My First Grow - Strains To Be Revealed At A Later Date

donnachris

Ok so the water in the drip pan was from a flush you did? After a good flush it will take a while until the plant uptakes water the same as it did before the flush. And recovery from whatever issue you had will take time. If you left water in the drip pan for a long period of time the medium can't drain properly. Leaving that water in there for two days was way too long. Any water the drains out needs to be removed to allow the medium to breath. If it's been soaked for two days straight as a result you are going to have to give it some time to dry. You can judge whether or not it needs water based on weight, a wet medium will be noticeably heavier than a dry medium.

Thank you JayT, I understand that. The last time that they got flushed it didn't take any time to uptake the water that was in the tray. The water was there when I looked in the morning and when I went back to check at noon the tray was bone dry.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I pulled a brandh with a few small buds off my # 3 Lemon Cake plant on Thursday so that I could try it out and see if it is where I want it. It was dry enough to smoke today. Even though it had not been flushed (but it did just get an emergency flush last week...lol), there was no chemical flavor and it was the smoothest meds I have ever smoked. The taste was...well there really wasn't much of a taste to it, hopefully curing will take care of that. I got a small head and body buzz from the one joint that we smoked that lasted about an hour and a half.

• 2 weeks later...

So the plants in flower are looking great. The fan leaves are yellowing as expected. I think because of the trichomes they may not be as early I as I originitally thought. I was thinking that maybe they were going to be early because the trichomes on Plant #3 Lemon Cake are at about 90% cloudy, 5% clear and 5% amber and Plant #2 UK Cheese is at about 95% cloudy 2 1/2% clear and amber and they have been there for a couple of days, not much change at all in them.

So anyways I pull a branch off of each of the plants so that I can dry it and heck to see if the plants are where I want them to be, probably not since I want to have almost complete amber for couch lock. I am in severe pain every day from arthritis in my neck lower back, hips, and knees. I am tryng to replace 800 mgs of morphine daily. If anyone out there has a strain that will take care of my pain and will donate a clone to me for a contribution I would really appreciate it. I have high hopes for my Lemon Cake as I have tried a fellow growers harvest. The UK Cheese was given to me as a hope that it would help me but I have yet to be able to try it.

I am also looking for a strain that would be good for anxiety and depression. I had heard good things about SkyWalker and a friend used to grow it but it didn't work for pain so his patients did not like it.

Here is a tip. I have found that UNDER HPS lighting if you wait until all the hairs look orange that is probably a good time to consider harvestput the plant under regular lighting about half of the hairs will lookorange. Of course puting the bud under a microscope to see how the trichomes are doing is a good follow up. It is really easy to harvest to early esp when you are anxious.

Here is a tip. I have found that UNDER HPS lighting if you wait until all the hairs look orange that is probably a good time to consider harvest put the plant under regular lighting about half of the hairs will lookorange. Of course puting the bud under a microscope to see how the trichomes are doing is a good follow up. It is really easy to harvest to early esp when you are anxious.

Yes, you're right, the hairs are about half orange. If I waitt until they are all orange, about what will my trichomes look like?? i was told I that since I wanted couch lock that I wanted the trichomes to be 100% amber.

AND is it that obvious that I am anxious?? But as far as looking at the trichomes the first time, i wasn't even looking at the trichomes, I was checking to make sure that I had gotten rid of the mites that I had somehow been cursed with.

Yes, you're right, the hairs are about half orange. If I waitt until they are all orange, about what will my trichomes look like?? i was told I that since I wanted couch lock that I wanted the trichomes to be 100% amber.

I think 100% is pretty extreme. Try harvesting some well before that and see how it works for you after it has been in the jar a week.

Closer to %100 Milky is what you are looking for. Getting a plant to 100% amber trichomes would mean severe THC degradation, the heads on all the trichomes would be busted, and most likely the plant would be about dead at that point.

Here is a scope pic of a plant I pulled at peak harvest. Trichs are all milky with about 10% amber.

