Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

If plants have been on the 12/12 cycle for a few weeks, and they get an extra 2 hrs of light one time, how much effect would this have, if any?

P.S. nice lookin plants above :thumbsu: i also have a few mystery strains i need to put on here (but no camera :thumbsd:

It shouldn't be too big of a deal, my plants were 12 days in flower and the light got left on for 2 days straight... timer messed up. Some strains are more likely to hermie than others. Just keep an eye out for male flowers in the next week or so, if nothing happens, you should be good to go.

Edited by engineered_excellence

soil can be hotter than aero/hydro. I put my aero cloned into Fox Farm's Happy Frog - rather than the Fox Farm Ocean Forest blend - less fert.

You can stick with watering for couple of weeks, the soil might have enough nutes to feed the clone for a whole month! Stress by nutes can set a plant back by two weeks.

-DN

And speaking of the strain I am growing.. It was a single seed I held on to that was in a bag of some really good stuff I got a few years back. I am almost sure it was some commercially grown bud, but it was good. I planted it in a 5 gallon smart pot, It turned out to be female, took a bunch of clones off her, tried out air-layering, and decided to put her in flower at about 60 days veg. It is an excellent looking plant, very tight node spacing, strong stems, not woody, kind of fuzzy and hollow. I am actually wondering if anyone can help me identify what I am dealing with here.... pure indica? indica/sativa hybrid? Pics

From my experience I am seeing long narrow leaves - that shows sativa dominance. Indica dominant plants tend to grow shorter, wider leaves.

Also since you are growing from a mystery seed, you are right - it could be an outdoor grown strain that is not used to indoor's stricter controls. Some indoor strains do not adapt to outdoors well either.

Pure indicas and pure sativas are rare, and not likely in bag seed, you have either a sativa or indica dominant plant, and I say it appears sativa dominant. Since your pistils are changed to color, you are likely doing a late harvest - amber trichromes, and this can make a sativa more of a 'down'. Sativas should be harvested at cloudy trichromes, indicas, amber for their respective medicinal effect.

-DN

hey guys I am back w/another noob question. I got these clones straight out of the aero and stuck them in 1/2nutes. tips are just barely sizzled.if i just leave it r they gonna b ok or r they gonna die or stunt growth? p.s. pics r to big to upload how do i make them smaller?

DN's right if you're growing in dirt.

In water, I'll take a clone out the aero cloner and put it in net pot with hydroton and rockwool and just feed it ph'd water for a couple days just to play it safe.

I make those roots reach into the water before I move to half nutes. I'll do half of the lucas method for anywhere between 3 days to 7 days, depending on when I can get in there and switch it up. Then full force! biggrin.gif

DN's right if you're growing in dirt.

In water, I'll take a clone out the aero cloner and put it in net pot with hydroton and rockwool and just feed it ph'd water for a couple days just to play it safe.

I make those roots reach into the water before I move to half nutes. I'll do half of the lucas method for anywhere between 3 days to 7 days, depending on when I can get in there and switch it up. Then full force! biggrin.gif

I have dwc totes lucas method. I started them in half strength nutes because most roots were well developed. but will they live and grow through the burn or just stay idle til i change the water?

I have dwc totes lucas method. I started them in half strength nutes because most roots were well developed. but will they live and grow through the burn or just stay idle til i change the water?

They'll most likely live. I would put them back in ph'd water for 2 days and then re-introduce them to half strength if you want to play it super safe.

If plants have been on the 12/12 cycle for a few weeks, and they get an extra 2 hrs of light one time, how much effect would this have, if any?

P.S. nice lookin plants above :thumbsu: i also have a few mystery strains i need to put on here (but no camera :thumbsd:

You have nothing to worry about..2 hours once wont affect a thing.

Peace LM

From my experience I am seeing long narrow leaves - that shows sativa dominance. Indica dominant plants tend to grow shorter, wider leaves.

Also since you are growing from a mystery seed, you are right - it could be an outdoor grown strain that is not used to indoor's stricter controls. Some indoor strains do not adapt to outdoors well either.

Pure indicas and pure sativas are rare, and not likely in bag seed, you have either a sativa or indica dominant plant, and I say it appears sativa dominant. Since your pistils are changed to color, you are likely doing a late harvest - amber trichromes, and this can make a sativa more of a 'down'. Sativas should be harvested at cloudy trichromes, indicas, amber for their respective medicinal effect.

-DN

Thanks for your input, right now I am at 55 days and trichs are about 75% cloudy, I think I have spotted a couple random amber trichs, but I'm a noob so I was just not sure.. If it is a sativa dominant plant, would that mean that it would take much longer to finish.. or not necessarily? I am still getting some new pistil growth, and some the leaves higher up on the plant are starting to turn yellow and die off. I was planning on taking it to 60 days.

ive been getting some heat troubles with the last few warm days. i know the reason is becouse the air being pulled through my light is being exhausted in the same area (which is also connected to the grow). this hasnt been a problem yet due to outside temps. i will attempt to attach a crude(lol) drawing i did on paint. my main question is if i bought one of those metal "v's" for ducting, and had my light and carbon filter exhausting in the same area, as long as the v is past both the fans will this work? i was worried that maybe this would interfere with the can fan somehow. Where i put the red arrow is where i would put the v to exhaust both in upper left of drawing.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/gallery/image/11636-roompng/

ive been getting some heat troubles with the last few warm days. i know the reason is becouse the air being pulled through my light is being exhausted in the same area (which is also connected to the grow). this hasnt been a problem yet due to outside temps. i will attempt to attach a crude(lol) drawing i did on paint. my main question is if i bought one of those metal "v's" for ducting, and had my light and carbon filter exhausting in the same area, as long as the v is past both the fans will this work? i was worried that maybe this would interfere with the can fan somehow. Where i put the red arrow is where i would put the v to exhaust both in upper left of drawing.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/gallery/image/11636-roompng/

I'll do my best to interpret your diagram. It looks like you have two ducts going through your light, correct? This is redundant. I don't see any advantage to recirculating flowering room air back to your veg area. You don't need to have your ducting attached to your intake hole either. Remove that. Just leave it as an opening. Put your exhaust fan closer to your outtake hole at the end of your ducting. So basically you can just leave your filter where it is. It will suck air from the hole to your veg room, clean it, send it thru the the light (cooling it), and then exhausting it out of the room.

