Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

I'll try this one. If one were starting from seed, and after they germinate and they are in rockwool in a cube, and the cotyledons have emerged, how much root coming out the bottom do you need to see before it goes into a net pot etc?

Thanks.

I'll try this one. If one were starting from seed, and after they germinate and they are in rockwool in a cube, and the cotyledons have emerged, how much root coming out the bottom do you need to see before it goes into a net pot etc?

Thanks.

I know that there are many ways to do this cloning thing, Bish. The wonderful thing about it is that it's more the plant than the farmer. What I mean by that is the plant wants to grow! It wants to do the James T Kirk thing and grow where no plant has grown before! So I'll tell you what I've learned about this, only because it works for me. My first clones got quite fuzzy in the rock woll, and I'd tickle the roots a little before planting. Now I figure that the sooner the plant / roots get acclimated to the bubbletote, the sooner the aggressive growth can start. At the first sign of roots I put them into 3" net pots in a bubbletote (10 gallon tote with eight 3" holes), surround them with hydroton, and starting from fresh pH'd water I build my nutes up. At the end of three weeks the root beards are almost tangling with each other. Then I re-pot them, leaving them right in the 3" pot, into 6" net pots and put them into double-bubbletotes. That might have to change to singles soon, as my plants are crowding each other way too much in flower. Oh, and always top water until you see roots dangling from each plant. Don't be afraid to play around a little Bish. It's fun!:D

Thanks.

read the first few pages here bish: http://michiganmedic...-chemo-iranian/

i used humboldt roots to get those ones started, but that is no way necessary

as soon as i see roots coming out of the cube, i move them into bubblebuckets/totes.

read the first few pages here bish: http://michiganmedic...-chemo-iranian/

i used humboldt roots to get those ones started, but that is no way necessary

as soon as i see roots coming out of the cube, i move them into bubblebuckets/totes.

Thanks for that timely link BG! That is just what I needed to see at this point. A couple more tweeks, Ha Ha COUPLE!! Wow, the understatement of the century.

That is good advice TIC, I will do that! Two have roots about 3/4 ", so I will put them in the bubblers! When do you add your nutes? 1/2 strength?

Thank you TIC!

I start out with fresh pH'd water for the first two days, then I add half strength veg nutes. I mix up another gallon jug of half strength nutes (enough for the entire tote), and slowly add that as back filling requires. By the end of two weeks or so I'm at full strength veg nutes (5/10) Now I have one tote already at full strength veg nutes, and I set up three more totes. I put two hole lids on all four totes and re-pot the plants into 6" net pots. They get another week or two in veg, and when the plants get to about two feet tall I move them into flower. I know that many growers do a flush while still in veg, but I start them out in flower in a fresh tote filled with pH'd water for a few days. Then I mix up another gallon of solution with enough flower strength nutes to bring my entire solution up to 8/16. It takes a few days of back filling, but in a few days my totes in flower are at full strength nutes. I identify each jug so that it only goes into one specific tote. The nice thing about using totes is that you really only have to move the lid. I've got a couple extra totes, so I can shift some plants and scrub some totes and shift some more plants. I hope that you can make some sense out of this. I'm still learning and adapting to this stuff, and my methods might seem unconventional to some, but it's working for me.

That is some more very helpful info. from you ToadInCan! May you have a wonderful day!

I hafta tell ya, Bish... I feel humbled. I think that we are privileged to be in the company of a knowledgable and compassionate man. Everything I've done so far has been through the guidance of Bubblegrower. Granted, I've had to adapt a thing or two due to my limitted budget, but it's basically the original budget bubbletote grow. I'm looking at plants now that I have to harvest in stages to stay within my allotment. I couldn't have imagined that it would be so easy. And so much fun! I'm glad that I can pass along what I've learned, and it's really cool to see what others are doing, even if it's entirely different. Perhaps the greatest thing is that my patients are all taken care of. I'm still stumbling and fumbling along, and I can't wait to try some of the things I see on this site... a scrog... a pounder like those guys are doing on that other page... one plant in a solo cup. All the credit for my grow and inspiration goes to BG.

I hafta tell ya, Bish... I feel humbled. I think that we are privileged to be in the company of a knowledgable and compassionate man. Everything I've done so far has been through the guidance of Bubblegrower. Granted, I've had to adapt a thing or two due to my limitted budget, but it's basically the original budget bubbletote grow. I'm looking at plants now that I have to harvest in stages to stay within my allotment. I couldn't have imagined that it would be so easy. And so much fun! I'm glad that I can pass along what I've learned, and it's really cool to see what others are doing, even if it's entirely different. Perhaps the greatest thing is that my patients are all taken care of. I'm still stumbling and fumbling along, and I can't wait to try some of the things I see on this site... a scrog... a pounder like those guys are doing on that other page... one plant in a solo cup. All the credit for my grow and inspiration goes to BG.

