic real quick?? :sword:

i can always appease..... but glaucoma1 has a pretty good tutorial located here: http://michiganmedic...tress-training/

and you can also see the scrog journal in my signature. :thumbsu:

i havent popped my g13's yet but im not sure what you mean "bends at every node"? gotta pic real quick?? :sword:

That thousand watter puts lines in my pics. I'll get one at lights out. It's the strangest thing... and I'm not even medicated.:P The first eight inches of the trunk are nice and straight, then it goes left and right and left and right all the way up to the tip. Bent about 15 degrees at every node. The branches themselves are straight, but the main trunk zigs and zags. I'll make sure I'm sitting down when I smoke this stuff.:blink:

I am a newbie to growing and have been doing a ton of research and believe I am ready to get started. I am a caregiver with two patients and plan to have a perpetual 36 plant cycle. I have an entire basement to work with. Here is my plan.

soil= going dirt because everyone seems to advise that it is more economical and forgiving for a newbie.

was planning on organic as possible, will take any suggestions.

Lights= going to start with a 400 or 600mh for everything but flowering

1000 hps for flowering, hopefully on a track

any suggestions for brands a

seed= ordered seed, lots of freebies, tried to get strains forgiving to newbs with high yield short flower to start

I have researched humidity, ph, water(plan on installing reverse osmosis filter),exhaust. I think I have a decent handle on what I am doing, did grow in a closet in the past. I am a little fuzzy on how many lights I will need to keep a perpetual grow going with 36 plants, any feedback on that would be fantastic. My other big question is whether I should buy everything online or go to local grow shop. From what I can tell I can save about half by purchasing online. I would like to keep the money local but was hoping not to pay twice as much. Last thing I want to mention is I am new to this board and all boards. If I break etiquette please dont hesitate to let me know. Thanks

Guest thequietone

Hi Michael and welcome to the site. Looks like you got a good start going by doing the research before starting. The amount of lights you will need depends on how you set your rooms up IMO. If you have a separate room for germinating and cloning I would recommend a 4 or 6 bulb t5 setup. For veg you can get by with one vertical MH in either the 400 or 600 watt. You will want to arrange the plants in a circle around the light and rotate them daily. When doing this it is important to maintain an even canopy height. This can be done by using plant stands of different height. You'll be happy with the 1000 HPS for flowering, but here again you might have to use plant stands to keep an even canopy height.

I am a newbie to growing and have been doing a ton of research and believe I am ready to get started. I am a caregiver with two patients and plan to have a perpetual 36 plant cycle. I have an entire basement to work with. Here is my plan.

soil= going dirt because everyone seems to advise that it is more economical and forgiving for a newbie.

was planning on organic as possible, will take any suggestions.

Lights= going to start with a 400 or 600mh for everything but flowering

1000 hps for flowering, hopefully on a track

any suggestions for brands a

seed= ordered seed, lots of freebies, tried to get strains forgiving to newbs with high yield short flower to start

I have researched humidity, ph, water(plan on installing reverse osmosis filter),exhaust. I think I have a decent handle on what I am doing, did grow in a closet in the past. I am a little fuzzy on how many lights I will need to keep a perpetual grow going with 36 plants, any feedback on that would be fantastic. My other big question is whether I should buy everything online or go to local grow shop. From what I can tell I can save about half by purchasing online. I would like to keep the money local but was hoping not to pay twice as much. Last thing I want to mention is I am new to this board and all boards. If I break etiquette please dont hesitate to let me know. Thanks

welcome!

sounds like TQO has ya :thumbsu:

one thing to remember with light is that is really has nothing to do with how many plants and everything to do with the amount of space you are lighting.

also, since your plants will be spending 2/3 of their life in flower, math tells us that 2/3 of your plants will need to be in flower at all times to maintain the perpetual part. 24 plants under a 1k may be a stretch, even with a light rail...... but as stated...... it all depends on if you can fit your plants in the space lit by a 1k on a rail..... you may need more flower wattage.

as far as where to purchase your equipment, thats like asking what flavor of ice-cream one likes :)

if you are familiar enough on the products/brands that you want, then order online and save a few dollars (usually) and save yourself the pain of loading and unloading everything in the car. if you are not 100% sure, then hit the hydro store and ask questions.

the growco http://www.4hydroponics.com/default.asp is in grand rapids and offers free shipping on orders over $250.

Strange Lucas formula problem??

Didn't start till I started running it in the system.. Started weak for the first 3-4 days too.. ??

gallery_11199_188_3553264.jpg

gallery_11199_188_821719.jpg'

Set my Aero/NFT veg system back up, I'm going to be having another run with my Aero/NFT flower systems as well too soon..

gallery_11199_188_5601606.jpg

Running RO, having to use a good amount of PH up to get in range

PH 5.4-5.6

PPM 700

Thoughts???

