Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

We know... lol

Interesting fact: Jipo and I met in 5th grade and became best friends because we were both late on the first day of school, wearing identical grave digger shirts lol

Theres gonna be lots of bubbles where we live.. lmao

True. Grave Digger and late for school was just the start, booted from countries ensued later in life along with many many troublesome adventures.... :lol:

We know... lol

Interesting fact: Jipo and I met in 5th grade and became best friends because we were both late on the first day of school, wearing identical grave digger shirts lol

Theres gonna be lots of bubbles where we live.. lmao

True. Grave Digger and late for school was just the start, booted from countries ensued later in life along with many many troublesome adventures.... :lol:

wow, you guys actually admitting to this?? :)

great story, you can't buy that in hollywood :)

Was wondering what everyones thoughts were on trimming and removing smaller lower branches and leaves during flowering cycle? Also what to do with very small outside lower branches with popcorn buds on them that aren't going to amount to much.

for Mr. Wells :)

i have been asked how i get my "trees" so uppity and top-heavy........... and how i keep the riff-raff lower buds/shrubbery away.

here we go:

this plant is a hybrid. about 70/30-65/35 indica dominant. she grows tall, but grows HUGE/dense buds as well. when i flipped the lights to 12/12 on her, she was about 19-20" tall. that was on 9-17. like 10 days ago. she is standing about 32" now. the stretch has been on, but there is still a bit more before we are done.

this is a PERFECT time to do a "final pruning" on your trees.

here she is:

med_gallery_13801_60_1361238.jpg?t=1723862

med_gallery_13801_60_1894026.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_160546.jpg

ok, looking a little shabby along the bottom. i have not taken any clones from this plant. this plant is in a system with a bunch of others..... therefore, it can kind of get forgotten about from time to time as far as cleaning goes. anything that has come off the bottom up to this point was totally dead, brown, and actually fell off on its own.

this will be the first time that i am really getting in with some clean scissors and doing some damage.

i took the bottom 4-5 branches off. at this point in life, its pretty easy to tell what branches have grown/strectched up far enough to produce anything. all others must go. i also stripped the remaining branches of any old fan leaves or new shoots. there is just no sense in your plant wasting time/energy making growth way down here. this "scrub" is not taking in light..... therefore its not helping.

here's some after pics:

med_gallery_13801_60_1588290.jpg?t=75082056

med_gallery_13801_60_993775.jpg

and here is what was actually taken off the plant. its quite a bit..................

med_gallery_13801_60_1678031.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_72000.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_909698.jpg

from this point, until harvest day, the only leaves that i will be plucking will be more than 50% dead and already dying.

before and after:

med_gallery_13801_60_1361238.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_1588290.jpg

and with the lower buds/trim leaf i make qwiso: http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/tutorials/t-44-do-it-yourself-qwiso-hash/

and i just made cannabutter for the first time a couple days ago: http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/24701-making-butter-for-the-first-time/

Ok just a quick question on flushing. Your methods or opinions.

This is not final flushing, but transitional. Veg to Flower.

Ph'ed water

Ph'ed water + FloraKleen

Ph'ed water + H202

Which one and for how long? 24 hours? This is in DWC setup. Roots are very healthy looking right now.

Oh and also with the add back method (lucas form).. Obviously i watch the ppm at least once a day but if the ppms go down just slightly like 10 or less is it important to add back to increase that drop? Basically what I have been doing is waiting till it drops a little more then add slightly stronger solution to not overwhelm them. Any suggestions on that?

Addback Calculator - (For Advanced Users)

Say you were running the 0-8-16 formula, at 0.7 conversion with a 22 gallon res. When you first fill it up, your ppm will be around 1330.

