Best City/county To Move To?

Dan345

Hey everyone, I'm moving from out of state and would really appreciate some advice. I just read an article on this site about Huron cracking down . . . which got me wondering. What are the best (I guess you would say the most lenient/understanding/compassionate) cities/counties in MI?

Of course, I have my preferences as to where to move, but, let's face it, I'm moving to your great state for one reason. So it would defeat the purpose of moving at all if particular cities, etc. are not tolerant, and I end up having legal problems.

I should say- I plan to to everything "by the book" and in absolute accordance with the law- I am a responsible, educated citizen, and look forward to following all laws- becoming a med. cardholder, engaging in legal, proper procedures and paperwork to become a caregiver, etc. But is this just not good enough in certain places?

So, I'm starting fresh. And if I have to move to XYZ city in MI to live in freedom, so be it- I'm not averse to small towns. I am a single male in my early 30's with no obligations. I could really use your advice from your own personal experience, so I don't wind up someplace that doesn't accept this medical treatment/lifestyle- and is prejudicial to cardholders.

Thank you all so much in advance!

Best,

Dan

hey, thanks for the quick replies . . . yeah ann arbor would certainly be my first choice, but it just seems very pricey. for around $400 i'd have to share an apt with a few other people, or find a duplex (both of which . . . not really ideal).

there seems to be a lot of cities on mi craigslist where i'd have my own small, 1 bedroom house (some even w/ an acre or 2) for around that much. nice, quiet, private, just do my own thing, you know?

It is fascinating that the top counties being suggested are either IN or SURROUNDING the areas of Flint and Detroit. Frankly, I'm concerned about my personal safety.

It seems that the "safest" cities/counties to be involved in med. mj are also the most dangerous in terms of violence, etc.

I suffer from chronic pain and anxiety, and would not want to live in constant fear of someone kicking my door in while I watch my residence ransacked as I beg for my life. I'm sure there are great areas of these counties, safe enough to raise a family, safe enough to take a midnight stroll. But I'm on a very limited budget, and can only afford around 350-450/month.

I'm sure a bunch of you folks have a similar story- graduate school, no work available, but some health problems- and just looking for a nice, quiet, safe neighborhood where I can continue my job search without having to choose to either "break the law" in a non-med state, or medicate myself on the only options the doctors give me- opioid narcotics, and other such absolute garbage.

Wow, now I'm really at a loss. A serious catch-22. I guess the best option would be meeting someone in a safe Detroit neighborhood who has a room or two to rent out, knowing, (and approving) what the space would be used for.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm in my early 30's with no obligations. Extremely laid back, friendly and flexible, I'd be more than happy to do month to month, or incredibly grateful for any consideration at all.

I apologize if this is out of line in any way, or is a post that I have mis-categorized, or even if the appropriateness of the subject is questionable.

Anyway, thank you all so much. Our city's NORML isn't anywhere near this friendly, motivated, organized and determined, and frankly I'm pretty blown away by the kindness, and everyone's desire to help . . . a total stranger.

I'm guessing it would tough to post this kind of (very particular) "room or two" wanted situation on Detroit Craigslist, so if anybody knows someone who has some extra space, and could use the extra rent money, and hey, make a new friend while you're at it, please please let me know.

Again, I am truly sorry if any line has been crossed in this post, but it is so important to me I do things the right way- the responsible way- and be safe. To me, primary to this living situation is safety- safety in (and from) my neighborhood, safety in the judicial system, and safety in the way I work with the medication issue.

Thank you all so much again, this help has been invaluable. And please, do not hesitate to contact me directly if this sounds like a fit for anyone you may know.

All the Best and thank you again,

Dan

It is fascinating that the top counties being suggested are either IN or SURROUNDING the areas of Flint and Detroit. Frankly, I'm concerned about my personal safety.

It seems that the "safest" cities/counties to be involved in med. mj are also the most dangerous in terms of violence, etc.

I suffer from chronic pain and anxiety, and would not want to live in constant fear of someone kicking my door in while I watch my residence ransacked as I beg for my life. I'm sure there are great areas of these counties, safe enough to raise a family, safe enough to take a midnight stroll. But I'm on a very limited budget, and can only afford around 350-450/month.

I'm sure a bunch of you folks have a similar story- graduate school, no work available, but some health problems- and just looking for a nice, quiet, safe neighborhood where I can continue my job search without having to choose to either "break the law" in a non-med state, or medicate myself on the only options the doctors give me- opioid narcotics, and other such absolute garbage.

Wow, now I'm really at a loss. A serious catch-22. I guess the best option would be meeting someone in a safe Detroit neighborhood who has a room or two to rent out, knowing, (and approving) what the space would be used for.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm in my early 30's with no obligations. Extremely laid back, friendly and flexible, I'd be more than happy to do month to month, or incredibly grateful for any consideration at all.

I apologize if this is out of line in any way, or is a post that I have mis-categorized, or even if the appropriateness of the subject is questionable.

Anyway, thank you all so much. Our city's NORML isn't anywhere near this friendly, motivated, organized and determined, and frankly I'm pretty blown away by the kindness, and everyone's desire to help . . . a total stranger.

I'm guessing it would tough to post this kind of (very particular) "room or two" wanted situation on Detroit Craigslist, so if anybody knows someone who has some extra space, and could use the extra rent money, and hey, make a new friend while you're at it, please please let me know.

Again, I am truly sorry if any line has been crossed in this post, but it is so important to me I do things the right way- the responsible way- and be safe. To me, primary to this living situation is safety- safety in (and from) my neighborhood, safety in the judicial system, and safety in the way I work with the medication issue.

Thank you all so much again, this help has been invaluable. And please, do not hesitate to contact me directly if this sounds like a fit for anyone you may know.

