Which Do You Think Is More Dangerous ?

Which do you think is more dangerous:

Pot or alcohol ?

==========================

TRAVERSE CITY -- UpNorthLive's Facebook fans voted to learn more

about a growing debate: Which is more dangerous: Marijuana or alcohol?

Michigan voters agreed in November, 2008 to legalize marijuana

for the treatment of some health problems.

The Michigan Medical Marijuana Program (MMMP)was set up to help

people learn more about the law. Since it was passed, many communities

have focused on local resolutions and ordinances dealing with

medical marijuana collectives.

Chestonia Township in Antrim County passed new licensing rules

Monday to deal with a medical marijuana collective that recently opened up in Alba.

The township passed an ordinance that collectives could

not open within 500 feet of parks or churches or 1,000 feet from schools.

Several other communities across northern Michigan including Grand Traverse

and Wexford Counties have also looked closer at the issue.

With medical marijuana in the headlines, some groups are calling

for marijuana to be decriminalized. Many believe drunk driving is

a much more dangerous issue affecting our communities.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse published a study which shows

alcohol is far more lethal and toxic than marijuana. According to the study,

if the average person drinks 10 times what they would need to drink

to get the 'desired effect' of alcohol, it would lead to death.

Meanwhile, one would need thousands of times the amount of THC

from marijuana as the 'desired effect' plateau.

In the U.S., there are approximately 85,000 alcohol-related

deaths per year, which includes alcohol poisoning, drunk driving,

alcohol-related violence and other alcohol-related incidents.

There have been marijuana-related deaths,

but some experts said those deaths are caused by a combination

of factors or substances, and marijuana is only one.

However, not all think marijuana is safer.

The Office of National Drug Control Policy said alcohol is actually safer.

They said marijuana consists of more than 400 substances,

while alcohol has just one (ethanol). They also said THC stays in the body for weeks,

while alcohol is eliminated after only a few hours.

Marijuana for medical purposes is currently

legal in 16 U.S. states and Washington, D.C.

Despite non-medical marijuana not being legal, 51 percent of people said

alcohol is actually more dangerous.

Jim Heinrich, a detox manager for a rehabilitation facility in

Traverse City says both can be harmful, but in his opinion alcohol

has a more immediate effect.

"Alcohol probably has more readily visible effects on people

more quickly, so it can cause a deterioration in their body

and brain pretty quickly, Not to mention of course, societal

costs such as auto accidents, going to prison, families broken up, etc..

Those are immeasurable but huge," explains Heinrich.

"Marijuana may not effect the body as strongly, as directly, although

I do believe it compromises the lung function, can effect memory,

can effect certainly a person socially, their family life, there is a

cost effect, but if we are just talking about the body, I don't think

it has as measurable and immediate effect as alcohol does," adds Heinrich.

"Of course you can launch into the discussion about marijuana being a

gateway drug to harder drugs that would have quick, harmful effects on people."

What do you think about this issue? Is pot or alcohol more dangerous

Vote in our poll here :

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=614125

You can also choose the news through our Facebook story of the day.

Each evening we post three options on our Facebook page.

You can vote on which story you'd like to hear more about on 7 & 4 News at 6.

Copy and Paste from : http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=614125

Michigan voters agreed in November, 2008 to legalize marijuana for the treatment of some health problems. The Michigan Medical Marijuana Program (MMMP) was set up to help people learn more about the law. Since it was passed, many communities have focused on local resolutions and ordinances dealing with medical marijuana collectives.

Chestonia Township in Antrim County passed new licensing rules Monday to deal with a medical marijuana collective that recently opened up in Alba.

The township passed an ordinance that collectives could not open within 500 feet of parks or churches or 1,000 feet from schools. Several other communities across northern Michigan including Grand Traverse and Wexford Counties have also looked closer at the issue.

With medical marijuana in the headlines, some groups are calling for marijuana to be decriminalized. Many believe drunk driving is a much more dangerous issue affecting our communities.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse published a study which shows alcohol is far more lethal and toxic than marijuana. According to the study, if the average person drinks 10 times what they would need to drink to get the 'desired effect' of alcohol, it would lead to death. Meanwhile, one would need thousands of times the amount of THC from marijuana as the 'desired effect' plateau.

In the U.S., there are approximately 85,000 alcohol-related deaths per year, which includes alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, alcohol-related violence and other alcohol-related incidents.

There have been marijuana-related deaths, but some experts said those deaths are caused by a combination of factors or substances, and marijuana is only one.

However, not all think marijuana is safer. The Office of National Drug Control Policy said alcohol is actually safer. They said marijuana consists of more than 400 substances, while alcohol has just one (ethanol). They also said THC stays in the body for weeks, while alcohol is eliminated after only a few hours.

