Has Medical Marijuana Peaked?

bobandtorey

NORML's outreach coordinator "Radical Russ" Belville thinks so. In his NORML blog, he cites declining public support and a continuing backlash, and asks, "Has medical marijuana gone as far as it can go?"

Here are some excerpts:

MMJsymbol_green135.jpgA closer examination reveals a reform strategy that has stalled out and may even be in decline. The last election saw Oregon fail to pass a dispensary measure for the second time with about the same support after six years. South Dakota defeated medical marijuana with only 36% support, a drop of 12 points since they tried in 2006. Arizona only barely passed medical marijuana with 50.13% support, when they had previously seen 65% in 1996 and 64% in a 1998 referendum (both of the '90s Arizona Acts were invalidated).

MMJsymbol_green81.jpgNo state followed California’s lead in making marijuana available by doctor’s recommendation for “any other illness for which marijuana provides relief,” instead crafting strict condition lists and patient registries. The West Coast standard of a dozen or more home-grown plants became three to six plants or no home growing at all. The precedent of a half-pound or more of usable medicine became one or two ounces, tracked to the gram and filmed at all times. Courts all across the Ninth Circuit have ruled that medical marijuana use does not protect patients from job discrimination and patients still experience housing, child custody and medical procedure discrimination on a daily basis.

MMJsymbol_green81.jpgColorado legislators passed a series of medical marijuana business regulations making it more difficult and expensive to operate a dispensary than a liquor store and impossible to be a personal caregiver who just supplies marijuana to a patient. Montana outright repealed medical marijuana, saved only by a governor’s veto, only to enact new strict regulations to decimate (literally) the medical marijuana program. California localities continue to restrict dispensary operations. Washington’s governor vetoed a dispensary measure. Arizona’s governor is stonewalling implementation of dispensaries. Alaska, Maine, Nevada and Vermont still have fewer than 1,000 protected patients. New Jersey and District of Columbia leaders are dragging their feet and haven’t implemented their programs yet.

MMJsymbol_green81.jpgMedical marijuana started a revitalization of marijuana activism. But I believe it has reached a point where any future medical marijuana laws will have to be increasingly restrictive.

MMJsymbol_green81.jpgUntil marijuana is supported as a good thing for all and not an evil thing we allow medical exceptions for, medical marijuana patients will remain in second-class citizenship and healthy marijuana smokers will remain behind bars.

Opinion: Belville would appear to be correct. Medical marijuana has peaked and the focus should turn to taxing and regulating marijuana for all uses, such as last year's failed Prop 19 effort in California. Medical-marijuana is the bridge to outright legalization. But it has become an albatross, with the media constantly poking fun of medical use. Caught by a student puffing a pipe in Bad Teacher, Cameron Diaz casually rationalizes, "It's medicinal." It's a good punch line, but also a punch in the gut to all other users. Diaz's teacher has to hide behind cannabis' medical benefits to justify her use to a student when she should have simply said it was her right and to bug off. In 50/50, which is currently in theaters, Seth Rogen's character is asked why he has a medical card. "I have night blindness," he quips. Ha ha. You get the idea.

We, of course, will continue to support all efforts to legalize medicinal use and expand beyond the current 16 states that have passed laws in favor. But it is our great hope that California, Colorado or another state will be the first to tax and regulate cannabis just like California did with medical marijuana 15 years ago.

Let us know what you think...

http://www.celebstoner.com/201111048996/blogs/misc/has-medical-marijuana-peaked.html

i think the last 3 yrs, more people are worried about how the government and large corporations have been caught again and again giving John and Jane Q Public the pic pocket reach around. Thus they have had to turn their attentions up a few notches, and look at larger issues, like wall street and government theft of millions of folks retirements, and many of their children's future.

but make no mistake, Its not slowing down, but i think many folks have had to broaden their focus on issues at hand, which is a general take away from a pinpoint issue such as Cannabis, medical or otherwise.

It's just a Sing of the Times.

