Bubblegrower's Perpetual "Budget Grow" Journal

Grow Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BG I have a question for you, I want to get more light to the bottom of my plants, I have thought of building a 18" stand that I can mount a cooltube to upsidedown, and run it inline to keep my temps normal, put that in the middle of my 10x10 and let that fatten up my lower branches.

good idea?

sounds like it to me but I wouldn't be suprised if I'm overlooking something

BG I have a question for you, I want to get more light to the bottom of my plants, I have thought of building a 18" stand that I can mount a cooltube to upsidedown, and run it inline to keep my temps normal, put that in the middle of my 10x10 and let that fatten up my lower branches.

good idea?

sounds like it to me but I wouldn't be suprised if I'm overlooking something

in theory your plan is perfect..... but i can't really picture it in my mind.

a 1000w over top of the plants..... no problem..... but one underneath is going to get drowned out before it reaches the 2nd or 3rd plant it seems?

with all the buckets/pots whatever you use..... i just dont see getting the coverage you should be getting with a 1k from underneath. if anything i would line the walls with T5's and call it a day :thumbsu:

but if you do it, send me pics so i can see it.

I think I'm gonna try it, I have a 10x10 flower room with only 10 plants in there so its not a 100% canopy yet, I want to build it so the light is basically as high up as it can be without having any branches underneath it (so around the top of the totes) have it as close to middle as I can get it and if I'm not getting enough I have some of these :http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=116 that I can drop down inbetween.

Let me save up some money to get another cooltube and I'll try it out and report back worse case scenario I drop the cooltube vertically in the middle

i get mine from the growco. they are a couple bucks more than at a hardware store..... but they are thick, sturdy, and chemical free.

this link is for 3gal and 5gal buckets.... you have to choose which you want to see the price: http://www.4hydropon...?ItemNo=buckets

the last time i went to order new buckets they were out of stock so i hit up menards and picked up a couple dozen for 2.99 each and then bought 2 rolls of aluminim tape for 5.99 each and taped them up..... works great as well.

gallery_13801_182_13309.jpg

gallery_13801_182_36719.jpg

get the aluminum tape and the vasoline out!!

gonna squeeze 15 buckets in there :thumbsu:

gallery_13801_60_104349.jpg

so technically..... they dont HAVE to be black.... if you tape them up..... but black is best.

meijer always has white ones.... no black. menards has the green, home depot has orange......... unfortunately i have found black buckets for 2.99 at wal-mart but we dont shop there anymore :)

forgot about the gray lowes buckets :) dont have one of them close to me.

just double checked though...... they were 2.29 at menards.... not 2.99.... and lids are 1.19.

just throwing that out there :)

----------------------------------------------

i would never advise anyone to push the limits because algae is a major problem........ but if you think things through, there are ways to get around stuff.

in early veg, when i veg in buckets, my newly rooted clones only stay in their homes for about 2 weeks. they are packed in there pretty good and the lids are taped with aluminum tape. there really isnt much light penetration to the buckets themselves, only the lids, because it gets so crowded...... add the fact that they are only there for 2 weeks before they get moved/dumped/flushed........ i could probably use clear buckets and never grow algae...........

another reason why i like using the totes for early veg and then moving them to buckets for flower....... 2 plants in one spot, more usage of light, less water and nutrients, less air stones being used.... ... and no worries about algae at all..... blue, pink, gray, doesnt matter..... sterilite totes wont let the light through....

flowering is a bit different though...... although your lights will be much further away from your buckets (obviously your plants will be taller now) so there really isnt as much penetration down there........... but your buckets will be more spread apart to allow for plant growth........ so there is more chance of algae.

just better safe than sorry :)

So if someone only cares for one human with only a 12 plant limit I was thinking of your 13 buckets and res all connected.

Maybe I should do half tote/veg and half bucket/flower? Keep the whole thing separate instead of all hooked together?

are you going perpetual bish?? or just blowing out 12 all at once??

thats really the big deciding factor IMO.

also........ i enjoy answering questions in the open because it may help someone else later down the line..... but if you (or anyone) feels more comfortable in private message i have no qualms with that. safety first.

well, if you go perpetual, using 2 rooms (veg and flower) then you will probably have 2 clones and 2 vegging plants in one area..... i would use the totes for them..... and then you would have the other 8 in the flower area.... and in there i would probably have 8 buckets and a control bucket.

here's a video.... just imagine 8 buckets instead of whatever i had in there at the time:

well, if you go perpetual, using 2 rooms (veg and flower) then you will probably have 2 clones and 2 vegging plants in one area..... i would use the totes for them..... and then you would have the other 8 in the flower area.... and in there i would probably have 8 buckets and a control bucket.

here's a video.... just imagine 8 buckets instead of whatever i had in there at the time:

i really must consider trying this system......i love the pictures of your results Bg.......

that video inspires me.

oh

fyi

as a result of my best friends recent tragedy...i won't be down your way this weekend bg...so next time buddy....for sure....

i'll hit ya up..

no worries.

:rolleyes:

Archived