Marijuana for medical purposes is currently legal in 16 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. Despite non-medical marijuana not being legal, 51 percent of people said alcohol is actually more dangerous.

Jim Heinrich, a detox manager for a rehabilitation facility in Traverse City says both can be harmful, but in his opinion alcohol has a more immediate effect.

"Alcohol probably has more readily visible effects on people more quickly, so it can cause a deterioration in their body and brain pretty quickly, Not to mention of course, societal costs such as auto accidents, going to prison, families broken up, etc.. Those are immeasurable but huge," explains Heinrich.

"Marijuana may not effect the body as strongly, as directly, although I do believe it compromises the lung function, can effect memory, can effect certainly a person socially, their family life, there is a cost effect, but if we are just talking about the body, I don't think it has as measurable and immediate effect as alcohol does," adds Heinrich. "Of course you can launch into the discussion about marijuana being a gateway drug to harder drugs that would have quick, harmful effects on people."

What do you think about this issue? Is pot or alcohol more dangerous? Vote in our poll below and leave your comments!

You can also choose the news through our Facebook story of the day. Each evening we post three options on our Facebook page. You can vote on which story you'd like to hear more about on 7 & 4 News at 6.

They are talking ,

In my opinion we are wining !!

Don"t forget to vote !!

My link http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=614125

Dr. Tarzan, I seen the same thing on the news.

And posted it at about the same time as you, LOL .

So maybe merge my post in to yours. Thank you,

and the pole is going great

.IMo. If we are talking , we are wining :thumbsu:

And notice what Federal agency is contradicting themselves ,

after all the years of lying .

I voted and replied on the post too.. and they showed my post on the television again, this is the second time.. but tonight they showed my profile I had up for breast cancer.. boobies with a pink ribbon, (well, not the whole boob) :P I couldn't believe it when I saw it tonight.. right there with my name! FUNNY!! :lol:

This was on the article that they had up.. just wondering where this information came from.

Have there really been marijuana related deaths?

This was on the article that they had up.. just wondering where this information came from.

I heard, It would take 1500 LB, smoked in 15 min, to die from cannabis.

I believe they were referring to when they find instances when people are intoxicated on other substances but marijuana was also present. Such as a drunk driver killing someone but also had marijuana in there system. I can`t believe any cop could answer that wrong with all the fatalities they encounter with alcohol. It seems to me that alcoholism should be a qualifying condition for MMJ I know for a fact it helped me and it seems like every other person I meet has done the same thing. Its hard to drink when your medicated on the good stuff. Peace, Afi

Comments 336

23-year-old man stuffed baggie of pot in his mouth during arrest, authorities say

December 11, 2009 10:58:00 AM S. BRADY CALHOUN / News Herald Writer PANAMA CITY BEACH — A man who was tased by Bay County Sheriff’s deputies choked to death on a “large bag of marijuana,” sheriff’s officials said Friday morning. Part of the incident was caught on video recordings.

Authorities said Andrew Grande, 23, of 219 Placido Place, was running away from deputies at the Executive Inn on Front Beach Road after they responded to a physical disturbance there about 2 a.m. Friday. The deputies made contact with Crystal Amber Cronnon, 22, of 103 Dana Way, who identified Grande as the person who assaulted her. Officials said Cronnon is a friend of Grande’s and that the two had argued while Cronnon was driving in the area. Grande pushed her several times and then got out of the car near the Executive Inn, officials said.

A man, who identified himself as Cronnon’s father at the home on Dana Way, said she no longer lived there and would not talk to the media about the incident. He described her as very distraught.

Attempts to contact Grande’s family were not successful Friday.

When deputies confronted Grande, they were able to place a handcuff on his wrist, and during the struggle they observed Grande attempting to place something in his mouth.

The recordings

The rest of the incident is caught on two video recordings for Tru TV and on a sheriff’s dashboard camera. A three-person crew was riding with deputies during the incident and caught most of it. The Sheriff’s Office released the recordings Friday. Tru TV officials did not return calls seeking comment.

One of the recordings opens with a deputy shouting, “Spit it out.”

The recording shows Grande on the ground while three deputies hold him down.

He is wheezing.

One of the Bay County Sheriff’s deputies is heard talking by radio with a dispatcher.

“He swallowed something,” the deputy says. Grande tries, desperately, to talk. The deputies have Grande’s right hand behind his back. He attempts to get up.

Deputies tell him to stop resisting or they will tase him, but he gets to his feet. They tase him and he immediately rips the stun gun’s prongs out of his chest.

