To Rinse Or Not To Rinse

Indicat

ive only ever used organic nutes, and i never flush my plants. i can honestly say that i can never "taste" the nutrients in my medicine.

so, is this as important as everybody thinks it is? perhaps any tasting of the nutrients could be attributed to using chemical fertilizers?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely critical. Remember that just because nutrients are organic and from naturally occurring sources, doesn't mean you want to inhale them. They might be less dangerous than some of the chemical nutrients, but less dangerous does not equal safe.

You may actually just be used to tasting these nutrients, but you might not realize it because most street grade and much medical grade, is not properly flushed. While you might think you're tasting your plant, you could actually be tasting your plant covered in something else.

That being said, proper flushing goes beyond just the taste. It also provides a MUCH smoother and more pleasurable smoke, and allows the plant to fully metabolize it's reserve store of energy, meaning you get the most from your ladies.

The only way to prove to yourself is a side by side. Grow one plant as you have been without flushing, and another at the same time and flush for at least a week. Then you'll know whether you can tell the difference. Some people can't tell the difference between a properly made cigar and cheaply made cigar, or a cheap bottle of wine from a good bottle of wine. I suppose the same could be said of flushed versus unflushed marijuana.

Still, I would ALWAYS recommend flushing.

ive only ever used organic nutes, and i never flush my plants. i can honestly say that i can never "taste" the nutrients in my medicine.

so, is this as important as everybody thinks it is? perhaps any tasting of the nutrients could be attributed to using chemical fertilizers?

I use to get my medicine from a hydro guy who never flushed it always had a great medicated feeling but it also always had a salty taste while it was burning so with two weeks left regardless of what type of nutrients being used i recommend flushing with pure water.

you use organic nutes and never flush your plants. you can honestly say that you can never taste the nutes in your meds??? have you ever flushed?

organic, chemical, or otherwise, you need to be flushing. cannabis stems/roots/leaves are much like human veins. they carry water, our veins carry blood. the veins in a cannabis plant are just as long and complex as in humans. it is best to flush the plant to the point to where not only have the veins been filled with pure water instead of water/food.......... but to the point that the plant actually begins to feed off of itself. thus using up its last bits of stored sugars. this flushes out all possibility of any extra tastes and leaves you with the 100% pure taste of your cannabis.

no matter what anyone says, it makes a difference. if you have 2 plants side-by-side.... flush one and not the other.... and tell me they taste the same.... you have a busted pallet. :)

I guess im the loner who says why flush? In some instances I can see if you have an excess salt build up in your medium that the flush could be somewhat beneficial.

salt build up has nothing to do with it...... its all about what your buds actually have stored inside their little veins while they are hanging to dry. see above.

THC-Farmer..... who i respect very very much......... will come in here and tell you a flush is not what it seems. i differ.

chemdawg feels one way, breeder steve feels another (example)

BUT.......... i dont think its right for folks to make a decision about it until they have finished two plants on their own.... same strain.... side by side.... one flushed.... one not.....

its really that simple :) just do it. then decide for yourself.

Different theroies

One says flush because of using nutrients they build up

Another says if you user all organic amendents to the soil but NOT store bought liquid nutes (organic or otherwise)....you dont flush because plant have used it up and you are thinking about drying the plant out not adding lots of water....so adding water like that to flush... one theroy says its better to let the plant dry out at the end makes it easier to dry/cure after the cut

So liquid nutes ORGANIC or other store bought liquids need to be flushed...I AGREE

I also agree that an all organic grow with guano teas and mixed in amendents...dont need flushing

Burn one over at icmag is always going off on this topic...