Thank you..

looks like you brought the whole team out for this mystery :)

you sure you dont have some smoke emitting from the lunchbox (shaggy and scooby taking a break) and it is contaminating your fresh air supply??? :)

haha...... i get twisties like that all the time. can be a combination of a lot of things IMO.

i had a widow strain that if i took clones from while in veg, they were fine..... if i flipped the lights to 12/12 just one night and then took clones, i got the twisties for a few days after they rooted.

if i run clean water on some strains too long before introducing some form of nutrients to them after rooting, i get twisties.

changing nutes or upping the dosage..... another possibility.

but most of the time it is a natural reaction from the plant as it reverts back into full veg stage after the cutting has been taken and rooted.

not sure what stage of life your mother plant was in, but if she was in flower you can always expect to see weird growth on the clones for awhile. it always straightens itself out in the end though.

looks like you brought the whole team out for this mystery :)

you sure you dont have some smoke emitting from the lunchbox (shaggy and scooby taking a break) and it is contaminating your fresh air supply??? :)

haha...... i get twisties like that all the time. can be a combination of a lot of things IMO.

i had a widow strain that if i took clones from while in veg, they were fine..... if i flipped the lights to 12/12 just one night and then took clones, i got the twisties for a few days after they rooted.

if i run clean water on some strains too long before introducing some form of nutrients to them after rooting, i get twisties.

changing nutes or upping the dosage..... another possibility.

but most of the time it is a natural reaction from the plant as it reverts back into full veg stage after the cutting has been taken and rooted.

not sure what stage of life your mother plant was in, but if she was in flower you can always expect to see weird growth on the clones for awhile. it always straightens itself out in the end though.

Gotta keep the Scooby Snacks safe... :bong7bp:

Hmmmmm.... So you see it all the time eh... The plants actual growth has been just been EXPLOSIVE.. I mean like WOW... But, it's like one side of a bunch of leaves forget to grow... lol...

Speaking of Scooby Snacks... Things are REALLY going well... about a week or so out...

gallery_11199_188_1254830.jpg

Gotta keep the Scooby Snacks safe... :bong7bp:

Hmmmmm.... So you see it all the time eh... The plants actual growth has been just been EXPLOSIVE.. I mean like WOW... But, it's like one side of a bunch of leaves forget to grow... lol...

Speaking of Scooby Snacks... Things are REALLY going well... about a week or so out...

gallery_11199_188_1254830.jpg

Looking Awesome man!

Love the Scooby Doo lunchbox too!

Nice looking. Glad to see some timber fall your way. What is all that?? Nice turn around.

Thank you Sir...!!

Right now it's 98% Dinafem Power Kush... It simply outgrew everything else, was very obvious... lol...

There is 2 GHS White Widdows and 1 GHS Lemon Skunk in a bubble tote too... They all started flower at the same time, but the 3 in the tote, were a full MONTH younger in overall age... They caught up to the ones in Promix... It's difficult to see in the pics, because they are all splayed out in the tote (I had to trim the bottom 3/4 out of the center one, it was pushing the others out) It was an experiment that went VERY well..

gallery_11199_188_691425.jpg

The WW is an odd duck, at least this Pheno... You can't hardly see the flowers for the mass of leaves..

Edited by SublimeWind

Makes me wish I got power kush :lol: like one of 3 Dinafems I don't have. I hope it was ufo for my last order Great looking grow Sublime. I have a GHS White Widow that looks nothing like yours She's got a fair amount of leaves, the buds turned out very very hairy but not very white at all and a lot more indica then yours. Another reason why I'm walking away from GHS. :dodgyrun:

Edited by Jipo

Lovin' this thread. I have a couple of questions to contribute.

1. This is from a thread I found on the hydro board. Bubblegrower mentioned that he had a 180 gallons of nutrient water flood his room. I did a search but I couldn't find where the leak originated from. I'm building my RDWC system right now so I would love any preventative advice as far as that goes. My system will pretty much be identical to the one in BG's video. I will make sure to use zip ties around my connections. I have a drain in the room I will be growing which is great but all that water would still saturate the walls and probably leak into the room next door where I just put in a new floor!

Here is what my set up will look like. I'm still in the middle of a soil-less grow so it will be another month before I can set up. I'm using the time to order everything online. Thanks to BG so much for putting a parts list together, that really helped me out.

gallery_15206_691_32804.jpg

2. As you can see in the diagram, I do not have any airstone lines. I was planning on using the water pump and air pump in the reservoir/control bucket to aerate the water. Is there any reason why this won't be sufficient?