Totally disagree with his observations and unjustified allegations. We have been at the fore front of the current activism that has captured the attention of this country. From the Govt attrocities against the People that started in WI and Ohio. Sure these other causes have some what eclipsed us for the moment, we were the ones at the forefront attempting to negotiate with these Nazistas. We were the 63%, now its the 99%, we're all in this together now. Its about the Whole Agenda.

They showed the entire country that they are not going to listen to US the People of the MMA. And continue to Nurse off the Toxic Corporate Titts.

Thumbs down on this negative, biased, inaccurate, devisive and toxic piece. Phoooey on your cowboypoopoo !

Maybe a change of tactics is needed.

I don't think the public will ever deny that sick people need meds, organic meds even. But some of the issues in the news, some of the things that make the public hesitate - could be those trying to push the medical use for legalization.

I think we need to be more clear, more honest, and more transparent. Many compassionate individuals and clubs speak for themselves - will the public come into your home or club and see acid rock posters, messy and unkempt like some teenager's room, profanity, and people talking about partying and getting 'so wasted'. Or will they see a new healthcare choice, a new economy, and feel comfortable in a clean, organized environment staffed by reasonable looking, smart and courteous people willing to teach everything they know about medical use of marijuana?

When the news puts a person on TV that looks so non-conformist, unkempt, unshaven, wearing a tie-dye shirt that sports a big leaf and says "Get High" talking about how 'weed can change the world' - we missed the point - most sick and disabled people were once professional, college educated, skilled, - we worked, went to church and school, we tried to fit in. The medical crowd looks different from the legalization crowd, and new patients and new caregivers probably feel uncomfortable being mixed in with the hardcore legalization crowd. Sick and disabled people are not looking to change the world, they are looking for relief for a medical condition. They want credible, professional, healthcare minded people to help advise them on how to use marijuana as medicine.

We have the medical laws in place, lets use the laws for medical use. I think we need to prove marijuana's value as medicine, before people will accept it for legal recreational use. Anytime people try to abuse the medical laws for legalization - the public picks up on that, and it sets our efforts backward.

Marijuana can change the world, but we cannot sidestep or take shortcuts to get to utopia. If it is medical use we are fighting for, lets be clear and honest to the public about it.

DN

Maybe a change of tactics is needed.

I don't think the public will ever deny that sick people need meds, organic meds even. But some of the issues in the news, some of the things that make the public hesitate - could be those trying to push the medical use for legalization.

I think we need to be more clear, more honest, and more transparent. Many compassionate individuals and clubs speak for themselves - will the public come into your home or club and see acid rock posters, messy and unkempt like some teenager's room, profanity, and people talking about partying and getting 'so wasted'. Or will they see a new healthcare choice, a new economy, and feel comfortable in a clean, organized environment staffed by reasonable looking, smart and courteous people willing to teach everything they know about medical use of marijuana?

When the news puts a person on TV that looks so non-conformist, unkempt, unshaven, wearing a tie-dye shirt that sports a big leaf and says "Get High" talking about how 'weed can change the world' - we missed the point - most sick and disabled people were once professional, college educated, skilled, - we worked, went to church and school, we tried to fit in. The medical crowd looks different from the legalization crowd, and new patients and new caregivers probably feel uncomfortable being mixed in with the hardcore legalization crowd. Sick and disabled people are not looking to change the world, they are looking for relief for a medical condition. They want credible, professional, healthcare minded people to help advise them on how to use marijuana as medicine.

We have the medical laws in place, lets use the laws for medical use. I think we need to prove marijuana's value as medicine, before people will accept it for legal recreational use. Anytime people try to abuse the medical laws for legalization - the public picks up on that, and it sets our efforts backward.

Marijuana can change the world, but we cannot sidestep or take shortcuts to get to utopia. If it is medical use we are fighting for, lets be clear and honest to the public about it.

DN

It was the legalization people that made medical possible.

Almost all of the legalization people pushed for this change.

Those that fell into "I'm for medical, not legal" voted for the law.. most did anyway. This is a much smaller number.

The medical only people probably represent about 10% of the yes vote.