I agree with your sentiment entirely!

I was thinking about BG earlier today.

What a great guy.

We aren't "friends". He doesn't "know" me. I haven't ever posted much on this site. Despite all of this, he treats me like a buddy. ALWAYS there for any question. Very, very generous with his time.

Thanks, Brah! You're a good man.

By the way, Mr. Bubblegrower, you'll probably be pleased to hear that everything is going very well with my plants. After a painfully long veg phase (not enough $$ to finish my bloom room), I am proud to report that my girls are flowering. Got a few things to iron out with the new room, but things are going great. Much thanks to you, sir.

thanks for the kind words .... and uber thanks for paying it forward and answering questions whenever you can. THAT means so much to me.

so many times i spend countless hours helping someone learn to grow, and then POOF.... they are gone. makes me feel like a hooker :)

sooooo.......... thanks :goodjob: :goodjob:

I agree with your sentiment entirely!

as always .... thanks bish :rock:

I was thinking about BG earlier today.

What a great guy.

We aren't "friends". He doesn't "know" me. I haven't ever posted much on this site. Despite all of this, he treats me like a buddy. ALWAYS there for any question. Very, very generous with his time.

Thanks, Brah! You're a good man.

By the way, Mr. Bubblegrower, you'll probably be pleased to hear that everything is going very well with my plants. After a painfully long veg phase (not enough $ to finish my bloom room), I am proud to report that my girls are flowering. Got a few things to iron out with the new room, but things are going great. Much thanks to you, sir.

SO GLAD to hear all is well. a painfully long veg phase can mean GREAT things though :)

gallery_13801_60_103829.jpg

thanks for the kind words .... and uber thanks for paying it forward and answering questions whenever you can. THAT means so much to me.

so many times i spend countless hours helping someone learn to grow, and then POOF.... they are gone. makes me feel like a hooker :)

sooooo.......... thanks :goodjob: :goodjob:

as always .... thanks bish :rock:

SO GLAD to hear all is well. a painfully long veg phase can mean GREAT things though :)

gallery_13801_60_103829.jpg

hey BG can you give details on this grow area like dimensions ans wattage and what kind of reflective material is that?

hey BG can you give details on this grow area like dimensions ans wattage and what kind of reflective material is that?

she's filling out a 4x4 tent with 1400watts on her.

she's in this tent: http://www.4hydroponics.com/growroom/growTents2.asp?ItemNo=growlabGL120

the full journal is here: http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/29638-bubblegrowers-1lb-chemo-iranian-plant/

she will be going into flower in the next few days.

and then POOF.... they are gone.

I do that all the time. Ask questions then disappear. Sorry.

That said...

:bow:

I have more.

Ok, so now I am pretty much on the Lucas formula in all of my grow containers. I switched from Fox Farm and while I don't think I have Lucas down completely, my plants are growing more or less faster, stronger, taller and all that. I'm very pleased already.

I'm only 2.5 weeks into my first flower cycle with 2 plants in the 10 gallon tote.

Ok, my ppms. I have read/printed/carry with me the Lucas post you have in here. I use the formula for replenishing, but tend to come up a bit shy when I use it.

So here are my questions. First, overnight my plants are drinking between 1-2 gallons/24hrs. Twice now I have checked the ppm's at the reduced water level and found them to be in the 1400's. So this is where I wonder the proper protocol.

1. Do I add most of the water, check the ppm's then do the calculation for what to add? Saving say 1/2 gallon of water to mix the nutes in and then add that to the res? This has gotten me into the situation where I am coming up short. Usually around 1240. Can I add small amounts directly to the res? Like 1ml at a time? Which leads us to the Or...

2. Or, since that adds water and further dilutes my situation, should I just back fill with water, then measure, calculate and add directly to the res? I feel like I have read in several places that adding right to the res is not ideal.

I know that I'm shooting to max out at 1330. If over...how far over before I should dump and change the res? How far below is too far?

Thanks again. Things keep getting better and better with my grows and I have to say I owe it to all of your help as a resource on here.

and then POOF.... they are gone.

I do that all the time. Ask questions then disappear. Sorry.

That said...

:bow:

I have more.

Ok, so now I am pretty much on the Lucas formula in all of my grow containers. I switched from Fox Farm and while I don't think I have Lucas down completely, my plants are growing more or less faster, stronger, taller and all that. I'm very pleased already.

I'm only 2.5 weeks into my first flower cycle with 2 plants in the 10 gallon tote.

Ok, my ppms. I have read/printed/carry with me the Lucas post you have in here. I use the formula for replenishing, but tend to come up a bit shy when I use it.

So here are my questions. First, overnight my plants are drinking between 1-2 gallons/24hrs. Twice now I have checked the ppm's at the reduced water level and found them to be in the 1400's. So this is where I wonder the proper protocol.

