Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

found some more....clipped them out...as long as no pollen goes flying I am ok with it......

a super stupid question....The strains I am running (og kush, bubblegum, DJ bb) I have only run in hydro, this is my first soil run, does soil make plants finish faster?

I looked through the magnifier today and most of the trich's are cloudy, and my bubble gum even have about 10% amber...unless I got my dates wrong (which could have happened) these are about done, and its only been 7.5 weeks (maybe 8 weeks tops)

Hey, I'm going to try out some hempy buckets. It's been a while since i've done any hydro. I've read MR. Nice actual hempy posts and Icmag origional retrieval I've learned a lot, and have a good idea of what to do.

The question I have is if i use the 3 part GH formula like he suggests will i need to ph at all using ro water? I've heard that GH ph adjusts. I'm not going to use the runoff... Oh another question i have is whether or not i need to use calmag.

hope these questions haven't been answered.

Hey, I'm going to try out some hempy buckets. It's been a while since i've done any hydro. I've read MR. Nice actual hempy posts and Icmag origional retrieval I've learned a lot, and have a good idea of what to do.

The question I have is if i use the 3 part GH formula like he suggests will i need to ph at all using ro water? I've heard that GH ph adjusts. I'm not going to use the runoff... Oh another question i have is whether or not i need to use calmag.

hope these questions haven't been answered.

yes, you will probably have to adjust the ph of the nutrient/water mix slightly. the best thing to do is to mix up a batch, throw an air stone in it overnight, and then take your reading before introducing plants. and the cal/mag probably will not be necessary, but the only one who can decide that is your plants. different strains have different needs/wants.

yes, you will probably have to adjust the ph of the nutrient/water mix slightly. the best thing to do is to mix up a batch, throw an air stone in it overnight, and then take your reading before introducing plants. and the cal/mag probably will not be necessary, but the only one who can decide that is your plants. different strains have different needs/wants.

How long can I keep synthetics bubbeling before they go bad? Oh and really appreciate the help. Thanks.

KEEPING YOUR WATER COOL

i have been asked a million times how i keep my water cooled to 68-70° and i have answered it a million times too :)

but it's time to put it all together and add it to the collection of information in this thread.

it is very very difficult to safely keep a good water temp in each individual bucket/tote so the first thing we need to do is link them together and then to a central "control bucket"

see the DIY here: http://michiganmedic...post__p__167774

here's the basic diagram:

gallery_13801_60_18812.jpg

and here's what it looks like in real life:

med_gallery_13801_60_111357.jpg

ok those are all white buckets with black lids, except for the one at the top. that black bucket is the control bucket. there will be no plant in this bucket.

what isnt shown in these pics is a water pump that goes inside the control bucket ans pumps water to the furthest away bucket in the line.

med_gallery_13801_60_1338158.jpg

so ideally there would be another long line from the control bucket to the last bucket in the chain...... continuously pumping water 24/7 from the control bucket back into the system. once it gets into the system, it mixes with all the other water and eventually gravity forces it back to the control bucket.

this is a RDWC system...... recirculating deep water culture.

i check all my numbers (ph/temp/ec) from the control bucket. i also add water/nutes to the control bucket rather than filling each one individually.

a GREAT thing about this set-up is the ability to keep it cool for pretty cheap. first, you can extend the line to the control bucket donkey long as you like and actually place the control bucket in a different/cooler room. or you can put r.o. ice blocks in the control bucket to cool that water down. then that water gets pumped/mixed into the plants water....... cooling it down as well.

i picked up a bunch of these thick plastic bowls from meijer. they hold one gallon of water perfectly.

gallery_13801_60_402811.jpg

just dump the block in the control bucket and let it melt.

another great way is frozen 2-liter bottles. i like these because they are a thick plastic that can withstand the freezing/thawing, and the labels are easy to remove.

gallery_13801_60_38133.jpg

easy to keep a rotation going....... when one thaws, put it in the freezer, pull out a frozen one, wash it off real quick, and throw it in.

or, you can buy a $400 water chiller :)

^^^^see this is the type of help I am talking about.....we need more of this....

I always thought the control bucket sucked from the farthest bucket and pushed into the closest....now I see its the exact opposite, pushing into the farthest and allowing it to work back into the near buckets and then eventually back into the control bucket and the system of life repeats....

