Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

It depends how big your room is, how much ducting you have, and primarily the CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating on your fan. If you have two fans in your ducting then you should be fine. It's just a question of how often you want to exchange the air in the room.

if i had both fans in the same duct line both pulling air into the filter and through the light (so like both would be behind the light pulling, seperated by maybe a foot of ducting between the two fans)would it matter that they are going at different speeds?

sincerely ............ so glad to see things continuing here. much thanks to all who are answering questions.

Happy to help out a thread that has benefited me so much.

if i had both fans in the same duct line both pulling air into the filter and through the light (so like both would be behind the light pulling, seperated by maybe a foot of ducting between the two fans)would it matter that they are going at different speeds?

If heat is your main issue, put one fan on each side of the reflector. The different speeds of the fans is fine.

Happy to help out a thread that has benefited me so much.

If heat is your main issue, put one fan on each side of the reflector. The different speeds of the fans is fine.

THANKS, i know this will help in the warm days to come :bow: didnt mean for it to get complicated, but the grow question is answered!

I wonder if it would help if you split the 2 fans up and used one for cooling and one for the carbon filter.

The one for cooling, just pull fresh air from outside the room, through your hood and exhaust right back out.

The one for the carbon filter would just exhaust the air from the room. Also add a passive air intake if you do this.

Just an idea, i'm no pro.

What are the cfm ratings for your fans and carbon filter?

Edited by ScrogBubbles

NUTRIENT QUESTION..

I am currently growing in DWC(bubbletotes) and soil(a mix of FFOF, HappyFrog, worm castings, coco, and dolomite lime). I use GH Flora nutes, lucas method. I have just been using the full strength lucas formula to feed my plants in soil, and flushing with molasses... should I be using something else or different mix/ratio for the plants in soil? I just harvested my first plant in soil, and I know I can do better.

If the lucas method is fine for the plants in soil, I will continue to do what I'm doing, I just feel that I could really improve on my first soil harvest....Still wating for first DWC harvest.

If anyone has a nute system they have good luck with for feeding in soil...please let me know.. I am open to anything.. also like to hear the reasoning behind said method.

Thanks.

I prefer House and Garden, any decent nute company like AN or Canna will do well. Ive learned never to say bad things about the lucas formula..its followers are almost fanatical. Ive done side by side grows comparing the lucas method with the full House and garden line and the basic Advanced Nute line up and it wasnt even close, the Lucas method produced smaller plants and buds. Im not saying you cant grow pot with the lucas formula..but I personally can grow better pot with other nutes.

The only advantage i see in the lucas formula for me is price. I never reached 1 watt per gram with Lucas but with AN or house and garden it was wasnt a problem.

This is just my opinion..i dont want a KISS or Lucas posse headed up to ontario to lynch me !!

Peace, Lilman

NUTRIENT QUESTION..

I am currently growing in DWC(bubbletotes) and soil(a mix of FFOF, HappyFrog, worm castings, coco, and dolomite lime). I use GH Flora nutes, lucas method. I have just been using the full strength lucas formula to feed my plants in soil, and flushing with molasses... should I be using something else or different mix/ratio for the plants in soil? I just harvested my first plant in soil, and I know I can do better.

If the lucas method is fine for the plants in soil, I will continue to do what I'm doing, I just feel that I could really improve on my first soil harvest....Still wating for first DWC harvest.

If anyone has a nute system they have good luck with for feeding in soil...please let me know.. I am open to anything.. also like to hear the reasoning behind said method.

Thanks.

I'm doing a similar trial with the Flora GH nutes and Lucas. In my experience you're just not going to get hydro results in dirt or soil-less. Some people say that "super soil" (whatever that is), can give near hydro levels of growth, but I've never tried it. I just gave up on soil-less and soil. Here's a pic to show the difference.

gallery_15206_691_150808.jpg

The plants on the left were started two weeks before the plants on the right. They are almost at the same root level (soil-less plants are about 1 inch lower) and look at the difference. The DWC tote at right is using Lucas Method nutes as are the soil-less plants. A few of the soil-less plants are on an organic regimen just to compare. I've noticed very little difference in the Lucas soil-less and the organic soil-less.

Why are you set on soil instead of bubbletotes? I don't think it's possible to get the same results. Indoors at least.

I'm doing a similar trial with the Flora GH nutes and Lucas. In my experience you're just not going to get hydro results in dirt or soil-less. Some people say that "super soil" (whatever that is), can give near hydro levels of growth, but I've never tried it. I just gave up on soil-less and soil. Here's a pic to show the difference.

gallery_15206_691_150808.jpg

The plants on the left were started two weeks before the plants on the right. They are almost at the same root level (soil-less plants are about 1 inch lower) and look at the difference. The DWC tote at right is using Lucas Method nutes as are the soil-less plants. A few of the soil-less plants are on an organic regimen just to compare. I've noticed very little difference in the Lucas soil-less and the organic soil-less.