Picture082.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I wanted to try the meds at the ten week mark so I cut a couple of buds off both of the plants The Lemon Cake and The UK Cheese. When I pulled them off the plant the trichomes were like 100% cloudy on the Lemon Cake and like 60/40% cloudy/amber on the UK Cheese. Then I put it in my drying cabinet and when I pulled the Lemon Cake out the trichomes were moostly amber. I was told they would keep changing as it dried, now I've seen it. Now I have decided to take the whole plant down, I will post a picture of it later on this afternoon. There aren't many fan leaves on either plant because of the ph problems of a month ago.

Well, we didn't cut the bush down as one complete plant, ,we cut it off in bits and pieces so we can pout it in the drying cabinet. It filled three 9x13 brownie pans heaping to about three or four inches. I am quite pleased with the harvest that I got from the Lemon Cake Plant # 3.

I will use her roots to make a balm that I posted the recipe for in the medibles section. Several people have tried it and said it worked wonders for them, so I wanted to try it also.

Have A Happy Harvest Day!!!

So this is the main cola after I cut it off of my Lemon Cake plant.

gallery_22326_960_702913.jpg

The smoke is wonderful, its smooth as ever. I am really proud of the work that I did and I couldnt have done it without a lot of help from a lot of people on this forum. You helped me with problems that I had and you helped me get over bumps in the road where I wasn't quite sure what to do.

If you cut the main top of the plant your side branches will replace your top. but the plant will only produce only so much, its mass = how much roots. it basically comes down to trimmin would ya rather trim a bunch of little buds or one big one with a few nice side branches.

Ended up that my main cola weighed out at 27.1 grams and the other cola buds weighed from like 7.6 grams up to almost 26.5 grams so they still turned out pretty nice for being side buds, well on the Lemon Cake so far. I haven't cut the UK Cheese yet. I am trying to get her just a little more amber. Her colas are almost all about 50/50 cloudy/amber but only as far as about two inches down the bud. I was hoping that more of the buds would be amber but I am already at 11 weeks when I was told that this was a 65-70 day strain and I am at 77 days today.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that some strains will produce significantly more meds if topped out. Not all strains respond this way however. I grow a strain that will produce 3 times as much weight in flowers if I top it so it branches out a few times. What is good for one strain can be very different for another.

What strain is that, pm me please.

Ended up that my main cola weighed out at 27.1 grams and the other cola buds weighed from like 7.6 grams up to almost 26.5 grams so they still turned out pretty nice for being side buds, well on the Lemon Cake so far. I haven't cut the UK Cheese yet. I am trying to get her just a little more amber. Her colas are almost all about 50/50 cloudy/amber but only as far as about two inches down the bud. I was hoping that more of the buds would be amber but I am already at 11 weeks when I was told that this was a 65-70 day strain and I am at 77 days today.

Nice first grow!

Hey Donnachris, the skywaker you should remove the lower branches and let the tops grow out.

Funny...lol...I already did take the lower branches off, I cut them and rooted them to start some clones. They rooted very nicely I have to say. The top of the plant is starting to get very bushy, I am thinking that after I through my Big Budha Cheese into flower, the SkyWalker will be the next one to go in, so that means about 12 more days until it goes into the flower room.

i had three plants in flower but one of them has died. I watered her like six days ago then three days ago I woke her up and she looked like she was super dry so i watered her, then she went from looking dry to looking water logged. I am so unsure of what is going on with her. But I know one thing, I need to increase the amount of nutrients that I am giving my plant. I have been giving them 8ml of Mag Pro and 16 ml of Bloom. I am going to increase them to 10ml and 20 ml respectively and see if that doesn't solve my problem, also I picked up a bottle of Pro Tekt and hopefully that will help my plants out. If increasing the nutrients doesn't work, i don't knokw what I am going to do. My Lemon Cake and UK Cheese are constantly looking deficient. The Lemon Cake that is left in flower is more than half yellow. When I feed her next it will be with the increased nutrients plus Pro Tekt and I may also give her some Bat Guano to give her a Nitrogen boost which she so terribly needs before she looses all of her leaves.

Nice first grow!

Thank You, there were times that I wasn't sure that either of the two plants were going to make it but harvesting over 20 ounce I don't feel I did too bad. I harvested over 11 ounces off the UK Cheese. and The Lemon Cake along with the 252.8 grams I also put over two and a half ounces of sugar leaf in the freezer plus I put about 4 ounces of undried meds in the freezer to make medibles out of.