He falls to the ground. While seated, he puts his hand in his mouth and down his throat in what appears to be an attempt to vomit. When that does not succeed, Grande slaps his hand against the concrete and then both of his hands against his chest.

“I can’t breathe,” he says. “I can’t breathe.”

The deputies perform the Heimlich maneuver, but they cannot get the object out of his throat.

“Let us help you, man,” one of them shouts. “Hang in there.”

The cause of death

After emergency medical technicians arrived, they removed the bag of marijuana from his throat with forceps, officials said. Grande was taken to Bay Medical Center and pronounced dead at the hospital, according to a Sheriff’s Office news release. An autopsy was performed Friday afternoon and the preliminary cause of death is asphyxia due to obstruction of the airway by a foreign material, officials said.

Bay County Sheriff’s officials said three deputies were involved in the incident, Sgt. Billy Byrd, Deputy Rick Williams and Deputy David Higgins.

At a press conference Friday afternoon, Sheriff Frank McKeithen said he felt bad for Grande’s family and for the deputies involved.

“These guys watched this person die and there was absolutely nothing they could do about it,” McKeithen said.

He said the deputies did not realize at first that Grande was choking and they initially believed he was overdosing. McKeithen said Grande likely only faced misdemeanor charges if he had just complied with the deputies.

“It could have been handled by compliance,” McKeithen said. “It pretty much ended up with him taking his own life.”

Officials said Grande had a minor criminal history, including arrests for battery and trespassing.

The deputies have been placed on administrative leave, and McKeithen has asked Florida’s Department of Law Enforcement to investigate the incident. Both of those actions are common after a death that involves a deputy. None of the deputies have been reprimanded in their history with the Sheriff’s Office, McKeithen added.

( But not because the marijuana itself caused the person to die… he choked to death trying to avoid the punishment required by the prohibition of marijuana.)

Here is NIDA views on cannabis ..

It's the "catch-22" that has plagued medical marijuana advocates and patients for decades. Lawmakers and health regulators demand clinical studies on the safety and efficacy of medical cannabis, but the federal agency in charge of such research bars these investigations from ever taking place.

But it took until now for the federal government to finally admit it.

A spokesperson for the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) told The New York Times last week that the agency does "not fund research focused on the potential medical benefits of marijuana."

Why is this admission so significant? Here's why.

Under federal law, NIDA (along with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration) must approve all clinical and preclinical research involving marijuana. NIDA strictly controls which investigators are allowed access to the federal government's lone research supply of pot - which is authorized via a NIDA contract and cultivated and stored at the University of Mississippi.

In short, no NIDA approval = no marijuana = no scientific studies. And that is, and always has been, the problem.

But to the folks over at NIDA, there's no problem at all.

Speaking to The New York Times in a January 19, 2010 article entitled, "Researchers Find Medical Study of Marijuana Discouraged," NIDA spokeswoman Shirley Simson said: "As the National Institute on Drug Abuse, our focus is primarily on the negative consequences of marijuana use. We generally do not fund research focused on the potential beneficial medical effects of marijuana."

Since NIDA presently oversees an estimated 85 percent of the world's research on controlled substances, the agency's ban on medical marijuana research isn't just limited to the United States' borders; it extends throughout the planet.

Previous legal attempts to break NIDA's bureaucratic logjam have failed to weaken the agency's iron grip.

In 2007, U.S. DEA Administrative Law Judge Mary Ellen Bittner ruled that NIDA's monopolization of marijuana research is not "in the public interest," and ordered the federal government to allow private manufacturers to produce the drug for research purposes. But in January of last year, DEA Deputy Administrator Michele Leonhart set aside Judge Bittner's ruling -- stating that NIDA possesses "adequate" quantities of cannabis to meet the needs of clinical investigators, and that the agency monopoly on the distribution of marijuana for research is compliant with America's international treaty obligations. (Notably, on January 26, 2010 President Barack Obama selected Leonhart to be the DEA's full time Director.)

Most recently, in November 2009 the American Medical Association's (AMA) Council on Science and Public Health declared, "Results of short term controlled trials indicate that smoked cannabis reduces neuropathic pain, improves appetite and caloric intake especially in patients with reduced muscle mass, and may relieve spasticity and pain in patients with multiple sclerosis."

However, the Council lamented that despite these encouraging preliminary results, "[T]here is a contrast between the relatively small number of patients who have been studied over the past 30 years in controlled clinical trials involving smoked cannabis and survey data from patients with chronic pain, multiple sclerosis, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis that indicates a significant use of cannabis for self management."

And just what is the precise reason for this "contrast?" The AMA failed to specify, but to anyone who has followed this issue, the answer is painfully obvious.

