Mmj: Survey Re Doseage For Pain Control

I work as a Licensed Psychologist with clients having severe pain challenges. Some of them use MMJ to control their pain along with other narcotic meds, legally prescribed.

In my interviews with them I find that they do NOT smoke to get "High". Most will take a puff or two when the pain gets too high, and then resume some chosen activity-watching TV, doing housework, etc.

If you are taking MMJ for pain control. I would appreciate your comments as to whether this is your pain control strategy as well.

Dr. Jinx

I take a norco every 6 hours. I also vape and smoke to help me deal with excess pain. If the pain gets to bad I will then eat a brownie or something else with Cannabis in it. Also I have used PB's Topical Oil and that worked wonders for my pain, and very fast too. I have the kit, but have to wait to infuse it, but after that it will probably be getting off norco, using the Oil as my primary med, then smoke/vape, then if the pain is still there, eat. I have 2 herniated disks and osteoarthritis in my lower back L4-L5 and L5-S1. Hope this helps ya Jinx :P

I take a norco every 6 hours. I also vape and smoke to help me deal with excess pain. If the pain gets to bad I will then eat a brownie or something else with Cannabis in it. Also I have used PB's Topical Oil and that worked wonders for my pain, and very fast too. I have the kit, but have to wait to infuse it, but after that it will probably be getting off norco, using the Oil as my primary med, then smoke/vape, then if the pain is still there, eat. I have 2 herniated disks and osteoarthritis in my lower back L4-L5 and L5-S1. Hope this helps ya Jinx :P

Many thanks for your info, Zombiefryd.

Can you tell me whether you medicate to get a "high" or do you use your MMJ to take the edge off the excess pain ?

I also would like to know whether you were taking pain meds alone before you took MMJ ? If so, which ones and how many? It looks like people who use MMJ for excess pain are able to reduce those meds-like your use of Norco- by about 90%.Does this kind of fit your situation ?

Best of luck in your plan to get off the Norco 100%. Please let me know how that progresses .

jinx

I have always used Cannabis for a "high" as I have never liked alcohol. I also use it to calm myself down when I am having a panic attack. I do use it to take the edge off excessive pain too. I used to be on Kadian (morphine sulfate) 50mg x 2 a day and 4 norco 325/10 a day. They have given me all different kinds of muscle relaxers and other pills that did not help. Since I have gotten legal and got a very good CG I have been able to get off Kadian, a week of hell... I am still using the norco and actually dont want them to be completely gone. They work great for my headaches and for times I cant use Cannabis. So I guess I would want to hit about 90%. But I might be able to find a new way to use cannabis for out in the public.... :)

So true. It also amazes me how brainwashed many physicians are not to recognize the truth of this.

It has nothing to do with brainwashing they know exactly what happens if their patients choose cannabis over pharmaceuticals they lose all the drug company kickbacks and perks until a major corporation starts producing cannabis on a large scale basis they have no real reason to tell the truth it benefits them in no way.

Back to the original posters question i smoke to settle down my nerves once my nerves act up my whole body catches fire its called peripherial neurapathy where your appendages burn from nerve damage i like to call it campfire disease because it feels like i fell into one. :thumbsd:

• 3 weeks later...

I quit using anything but MM for my pain and other symptoms.

It often takes more than a few hits, that for me maybe just a bridge to "keep the wolves at bay" and since I medicate all day long, I do not get much of that euphoria most do, at least not like most person(s) experience.

Meds are top shelf, but like any medication there is tolerance built up. Federal MM patients are prescribed 10 pre-rolled MM joints per day and I do not break that number very often unless I am in personal agony.

I quit using anything but MM for my pain and other symptoms.

It often takes more than a few hits, that for me maybe just a bridge to "keep the wolves at bay" and since I medicate all day long, I do not get much of that euphoria most do, at least not like most person(s) experience.

Meds are top shelf, but like any medication there is tolerance built up. Federal MM patients are prescribed 10 pre-rolled MM joints per day and I do not break that number very often unless I am in personal agony.

How do you become a federal MM patient and get perscribed pre rolled? This peaks my interest.

Using cannabis with narcotics for pain, along with, say, Neurontin, NSAIDs and muscle relaxants, makes for more complete relief. It can and does do a nice job adding directly to some measures of pain relief. For instance, it helps with neuropathic pain especially well.

The psychic effect cannot be discounted. We know that the pain will be back soon. There are times when nothing, to include cannabis, and along with the others, is able to control the pain fully. The tension that derives from pain can cause more pain. Cannabis helps relieve it better than diazepam does in my experience. After having been in pain chronically, it can remain for a while after the pain is gone. For some it is always there.

Yes. We can be more active using it.