Why are you set on soil instead of bubbletotes? I don't think it's possible to get the same results. Indoors at least.

I am not set on soil, just don't have the hydro dialed in yet. Momma taught me not to put all my eggs in one basket..lol.. but I plan on transitioning to all hydro.

When I first got my bubbletotes going, I had some plant problems, still not quite sure what they were, I was doing everything exactly how others were and yet had problems..ph, ppm all good. I am still trying to narrow it down, I am now thinking either that the strain I am growing is not well suited for indoor hydro or my res temps were too high, or it was a cal/mag problem, because I bought some CalMag plus and things started looking better(it took awhile though--2 weeks). My roots were not bright white like others I've seen but no slime or rot. I didnt get a chiller, or use ice, I just got my room temps down a little. Another thing I did, was when I moved the clones into flower, I put them in a recirculating system, with a reservoir. When they were in veg and sickly, they were in individual totes. The second round of clones showed the same deficiencies, and now they are looking all right, so I dunno.. Trial and error.

The strain was a bagseed, but turned out to be a great female plant, very good pheno of whatever it is, I just harvested the plant from seed, and its almost done drying, I'm thinking I got 3.5-4 oz's off of it and It looks great. One thing about this plant is the stems are completely hollow, I cut the main stalk up last night and you could fit a pencil (or bigger) in the middle it is so hollow. And I am a newbie, but I think the root mass plant is lacking a little, It just isn't the root mass I've seen in pics.

My Sweet Deep Grapfruit (from dinafem) clones just got put into totes last night, so we'll see if strain has anything to do with it. I planted two SDG seeds, one was tall and lanky and the stalks were weak... The other was short, fat, super tight node spacing, and reeking like grapefruit, absolutely beautiful plant, she's gonna go the distance.

I am really trying to experience all the aspects and techniques of growing I can get my hands on and see what works best. I can't wait to run a few different strains.. starting off slowly. I would love to get my hands on a Lemon Cake or Free Leonard or both.

I am not set on soil, just don't have the hydro dialed in yet. Momma taught me not to put all my eggs in one basket..lol.. but I plan on transitioning to all hydro.

When I first got my bubbletotes going, I had some plant problems, still not quite sure what they were, I was doing everything exactly how others were and yet had problems..ph, ppm all good. I am still trying to narrow it down, I am now thinking either that the strain I am growing is not well suited for indoor hydro or my res temps were too high, or it was a cal/mag problem, because I bought some CalMag plus and things started looking better(it took awhile though--2 weeks). My roots were not bright white like others I've seen but no slime or rot. I didnt get a chiller, or use ice, I just got my room temps down a little. Another thing I did, was when I moved the clones into flower, I put them in a recirculating system, with a reservoir. When they were in veg and sickly, they were in individual totes. The second round of clones showed the same deficiencies, and now they are looking all right, so I dunno.. Trial and error.

The strain was a bagseed, but turned out to be a great female plant, very good pheno of whatever it is, I just harvested the plant from seed, and its almost done drying, I'm thinking I got 3.5-4 oz's off of it and It looks great. One thing about this plant is the stems are completely hollow, I cut the main stalk up last night and you could fit a pencil (or bigger) in the middle it is so hollow. And I am a newbie, but I think the root mass plant is lacking a little, It just isn't the root mass I've seen in pics.

My Sweet Deep Grapfruit (from dinafem) clones just got put into totes last night, so we'll see if strain has anything to do with it. I planted two SDG seeds, one was tall and lanky and the stalks were weak... The other was short, fat, super tight node spacing, and reeking like grapefruit, absolutely beautiful plant, she's gonna go the distance.

I am really trying to experience all the aspects and techniques of growing I can get my hands on and see what works best. I can't wait to run a few different strains.. starting off slowly. I would love to get my hands on a Lemon Cake or Free Leonard or both.

The more I grow, the more I realize how important genetics are. Or rather how important it is to understand the genetics you're working with. Northern Lights is the best growing plant I've ever seen in hydro. You might want to give it a shot. I'm not a big Indica fan though so I'm phasing it out after this grow. White Widow is loving the DWC as well.

i am really getting fascinated by using DWC. I have been solely organics in soil for the last year. I have really enjoyed using organics, and will continue to do so. but i am a forever-learner kind of person. so, the challenge of DWC drew me like a moth to a flame. i will venture with other methods before the day is done.

my understanding is that the Lucas formula in hydro/dwc setups has the nutrients already chemically broken down and available to the plant. while soil grows have the added benefit (and chore) of maintaining a great environment for your soil to be able to process the natural substances into food available for the roots to drink and the plant to process.

knowing that, giving Lucas style nutes to your plant in a soilless mix may be less than desirable, but still work. as for the organic approach you took, that all depends on the approach, and how well it addresses the media as an environment. this is even more true, i think, with soilless mixes. they have little to offer the roots in and of themselves. with them, you get EXACTLY what you put in to them in a very real sense. most soils of quality have some measure of macro and micro nutrients, as well as trichoderma and micorryzah to process it all in them.

