Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

hey Bubble

i am in a situation

i have 60" from concrete floor to bottom of floor joists

i have 3 gallon bubble buckets and 30 gallon reservoir for the grow with a recirculating system.

buckets are lower height than five gallon-but still i have only 48 inches from bucket tops to ceiling-add grow lights that are 8" deep and now its 40" to grow in-if i use a 1000w light i have to subtract 12"-18" inches from that height and that puts me at max plant height of about only 24" inches <_<

do i use a 1k light?

do i use T5's?

do i use multiple-600W X 2.....400W X 3.....or.....250W X 4 .....instead???????????

also what are the approximate distances away from plant tops for each?

grow area is 6'w X 8'L X 5'11"ht

any system will be airduct/inline fan cooled with glass enclosed reflectors-much help needed also is it a best bet to just use Growco (W. MI.) or HTG(online)

thanks-Tater

happy Sunday/Trimday to you BG

i'd go with dual dual 1000's.

i try to never let a 1000w cover more than 25sq. ft. (30 tops) you are dealing with 48. you would have 2- 4' x 6' prints and cover 24sq ft with each 1k lamp.

if all goes well, you will be able to have your plant tops literally just inches away from the glass. no matter what lamps you use, with proper circulation/exhaust/and glass enclosed air cooled hoods, you can get right up in there with your plants :)

i like growco because wendi is the best :) and the free shipping over $250 helps too. if i make an order from growco before noon today, it will be at my door by noon tomorrow. free ship. i like that :)

and on the very very rare occasion that growco has messed up an order of mine, they are always so quick to make it right and send freebies too :)

i dont want to take any juice from them, but these systems are pretty nice too for the money:

https://www.ultralohydro.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=139

i have one i been using non-stop for 6 months now with not even a flicker.

wow that is a great price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can buy two for what i paid for just one unit from growco

i am uncomfortable about the 1000W just to let you know-actual grow area is 4'X 5'

how many inches to the reflector can i get?

i am going to have to tie down everything!

someone said hortilux super HPS bulbs are not the bulb to use with a digital ballast?

i decided to use poly tubing instead of vinyl because of the issues everyone was having-i was wondering too.....what set up doyou use for odor control?

i used to use NEG ION GEN in the 80's but no one sells the horticultural ones anymore any ideas will help

Thanks BG for your time-Tater

wow that is a great price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can buy two for what i paid for just one unit from growco

i am uncomfortable about the 1000W just to let you know-actual grow area is 4'X 5'

how many inches to the reflector can i get?

i am going to have to tie down everything!

someone said hortilux super HPS bulbs are not the bulb to use with a digital ballast?

i decided to use poly tubing instead of vinyl because of the issues everyone was having-i was wondering too.....what set up doyou use for odor control?

i used to use NEG ION GEN in the 80's but no one sells the horticultural ones anymore any ideas will help

Thanks BG for your time-Tater

yeah, that deal from ultralohydo is pretty sweet.

old hortilux lamps are meant for digital ballasts

if all goes well, you will be able to have your plant tops literally just inches away from the glass. no matter what lamps you use, with proper circulation/exhaust/and glass enclosed air cooled hoods,

HEY BG can you respond to the more important questions like how close can you let plant tops get to the reflector/Light-people are saying 12-18 inches????????????????

already did, because i am good like that.

I have 2 quick questions...I have been getting a lot of requests from people about a tutorial about germinating seeds...

also, I am currently building bubblegrower's bubble tote's with my own little change (multiple not connected 5 gallon buckets), but I am running into water temp problems, how do you keep your temps down....???

---------------------------------------------------------------------

keeping your totes connected is key if you have water temp probs. if connected you can use a chiller, ice blocks, cold water, or anything else you want.

having them separate is obviously going to be much more work.

its easier to add a cooling agent to one tote/bucket and have it pumped to all the others.

the distance from your plant top to lamp is going to vary in every grow room.

there are so many factors that differ.

but, if you have proper circulation (oscillating fans, fans up, fans down) you can have your buds touching the glass. i dont recommend it, give yourself an inch to be safe, and keep an eye on them, but yeah..... geeky close :)

I've just spent the last two days (on and off) reading this thread from start to finish... Whew! Tons of great information, I feel like I've just completed a 101 course! I do have a few questions for the profs here. What criteria do you use for selecting your "mom" plants? I mean besides obviously being female :). Do you keep your mother plants in soil or a bubble tote? I would think that soil would be better for keeping a plant long term, but that's just me. Is keeping mother plants even necessary in a perpetual grow setup? Seem to me that you could just take your clones from the best plants you have in flowering, or would the genetics get too watered down after X number of cycles?

