Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

was reading about co2 and thought about my paintball day..... those tanks were co2 couldent one of those tanks be used as a poor mans co2 system?

in theory yes, in actuality no.........

back in my paintballing days, co2 came in 2 forms..... the cartridge, or the 20oz tank.

now of course the cartridges were throw away.... but the 20oz tanks could be refilled. when you took them to get refilled, they fill them off a larger tank. this is what you are after.

on the norm, a 20 pound tank can last about 30-45 days in a 8x8 room.

im sure you could find the right adapters and a regulator to fit a 20 ounce tank, but you would be running down to fill it every day......

I do not know what it is about me, but I suck at cloning.....they consistently show stress and take forever to "pop"....I use rockwool cubes with cloneX, just like a buddy of mine and he has no problems. His look great and pop in 7 days...I use 2 20 watt cool white t-20's with a dome and a heating mat...any info anyone have for me? I cant figure it out, I even tried a DIY AERO cloner, and that failed horribly....

With BG not feeling well, I will try to help... 1st it is important to get your feed/water schedule optimized, true you dont want to overwater, but waiting till the soil pulls away from the sides and/or soil almost bone dry is hurting your roots. If there is no moisture, the root tips start to die off, which can lead to more problems.

By what you are saying about the little food you have given, how well they respond to food, and that the ph going in and out is at 7ish, I would say to feed them. My question is about what you fed them, Grow Big 6-4-4 by itself may not be adequate? When I tried FF a couple years ago, it was used in conjunction with Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom +. I just saw you posted about feeding Sensi A and B (guess I was a bit slow). I do beleive giving them a full balanced meal was all they needed.

Good Luck!

Thanks for you input.

They responded very well to the feeding with Sensi. Perked right up, they look much greener and vigorous. Haven't looked at them since this morning, it's now been over 24 hours since the feeding. . . going out to check them again after the kids go to bed.

Thanks for you input.

They responded very well to the feeding with Sensi. Perked right up, they look much greener and vigorous. Haven't looked at them since this morning, it's now been over 24 hours since the feeding. . . going out to check them again after the kids go to bed.

Hey Les, I'm glad things have perked up. Keep an eye on everything, and ask when you have questions. These guys are good!

:unsure: I've got a bubbletote question. I had some cuttigs in cold storage, because i couldn't have any more plants. Today I harvested, so I made the shift. One of the plants was really happy in the cold, dark place. The roots are as long as your fore arm. I didn't even think about trying to get her out of the 2" net pot, so I just pulled a few roots through the 6" pot and nestled her in. Will that work? I trimmed her up a bit, and she seems fine. :unsure:

im sure you could find the right adapters and a regulator to fit a 20 ounce tank, but you would be running down to fill it every day......

It's just my opinion, but CO2 is not a worthwhile adventure for the economical grower.

Recirculation of the environment is much more important.

Is it not?

hey bubblegrower, how can I cut holes in my bucket lids? I tried to find a hole saw, but no luck on size...any tips for me? and yes I am also going to cut the 2 inch hole for easy maintenance (but i have the right drill bit for that!) ...lol

I use a jig saw. They are pretty inexpensive and work good for other things as well. I first drill a hole and then stick the blade of the jigsaw in that hole and start tracing my inked template.

I think BG uses some kind of razor knife. I didn't want to lose a finger, so opted for the jig saw.

razor-knife.jpg

Edited by Royal Smoke

It's just my opinion, but CO2 is not a worthwhile adventure for the economical grower.

Recirculation of the environment is much more important.

Is it not?

I agree. CO2 is a waste for small rooms. There are plenty of other variables to optimize first. Also, The benefits of CO2 (faster plant metabolism) require optimal conditions, with a TON of light.

i concur! :thumbsu:

hey bubblegrower, how can I cut holes in my bucket lids? I tried to find a hole saw, but no luck on size...any tips for me? and yes I am also going to cut the 2 inch hole for easy maintenance (but i have the right drill bit for that!) ...lol

yup, royalsmoke had it right, i use a razor knife................. once you cut a few out, its gets pretty simple.

obviously a jig-saw would be MUCH safer though.

med_gallery_13801_60_58881.jpg

actually, if you score the circle one time real good, it cuts out pretty easy. if you attempt this method, try angling your blade instead of cutting straight down on it. it will cut much much easier for you.

I made up this handy little hole cutting tool. Actually have one now for each size net pot that I'm using. One side is pointed and goes into the center of your hole (I give it a little center punch first so it wont wander). The other side is ground to a sharp edge, like a chissel. Four or five sweeps around, and it cuts right through tote and bucket lids. All that cutting with a utility knife made my hands ache, and i didn't want a slip-up to leave me leakin all over the place.

post-16255-0-71160600-1295023794_thumb.jpg

I made up this handy little hole cutting tool. Actually have one now for each size net pot that I'm using. One side is pointed and goes into the center of your hole (I give it a little center punch first so it wont wander). The other side is ground to a sharp edge, like a chissel. Four or five sweeps around, and it cuts right through tote and bucket lids. All that cutting with a utility knife made my hands ache, and i didn't want a slip-up to leave me leakin all over the place.

post-16255-0-71160600-1295023794_thumb.jpg

That tool looks pretty nifty! Let's bring it to the market for those of us that like our fingers! :goodjob:

I've got a botany question for any who dare to share results or hypothesis.