1. Do I add most of the water, check the ppm's then do the calculation for what to add? Saving say 1/2 gallon of water to mix the nutes in and then add that to the res? This has gotten me into the situation where I am coming up short. Usually around 1240. Can I add small amounts directly to the res? Like 1ml at a time? Which leads us to the Or...

2. Or, since that adds water and further dilutes my situation, should I just back fill with water, then measure, calculate and add directly to the res? I feel like I have read in several places that adding right to the res is not ideal.

I know that I'm shooting to max out at 1330. If over...how far over before I should dump and change the res? How far below is too far?

Thanks again. Things keep getting better and better with my grows and I have to say I owe it to all of your help as a resource on here.

since you are dealing with single 10gal totes that are not linked together, and you have 2 plants per tote ..... you are obviously going to be drinking a ton very quickly.

what i would do if i were you ........ and they are drinking 2 gallons/day (which is 1/3 of the rez) ........ is full strength nutes/fresh water one day .... then backfill with 2 gallons of just ph proper water the next day, then dump/refil/start new on the 3rd day.

i am so used to growing with a bunch of buckets/totes linked together that i kinda forget that it can be a pia sometimes with 2 plants per 6 gallons.

2 ways to make life a bit easier so you arent dumping/refilling every 3 days.... obviously link them together and then to a central control tote.

or, move them into 5gal buckets for flower. a 5gal bucket actually holds 4gals of water after leaving room for the netpot and a 10gal sterilite tote holds 6glas. it may sound minimal, but having one plant per 4 gallons of water instead of one plant per 3 gallons of water will save you time in the long run.

as far as adding nutes straight to the bucket/tote ....... i never do. its just not safe to have your roots coming in contact with pure straight condensed nutes. if i need to raise it a bit i would put half a gal of water in a jug and add the normal 8-16 nutes .... basically making it a double strength half gallon ...... dump that in because it is at least somewhat watered down ..... after it mixes take a reading. if you are too high just take a half gallon out and replace with water.

glad to hear things are well though. . its nice to get an update from time to time :thumbsu:

it depends on what you are trying to light. whats your dimensions and current wattage?

I've got a big room...12 X 14, but I'm only using about 8 X 4 right now for flower. Twelve plants in six totes, sharing 1600 Watts ( 600 and a 1k). I was thinking about moving the lights back and forth, or maybe just adding another 600 Watts. They eat light, all I can give them.

I've got a big room...12 X 14, but I'm only using about 8 X 4 right now for flower. Twelve plants in six totes, sharing 1600 Watts ( 600 and a 1k). I was thinking about moving the lights back and forth, or maybe just adding another 600 Watts. They eat light, all I can give them.

in a spot like yours..... lighting a 4 or 5 x 8 or 9 foot area i can see the use of a 4ft rail: http://www.4hydroponics.com/lighting/HIDaccessories2.asp?ItemNo=hydrofarmLightTrack

i used one of them with a 4ft umbrella reflector. so i had the 4ft of rail. plus the 2ft of overhang at each end:

gallery_13801_182_141.png

obviously that gave me 8ft of total "hooded light" on the rail in that 9ft long area. that was perfect. if your area is only 8ft, just dont use a 4ft umbrellas hood and you will clear the walls just fine :)

i think there are times when a light mover can be beneficial, but trying to stretch them out too far and make them do too much will disappoint you in the end.

since you are dealing with single 10gal totes that are not linked together, and you have 2 plants per tote ..... you are obviously going to be drinking a ton very quickly.

what i would do if i were you ........ and they are drinking 2 gallons/day (which is 1/3 of the rez) ........ is full strength nutes/fresh water one day .... then backfill with 2 gallons of just ph proper water the next day, then dump/refil/start new on the 3rd day.

i am so used to growing with a bunch of buckets/totes linked together that i kinda forget that it can be a pia sometimes with 2 plants per 6 gallons.

Ok. 2 gallons has been the max. It hovers closer to one gallon lately, but there was a stretch of several days where they were drinking heavily about a week back. Does that help me slow down the frequency of the dump/refill if it's closer to 1 gallon? Probably not a lot.

Cool thanks. This is helping. I know I can get this perpetual down. The Lucas so far is giving me great results.

in a spot like yours..... lighting a 4 or 5 x 8 or 9 foot area i can see the use of a 4ft rail: http://www.4hydropon...ofarmLightTrack

i used one of them with a 4ft umbrella reflector. so i had the 4ft of rail. plus the 2ft of overhang at each end:

gallery_13801_182_141.png

obviously that gave me 8ft of total "hooded light" on the rail in that 9ft long area. that was perfect. if your area is only 8ft, just dont use a 4ft umbrellas hood and you will clear the walls just fine :)

i think there are times when a light mover can be beneficial, but trying to stretch them out too far and make them do too much will disappoint you in the end.

Thanks BG. The plants want more space, and more light at the same time. I've got the space. I think I'll be trying the rail soon.