I have been having a tough time growing . Some was physical and mental abillities but really most is just not being in contact with others and learning because of it . This is my 6 th grow I believe . I went down and looked at my plants they were very yellow and even starting to have dead spots . Since the beginning I read the first mistake of new growers is to over fertilize . I had just doubled my light too on newbie313's suggestion ( yes it does help but it costs ) so I was worried about that . I had moved it up and went from 24 on to 18 / 6 but no change . I saw your pictures and discussion on feeding . Last night I braved up and added more nutes . I actually was afraid this would be the last straw and kill the weakest one . By this morning they were all greener a few dead spots were in retreat only the worst one was still damaged . I hope I can save it as it is one of my favorites Snow White . I think for 3 years I have been starving my plants . I am very book smart and read everything yet I did this - were all human even our legislators that forget how growing is healthy and regulation puts people in jail doing more harm then this plant ever could and the truth is medical cannabis and growing it is benefitical to patients . Thanks .

Hopefully when I get over to Jackson next time the grower I purchased my latest strain " The Church " from will be there and I will be able to ask about their routine . I have just watered it the first week and the leaves are just curling a tad on the bottom of the plant . He had it so healthy I am considering keeping it in the same pot for 12 weeks until harvest . It went straight to the flower room after removing two clones for the veg . I have also started using the reverse osmosis water for seedlings and it but it is too hard to obtain for my hydro or other soil plants . These info threads are getting better and better in MIchigan no need to look to other more established MM boards .

I saw your pictures and discussion on feeding . Last night I braved up and added more nutes . I actually was afraid this would be the last straw and kill the weakest one . By this morning they were all greener a few dead spots were in retreat only the worst one was still damaged .

I am so glad that my grow log was able to help somebody. Now I know that it did what I set out for it to do.

I have also started using the reverse osmosis water for seedlings and it but it is too hard to obtain for my hydro or other soil plants . These info threads are getting better and better in MIchigan no need to look to other more established MM boards .

what do you mean it is too hard to obtain for your hydro or other soil plants??

I am so glad that my grow log was able to help somebody. Now I know that it did what I set out for it to do.

what do you mean it is too hard to obtain for your hydro or other soil plants??

It has to be bought at the store and brought home in 5 gallon jugs . I have a neck injury with fusion and bad discs above and below it ( a small part of my problems ) . Lifting compresses my discs causing nerve pain that lasts long after the activity . Even walking hurts . So it is difficult to impossible to use RO water for all my needs do to all the lifting involved . I do have a hose from my well to my room but the water is very hard , very very hard . I use a water softener but only drink the RO water due to salt and high blood pressure at times . I avoid dirt because of lifting too but have had some of my best grows with it . I just tried DWC but plants didn't seem to do well it may of been the nutes there too next time I will try more . Thanks for asking .

It has to be bought at the store and brought home in 5 gallon jugs . I have a neck injury with fusion and bad discs above and below it ( a small part of my problems ) . Lifting compresses my discs causing nerve pain that lasts long after the activity . Even walking hurts . So it is difficult to impossible to use RO water for all my needs do to all the lifting involved . I do have a hose from my well to my at times . I avoid dirt because of lifting too but have had some of my best grows with it . I just tried DWC but plants didn't seem to do well it may of been the nutes there too next time I will try more . Thanks for asking .

Get a small home ro unit. Or do what I do and lower the ph of well water. I use white vinagar and a ph test kit 5.8-6.3 should do it but shoot for the lower number since soil ph tends to rise. I suppose this is because of continued release of dissolved solids. Okay heres the trick get a small pump and hose. Anyone want to help and improve my idea? Please go for it. The point being to think of ways to avoid lifting. There are systems , hydro that feed off a resevoir. You could get a barrel fill it up with a pump, adjust add ferts as needed, and let the system do the heavy lifting.

I am sure there are some minds out there who have thought of this type of thing, your problem is solvable but you will have to try to take a different approach to compensate for your informities, you wuss! (Okay I have a couple of discs that are f up too and it is one wuss calling the other furry! :devil:

Archived