I've just spent the last two days (on and off) reading this thread from start to finish... Whew! Tons of great information, I feel like I've just completed a 101 course! I do have a few questions for the profs here. What criteria do you use for selecting your "mom" plants? I mean besides obviously being female :). Do you keep your mother plants in soil or a bubble tote? I would think that soil would be better for keeping a plant long term, but that's just me. Is keeping mother plants even necessary in a perpetual grow setup? Seem to me that you could just take your clones from the best plants you have in flowering, or would the genetics get too watered down after X number of cycles?

you pretty much have it right.

most people keep their mother plants in soil. they grow too fast in bubbles. also, in soil, you can keep the plant smaller by slowly raising pot sizes, or even air pruning the roots.

mother plants are picked for their genes. pretty simple. the best/strongest/fastest/most potent...... whatever you are looking for.

depending on how many plants you have in your perp grow, yeah you could get away with just taking clones off of the vegging plants just before you put them into flower, but if you have more than 12-24 plants in your garden, it becomes difficult to take mass clones from a bunch of different plants....... plus, (i have been pretty lucky over the years) but many people say that a strain loses a bit of its potency/size after so many generations.

so many people keep one mother for years and they always have the same generation clones to use, as opposed to a new generation every time you take a cut.

glad to hear you took the time to read!! im sure you are a better grower because of it :)

I've just spent the last two days (on and off) reading this thread from start to finish... Whew! Tons of great information, I feel like I've just completed a 101 course!

next in line is the grow journal for a more "hands-on" look at what you have learned :)

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/20296-bubblegrowers-perpetual-budget-grow-journal/

depending on how many plants you have in your perp grow, yeah you could get away with just taking clones off of the vegging plants just before you put them into flower, but if you have more than 12-24 plants in your garden, it becomes difficult to take mass clones from a bunch of different plants....... plus, (i have been pretty lucky over the years) but many people say that a strain loses a bit of its potency/size after so many generations.

I'm plotting and planning around the 12 plant 18 day schedule you outlined, so taking a few clones from the plants going into flowering wouldn't be difficult if for whatever reason a mother plant wouldn't be up to having a few clones taken from it.

next in line is the grow journal for a more "hands-on" look at what you have learned :)

Woo-hoo! More course work! :)

if you are just leaving the house one time for 3-4 days i wouldnt go nuts with the construction and money though honestly.

i dont know your situation, so im just talking out of my butt right now......

but if you leave OFTEN for 3-4 days at a time, then im with ya............. if not, just dim your ballast if you can, turn your fans down one speed, water them in good, and leave.

there is no sin in mimicking a couple cloudy days outside. we give our plants full light constantly indoors because we can. its not so outdoors though. a "cloudy" day or 3 indoors is not going to hurt anything.

and the lower temps, lower light, lower fans will help your pots stay moist longer. 3-4 days shouldnt be a problem assuming they are in some kind of real pot and not a little party cup :)

Serious high winds knocked out my power for 40 hours 2 days ago and 6 more today. I have a generator but I worry about voltage surges when it is running and damaging my my ballast so I hadn't run my lights for that time. How much does it stress the plants? (12 plant perpetual grow all stages 2 mothers /clones/veg/flower) I know it's hard to find any factual evidence on such a matter but I was just throwing this out there for you more experienced growers to ponder and tell what you guys do????? What can I do about foxtailing? It is a serious problem with all of my previous 6 plants. Temps are in the high70's, humidity 40%, foxfrmof soil, 600watt hps using Sensi Grow and Sensi Bloom for nutes but just got the new Humboldt Nutirients Oneness. I don't know what the heck I can do to grow tighter buds or what I can do to cure the cause, and grow the cure! Thanks for reading my ramblings!