Now you have been growing for a week, and some of the water has been taken up by the plants, some has evaporated, and now your res is at 947 ppm. You need to get your ppm from 947 to 1330. Here is the equation:

((target - current) / target) * 8 ml per gallon * res gallons = Flora Micro (ml) double this figure to get Flora Bloom (ml)

Example:

((1330 - 947) / 1330) * 8 * 22

(383 / 1330) * 8 * 22

0.3 * 8 * 22 = 53 ml Flora Micro

53 ml Flora Micro, double that and you get 106 ml Flora Bloom. So 53 ml Flora Micro and 106 ml Flora Bloom to add back to your 22 gallon res to get you from 947 to 1330.

thanks bud. Yeah ive been using that equation. it comes in handy. but when the current and target are only several ppms off or so, the ml i would need to add back is so small I was just wondering if it was a big deal to wait until its a little bigger.

nope, not a big deal at all. if you sway 100ppm over the course of a 2-3 day period thats normal and fine

I see a lot of posts that say humidity during the flower cycle should be around 40-50%, does going lower, say 30-40% benefit the plants? Does it matter if humidity fluctuates between either of these numbers slighty over the course of a day or two? What's to high? What's to low?

i try to never let it go above 60%.

30-60% is ok.

40-50% is usually best.

I just got an ozone generator http://www.htgsupply.com/viewimage.asp?ID=832 and plugged it in 15 ft away from the area that has the air intake to my flower room. I am wondering if this will be bad for the plants. I have a 4" vent running 24/7 outside the house from the room with just a passive intake. I only ran the oz gen for about 5 hours and it cycles 10 minutes on and 10 off so really only 2 1/2 hours continuous. Our basement is dry but can be humid at times. We dont alwys run the dehumidifier but I got a bit of a musty smell. We use the door in the basement to go outside everyday so it gets fresh air but only when the door is open. I noticed after my first harvest my product had a hint of the smell of the basement when using it in a vaporizer. Will the ozone take too much of the pleasant aromas away from the buds if they are cured in the basement. Its just a small unit designed for a single room, (1000 cubic feet) and my basement is 1300 sq ft. but I can smell the ozone 30 ft away. In just that short of time The whole area smells much better so I unplugge it for the night because I have a small white widow that I'm drying and dont want to rob it of its goodness before I get to sample it! I did power dry a little bit in the dehydrator and it is pretty good for my muscle spasms. Can't wait til its cured. I have 3 racks full which will be about 2 ozs. dry. I only use the racks from the dehydrator for the majority of the buds to dry on instead of hanging them. Is that a bad idea? Sorry about running off at he finger tips on the board, but you know how it is!

no, an ozone generator (to the best of my knowledge) is not going to alter the taste of your meds.

can't make it worse anyways :)

and yeah, hanging to dry is definitely your best bet.

the slower they dry, they better.

even if i have head-sized buds that aret too big and dense to dry 100% while hanging, i still hang them for 3 or 4 days, before cutting them up into smaller buds and then i line plates with coffee filters and let them finish drying like that.

sure, ill admit that i have used food dehydrators, microwave, toaster oven, ect to quick-dry a couple small nugs from time-to-time, but hanging is by far the best way to go.

if you force the moisture out of your meds too fast, they will taste like hay or straw.

I would go for a carbon filter 69ss...

Ozone works great, but it's also kinda weird...

o3 molecules have an extra oxygen atom tacked on.. makes them heavy and sticky.. They stick to other molecules/particles in the air and the weight drops them to the floor..

It doesn't actually remove anything..

Same deal with negative ion generators..

I HAVE read that they both can strip plants of smells if in the same room.. I can't remember were I read that, but I did read it..

Found an interesting article on Ozone out of curiosity... http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

So it looks like something got inside my aero cloner....all my clones are starting to look limp and its been 9 days and no roots....the ends look like they should at this point, but they are not sprouting.....I have the light (two 20 watt T8 with cool white bulbs) about 6" form the tops... Is my light to close? water to warm? I swapped out the water after a week, and they were already starting to look limp....I cant lose these!!!!

someone please give me some advice!!!

probably the warm water. whats the temps?

they will still root normally, even if your water is in the 80's.