So .. it's improper for those ~90% to post here? ( not saying that is what you are asking for )

Both sides were criminals before we got the law passed.

And please, I get the feeling we are headed toward "If you talk about marijuana, then you will cause thousands of federal swat teams to swarm our state to find our joints .." etc.

That's not the case.

So, was the medical marijuana laws just an attempt by the legalization crowd to legalize marijuana?

Or did we produce the MMMAct for legitimate patients and CGs?

as far as the feds are concerned, it does not matter if its medicine or legalized, they still do the SWAT thing.

not saying legalization crowd can't post here, rather than ASA or Norml sites - but why not support medical use, why not help the medical crowd - the new people coming into this program?

Again, what did you want the public to see when they google "michigan medical marijuana" and not "High Times" or "Buzz!"?

Why not let the medical crowd have its site? We can give credit to yesterday's warriors - but what about today's warriors - grandma who never smoked in her life before, what about the people who identify with their professional, law abiding background - who never protested a thing in their life? Why make them feel like they are going to be outlaws if they try to become a Michigan Medical Marijuana patient or CG?

DN

So, was the medical marijuana laws just an attempt by the legalization crowd to legalize marijuana?

as far as the feds are concerned, it does not matter if its medicine or legalized, they still do the SWAT thing.

not saying legalization crowd can't post here, rather than ASA or Norml sites - but why not support medical use, why not help the medical crowd - the new people coming into this program?

Again, what did you want the public to see when they google "michigan medical marijuana" and not "High Times" or "Buzz!"?

Why not let the medical crowd have its site? We can give credit to yesterday's warriors - but what about today's warriors - grandma who never smoked in her life before, what about the people who identify with their professional, law abiding background - who never protested a thing in their life? Why make them feel like they are going to be outlaws if they try to become a Michigan Medical Marijuana patient or CG?

DN

Just can't understand why educated people continue to use the 'M' word knowing it's steeped in more than 7 decades of hatred and racism. Russ of all people should know better. No excuse for him.

We wouldn't call a premium Scottish single malt 'booze' as it would be degrading and insulting to that fine 'oisce beata' [water of life in Gaelic].

Same thing with calling that sacred healing 'cannabis' plant we all use by the 'M' word which shows absolutely no honor for the plant.

But I'm just an old hippie. What do I know.

Peace. :rock:

DN

Let's end the question.

We tried to tell the state to end the war, just for the sick people.

That is confusing to them. Or so they claim.

We intent to end the confusion. No one with 12 plants and/or less than 2.5 ounces is to be arrested at all.

That way these poor confused folks will understand.

I don't think its peaked, I think it is still in its infancy stage.

Last nite was reading a article that stated 6000 people will try marijuana before the end of the day(everyday)

So the medical part will keep getting new patients as time goes on and on.

Plus as the good word spreads and the general public becomes more aware of the advantages to it, it will grow more.

I don't think its peaked, I think it is still in its infancy stage.

Last nite was reading a article that stated 6000 people will try marijuana before the end of the day(everyday)

So the medical part will keep getting new patients as time goes on and on.

Plus as the good word spreads and the general public becomes more aware of the advantages to it, it will grow more.

It holds the cure for cancer ..

It will advance. There is no stopping the medical aspect of this now.

I think demand has only just begun and that will push the upward trend in legalization.

Regarding Digital Nomad's statements on legalization and the 3MA forums: I have experienced uneasiness reading these posts especially since you became a mod. I am for removal of all laws against Cannabis (In my mind who wouldn't be?) I love counterculture art and music. I have longish hair and a goatee. Are you saying you want me and 'my kind' out of here? Never mind what I'm doing to help patients who really need it. I don't really talk about that because it's not really anyone's business here. I'd rather post up some grow threads and music. Maybe that's all you see, DN and maybe it bothers you. That's okay, just don't start some crusade against those of us who are pro-legalization and like to have a little fun.

Its time to decide when 'fun' is more for your personal enjoyment, than the benefit of the site. I hate to be the one to enforce the rules, but someone has to.