I might scrapped my bubble buckets, and hook them all up today!!!!!

KEEPING YOUR WATER COOL

i have been asked a million times how i keep my water cooled to 68-70° and i have answered it a million times too :)

but it's time to put it all together and add it to the collection of information in this thread.

it is very very difficult to safely keep a good water temp in each individual bucket/tote so the first thing we need to do is link them together and then to a central "control bucket"

see the DIY here: http://michiganmedic...post__p__167774

here's the basic diagram:

gallery_13801_60_18812.jpg

and here's what it looks like in real life:

med_gallery_13801_60_111357.jpg

ok those are all white buckets with black lids, except for the one at the top. that black bucket is the control bucket. there will be no plant in this bucket.

what isnt shown in these pics is a water pump that goes inside the control bucket ans pumps water to the furthest away bucket in the line.

med_gallery_13801_60_1338158.jpg

so ideally there would be another long line from the control bucket to the last bucket in the chain...... continuously pumping water 24/7 from the control bucket back into the system. once it gets into the system, it mixes with all the other water and eventually gravity forces it back to the control bucket.

this is a RDWC system...... recirculating deep water culture.

i check all my numbers (ph/temp/ec) from the control bucket. i also add water/nutes to the control bucket rather than filling each one individually.

a GREAT thing about this set-up is the ability to put r.o. ice blocks in the control bucket to cool that water down. then that water gets pumped/mixed into the plants water....... cooling it down as well.

i picked up a bunch of these thick plastic bowls from meijer. they hold one gallon of water perfectly.

gallery_13801_60_402811.jpg

just dump the block in the control bucket and let it melt.

another great way is frozen 2-liter bottles. i like these because they are a thick plastic that can withstand the freezing/thawing, and the labels are easy to remove.

gallery_13801_60_38133.jpg

easy to keep a rotation going....... when one thaws, put it in the freezer, pull out a frozen one, wash it off real quick, and throw it in.

or, you can buy a $400 water chiller :)

This deserves its own thread.

I think it improves growth more than any other tweak you could make to this type of system.

^^^^see this is the type of help I am talking about.....we need more of this....

I always thought the control bucket sucked from the farthest bucket and pushed into the closest....now I see its the exact opposite, pushing into the farthest and allowing it to work back into the near buckets and then eventually back into the control bucket and the system of life repeats....

I might scrapped my bubble buckets, and hook them all up today!!!!!

yuppers :) you got it now!

also, a little side note... i prefer to just add an extra 1/2" hole in the lid of the furthest bucket and dump the water from the water pump like that.

here is where some people like to take that single line, and branch it into a bunch of sphagetti tubes and attach drip emitters on the ends and then put one in the top of each plant.

over many many mnay cycles, i have found this to NOT be a good way to do it.

having anything dripping through your clay pebbles is not good. depending on your nutes, drippers could dramatically increase salt build-ups in the root mass. also, anything from the air that may settle on top of your clay pebbles will eventually gets washed down into the water below. not good. also, those dang drippers clog too easy.... especially when using most organic nutes.

i have found that the water cycles faster, and everything just runs easier/smoother if you just dump it all in the farthest bucket.

in more evolved medical cannabis settings hydro ain't medical by law

see other countries that never outlawed or quietly reintegrated cannabis into their Pharmacopoeia

finding the countries will show how biased our press really is

that is my "take" on hydro v soil

Interesting. I guess I always thought that soil was a choice, and less evolved than hydro. Not casting any aspersions, just that soil is more of a "purest" method. I know and admire many soil growers who have become masters at their craft. And many users who insist on soil grown.

As for not being "true medicine"', I can only make an observation. I grow hydro. I took a few buds from my Uncle Buck (Yoruba X Pink Floyd) when the trichs were still clear. I dried it in a paper bag full of shredded paper bag. When the stems would snap, I put it in a jar. I open the jar every day to get a pinch and exchange the air. It hasn't developed an awesome dank, but it's fruity with a really smooth smoke. The mind bend is fun, but it passes quickly. The pain relief is awesome! I suffer from chronic pain, and the pain relief lasts for hours. I know that experienced growers will understand the science behind what I did, but for me it's an epiphany! This is just the medicine that I've been looking for. Not "true medicine"??? I don't agree! It will be interesting to see what she's like when she's ripe.