BUT, if you must have 80°+ water, i would back the cfl's off to about 16" inches away and prepare to wait twice as long for roots.

backing the light way off like this helps keep the leaves alive a little longer.

depending on how big your cloner is (how much water it holds) keeping water temps in the optimal range of 70-75° can be pretty tough.

you may have to just remove the cloner from your veg room all together. move some shoes over to one side in the bottom of a closet somewhere and throw a couple cfl's in there :)

i have a shelf in a non-grow room where i store nutes and supplies and stuff. it stays room temp in there all day every day. i just cleared a spot off in there and set my cloner on it.

I was thinking of scaling down from 2 1k bulbs to 1 1k bulb and just using the new sun system "the ocho" :hot: hood....it says it gets more coverage, but I dont know if if worth it to just spread 1k worth of light over a larger area or just stay with the 2k I have now....

any input from anyone would be great..?

I just bought 2 new ocho's and they were one of my best investments this far... It SPREADS the light wonderfully! I know you can get away with getting the others but I needed air cooled for my room temp!

tn_gallery_15392_238_1370674.jpg

tn_gallery_15392_238_1764426.jpg

tn_gallery_15392_238_2781939.jpg

I was deleting old email and came across this combo set of magnifyers I bought, and thought, the guys that are visiting this board alot would have use for these!

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMBO-60-100X-30X-ILLUMINATED-LED-MICROSCOPE-MAGNIFIER-/220685745882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3361e53eda

A great value I might add for only $14 you get two! Mine workfine even though they are made in China! I didn't know where to post this so I figured this would be a fairly pertinent area! Shalom!

Guest Mr_smith

What would you guys suggest to keep my plants warm this Winter? I have them inside a grow tent out in my garage. Would a space heater be good enough, or is that too much of a fire risk?

No, just get a brand new one with a thermostat. Space heaters are not as much of a risk as they used to be. Just remember, electricity over water.. ie. if you are using dwc or anything with a res, you would want to make sure that if a leak were to happen, water would never come in contact with any electrical. Also, keep in mind that heat rises, so you dont wanna go putting it up to high as the plants wont get the heat they need.

Another alternative would be a propane patio heater outside the tent to raise the temp in the entire garage.

Just use common sense and dont put the heater next to a gas can etc.. LOL

Guest Mr_smith

I just bought 2 new ocho's and they were one of my best investments this far... It SPREADS the light wonderfully! I know you can get away with getting the others but I needed air cooled for my room temp!

tn_gallery_15392_238_1370674.jpg

tn_gallery_15392_238_1764426.jpg

tn_gallery_15392_238_2781939.jpg

That seems like a pretty decent hood. I bought a couple daystar air cooled hoods for $100 that have a nice distribution area as well.

Guest Mr_smith

I would go for a carbon filter 69ss...

Ozone works great, but it's also kinda weird...

o3 molecules have an extra oxygen atom tacked on.. makes them heavy and sticky.. They stick to other molecules/particles in the air and the weight drops them to the floor..

It doesn't actually remove anything..

Same deal with negative ion generators..

I HAVE read that they both can strip plants of smells if in the same room.. I can't remember were I read that, but I did read it..

Found an interesting article on Ozone out of curiosity... http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

I have always heard that if you decide to use an ozone generator, it should be used in tandem with a carbon scrubber.

Also, put the ozone generator outside of a sealed grow room.

hey Bubble

i am in a situation

i have 60" from concrete floor to bottom of floor joists

i have 3 gallon bubble buckets and 30 gallon reservoir for the grow with a recirculating system.

buckets are lower height than five gallon-but still i have only 48 inches from bucket tops to ceiling-add grow lights that are 8" deep and now its 40" to grow in-if i use a 1000w light i have to subtract 12"-18" inches from that height and that puts me at max plant height of about only 24" inches <_<

do i use a 1k light?

do i use T5's?

do i use multiple-600W X 2.....400W X 3.....or.....250W X 4 .....instead???????????

also what are the approximate distances away from plant tops for each?

grow area is 6'w X 8'L X 5'11"ht

any system will be airduct/inline fan cooled with glass enclosed reflectors-much help needed also is it a best bet to just use Growco (W. MI.) or HTG(online)

thanks-Tater

happy Sunday/Trimday to you BG