I would have to say that when I was medicating using meds that I found without the help of a caregiver, I was not getting "high" because most of those meds are not very potent compared to what my cg has and I had built up a tolerance to the small amount I was using. Now that I implement a cg to obtain meds, the buzz is back because the thc content in the meds is higher. I don't smoke purely to get "high", though I do consider that a pleasant side effect. Like any side effect of any medication, I'm sure it will go away as my body adjusts to the new potency. Does that make sense?

I would have to say that when I was medicating using meds that I found without the help of a caregiver, I was not getting "high" because most of those meds are not very potent compared to what my cg has and I had built up a tolerance to the small amount I was using. Now that I implement a cg to obtain meds, the buzz is back because the thc content in the meds is higher. I don't smoke purely to get "high", though I do consider that a pleasant side effect. Like any side effect of any medication, I'm sure it will go away as my body adjusts to the new potency. Does that make sense?

Makes full sense to me as i was in the same boat :D

I smoke/vaporize for a number of reasons..... 1 it lightens the pain 2 it takes away the nausea 3 it calms my nerves. I do enjoy the buzz and always have. Like said in a recent post the buzz side effect is a pleasant side effect unlike my pills that cause more nausea and couchlock by using mm I have eliminated the muscle relaxers 100% and the pain pills I only take when I can't medicate

I work as a Licensed Psychologist with clients having severe pain challenges. Some of them use MMJ to control their pain along with other narcotic meds, legally prescribed.

In my interviews with them I find that they do NOT smoke to get "High". Most will take a puff or two when the pain gets too high, and then resume some chosen activity-watching TV, doing housework, etc.

If you are taking MMJ for pain control. I would appreciate your comments as to whether this is your pain control strategy as well.

Dr. Jinx

I take methadone 10 mg every 6 hours, and narco 10/375 every 4 to 6 hours for breakthrough pain. I am a type 1 diebetic and am now 52 years old. I have so much nerve damage that it is hard to do anything. My stomach does not work so my Dr said I had lost to much weight so he wants me to use the mmj to try to keep some weight on. He also knows that I see a pain management Dr and said it may help your pain also. Well when my pain Dr found out he refuses to treat me anymore. He said it was againts federal laws and that he would not write me my scripts anymore. He said you are going to go into dts so I had better get some help. I have looked for a Dr this last week and can not find one that will treat me because of it. I need help to find a Dr who will treat my pain and maybe I will be able to get off some of the meds with the help of the pot. I do not do either to get high as I do not like that feeling. I say if I dont have the sense to save myself in a fire I dont want it. I just want some quility of life for the time I have left.

Thanks, Carrie

I take methadone 10 mg every 6 hours, and narco 10/375 every 4 to 6 hours for breakthrough pain. I am a type 1 diebetic and am now 52 years old. I have so much nerve damage that it is hard to do anything. My stomach does not work so my Dr said I had lost to much weight so he wants me to use the mmj to try to keep some weight on. He also knows that I see a pain management Dr and said it may help your pain also. Well when my pain Dr found out he refuses to treat me anymore. He said it was againts federal laws and that he would not write me my scripts anymore. He said you are going to go into dts so I had better get some help. I have looked for a Dr this last week and can not find one that will treat me because of it. I need help to find a Dr who will treat my pain and maybe I will be able to get off some of the meds with the help of the pot. I do not do either to get high as I do not like that feeling. I say if I dont have the sense to save myself in a fire I dont want it. I just want some quility of life for the time I have left.

Thanks, Carrie

He is knowingly forcing you into DT's .. report him.

I was taking 60-mg SR of morphine two times daily, and 30-mg IR up to three times a day. Now I'm at 30-mg SR two times a day, and 15-mg IR two times a day. And it's better now that I use MMJ, not laying in bed all the time now, and sleeping all the time. And my family likes me more now, that I'm not so cranky. :thumbsu:

Who else is out there re this critical question...the data so far show that opiates are reduced by about 80% with MMJ for pain control.

Dr. Jinx

I know a few who went totally off opiates by changing their meds to cannabis. They found they did not need opiates at all. Not everyone will experience the 80% reduction, which would depend on duration, severity, cause and type of pain, but if only 20% reduction is reached, it could still very well save a human life.

Personally, I have the constant nerve pain from a 30 yr old incomplete cord injury as well as all symptoms of relapse-remit MS. The cannabis allowed me to cut down on pharms about 40% and I take no meds at all for the MS. :thumbsu:

Peace.

Who else is out there re this critical question...the data so far show that opiates are reduced by about 80% with MMJ for pain control.

Dr. Jinx

I am 100% off all opiates which was replaced by MM. Used 40 mg Oyxcontin 3 times a day and Oxycodone 15mg as needed for break through pain. Don't smoke or vape to get high, just take the edge off the pain. Failed cervical spine surgery, herniated disk in thoracic spine, osteo arthritis and severe nerve pain. ADD like symptoms from closed head injury controlled by MM also.

Dizz

Archived