Something like this:

gallery_15206_691_42588.jpg

The place I am looking at right now has water with a PH of 7.5 and a ppm of 340. This is not good right? What can I do about this? I do not have much money at the moment. So reverse osmosis may be out of the question for now.

Get some pH down at your hydro store. It's not very expensive. But if you can't afford that then use lemon juice or vinager. The advantage of pH down is that you should only need a thimble full per gallon. I assume you have a way to test your pH? As for your PPM, you should be fine. It's a bit high but well within safety limits for humans or plants.

Edited by Nix

I am switching my lights on time from day to night. Should I give them extended daylight or night to shift the cycle? I don't have the time to slowly change.

I'm not totally sure what you mean, are you switching vegging plants from having lights on during the day to having lights on at night? I personally wouldn't recommend it, but just do it they will probably be fine. Just set it up so the lights are on 24 hrs and then start the new light cycle. If this is in a flowering room then absolutely do not do it unless you want hermies.

I'll do my best to interpret your diagram. It looks like you have two ducts going through your light, correct? This is redundant. I don't see any advantage to recirculating flowering room air back to your veg area. You don't need to have your ducting attached to your intake hole either. Remove that. Just leave it as an opening. Put your exhaust fan closer to your outtake hole at the end of your ducting. So basically you can just leave your filter where it is. It will suck air from the hole to your veg room, clean it, send it thru the the light (cooling it), and then exhausting it out of the room.

Something like this:

gallery_15206_691_42588.jpg

lol sry about the diagram, that seems so much less complicated than what i have going on tho, i just didnt know you could take air from the filter and send it through the light...and having one fan pushing air, and the other pulling air over the light wont affect anything negatively?

Edited by mrs. purplekush

lol sry about the diagram, that seems so much less complicated than what i have going on tho, i just didnt know you could take air from the filter and send it through the light...and having one fan pushing air, and the other pulling air over the light wont affect anything negatively?

It shouldn't. It's more efficient to pull air than to push it. I would probably take your weaker fan and put it in your intake hole so you get fresh air into the flowering room faster. But having inline shouldn't hurt anything.

I need to shift the light cycle for my flower room from running at day to running at night. Should I just leave the lights off the extra time to adjust?

I wouldn't do it if you can help it. Just let your plants finish and then make the switch for your next cycle. I would be interested in hearing from someone who has tried it though. How far along are they? If they've just been switched or are almost finished then you will have less chance of hermaphrodites.

I have adjusted the time during flowering one time. I did a little each day like an hour. Nothing happened, but I don't think I was changing from day to night, but just moving the time 3-4 hours to take advantage of the coolness at night. Remember each day is different outdoors so plants are kind of used to some change.

If you decide to try to move the cycle try to make your adjustment a less light day than more light day as this will help a lot in regards to turning Hermaphrodite.

It's your plants, but I would try to move them each day an hour. Remember you will still be getting the same amount of light, but more darkness each time you move the time. I personally do not think changing the darkness 1 hr each day will cause any problems. My experience has shown me that too much light once flowering can cause the Hermaphrodite. Trying the way I explained does not give the plant more light just more darkness. It might slow growth some, but I don't believe they will die from just the gradual move.

Edited by HE Warmke

I have adjusted the time during flowering one time. I did a little each day like an hour. Nothing happened, but I don't think I was changing from day to night, but just moving the time 3-4 hours to take advantage of the coolness at night. Remember each day is different outdoors so plants are kind of used to some change.

If you decide to try to move the cycle try to make your adjustment a less light day than more light day as this will help a lot in regards to turning Hermaphrodite.

It's your plants, but I would try to move them each day an hour. Remember you will still be getting the same amount of light, but more darkness each time you move the time. I personally do not think changing the darkness 1 hr each day will cause any problems. My experience has shown me that too much light once flowering can cause the Hermaphrodite. Trying the way I explained does not give the plant more light just more darkness. It might slow growth some, but I don't believe they will die from just the gradual move.

Exactly what he said but u can make the jump in larger amounts without problems just do it in dark hrs. and light like HE said and you will be fine. I have done this a lot and never had a problem. Peace, Afi

It shouldn't. It's more efficient to pull air than to push it. I would probably take your weaker fan and put it in your intake hole so you get fresh air into the flowering room faster. But having inline shouldn't hurt anything.

if this will work i will be really grateful, my last concern is then...will whatever fan is the strongest be strong enough to pull air in the filter, through the light and out the room? thanks for all the help!

if this will work i will be really grateful, my last concern is then...will whatever fan is the strongest be strong enough to pull air in the filter, through the light and out the room? thanks for all the help!

It depends how big your room is, how much ducting you have, and primarily the CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating on your fan. If you have two fans in your ducting then you should be fine. It's just a question of how often you want to exchange the air in the room.