BURN ONE ORGANICS THREAD PAGE 1

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53792

question????why not flush?? i'm in hempy buckets,but i flush at 6wks and then water only feed for 2 waterings,about a week,before moving them to 24 hr dark for 3-7 days(again why not?)if it is supposed to help,and can't hurt,i'll do it..lol..i have had Nurt."lock out" because i didn't flush..but i'm not growing organic...i still think flushing is a wise idea...good luck..zzb

flushing is part of cannabis cultivation............ period :)

it just SHOULD BE DONE. its healthier. organic nutrients or not.................

would you drink your organic nutes straight from the bottle? awe??? why not? :) its organic :) gotta be healthy right????

For the most part I agree with you, but I fear we part ways on this one. First, understand I am not suggesting that anyone not flush. I was only saying that common knowledge holds it to be a little less mandatory than when using chem ferts.That is one of the benefits I hear people giving for growing organic.Who knows, I never flushed the old apple tree and the apples never tasted like my pee of the dogs. To answer your question, no I wouldn't drink my ferts, but i wouldn't eat a lot of the bunny muffin fish eat, no interest in the diet of a deer. When the plant takes up guano it doesn't magikally become full of petrified bat turds.Seems that line of thought is a wee bit off.

For the most part I agree with you, but I fear we part ways on this one. First, understand I am not suggesting that anyone not flush. I was only saying that common knowledge holds it to be a little less mandatory than when using chem ferts.That is one of the benefits I hear people giving for growing organic.Who knows, I never flushed the old apple tree and the apples never tasted like my pee of the dogs. To answer your question, no I wouldn't drink my ferts, but i wouldn't eat a lot of the bunny muffin fish eat, no interest in the diet of a deer. When the plant takes up guano it doesn't magikally become full of petrified bat turds.Seems that line of thought is a wee bit off.

lol lol lol lol :)

well you know i wasnt speaking right at ya..................

but im not smoking it if its not flushed :)

i wouldnt drink it.... and i aint smokin it either :)

• 1 month later...

lol lol lol lol :)

well you know i wasnt speaking right at ya..................

but im not smoking it if its not flushed :)

i wouldnt drink it.... and i aint smokin it either :)

Straight up there! Hey you guys that won't flush.....Why in the world would you spend endless hours researching,pampering,talking to and taking care of your ladies and not take the EASY time and rinse them out? I've seen it first hand and you hafta flush or your screwing yourself!!!

one theroy says its better to let the plant dry out at the end makes it easier to dry/cure after the cut

I tend to disagree with this theory because a slow dry is just as important as flushing imo. A slow dry allows the buds to break down and release chlorophyll and other compounds that make marijuana taste harsh.

It's another key element in the process of producing top shelf marijuana like curing, flushing and not over feeding.

Getting hasty with any part of the process will cause quality to suffer.

I almost always water my plants before harvesting, allows for a slower dry time and keeps the plant more turgid or stiff, I hate trimming limp buds.

How come farmers don't flush their tomatoes. Can you taste the nutes in tomatoes or other vegetables?

I don't flush, I may run my nutes low but not a true flush.

You will never see a farmer out feeding his vegetable crops 2 weeks before harvest.

Truth be known, they do flush their vegetable crops in a sense. It's more of a natural thing though, they feed enough to get the plants through the season healthy and mom nature provides the rain (pure water) that flushes the plants.. You can trust in the fact that farmers don't waste nutes because they use 'em on a huge level.

Guest Happy Guy

That chunk of black charcoal in the bottom of the pipe is not resin, it's the nutes that will not burn . And I'll tell you, it's a lot smoother on the lungs, when you do a flush. I like a two week flush. the plants have a nice yellow, just like fall season with the trees ..:thumbsu:

That black charcoal could also be plant sugars. Burnt sugar has a black charcoal appearance. I discovered the plant sugars in my pure cannabis oil. I could dip a toothpick in my hot oil and the sugars form a soft ball on it. Some strains have a lot of sugars and you will get them in your oil and your ashes. Black ash isn't always chemicals. Thinking it is could really waste a lot of excellent cannabis. A good 10-14 day flush is a must with hydro. But you may still have some black ash afterwards.

Archived