3. You can also see in the diagram that I plan to keep my mothers in soil-less (3 equal parts pro-mix, vermiculite, perlite) and use a drip system to water them with a separate pump and timer. This idea is the least together for this plan. I realize I will probably have to have a separate res for this, but it would be nice to kill two birds with one stone. I'm going to do a test with one soil-less plant I have growing to see how it takes to Lucas Method nutrients. If it gets burned then I will use a much more diluted mix or even use my organic nutes. FYI, room one on the left is the veg room under eight 4' florescent tubes and the flowering room on the right has one 400W HPS.

Thanks all! So much good info here.

1. . I did a search but I couldn't find where the leak originated from.

2. As you can see in the diagram, I do not have any airstone lines. I was planning on using the water pump and air pump in the reservoir/control bucket to aerate the water. Is there any reason why this won't be sufficient?

the leak was a tee that i stepped on and cracked. totally my fault. there were a pair of hand pruners laying on the floor and i stepped on them and crushed them into the tee.... i checked it and "thought" it was ok. found out 12 hours later i was wrong :(

i am trying to envision your setup here and i wouldnt push it. get an air pump and air to each plant site. i would make positive. .... it is just so much easier to have stones at each site IMO. your drippers will create some movement at the top of the water level and that will help dissolve oxygen into the water, but the water in the bucket isnt open to fresh air...... its all closed up with stanky nutrient air :) i would just rather pump fresh air right at the roots..... but thats just me.

looks like a clean set up though!

1. This is from a thread I found on the hydro board. Bubblegrower mentioned that he had a 180 gallons of nutrient water flood his room. I did a search but I couldn't find where the leak originated from. I'm building my RDWC system right now so I would love any preventative advice as far as that goes. My system will pretty much be identical to the one in BG's video. I will make sure to use zip ties around my connections. I have a drain in the room I will be growing which is great but all that water would still saturate the walls and probably leak into the room next door where I just put in a new floor!

Here is what my set up will look like. I'm still in the middle of a soil-less grow so it will be another month before I can set up. I'm using the time to order everything online. Thanks to BG so much for putting a parts list together, that really helped me out.

gallery_15206_691_32804.jpg

3. You can also see in the diagram that I plan to keep my mothers in soil-less (3 equal parts pro-mix, vermiculite, perlite) and use a drip system to water them with a separate pump and timer. This idea is the least together for this plan. I realize I will probably have to have a separate res for this, but it would be nice to kill two birds with one stone. I'm going to do a test with one soil-less plant I have growing to see how it takes to Lucas Method nutrients. If it gets burned then I will use a much more diluted mix or even use my organic nutes. FYI, room one on the left is the veg room under eight 4' florescent tubes and the flowering room on the right has one 400W HPS.

Thanks all! So much good info here.

When I set up my totes, I had a major leak too. I used the size hole cutter that BG said to use but for some reason, water still poured out of a few of the grommets.

The leak could be due to making the hole either too small or too large. You can use a blade to make sure the hole is rounded out. If you really have to push the connectors through the grommets and your hands are hurting, the holes are most likely too small.

I ended up buying a tube of silicone. I took all of my totes and buckets and put silicone around the inside and outside of the buckets around the grommets. Let it dry for at least 24 hours.

No more leaks!

It's pretty strange. BG said he's never had this problem, but I'm betting if I had this issue, others may face it too.

Good add royal. There is such a thing as leaks from holes being too SMALL as well :)

if in doubt... ask the hydro store what size drill bit they recommend as all grommets are different even though they may all be half inch.

Thanks man! I learned from a pro!

I had asked this question in the Meijer Air Stone thread.....but I'll move it here.....

If ya had to choose to use either a 4 in air stone or 10 in, which would you use?

I bought a couple of each on clearance, since there were no more 6 inch stones, just in case I was in a jam....

Thanks man! I learned from a pro!

I had asked this question in the Meijer Air Stone thread.....but I'll move it here.....

If ya had to choose to use either a 4 in air stone or 10 in, which would you use?

I bought a couple of each on clearance, since there were no more 6 inch stones, just in case I was in a jam....

depends on air power.

4" really though.

in a bucket.... 4"

in a tote .... 10"

but i wouldnt hook a 10" to a 20-60 gallon "wal-mart" pump. if you hooking to commercial pumps, then you know when you have reached your limit on air.

you have been growing for awhile now so you know what i mean :)

for that price..... i will be using them all.. (except the ornamental shell shaped ones or the 1" ones) .. it's just that the 6" are the most efficient in the long run. :thumbsu:

I first started with a 5gal DWC type system everything was OK. Yes, had a tube of silicone on hand. Then I had my first major leak. That really pissed me off.

So here's a question which I do not have the room to try my self. Not ATM but hopefully soon. I currently run an Ebb n flow system. Virtually impossible to have leaks or floods.

Between the two types of systems, running side by side. How much more growth (percent wise) does the DWC put out vs. Ebb n flow? I would only change back if it was significantly accelerated. TY