Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

Your questions are aimed at BG so I don't want to intrude but since ur waiting for an answer I can at least tell you that you can take a clone from a plant inside, outside, in soil, in hydro or whatever. It doesn't matter. If u go through some of these threads you'll see that BG has started seedlings in soil and then washed the roots off and put them in hydro.

As for the Fox Farm Trio: I believe you can use them just fine. You should really get the facts from the nute manufacturer before starting a regimen. I'm copying BG and using GH nutes for my bubble bucket grow. They work great.

http://www.rollitup.org/nutrients/351199-fox-farm-trio.html

bg

My PC crashed and burned so I asked my cousin to pass along a couple questions but I can't get a hold of him he's at his daughters house for the weekend. So if you answered the questions cool if not, here they are.

1) what nutes do I use. I have the Fox Farm trio for soil can those be diluted or bumped up for water.

2) Does water gardening require clones from a mother that was grown in water or can I take cutting from my Master Kush that is growing in soil. I finished the bucket yesterday and just waiting for clone answer.

Thanks for the help

David

i use quite a range. the lucas method is very popular and cheap. http://michiganmedic...post__p__163809

i also run the advanced line........... and general organics quite often.

no, you can get your clones for a bubblebucket/tote in any way that clones come. clones from aerocloners, rockwool (or rapid rooters/cubes whatever) are best.......... but soil is ok.

one thing though.... if you do get them in soil, it is better to get them while they are young. a plant that is much past the clone stage and into "full veg" can be much more difficult to transfer over to hydro. the shock is much worse if the plant is older.

here a good diy on that: http://michiganmedic...post__p__230169

BG,

Are you using the General Organics in soil or hydro? I've been using them in soil-less for a two cycles, going on three. I held off and only used the light feeding regimen before but now I will bump it to full to get better results this time. I use the BioThrive Bloom and CalMg. I will be trying out some Advanced Nutrients Big Bud also this time. Is there any other supplements you would recommend. Thanks!

2 quality pics I found that will help show a visual of topping and fimming.

toppping.jpg

topvfim.jpg

'Tis my daily contribution

Ok, so ive read over this thread probley more than 5x. I guess i still need some more info on this.

Seems like most people on here just top their plant. Is this better ?

When should i do this ? Obviously there is no right answer for any of this.

But id still like Some more educated views/opinions on this.

BG,

Are you using the General Organics in soil or hydro? I've been using them in soil-less for a two cycles, going on three. I held off and only used the light feeding regimen before but now I will bump it to full to get better results this time. I use the BioThrive Bloom and CalMg. I will be trying out some Advanced Nutrients Big Bud also this time. Is there any other supplements you would recommend. Thanks!

hi nix.... thanks for answering when i wasnt around :thumbsu:

i have used it in both. i have decided that i dont like it for soil though. just my personal opinion. i use it for hydro. actually the 1lb plant for the journal is in g.o. nutes.

i pretty much use it just as the manufacturer suggests. maybe an extra few ml's of tweaking here and there, but i dont stray far:

med_gallery_13801_60_5403.jpg

Ok, so ive read over this thread probley more than 5x. I guess i still need some more info on this.

you are correct...... there is no "right" answer.

some will agree, some will disagree....... but one thing is for sure...... everyone has their own opinion :)

when i run a strain for the very first time, i will let her go naturally so i can see for myself the common characteristics of the strain....... but after that.... it's play time.

topping or fimming may be an absolute necessity for folks with a vertical challenge in their grow room. i know for a fact that i get a bigger yield by topping some strains..... but it's not necessarily the topping itself that does it........ it's keeping the flowers on the plant at a more level height and therefore getting more light. if you let a plant go natural, you may have one large main cola that towers above the rest of the plant.......... and the rest of the plant is a full foot down the canopy and receiving very little light. on the other hand, if i top, i can create 2-4-6 main stems and keep the entire plant more "level". in this case, all those flowers that used to be "lowers" and were located a foot down the canopy and shaded are now at equal height with the rest of the plant and receiving equal light..... meaning they will grow much bigger.

some strains just like it..... some dont.

as far as fimming, i have never been a huge fan. its easy to miss the cut (or near cut) and with topping everything is more certain. some folks will swear by fimming..... i like to have "full control" as often as possible and even with a perfectly executed fim, there is still no 100% certainty as to how the plant will grow. with topping, its a clean cut, and one branch becomes 2. just my opinion...... im sure others will tell you much different.

i like to drop them in somewhere between a 2-6" root beard.

you may find some tips, ticks, and pics towards the bottom of the post here: http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/tutorials/t-42-cuttingcultivating-clones/

also, i have found that for best results...... i never go below 4gal of nutes/water per plant during flower. this means a 5gal bucket is the smallest i go. (a 5gal bucket only holds 4gals of water after you drop the netpot in the lid)

once again..... personal preference, but i do not like to constrict the roots if it isnt needed.