I think that the whole soil vs hydro thing is a choice. Isn't that what this is all about... a choice? I think that it's silly to imply that someone who decides to grow hydro isn't making true medicine.

Whatever you choose, I wish you success.

Interesting. I guess I always thought that soil was a choice, and less evolved than hydro. Not casting any aspersions, just that soil is more of a "purest" method. I know and admire many soil growers who have become masters at their craft. And many users who insist on soil grown.

As for not being "true medicine"', I can only make an observation. I grow hydro. I took a few buds from my Uncle Buck (Yoruba X Pink Floyd) when the trichs were still clear. I dried it in a paper bag full of shredded paper bag. When the stems would snap, I put it in a jar. I open the jar every day to get a pinch and exchange the air. It hasn't developed an awesome dank, but it's fruity with a really smooth smoke. The mind bend is fun, but it passes quickly. The pain relief is awesome! I suffer from chronic pain, and the pain relief lasts for hours. I know that experienced growers will understand the science behind what I did, but for me it's an epiphany! This is just the medicine that I've been looking for. Not "true medicine"??? I don't agree! It will be interesting to see what she's like when she's ripe.

I think that the whole soil vs hydro thing is a choice. Isn't that what this is all about... a choice? I think that it's silly to imply that someone who decides to grow hydro isn't making true medicine.

Whatever you choose, I wish you success.

I imply nothing. I stated that by law hydro grown cannabis is not allowed into a true medical setting such as in the Netherlands where one goes to a pharmacy and not a coffee shop(if you knew what many of those places did to the ganga you would never set foot in the 'Dam again)for ones medicine. India has always had medical cannabis as part of their Aruyevedic practice and it is not grown hydroponically. Clean, smooth and gonna pass GSMS standards is only possible in soil. The hydro marketeers will be the guys supplying the recreational market so they can get a faster turnover. The more complex demands of a medicinal herb cannot be profiled in with the right additives. Mother Nature does that. Hydro growers like to think they can play god and it is funny watching them until you realize that crap is going into the water table.

I do not have to handle anything that could hurt me and my grow does not pollute. My grow is part of the Earth cycle and when I get my solar array up and powering my lights then I will feel even better about gettin greener.

Well Dutch, thanks for the initiative, I wasn't aware that their was Pharmacuetical Cannabis Available. Also very interested in the Indian Pharmacopia. Ive spaent the last Hour reaserching this and here's what I found.

A report done to determine the differences between Pharmacuetical Cannaibis from the Pharms in Holland and Medicinal Cannabis from the Coffee Shops. It basically determined that the only difference Pharms was less contaminated (Fungus, bacteria, etc) and also higher priced. Also there are only two Pharmacuetical Cannabis Products: 'Bedrobinol' and 'Bedrocan' with the former having nearly twice the Water Content @8%. The Pharmies was more consistant, Expensive, Clean and Costly.

The Complete Report

http://www.cannabis-...n_2006_01_1.pdf

Here is the Aruyevedic Pharmacopia http://www.tkdl.res....us+10+documents Allready set to Cannabis

Wonder how long it would take us to have a setup like this [minus] the Pharms, hey I can Dream, anyways ....

rats and mice neither link opened oops nvr mind now i got it

I got my cannabis from a pharmacy in Groeningen when I was living in Bremen(long story) I also have a friend partnered in a coffee shop there and he told me about things like scraping the buds and cutting the hash. Any cannabis submitted to the pharmacies has to be certified organic. I like my lettuce hydroponic but even then it ain't all that tasty. I worked in a green house that had hydro and soil going together. They supplied pharmacy and coffee shop clients. I wish I was back in the EU what with the repubs headed our way this spring and all that nasty prohibition crap springing up everywhere.

Well Dutch, thanks for the initiative, I wasn't aware that their was Pharmacuetical Cannabis Available. Also very interested in the Indian Pharmacopia. Ive spaent the last Hour reaserching this and here's what I found.

A report done to determine the differences between Pharmacuetical Cannaibis from the Pharms in Holland and Medicinal Cannabis from the Coffee Shops. It basically determined that the only difference Pharms was less contaminated (Fungus, bacteria, etc) and also higher priced. Also there are only two Pharmacuetical Cannabis Products: 'Bedrobinol' and 'Bedrocan' with the former having nearly twice the Water Content @8%. The Pharmies was more consistant, Expensive, Clean and Costly.