Nevertheless, the AMA still resolved, "[The] AMA urges that marijuana's status as a federal Schedule I controlled substance be reviewed with the goal of facilitating the conduct of clinical research and development of cannabinoid-based medicines."

But since any future clinical trials would still require NIDA approval -- approval that the agency admits won't be coming any time soon -- it remains unclear what effect, if any, the AMA's declaration will have on facilitating medical marijuana research. If history is any guide, it's unlikely that the AMA request -- much like the cries of tens of thousands of patients before it -- will have any effect on NIDA at all.

Paul Armentano is the deputy director of NORML (the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws), and is the co-author of the book Marijuana Is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink? (2009, Chelsea Green). He may be contacted at: paul@norml.org.

I am the last male in my family besides my son, wanna guess what burried my dad, 2 grand fathers, 1 grandmother, and it will kill my other grandmother, and unfortunatly my mother. I do not drink alcohol becasue I watched my dad die infront of me when I was 18, and I had just met him when I was 16. After his death, for whatever reason my "teenage drinking" became a serious problem. I was arrested multiple times (no dui, or driving offenses) but all due to alcohol, ever since I quit I haven't been in a cell and I don't plan on going back. I have friends who are 30-35 and still drink every day to excess, as well as my step father who is just shy of 60 who will end up like the rest of my family. I refuse to have the nation promote alcohol so openly and have HOLIDAYS where you are supposed to get drunk (cinco de mayo, st pattys day, NYE, nearly all celebatory acticities include and promote the use of alcohol, but if someone sparks a joing the room turns quiet, and you're told to leave most of the time. Ignorant people are by FAR the biggest problem of communities, nations, forum boards, job places, everywhere basically.

MIMedClones,

:goodjob: for quitting! Sorry that alcoholism took so much of your family.

My mom was alcoholic but she got sober, and died sober. I had a drinking problem too, and from experience, alcholol makes me do things I wouldn't normally do. Not only that, but with aloholics, the more we drink, the more we want. I was at the point where I wanted to quit drinking, but couldn't. Thank God I got on some medicine for another condition that had the side effect of making me really sick when I drank! I haven't drank for 4 years now.

Anyway just compare what happens if you "OD" on marijuana - munchies and sleep - with what happens if you OD on alcohol - poisoning and death.

Marijuana is more dangerous. Masked men carrying automatic weapons do not kick in your door and shoot your dogs for beer, yet. Otherwise marijuana is relatively harmless. A good way to make alcohol more dangerous would be to prohibit it.

Last April 9th , 2011 was my 27 years of not Drinking any Alcohol ...

Seems So strange everytime i go to Petoskey

where " Petoskeystone " ( Rich ) is Fighting for his Life ...

Habor Hall is where i got sober and saved my Life ,

even though i never graduated from there ...

They kicked me out of there ... and i went to Prison

for Sales , Delievery & Manufacture of Marijuana .

There is No Doubt that Alcohol is MUCH MORE DANGEROUS then Marijuana ... FACT

Our Government will Never Admit this ...

They Make too much Money from the Sales of Alcohol ...

You'd have to be Mentally Handicap not to see this w/

your own eye the MONEY it cost taxpayers from people using Alcohol ...

The Familys it has Ruined ...

Inocent People Killed , and this list could go on Forever ....

What is dangerous is people confusing recreational use with medical use. What is dangerous is people trying to medicate themselves with alcohol. What is dangerous is people taking pharmacutials for recreational use. Its not the drug, its the thinking.

Alcohol can be ok if treated with care and respect, same for marijuana. Both require respect.

People need to be taught again that drinking is just recreation, entertainment - it was not meant to help sleep problems, depression, PTSD, anger management, stress, etc. People need to be taught that pills are dangerous enough that you should only take them when NEEDED and prescribed, not when you are bored or feeling stressed.

Marijuana has its distinct problem - as it can be used both recreationally and medically, those need to be explained to new patients and minors.

Change the thinking. Stop being a chump for the alcohol industries, stop falling for the sleazy advertizements that you need booze to hav e fun.

-DN

I like the story of some guy dieing from a plastic bag as the best "marijuana death" we can come up with. I don't like someone died, I like that it is the worst story. it always seems to be the prohibition that causes it.

About the guy who said it is harmful to the lungs, well why smoke it. Eat it, make pills, oils, salves, balms, tinctures. I personally don't like smoking it, I get too high too fast. I love eating a few cookies though... If that's the best they can come up with is that it is harmful to the lungs, legalize it so you won't go to jail for making a lb of mmj into simpson oil and you have no fear of your neighbors turning you in beccause you are cooking it on your back porch.

Archived