To imply that I judge people by how they look, means you have never seen me in my punk jacket. On the forums I can see what people write, and how they interact with other members - that is how I get to know people.

I had asked that members try to focus on the site - michigan medical marijuana, it is the site name, and it is in the rules. It was there before I came here. While I was here on and off since 2009, I saw legalization people that would side track topics regarding medical use and the law even. New patients and CGs do not want to be advocates, test cases, or hear about partying - they wanted to learn about medical use.

This is just a period of adjustment, as the COA changes the rules on us, as LEO tactics surface, we have to change too.

And, I am just a single mod, working under a Admin. I just work here dave.

DN

Its time to decide when 'fun' is more for your personal enjoyment, than the benefit of the site. I hate to be the one to enforce the rules, but someone has to.

To imply that I judge people by how they look, means you have never seen me in my punk jacket. On the forums I can see what people write, and how they interact with other members - that is how I get to know people.

I had asked that members try to focus on the site - michigan medical marijuana, it is the site name, and it is in the rules. It was there before I came here. While I was here on and off since 2009, I saw legalization people that would side track topics regarding medical use and the law even. New patients and CGs do not want to be advocates, test cases, or hear about partying - they wanted to learn about medical use.

This is just a period of adjustment, as the COA changes the rules on us, as LEO tactics surface, we have to change too.

And, I am just a single mod, working under a Admin. I just work here dave.

DN

Thank you for making that clear.

I mean if those are the rules of the MMMA then the site structure violates the rules. Several forums are going to have to be discarded. No more entertainment. Just destroy the whole Social Discussions area.

I suspect those aren't rules so much as guidelines. I certainly haven't noticed an over-emphasis on legalization. DN, your interpretation of these guidelines is as unpopular as it is counter-productive. Just look at your thread. A fun site is an active, healthy site. Celebrating our beloved genetics is fun and so is getting a groove on. We can do that and be politically active regarding medical Cannabis too.

I have to say I'm getting a mixed impression of you, DN. On one hand I'm sure you're really cool but on the other hand I hear you saying you are against legalization because you think there is a drug problem in this country and legal Cannabis would make it worse. I don't know how to understand that as anything but backwards. Combined with the ever-present middle finger it's kind of hard not to see you as antagonistic.

I mean if those are the rules of the MMMA then the site structure violates the rules. Several forums are going to have to be discarded. No more entertainment. Just destroy the whole Social Discussions area.

I suspect those aren't rules so much as guidelines. I certainly haven't noticed an over-emphasis on legalization. DN, your interpretation of these guidelines is as unpopular as it is counter-productive. Just look at your thread. A fun site is an active, healthy site. Celebrating our beloved genetics is fun and so is getting a groove on. We can do that and be politically active regarding medical Cannabis too.

I have to say I'm getting a mixed impression of you, DN. On one hand I'm sure you're really cool but on the other hand I hear you saying you are against legalization because you think there is a drug problem in this country and legal Cannabis would make it worse. I don't know how to understand that as anything but backwards. Combined with the ever-present middle finger it's kind of hard not to see you as antagonistic.

Hey, its your opinion and I learned I can't make everyone happy in life. I learn that some people are going to judge me early and thats that. I learned that those who sometimes preach individuality, rebuke others who are indivduals themselves.

I think plenty of people here know me, and would disagree with your impression that I am some dark person with ill intents on the MMMP.

The site structure has to be defined right? Thats what guidelines are for, when people don't follow guidelines, they become rules mods have to enforces. Make sense?

Nobody was told to leave or STFU, but people were asked kindly as possible to refocus on the purpose of the site.

DN

To me it is like this;

Some of the voters that helped pass our law are not for total legalization. Some of these people are probably offended by legalization talk mixed with medical talk. Just try to keep that in mind when you post. We don't want to alienate anyone at all, the med/legal crowd, or the strictly med crowd. We can live together using tact and the knowledge that we didn't all vote for medical for the same reasons.

We're not supposed to talk about such things here.

Archived