Thanks BG. I guess I have some moving to do today then. :)

I went outside the norm in terms of my setup. I made it myself and I am currently tweaking it here and there with some bagseed. I do have one SLH sprout the weed fairy sent me, but it is weeks behind my other plants. The 3gal buckets I have include spray heads inside and a drain at the bottom running back to a 20 gallon reservoir. Hopefully it is enough, but if they outgrow the free buckets I will be sure to move them.gallery_22015_731_249723.jpg

Edited by JimD

I prefer supercropping which is taking the stalk 2-3 nodes from the top and rolling it back and forth between your fingers to soften the stem some, then gently bending the top over. This is easier to do if the plant is well watered. It will straighten out in a few hours and will have increased side branching without the stalling or loss of main cola that topping and fimming causes.

Edited by Petyr

I have a question about the pump. I bought a few of these EcoPlus pumps and tried hooking up one for the first time to a drip irrigation system last night. I couldn't let it run though because the 1/2" tubing will not stay connected to the pump.

gallery_15206_691_29346.jpg

The reason is this POS connector that came with the pump that is supposed to fit a 1/2" tube. It's not long enough and the tubing falls off without much effort. Any suggestions? I tried to fit a barbed connector in the pump but the hole is not big enough. Thanks!

Having issues with a bubbletote.. The plant is a blueberry and for the past week it has been at a standstill. It was doing great and then ..bam.. it was like groundhog day.. same thing every day for 6 or 7 days.. and the top leaves started curling down.. Was using flora micro and flora bloom, lucas method.. So i am trying a flush of just water for a few days to see what happens..

Any ideas on the cause of this?

Thanks for any help on this.

SS

100_2253.jpg

Edited by SMELLINSWEET

Having issues with a bubbletote.. The plant is a blueberry and for the past week it has been at a standstill. It was doing great and then ..bam.. it was like groundhog day.. same thing every day for 6 or 7 days.. and the top leaves started curling down.. Was using flora micro and flora bloom, lucas method.. So i am trying a flush of just water for a few days to see what happens..

Any ideas on the cause of this?

Thanks for any help on this.

SS

100_2253.jpg

Im just a beginner but i know ppl need more info..

what are your temps, humid %, pH level

Almost looks like a iron deficiency to me, but i honestly dont know. That was just a noob guess, good luck !

Temps are in the 85 degree area in the veg room

Humidity is different all the time.. 30%-55%

PH is usually in the 6.0 area

PPM was running around the 1266 area for most of the time

It's weird, they were growing great and then just stopped all of a sudden.

Almost seems like they stopped taking in nutes..

SS

obviously there are about a million strains of blueberry out there by now..... and i cant speak for all of them..... but i just ran a long journal on dj short's BB from seed (still running it) and i have found that she's a bit picky.

i am running the lucas at about 800ppm and throwing in 2.5ml/gal of cal/mag starting in the 2nd week of flower and for the next 4 weeks.. starting with r.o. water of course.

i would flush her out for a couple days and try that.... or just try 6-12 nutes and forget the cal-mag to see how she responds.

either way.... i have found personally that less is better with this one.

also. drop your ph down a bit lower and let it rise up. down in the 5.2-5.3 range you pick up more nutes. you can see what happens if you hold it right at 6.0

index.jpg

Im just a beginner but i know ppl need more info..

what are your temps, humid %, pH level

Almost looks like a iron deficiency to me, but i honestly dont know. That was just a noob guess, good luck !

great questions :thumbsu:

hopefully i can take a vacation soon and you can just answer them all in my absence :)

BG, did I hear you say you only run 2 nutes, the micro and the bloom GH? Was that for a specific grow or as a general rule?

thats the lucas method of nutrients. yes, it only uses 2 nutes.

the lucas is probably the cheapest well-rounded program available. http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/18150-need-your-grow-questions-answered-come-on-in/page__view__findpost__p__163809

it is NOT organic ..... must make that known. but for a single patient grow and someone getting their feet wet in cultivation, i recommend it every time. especially in bubbles.

great questions :thumbsu:

hopefully i can take a vacation soon and you can just answer them all in my absence :)

thats the lucas method of nutrients. yes, it only uses 2 nutes.

the lucas is probably the cheapest well-rounded program available. http://michiganmedic...post__p__163809

it is NOT organic ..... must make that known. but for a single patient grow and someone getting their feet wet in cultivation, i recommend it every time. especially in bubbles.

That is a lot of really great info on that link, thanks sir!

@ bubblegrower

@ Royal Smoke

That was definitly one of those "why didn't I think of that moments." Some electrical tape and a zip tie worked great. That sucker is on there tight now. Thanks, again.

@ SMELLINSWEET

I'm also new to hydro but I get that problem with plants when it's too dry and hot. Your temps are a bit high, you want to aim for 73 degrees. Your humidity is low if it's at 30%, you want to be a at around 50% ideally.

Thanks for all the info.. I will keep flushing for a few more days then try what BG said. I will let you know how it works out.

a 48 hour flush is really all that is needed. in rare case of a SERIOUS burn ..... meaning you messed up :) there is call for a multiple day flush.... but other than that there really isnt much need to go past 48 hours. by then everything that needed to be "cleaned" (roots,bucket, tubing) has been cleaned and by now the plant has sucked up sufficient clean water.

if you go much longer than a couple/few days your plant will begin to become malnourished and your leaves will begin to yellow among other possible side-effects.