The Complete Report

http://www.cannabis-...n_2006_01_1.pdf

Here is the Aruyevedic Pharmacopia http://www.tkdl.res....us+10+documents Allready set to Cannabis

Wonder how long it would take us to have a setup like this [minus] the Pharms, hey I can Dream, anyways ....

wow thank you!

good stuff too.

I was able to get what the pharmacy guy called Snuie Wiejt. as best as I remember it was snow white a type of white widow. Perhaps things have changed. Groningen is north of the 'Dam and may have done things different for a while. Gotta get back there soon.

a couple months ago i acquired 4 clones that unfortunately were infested with spider mites and thrips.

I was able to kill all the mites and all the thrips on the leaves and upper part of the plant. I have had mites before and it was no big deal getting rid of them. It was the first time i had thrips so i read about them and found a chemical called Spinosad and purchased a spray that was very effective and got rid of all thrips on the upper part of the plant(everything above the roots)

i am changing over from growing in rockwool to 5 gal DWC buckets. The thrips that are living in the rockwool i was never able to get rid of them. And since i am not going to be using rockwool cubes anymore and changing over to DWC buckets, i figured when these plants were done the thrips would be gone.

Well the bad news in that for the first time, i am seeing these thrips in the DWC buckets today when i changed the water/nutrients out. I am not sure if the chemical i used before can be applied to the roots and i never heard of anyone using this chemical in this manner.

My question is, has anyone got experience with critters in the water of their buckets? is there a way i can kill and get rid of these things? I see no sign of them outside the buckets- just inside floating in the water and on the roots. any help would be greatly appreciated!! i have only been doing DWC for a short time and i'm having a hard time finding info on this.

a couple months ago i acquired 4 clones that unfortunately were infested with spider mites and thrips.

I was able to kill all the mites and all the thrips on the leaves and upper part of the plant. I have had mites before and it was no big deal getting rid of them. It was the first time i had thrips so i read about them and found a chemical called Spinosad and purchased a spray that was very effective and got rid of all thrips on the upper part of the plant(everything above the roots)

i am changing over from growing in rockwool to 5 gal DWC buckets. The thrips that are living in the rockwool i was never able to get rid of them. And since i am not going to be using rockwool cubes anymore and changing over to DWC buckets, i figured when these plants were done the thrips would be gone.

Well the bad news in that for the first time, i am seeing these thrips in the DWC buckets today when i changed the water/nutrients out. I am not sure if the chemical i used before can be applied to the roots and i never heard of anyone using this chemical in this manner.

My question is, has anyone got experience with critters in the water of their buckets? is there a way i can kill and get rid of these things? I see no sign of them outside the buckets- just inside floating in the water and on the roots. any help would be greatly appreciated!! i have only been doing DWC for a short time and i'm having a hard time finding info on this.

Back in the end of the summer, when the bugs were still EVERYWHERE, I picked up an organic spectricide. It says that it helps with insects, mites, and fungus. (btw... are mites arachnids?) I mixed it up at a 100:1 ratio, and sprayed it all over my plants until they were dripping. You have to do this at lights out, or if in veg, turn the lights off for an hour or so after spraying. I also added it to my nutes at half the spray ratio. All of the bugs vanished, and I maintained that regimen until I went into flower. It worked for me, and I'll probably keep it up unless I find that it has some adverse effect.

sorry, im no help. i have never had a bug in my water.. and i had no clue that thrips could survive in water?? news to me.

:blink: On Dec. 5th I was looking at some white trichomes, so I started flushing them. I'm in bubble totes. I've been waiting to see some color, but it just isn't happening yet. Did I screw something up? Do I need more patience? Will it happen fast? LOL! :blink: I've had my Fiskars and my surgical gloves out for days. I want to cut something! :sword:

Am I too anxiuos?

found some more....clipped them out...as long as no pollen goes flying I am ok with it......

a super stupid question....The strains I am running (og kush, bubblegum, DJ bb) I have only run in hydro, this is my first soil run, does soil make plants finish faster?

I looked through the magnifier today and most of the trich's are cloudy, and my bubble gum even have about 10% amber...unless I got my dates wrong (which could have happened) these are about done, and its only been 7.5 weeks (maybe 8 weeks tops)

i think most plants have a 10 day window you will be fine inn dirt anyway