All the Best and thank you again,

Dan

420Peace Dan,

$500/ mo, mo 2 mo lease all utilities included. (i.e. free grow light elec.)

2 blocks from Comerica Park and Ford Field...

Safe!

Dan 345, I saw wow! and nearly used profanity I am so blown away! Considering the 3 month search it took me to find a safe friendly spot to grow in Detroit, with an understanding AND a non-exloitative landlord, I'm amazed at Marijuana Ranch's offer of space and elec. I don't know him from other than his posts on this site, have never meet him in person, but such an offer blows me away. I suspect--don't know--that on the strength of this offer and the blurb about Wayne W. Compassion Club that appears below all his posts that you'd quickly have a market for your beans, or the 5 patients you need and have found a one-stop shop to be in business--again, I stress I'm just guessing, don't know anything. Also, you may with him have hit the graduate school of marijuana growing. It's not what you know but do you know who can hook you up with what you need?

I'll second the 'up north' recommendation of smokeythebear, though I do live a bit south of the bridge. Based on recent court cases and prosecutor's and sheriff's reputations I would avoid Roscommon or Kalkaska counties. Traverse City has relaxed laws and policies, but not sure how well that carries outside of the city limits.

I'm looking for properties also, and houses on a nice private 5-10 acres for under $40k are plentiful up here. I'm looking around for the perfect location -- i.e. a road that's plowed more than once a week in the winter, but still has enough privacy.

hey, thanks for the quick replies . . . yeah ann arbor would certainly be my first choice, but it just seems very pricey. for around $400 i'd have to share an apt with a few other people, or find a duplex (both of which . . . not really ideal).

there seems to be a lot of cities on mi craigslist where i'd have my own small, 1 bedroom house (some even w/ an acre or 2) for around that much. nice, quiet, private, just do my own thing, you know?

Hey,

I've lived in Ann Arbor my entire life, and despite it being a little pricey (which it DEFINITELY is, don't get me wrong), it's a great place to live based on what you're looking for. We have 9 dispensaries, marijuana has been decriminalized since the '70s, and of course, A2 is the home of Hash Bash, so the entire MMMA has been very accepted around here. There are other options, which I think are worthwhile to consider if you don't want to dish out the cash for a pricey place to rent in A2. Ypsilanti (A2's next-door-neighbor) has some very cheap places, but there are some "unsafe" parts. There are also a lot of houses and apartments going up in the Pittsfield/Ypsi township area, which is a short 15-minute drive from Ann Arbor.

Good luck in your travels and I really hope you make it to A2 because it's a wonderful place to live :)

Hey,

I've lived in Ann Arbor my entire life, and despite it being a little pricey (which it DEFINITELY is, don't get me wrong), it's a great place to live based on what you're looking for. We have 9 dispensaries, marijuana has been decriminalized since the '70s, and of course, A2 is the home of Hash Bash, so the entire MMMA has been very accepted around here. There are other options, which I think are worthwhile to consider if you don't want to dish out the cash for a pricey place to rent in A2. Ypsilanti (A2's next-door-neighbor) has some very cheap places, but there are some "unsafe" parts. There are also a lot of houses and apartments going up in the Pittsfield/Ypsi township area, which is a short 15-minute drive from Ann Arbor.

Good luck in your travels and I really hope you make it to A2 because it's a wonderful place to live :)

Also FYI, AVOID the campus area if you move to A2--apartments and houses are WAY overpriced there. The westside of Ann Arbor has lots of cheap places...many of my friends who JUST graduated in 2010 have been able to find houses on the westside with entry-level positions soooo unless they have lots of money saved up...

Hey everyone, I'm moving from out of state and would really appreciate some advice. I just read an article on this site about Huron cracking down . . . which got me wondering. What are the best (I guess you would say the most lenient/understanding/compassionate) cities/counties in MI?

Of course, I have my preferences as to where to move, but, let's face it, I'm moving to your great state for one reason. So it would defeat the purpose of moving at all if particular cities, etc. are not tolerant, and I end up having legal problems.

I should say- I plan to to everything "by the book" and in absolute accordance with the law- I am a responsible, educated citizen, and look forward to following all laws- becoming a med. cardholder, engaging in legal, proper procedures and paperwork to become a caregiver, etc. But is this just not good enough in certain places?

So, I'm starting fresh. And if I have to move to XYZ city in MI to live in freedom, so be it- I'm not averse to small towns. I am a single male in my early 30's with no obligations. I could really use your advice from your own personal experience, so I don't wind up someplace that doesn't accept this medical treatment/lifestyle- and is prejudicial to cardholders.

Thank you all so much in advance!

http://www.clarecountyreview.com/?p=5517House are real cheap at the moment.. but check it out..lots of lakes and woods..

Best,Clare County is pretty mello.

Dan

Ann Arbor is a great choice if you can afford it and like the big city lifestyle. However if you like a slower pace and less populated area let me put a plug in for Calhoun County. So far they have been very tolerant with Battle Creek having 3 clubs\dispensaries that have not been hassled. I think we are in a good central area. One hour drive to Lake Michigan. One hour drive to Grand Rapids for the cultural things. 45 minutes to Ann Arbor for all the cultural things it has to offer.

420Peace Dan345,

Welcome into the 3ma...

For MMJ Safety, Detroit is the place 2B...

I would have to agree with R on this one!

You say your single 30 ish. detroit has some lower rent area's that are decent to live in. and the cops dont have time for penny antie b.s there>

Im up in small northern town mi, ive had ok luck up here, but i have had 3 possesion charges, luckily no g.r around or they would have taken every thing, even though im legal,

just seems what they do in some county'S check out the D I cant believe im saying that, but I lived there when I was younger and had no probs with the law!

Peace

FTW

Jim

Archived