Well I am a little new to the autoflower strains. Living in northern MI these seem like just the ticket.

my question is: what if you pollenate an auto with a standard strain? would the offspring be autos? would they just be extra short flowering time? or Would they flower earlier in the season in natrual conditions.

My thinking is I could grow an auto indoor for seed and then have a bunch of seed to grow out, pollinate again and save the seeds from the pheno that I like best for future runs.

OR. Would I be smarter to stress an auto into herm status and get just a few (likely) female seeds from her?

I know It's a lot of different questions. Autos kinda confuse me, could someone direct me to info on where we got autos in the first place?

I've got a botany question for any who dare to share results or hypothesis.

Well I am a little new to the autoflower strains. Living in northern MI these seem like just the ticket.

my question is: what if you pollenate an auto with a standard strain? would the offspring be autos? would they just be extra short flowering time? or Would they flower earlier in the season in natrual conditions.

My thinking is I could grow an auto indoor for seed and then have a bunch of seed to grow out, pollinate again and save the seeds from the pheno that I like best for future runs.

OR. Would I be smarter to stress an auto into herm status and get just a few (likely) female seeds from her?

I know It's a lot of different questions. Autos kinda confuse me, could someone direct me to info on where we got autos in the first place?

I'll take half your dare. I have no results, although I've read much about this. I will offer a hypothesis. On a cellular level, basically the DNA of the female plant will send out its information in mRNA and using available enzymes will bind with molecules from the male plant and start to build proteins which will bond together chemically along with a whole bunch of glucose and together make themselves into a seed which has a unique little one of those helixes and carries characteristics of both plants, but that's not to say that this is the first time these strains have ever been crossed, (breath...) and somewhere in there that magical germ of life makes it's way into the seed and then you just have to grow them out to see what you've created and then cull them and keep the characterisics you want and share them with the rest of the world because your results will increase appetite, reduce stress and anxiety, increase muscle relaxation, and probably be well worth the effort. I say GO FOR IT!!!

thanks for the hyp.toad 50/50 25/75 chances I get some phenos that carry what I am after. so if I got pollen from an auto and kept back crossing I could isolate what i am looking for, is what your telling me. I have done some breading over the years, well back crossing actually. I had a batch of seed that contained two distinct phenos. I was after a certain phenotype of that plant that I had seeds from and never got any males. I finnally got one so I started selecting the indaca looking ones and back crossing with the pollen saved from that one male. eventually I got another male from the newer seeds and crossed again and again thinking I would be producing an inbreed line. I still ended up getting two distinct plants from each recross. I passed all the seed on to a friend when I move outta state. Anyway that project took place over the course of many years. I just want a way now to produce a batch of autos for home use, but there always feminized.

Sorry to be long winded but I wanted to make my goal more clear, in case any one else can give me more definitive insight.

... just want a way now to produce a batch of autos for home use...

I think you had an excellent question Glacier, I'm just not sure how to get the "now" part. I'd bet that big pharma and big ag and our wonderful govt know some stuff about switching genetics on and off, and could probably produce just what you're looking for. The rest of us have to do it the old fashioned way. It's a craft, and I'm sure that there are growers here with useful information for you. Seems like some of them have been quiet lately. Life gets busy sometimes. I wish you well on your quest. Please share what you find with the rest of us.

Toad

Does any one know the correct mixture of h2o2 and water to fight powdery mildew??? any advice on solving this problem would be great....

on a side note, I was looking for a large drywall/hole saw, but I could not find a big enough it to make the holes, since BG uses 5" and I use 7" this is where I "screwed the pooch" as my friend so eloquently put it.

another update of my mess up's, I lost all my clones....I am still the world champion of being horrible at taking clones!!!! but my buddy game me some rooted clones today, so my bubble bucket system is up and running....they are at half lucas formula right now and I am hoping for some quick veg with my MASSIVE air pump that BG suggested......

But another question I have is how long should I let them veg?? I know times will differ but in reference to size/height, 12", 16", 2ft? I am running some train wreck and purple wreck so I know they will stretch in flower.....

thanks for all the help by the way....many years of doing this another way has got me questioning my every step!!

Does any one know the correct mixture of h2o2 and water to fight powdery mildew??? any advice on solving this problem would be great....

I've never heard of using water and Hydrogen Peroxide on powdery mildew. Root rot, maybe.....

Maybe you're thinking about baking soda, soap, and water......

I'd do a Sulfur burn or I think someone used something called 'Green Cure' or something. I'll have to check on that one.