I NEED HELP/ADVICE REAL BAD!!!!

so i set up a new RDWC kit, 10 buckets (8 grow sites, 1 control and 1 res) I am using 1" tubing to connect them all in a giant horseshoe pattern, but when I turn the pump on I am getting water backing up in the bucket that the control dumps into (it dumps from the top)...

anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this or something I should be doing different?

please help!!!

I NEED HELP/ADVICE REAL BAD!!!!

so i set up a new RDWC kit, 10 buckets (8 grow sites, 1 control and 1 res) I am using 1" tubing to connect them all in a giant horseshoe pattern, but when I turn the pump on I am getting water backing up in the bucket that the control dumps into (it dumps from the top)...

anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this or something I should be doing different?

please help!!!

I had that problem too. There are several things you can do. I did all three of these so I can't say which one worked, but all together they solved the problem.

- If your pump has a flow setting, turn it all the way down to low.

- Put a T valve in your reservoir or control so that half of the water flows back into it. This will help aerate the water as well.

gallery_15206_691_124623.jpg

- Put an extra drain hose higher up on the bucket that's flooding. So when there's overflow it will go back to the control/reservoir. Obviously the bigger the tubing, the better.

Redesign your buckets so the water from the reservoir/control does not flow into the first plant site and on the to next in the horseshoe or train pattern. Put a T valve in the middle or end of the system so that water is diverted to two plant sites instead of one. This way the water will flow slower. This is the setup I ended up with...

gallery_15206_691_57220.jpg

The water goes from the control/reservoir all the way down to the end of the line and then splits in two and from there it gets sucked back to the brain through the plant sites. So in all, my brain bucket has three return valves. If you do one or two of these changes you should be fine.

The more I grow, the more I realize how important genetics are. Or rather how important it is to understand the genetics you're working with. Northern Lights is the best growing plant I've ever seen in hydro. You might want to give it a shot. I'm not a big Indica fan though so I'm phasing it out after this grow. White Widow is loving the DWC as well.

Thanks for the advice. Where did you get your White Widow and Northern Lights? These are two strains that I definitely plan on trying out. I prefer to start from seed and cut my own clones rather than just obtaining clones. Any suggestions on choosing a seed supplier for these strains?

Thanks for the advice. Where did you get your White Widow and Northern Lights? These are two strains that I definitely plan on trying out. I prefer to start from seed and cut my own clones rather than just obtaining clones. Any suggestions on choosing a seed supplier for these strains?

I bought both from Ministry of Cannabis. Five out of five seeds sprouted for each and only one of the White Widow's was a stunted grower. The rest were very good plants and one was a cut above the rest when it came to yield so she became my mother plant.

http://www.ministryofcannabis.com/

Every evening this thread pops up and I see "Nix" as the poster (responder in most cases)

Way to pay it forward dude!

Yes!!! Thanks to nix and all of his thoughtful advice he has provided. Nothing helps the learning process better than teaching, I'm sure he is learning just as much as we are!

I have a question about rH while drying.

Right now my rH is 57% seems to be staying right around here for the most part, got as low as 53%. I read somewhere to aim for 40-50% while drying.

Temp has been around 73.

Can someone let me know if those numbers are good or if i need to change anything. Thanks.

I have a question about rH while drying.

Right now my rH is 57% seems to be staying right around here for the most part, got as low as 53%. I read somewhere to aim for 40-50% while drying.

Temp has been around 73.

Can someone let me know if those numbers are good or if i need to change anything. Thanks.

It should be fine. When the humidity is higher, it just takes longer to dry. It'll still get done, it'll just longer to hang dry.

Don't count on anyone's exact directions, because the rh is different at different times of the year.

I was following BG's curing instructions word for word. I hung for 3 days and then I put in brown bags for a couple days.

BG forgot to mention that his tutorial was taking place in the middle of summer with high humidity. I was doing mine in December, where the rh is usually very low in homes.

My meds were Very Much overdried.

I'm finding with these higher temps, the way that I've found best was to wait until the buds are crispy to the touch. Put them in your jar for 24 hours. Open the jar and the buds will all be wet again. I'll take them out and put them on my rack from anywhere from 4 hour until 16 hrs or so. Then I'll put them back in the jar and a bit more moisture will still come out of the middle of the buds, but you have enough moisture out them to begin the burping process.

That's how I do it at least. It becomes a pain in the summer time to dry meds, I know that much.

I guess the main point is don't rely on what somebody said word for word. Feel the buds, use your instincts.

(Cause BG, by accident, left out an important detail about time of year)

yeah, growing in Michigan indoors, is almost as rough as you're gonna find it. we have to be prepared for at least three types of climates in what are usually highly sealed places. i think if you can grow indoors in Michigan, you can grow anywhere. but i am a noob that has grown nowhere else but here. maybe i am just whining. but i don't think so.